How Old is Too Old?

Philip550

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good that Nancy L sees such a positive side of Chiang Mai, i really like the town as well, but it really should not be overlooked that it has been horribly polluted (with all the burning) for nearly 3 months this year. The OP is not somebody who needs to live on a Chiang Mai budget !

If you're coming with your wife, then I'd recommend it. Ensures that you don't have to deal with the head/heartache of dealing with Thai women. You also don't have to be afraid of balconies...

Unless you have a failure dealing with head/heartaches from Thai women.

And the missus finds out...........................sad.png

290,000 baht/month means you can live just about anywhere on the planet. I would recommend 3 - 6 months in Thailand, and 3-6 months in Vietnam. Danang and Dalat both good in their own ways - Danang for beaches, Dalat for climate. Better infrastructure in Thailand.

I'm 72, living in Chiang Mai for 7 years now. Wish I had come earlier.

In Vietnam

1. there is a very limited expat scene. In Dalat there is the backpacker street sad.png , in Danang about three foreign aimed bars, which were boring and empty when I visitedsad.png .

2. you will go insane with the continuous noise of vehicle horns.

3. food is cr4p.

4. nobody speaks any English.

5. opening bank accounts, buying vehicles is all way more tedious than Thailand.

6. they are always cheating on prices to the point that it simply becomes a constant chore going out to eat and buying stuff.

Your experience was different to mine, perhaps that was because of different priorities.

1. As a two week tourist, I wasn't interested in the expat or bar scene.

2. Vehicle horns depend on where you stay. Granted they are excessive; however, in the quieter areas usually gone by 10 pm.

3. Quite liked the food, especially the breakfasts. Although I'll admit Pho Bo is a bit boring.

4. I was pleasantly surprised by how many Vietnamese spoke English. Ran into several who wanted to practise with me.

5. Used the ATM's. Taxis are so cheap it's not worth buying a car even for someone there long-term.

6. Never felt cheated on prices, always fun to haggle.

I was quite surprised by the limited police/military presence. For a Communist country, I thought it was far less visible than in Thailand.

Having traveled extensively. Getting old, seeing people get older. Consider being in nursing home or bed bedridden, self-loathing about I should have done this-or-that when I could have done this-or-that. As far as, meeting your maker, that's the one worry you don't need to task yourself. It will happen. And for nearly all, it will not be pleasant. So, how old is too old. When you are too old.

Intrinsically you're not too old. I'd say though that it has to be CM, anywhere else, presuming your missus is of a similar age to yourself and of the same ethnic origin and people are going to think that you've brought your mum with you (or mom if you're from the USA).

If at all possible keep a property available back home for the three/three and a half months when CM is at it's most polluted. I'd say it's the best if not the only place in Thailand suitable for elderly, foreign couples for all the reasons already stated and indicated.

laolover88, rogeroc, daveAustin and NancyL are, in my view, the most pertinent posts.

Edited by piersbeckett

Phil,

​ You have not left yet? Being too old is part of your "MINDSET-YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD!" I am 69 (70 in Dec), I live in Ubon Ratchathani for six months in a house that my Thai wife help build when I was 65 on 17 rai and spend the other back in the United States (RVing). We hub out of Ubon and travel throughout SE Asia-Spent New Year at Hong Kong 2015-2016. Jump in there and spend 6 months and see how it feels. Have "FUN!" Good Luck in your endeavor

Edited by Dan747

With your large monthly income, you should have no problem with any financial issue. As you know, living here in Thailand is much more affordable than the west. Try saving some of your income anyway since you don'have a large nest for upfront medical emergencies. You'll do fine.

If I had a dream to live somewhere and the means to do it, you wouldn't see my heals for dust. When are people going to understand that nothing has to be chiseled in stone, nothing is permanent, you can always go back if it doesn't work out....it's not like going to prison.

I follow my dreams whenever I can and don't spend half my life thinking about them first.

I originally came here for a convention 15 years ago, my first time to Asia and Thailand, loved it so much I went back home, sold my house and gave up my job and retired here, never gave it a second thought. Sorry, I did take a couple of seconds considering the job thing until I remembered what an older person once said to me....she said...Son, when a person is lying on their death bed and they are asked..."Looking back over your life, have you any regrets?"...you will never hear them answer...."Yes, I wish I spent more time in the office".

Doesnt really matter what anyone says here. No one can answer this for you and your hesitation probably is all the answer you need. If you think you are, you probably are. Also if its taken you 15 years to get to this point I also question your ability to make "crucial decisions with relative ease" Just stick to being a holiday maker and enjoy your time and friends here when your here.

Very true and I can only answer for myself.

If I did not have a Thai girlfriend and I was either single or married to a non-Thai still living in England, I would not consider retiring to Thailand for many reasons. If I could be given my chance again, I`d consider retiring to one of the European Mediterranean countries, probably Spain or Portugal would be my choice.

It`s not easy making new Farlang friends here, the visa issues get more complicated every year, the language barrier that stops Farlangs getting close with the Thais and being under the thumb scared to say boo to a goose. Thailand is nowhere as cheap as it used to be and retirees get no concessions whatsoever for bringing over and spending our lifetime`s money over here.

I`m here now and making the most of it, happy in my own way, but I think there are better options for retirees in other countries and all should be researched before thinking about settling in Thailand.

Go for it - and ignore the childish comments about your wife. Some people have a chip on their shoulder about western women.

Some people have a chip on their shoulder about people who have a chip on their shoulder about western women.

Thailand is a pretty good place to retire to, as long as you have money. This is particular important for health issues which, as mentioned, can become very expensive here. So either have insurance or a very large bank balance.

Most services work fairly well, accommodation and eating out doesnt cost too much (though alcohol isnt cheap), and it's quite cheap to hire people to do things for you (though not always easy to find them or to get them to understand what you want done).

The above section which I have bolded is a statement far too many foreigners moving to Thailand just don't get.

I consider it to be an optimistic view. The reality is that if someone has a chronic health condition such as heart disease, respiratory illness, cancer, or other vital organ disease, Thailand is not the place to be. Outcomes for people who suffer from these illnesses is poor.

"Nothing ventured is nothing gained"

As thought provoking as I can be, or helping with considering your, and family's, destiny with life:

1) Are you happy where you are? And, does this happiness continue without ever 'testing the waters'? If, yes, stay in this happiness.

or

2) Will you feel you missed-out on something; you didn't try, before age is the significant deterrent for any change. If, yes, then you must fulfill the curiosity.

You are luckier than most, who don't even have this opportunity at all; opportunity not gained or attempted is a 'waste' of a life ventured.

Of course, coming back is always a choice you will have, if the horizon isn't what you expected.

Best wishes

P.S. I am very 'happy' in Thailand! And, truly, happiness is what you make of it.

Perhaps the part missing in your equation is what you already said, in that you never made a trip to Thailand with your wife before. I know the Single Wild Life here in Pattaya Thailand and also the Married Life here, settled down in a Village, and this is about as opposite as one can get. So the truth is you don't know what married life here is yet and why you are so hesitant to move now. So I suggest you do 2 things.

The first thing is to set up your Visas back home and come here with your wife for a few months. Find a place to rent equal to what you would have if you lived here and see what that is like, You can get a rental agreement for 6 months at a time. You don't have to burn all your bridges back home right away like sell your property there.

The second thing is you need to realize you are just moving to Thailand and not to the Moon or Mars. By most standards you are a 12 hour trip away from being home. I have taken longer car rides in Canada than that. So there is nothing keeping you or making you stay if you don't like it. Just hop in a plane and go as the most you can lose on a rental place is 2 months rent money.

you leave room for a lot of questions... what do you think is holding you back. You have certainly spent enough time here to know that you have a good time here and that is still replicable at 65... being 65 won't change the fun,

Tell that to the sad 65+ year old sods who found out the hard (and expensive) way that running around getting drunk, eating crap and over-reliance on little blue pills is a game for the young.

Routine medical stuff is cheap but if anything serious happens and you're not insured (very pricey), woe betide.

This is not an old swinger's retirement home.

Best stay home

I moved to Philippines when I was 65 now want to live in Chiang mai at 68 one thing don't burn your bridges in UK if you own a house rent it out always have an escape plan ready just in case. I do know how your feeling its a massive step to take. Walk away from what you know and understand to walk into the unknown is scary.

Renting your property gives you worries and concerns that you do not need when retired. The OP is quite wealthy, he could sell his property in the US / UK wherever and still afford to rent back in his home country if he needed at a later date. When you are young buy property to invest for the future, when you are old rent property to give you ultimate freedom and spend until you die.Don't take the money to the graveyard or give to your kids when they are too old to need it !

You sound comfortable, but are you happy ? Moving to Thailand might be fun. Most people, including my wife and I, seem to get bored with Thailand after eight years. Some will say they have lived there for 50 years and are still happy. An 85 year old buddy travels from Mongolia to Indonesia. Moving around is the best way to stay happy.

Or just a way to disguise unhappiness. Happiness comes from within, not your location. If you can't be happy in one country, it's very unlikely the other country will change things.

Edited by tropo