Likelihood I will get turned down a single entry tourist visa?

No, FD 316 based on historical data tends to leave KUL around 20:55 -21:00 KL time and tends to arrive around 21:45 BKK time.

The last train from Hua Lampong leaves at 22:00 and it's on the other side of the city.

It is a long slow journey gets in to CM about midday. There are normally different classes but the sleeper beds are often booked out. My knowledge is out of date but i think your only way maybe to end up in 3rd class bench seats. Happened to me once so i used the buffet car and ended up kipping on a slightly better sleep with the train staff and Policeman. There used to be a ticket office at Don Muang, not sure now or if open at that time of night.

Aren't there different classes for the train ride? First class seats not available? What's the cost going to be? How long is the ride? Sorry for all the questions, thank you for all the answers.

You'll probably only get a seat booking this late, and if you don't get a sleeper you're going to wish you'd taken the private jet. smile.png It's about 12 hours if I remember.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Gets there at 1210 if you are lucky. I would not rely on the info below or that all the class options are available, just have to see when you get there.

Train No.
Km.
Fares (No Fee) : Baht
Type of train
Express
First Class
Second Class
Third Class
Origin - Destination
Bangkok - Chiang Mai

that is 751 km, 593 first class and 121 third class. If i was a betting man i reckon only 3rd class will be available. If that is the case go to the buffet car, drink as much as you can before it shuts to help you suffer the journey.

that is 751 km, 593 first class and 121 third class. If i was a betting man i reckon only 3rd class will be available. If that is the case go to the buffet car, drink as much as you can before it shuts to help you suffer the journey.

It used to be quick and easy to get from airport to station, there was a bridge link. Have not done for ages though.

The bridge is still there. There are signs in terminal one pointing to it. I have used to go to the train station to find a taxi years ago.

It is a long slow journey gets in to CM about midday. There are normally different classes but the sleeper beds are often booked out. My knowledge is out of date but i think your only way maybe to end up in 3rd class bench seats. Happened to me once so i used the buffet car and ended up kipping on a slightly better sleep with the train staff and Policeman. There used to be a ticket office at Don Muang, not sure now or if open at that time of night.

There is still a ticket office at the train station. The ticket office will be open for as long as there are trains stopping there.

• Like 1

FML, lol... I'm gonna try to get first class, if that doesn't work out, going to grab some clothes (didn't pack for enough days it seems) and knock out at a hotel, leave early morning to Chiang Mai. Apparently I was "randomly selected" for a security check, which I found to be quite strange... Anyways I'm on flight now, and should be departing soon. Will keep updated about what happens once I arrive in Bangkok.

FML, lol... I'm gonna try to get first class, if that doesn't work out, going to grab some clothes (didn't pack for enough days it seems) and knock out at a hotel, leave early morning to Chiang Mai. Apparently I was "randomly selected" for a security check, which I found to be quite strange... Anyways I'm on flight now, and should be departing soon. Will keep updated about what happens once I arrive in Bangkok.

if it's a choice between going on the train and NCA bus to Chiang Mai it would be NCA hands down every time! they have their own terminal in Morchitt not far from Don Muang airport and if you are lucky enough to get a first-class bus to Chiang Mai it is truly first-class with airline style seats that go right back.

I wouldn't recommend a bus normally but NCA have an exemplary safety record and are really comfortable. If you can't get first-class even gold class is good

and you will be in Chiang Mai tomorrow morning

http://www.nca.co.th/main.html

here is the timetable

http://www.nca.co.th/timetable-bkk-ch.html

The last bus goes to Chiang Mai at 2330 and you can call them on the number 1624 on your mobile when you touch down and it's possible they will allow you to pay for the ticket at any 7/11 to secure your bookingsmile.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

I think unlikely you will get comfort on the train and the bus gets there 4 hours earlier. Double check the bus does leave from Mochit (not entirely clear to me from the website. If it does i guess a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport.

I think unlikely you will get comfort on the train and the bus gets there 4 hours earlier. Double check the bus does leave from Mochit (not entirely clear to me from the website. If it does i guess a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport.

they have their own dedicated company terminal at Mochit ( i.e. don't go to the big terminal that all the old buses go from)

here is a description from another website as to how to reach it

http://www.buriramexpats.com/forum/index.php?topic=6907.0

Got through immigration will post in more detail later, at the train station and need to make a quick decision, train gets here in 30 minutes, they don't have first class, but they have second class, with sleeper. Thoughts? Will I be comfortable? Comfortable enough to sleep?

Thank you all for all the help! Couldn't have done it without y'all. If there is a word that's "easier" than breeze, I would use it, because getting through immigration was an absolute breeze. She just looked through, stamp, stamp, stamp, and handed me over my passport. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer... Looking forward to this 12 hr train ride :D

• Like 1