Likelihood I will get turned down a single entry tourist visa?

Hey guys, so I haven't had the best past few days, my visa expired on April 16th, left the country at 9:10 AM on 22nd, paid the 3K baht 6 day overstay fee. I returned same day at 4:20PM, only to be denied entry into the country. I had to spend the night in the airport as there were no flights out of the country and they didn't let me go to my hotel room. I'm now back in Kuala Lumpur, and I'm going to be going into the Thai embassy as soon as they open up (Monday morning). I have never applied for a tourist single entry+ visa before. I have been in chiang Mai for 4 months total, both times I would just get a 30 day stay and extend it by 30 days at the immigration office. My question is, is it likely for them to turn me down a single entry tourist visa into Thailand? What can I do to increase the likelihood of me getting a visa so that I can re-enter Thailand? Thanks in advance!

You are unlikely to get a tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur. I recommend you go to Penang where you should get one easily, applying Monday morning and receiving the visa Tuesday early afternoon.

If you happen to disregard this advice, and try in KL anyway, can you please provide feedback on whether you were successful or not. Most people have stopped trying so we need reports to know if the situation there changes.

• Like 1

Also, any chance I can apply for the visa on a Sunday?

There is a Thai consulate in Kota Bharu, a conservative Islamic region of Malaysia that opens on Sundays. I am not aware of recent reports indicating success or failure in getting tourist visas there. If you are desperate to get a visa as soon as possible, it may be worth trying. Penang is more certain.

• Like 1

Forget about getting the visa in KL. It would be a waste of time to try.

Probably a bit late to go to Kota Bharu today.and apply for the visa there today. The consular section closes at 12 for applications. Info on location is here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kotabharu/th/organize/17232-%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88-%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%8C-%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%8C--Contact-Us.html

Penang will be closed tomorrow the 25th. They are doing a temporary move to another location while doing renovation of the current one. The temporary location is about 120 meters up the street from the current location.

• Like 1

post-246396-0-94936800-1461470441_thumb.post-246396-0-65472000-1461470459_thumb.

They gave me a very simple reason, they said something along the lines of "you can't re-enter Thailand, I saw you just this morning. This is not normal type of situation"

Edited by meer93

Is there anywhere else I can get a visa besides Penang? Perhaps Laos?

• You should have no problem getting a new visa in Laos as long as you haven't had several from there in the recent past.
  • Avoid Phnom Penh as there has been one (uncorroborated) report from someone being denied a visa due to overstay.

Is there anywhere else I can get a visa besides Penang? Perhaps Laos?

You were denied entry under Section 12 (2) "2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom."

Did they ask you to show financial proof (20k baht for example).

You could get a visa in Laos.

Since you are in Malaysia already you should try Kota Bharu or Penang.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

They gave me a very simple reason, they said something along the lines of "you can't re-enter Thailand, I saw you just this morning. This is not normal type of situation"

Interesting. It looks like you were denied entry under section 12 (2) of the immigration act.

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom

2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.

Immigration Act

Were you asked to show 10/20K in cash?

They did not ask for financial proof. I could have ran to ATM and pulled out 20K baht if asked. I don't want to risk the chance of being turned down, and I want to get this done ASAP, since Penang's immigration office is closed on Monday, I'm trying to think of my second best option. I have never gone to Laos fwiw.

I only need to stay in Thailand for less than 60 days, I don't need a single entry tourist visa, for any other reason than to be assured entry into Thailand. I tried to fly into cnx fwiw. What if I try to fly in bkk? While carrying 25K baht in cash?

I only need to stay in Thailand for less than 60 days, I don't need a single entry tourist visa, for any other reason than to be assured entry into Thailand. I tried to fly into cnx fwiw. What if I try to fly in bkk? While carrying 25K baht in cash?

You are basically at the mercy of the IO regardless of the airport. This denial stamp isn't going to do you any favours!

I wouldn't risk visa exempt entry at BKK, I would try to get a visa before entering again.

Edited by elviajero

They did not ask for financial proof. I could have ran to ATM and pulled out 20K baht if asked. I don't want to risk the chance of being turned down, and I want to get this done ASAP, since Penang's immigration office is closed on Monday, I'm trying to think of my second best option. I have never gone to Laos fwiw.

The evidently didn't follow procedures. CNX is known for being problematic when entering the country. You might not of even been bothered by immigration if you had flown into Bangkok (BKK) but DMK might of been different.

I think you would likely get your visa in Kota Bharu. Not many reports for them because many people avoid going there if traveling overland from here.

You could check for flights to Vientiane Laos and apply there in the morning. From there you could travel back overland if you wanted to.

Do you guys think it's unlikely I get denied entry into bkk if I try today? I could walk in there and if they ask why I was turned down, could say that it was because I didn't have enough cash, but that now I do? I mean if a second stamp in my passport won't hurt the chances of me getting a tourist visa in Laos, then I wouldn't mind trying. I have nothing better to do today. Thoughts?

Do you guys think it's unlikely I get denied entry into bkk if I try today? I could walk in there and if they ask why I was turned down, could say that it was because I didn't have enough cash, but that now I do? I mean if a second stamp in my passport won't hurt the chances of me getting a tourist visa in Laos, then I wouldn't mind trying. I have nothing better to do today. Thoughts?

I doubt anyone can provide the assurance you are seeking.

That stamp will raise a big red flag at immigration and even if you have 20K Bht another reason for denial could be found.

In my opinion you should get a tourist visa before attempting to re-enter Thailand

• Like 2

Do you know if a second stamp in my passport would decrease the chances of me getting a Thai tourist visa?

I would not try doing another entry without a tourist visa.

Getting another denial of entry stamp would make it even more difficult to enter the country. It likely would not prevent you from getting a visa.

Do you know if a second stamp in my passport would decrease the chances of me getting a Thai tourist visa?

You were denied because the IO didn't like the fact that you were re-entering immediately after clearing an overstay and without a visa. They couldn't deny entry for that reason so picked the first reason they could use to legally justify denying entry. IMO, in your case, even showing 20K would not have helped.

If you do try re-entry at BKK (not recommended) and get denied you have the right to appeal. You would then have the opportunity to prove you have the means to stay and are a genuine tourist, but you would be detained until the appeal was considered and decided. That could be hours or days. What proof would be acceptable/required is unknown.

Embassies/Consulates can deny a visa to anyone for any reason, and don't even have to give a reason. Having an overstay stamp and recent entry denial is unlikely to go down well wherever you apply, but as your situation is unique/rare it is anyones guess how a tourist visa application will be treated. People have got visas from Laos immediately following an overstay so it is worth while trying.

IMO you have a very good chance of re-entering with a tourist visa, 20K (min required) and an onward flight, and little chance of re-entering using visa exempt entry.

Edited by elviajero

Getting another denial of entry stamp would make it even more difficult to enter the country. It likely would not prevent you from getting a visa.

Do you mean, it likely would prevent me from getting a visa? I mean if there is at least a 50% chance that I'm let in, I am willing to take that risk, as long as it would not prevent me from getting a single entry tourist visa in Laos.

You were denied because the IO didn't like the fact that you were re-entering immediately after clearing an overstay and without a visa. They couldn't deny entry for that reason so picked the first reason they could use to legally justify denying entry. IMO, in your case, even showing 20K would not have helped.

If you do try to re-entry at BKK (not recommended) and get denied you have the right to appeal. You would then have the opportunity to prove you have the means to stay and are a genuine tourist, but you would be detained until the appeal was considered and decided. That could be hours or days. What proof would be acceptable/required is unknown.

Embassies/Consulates can deny a visa to anyone for any reason, and don't even have to give a reason. Having an overstay stamp and recent entry denial is unlikely to go down well wherever you apply, but as your situation is unique/rare it is anyones guess how a tourist visa application will be treated. People have got visas from Laos immediately following an overstay so it is worth while trying.

IMO you have a very good chance of re-entering with a tourist visa, 20K (min required) and an onward flight, and little chance of re-entering using visa exempt entry.

Thank you for the informative answer. Will fly to Laos today, does anyone know if it's open on Monday (tomorrow)?

Do you mean, it likely would prevent me from getting a visa? I mean if there is at least a 50% chance that I'm let in, I am willing to take that risk, as long as it would not prevent me from getting a single entry tourist visa in Laos.

IF you collect Denied Entry stamps you will reduce the chances of being allowed entry even if you have a visa.

Why take the risk for the sake of a couple of days ?

• Like 1

If you do try to re-entry at BKK (not recommended) and get denied you have the right to appeal. You would then have the opportunity to prove you have the means to stay and are a genuine tourist, but you would be detained until the appeal was considered and decided. That could be hours or days. What proof would be acceptable/required is unknown.

Thank you for the informative answer. Will fly to Laos today, does anyone know if it's open on Monday (tomorrow)?

Both the Vientiane Embassy and Savannakhet Consulate are open on Monday. You apply in the morning (Before 11 am) and collect the visa the following afternoon (2 pm).

Yes the consular section of the embassy in Vientiane will be open tomorrow. I suggest you be there early since Mondays are busy days.

Can someone explain to me why they put NTL BY THAILAND on his Malaysian exit stamp. NTL I believe means Not To Land.

Just my opinion, but I think it's a simple notation so that Malaysian Immigration know that the person was denied entry "No To Land" in Thailand.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me why they put NTL BY THAILAND on his Malaysian exit stamp. NTL I believe means Not To Land.

Just my opinion, but I think it's a simple notation so that Malaysian Immigration know that the person was denied entry "No To Land" in Thailand.
Unless it was written by Malaysian immigration themselves before the OP boarded his flight to Thailand,meaning they were aware the OP cannot land in Thailand for maybe other reasons that we are not aware of?

It would be good to understand who wrote the NTL comment, Malaysian or Thai Immigration.

Can the OP clarify?

Edited by lkv

It is also of interest to note that some countries will refuse admission to a person with a Refused Entry stamp from a different country.

Assuming that Malaysian Immi wrote that on the 22 April at lunch time and the OP got rejected later on in the day when he landed in Thailand. So in this scenario was the Malaysian Immi already aware that the OP should not travel to Thailand?

What am I missing here?