PM to Travel by Train to Sihanoukville

geovalin

Khmer Times/Cheang Sokha

In an effort at promote the Kingdom’s railways, Prime Minister Hun Sen will travel from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville by train on April 30, and has promised to post many pictures of his travels on Facebook. Speaking at a cabinet meeting on Friday, the premier said he will be accompanied to Sihanoukville by Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol.

“I want to see how good, comfortable Cambodia’s train is. I want to promote transportation by train,” the prime minister said. After several years of renovation of both the southern train line from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville and the northern line from Phnom Penh to Banteay Meanchey province, the southern line was opened to the public on April 9.

According to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport website, Mr. Chanthol also met Royal Railway CEO John Guiry on Friday to discuss the railway’s ongoing operations. Mr. Guiry said that trains from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville run three days a week, from Friday to Sunday, leaving the station in Phnom Penh at 7 am and taking about seven hours to reach Sihanoukville, stopping first in Takeo and Kampot provinces.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/24161/pm-to-travel-by-train-to-sihanoukville/

It's been some 7 years since I done it---but the bus trip was fine, quick, cheap, comfortable, & about the best road they had in Cambodia (at that time) with a few toilet/food stops thrown in.

Can't help noticing the difference between the Thai girls and the Kemmers -----Cambodia the smell of fresh backed bread is everywhere, as the girls piled on the bus ...with their baguettes & French stick loaves,I would be as big as a house if I lived there........coffee1.gif