Australian teen charged with plotting alleged ANZAC terror attack

webfact

Australian teen charged with plotting alleged terror attack
By KRISTEN GELINEAU

SYDNEY (AP) — A teenager was charged with plotting a terrorist attack on an Australian Veteran's Day ceremony, police said Monday, the second year in a row authorities say they have thwarted an attack linked to the national holiday.

The 16-year-old boy was charged with one count of planning a terrorist act after being arrested at his home in western Sydney on Sunday, one day before Australians across the country gathered at ceremonies to mark ANZAC Day. The annual holiday commemorates the April 25, 1915, Gallipoli landings in Turkey — the first major military action fought by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during World War I.

Police believe the teen was acting alone, and he had previously been on authorities' radar, New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said. The teen's home was searched, but Scipione declined to say if anything was seized. He would not release any other details of the alleged plot.

The teen was expected to face a children's court later Monday. He could face a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted.

This is the second year in a row that police say they have stopped an attack on an ANZAC Day ceremony. Last year, police in Melbourne arrested five teenagers on suspicion of plotting an Islamic State group-inspired attack intended to coincide with the city's ANZAC service.

The age of the Sydney suspect was troubling but unsurprising, Justice Minister Michael Keenan said.

"Unfortunately, this is part of a pattern that we have been observing, where younger and younger people are targeted and incited to go and commit an act of terror," Keenan told reporters in Perth.

Australia's government raised the country's terror threat level in 2014 in response to the domestic threat posed by supporters of the Islamic State group. Police have since conducted dozens of raids they say have been aimed at thwarting multiple plots in Australia, including an alleged plan to attack government buildings and a naval base in Sydney.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-25

OK...so I'm gonna really go out on a limb here and pull a wild guess right out of my ass and assume this kid doesn't look anything like a bushman or Aborigine or Steve Irwin or Paul Hogan or a kangaroo, but DOES have an affiliation with The Superstition of Peace.

Anyone think I'm wrong?

Wanna bet?

Edited by Skeptic7

Life sentence ? at a cost of around 10 million dollars to the taxpayer ? Wouldn,t it be more humane and make more sense to give him the big goodbye ?

Are you suggesting a 16 year old boy should be put to death to save money?

Australia provides material military support to America's complete pointless Middle East wars. The saying goes, "The friend of my enemy is my enemy."

ANZAC Day is certainly a fitting target promoting current wars under the guise of morning past ones. One only needs to notice Australian racism against immigrant communities to see wherefrom the resentment builds. How would you like to live in a place, no matter the standard of living, whose populace doesn't really want you and doesn't accept you or respect your culture all the while govt is bombing your homeland.

It is most unfortunate that this teenager will be stitched up in a racist kangaroo court.

Edited by facthailand

Life sentence ? at a cost of around 10 million dollars to the taxpayer ? Wouldn,t it be more humane and make more sense to give him the big goodbye ?

Why not? Terrorists, crazies/psychos and murderers are not an endangered species...just DANGEROUS

"How would you like to live in a place, no matter the standard of living, whose populace doesn't really want you and doesn't accept you or respect your culture all the while govt is bombing your homeland."

The same could be said about those that immigrate to a country, and then show no respect for their adopted country's culture or laws, or those that seek to terrorize this same adopted country in an attempt to impose their draconian religious laws.

Did i miss the news reports that the USA has been bombing Australia causing such hate? Or terrible famine and poverty there? Those are the reasons I have been reading about on this very forum for the Islamic violence. Clearly something else is responsible for causing such hate and desire to harm others. Any guesses as to the common theme?

Apologies for guessing an islamic connection to the attack against Australian civilization. I do realize it could have been Abos or tanked up poms too.

It would also improve the gene pool, and that's before he marries his cousin.

Did i miss the news reports that the USA has been bombing Australia causing such hate? Or terrible famine and poverty there? Those are the reasons I have been reading about on this very forum for the Islamic violence. Clearly something else is responsible for causing such hate and desire to harm others. Any guesses as to the common theme?

Apologies for guessing an islamic connection to the attack against Australian civilization. I do realize it could have been Abos or tanked up poms too.

Last year the guy was identified as liaising with an Australian recruiter for Deash in Syria and put under surveillance / deradicalisation program. Obviously deradicalisation in this instance was a failure and now under review. Last week he allegedly tried to identify how to purchase a firearm via the internet which triggered his arrest - thankfully the youth is a fool.

As to the nonsense comments, Australia is currently investing about 700 million dollars a year to finance RAAF bombing of Daesh targets in Iraq and Eastern Syria, airborne command & surveillance to assist coalition forces as well as on the ground training for Iraqi armed forces. It would seem the arrested youth was deluded enough to attempt a terror event in Oz in response. In addition ADF has had forces in Afghanistan for more than 11 years, with currently a planned further three year presence. To date 42 Oz forces deaths in Afghanistan out of a total of 25,000 personnel rotated.

For those interested, cost of Oz major oversea military operations 2001 - 2014.

Operation Slipper (Afghanistan) - $6.9 billion

Operation Astute (East Timor) - $4.3 billion

Operation Catalyst (Iraq) - $2.3 billion

Operation Anode (Solomon Islands) - $346 million

TOTAL for all operations — $15.2 billion.

Edited by simple1

Australia provides material military support to America's complete pointless Middle East wars. The saying goes, "The friend of my enemy is my enemy."

ANZAC Day is certainly a fitting target promoting current wars under the guise of morning past ones. One only needs to notice Australian racism against immigrant communities to see wherefrom the resentment builds. How would you like to live in a place, no matter the standard of living, whose populace doesn't really want you and doesn't accept you or respect your culture all the while govt is bombing your homeland.

It is most unfortunate that this teenager will be stitched up in a racist kangaroo court.

Is your "homeland" where you were born, where you were given free medical and education, and where your more discerning parents sought refuge, or the anus of the world they fled?

Is it unfortunate that this teenager will be treated like any other mental defective who thinks he has the right to kill innocents, or that he was brainwashed as a child into believing in a mythical god who appreciates such actions, allowing him to be influenced by other semi-retarded in-bred killers?

Why not? Terrorists, crazies/psychos and murderers are not an endangered species...just DANGEROUS

Because Australia is not ISIS or Saudi Arabia or governed by Sharia Law. That's why. If killing 16 year old boys / girls is aligned with your values and disrespect for human life then maybe you should move to Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Syria where this kind of barbaric, uncivilised behaviour is accepted.

This young man has been accused of allegedly being involved in criminal behaviour and will be dealt with by the Justice system. As he should be. No more no less.

Simple1 I noticed he has become before the NSW Supreme Court to face these allegations. That means the Maximum sentence of 25 years to Life is on the table. Lower Courts can't impose this sentence.

15 billion dollars on these stupid Wars! Give me strength.

Last year the guy was identified as liaising with an Australian recruiter for Deash in Syria and put under surveillance / deradicalisation program. Obviously deradicalisation in this instance was a failure and now under review.

Obviously. Out of a matter of interest does anyone know of a successful de-radicalization program, the Saudis don't have good results from what I hear and if they don't understand how Islam is misunderstood who does?

Out of a matter of interest does anyone know of a successful de-radicalization program?

I have read the German HAYAT program achieves some success, apparently it's similar to the previous Nazi deradicalisation system, EXIT (?). Oz authorities also claim some success. Based upon statistical probability don't imagine any deradicalisation program would have a 100% success; don't know about other countries.

Edited by simple1

Last year the guy was identified as liaising with an Australian recruiter for Deash in Syria and put under surveillance / deradicalisation program. Obviously deradicalisation in this instance was a failure and now under review.

Obviously. Out of a matter of interest does anyone know of a successful de-radicalization program, the Saudis don't have good results from what I hear and if they don't understand how Islam is misunderstood who does?

I have no idea about global "good results" or success rates. Obviously these can be defined in many ways. Also, meaningful assessment of positive results is related to long term follow up research, doubt this is possible in all cases. As with many other forms of programs directed at attitude and habit adjustments, going back to one's old ways may occur without "maintenance". Once again, I think most deradicalization programs would face problems implementing relevant procedures (especially in Western countries).

A couple of relevant links:

Anzac Day terror plot: Do deradicalisation programs really work?

http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/anzac-day-terror-plot-do-deradicalisation-programs-really-work/news-story/62dfccc34da6796a1c10476eec8e7096

Almost 4,000 people referred to UK deradicalisation scheme last year

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/20/almost-4000-people-were-referred-to-uk-deradicalisation-scheme-channel-last-year

Last year the guy was identified as liaising with an Australian recruiter for Deash in Syria and put under surveillance / deradicalisation program. Obviously deradicalisation in this instance was a failure and now under review. Last week he allegedly tried to identify how to purchase a firearm via the internet which triggered his arrest - thankfully the youth is a fool.

As to the nonsense comments, Australia is currently investing about 700 million dollars a year to finance RAAF bombing of Daesh targets in Iraq and Eastern Syria, airborne command & surveillance to assist coalition forces as well as on the ground training for Iraqi armed forces. It would seem the arrested youth was deluded enough to attempt a terror event in Oz in response. In addition ADF has had forces in Afghanistan for more than 11 years, with currently a planned further three year presence. To date 42 Oz forces deaths in Afghanistan out of a total of 25,000 personnel rotated.

For those interested, cost of Oz major oversea military operations 2001 - 2014.

Operation Slipper (Afghanistan) - $6.9 billion

Operation Astute (East Timor) - $4.3 billion

Operation Catalyst (Iraq) - $2.3 billion

Operation Anode (Solomon Islands) - $346 million

TOTAL for all operations — $15.2 billion.

The Fine Art of Baloney Detection

The human understanding is no dry light, but receives infusion from

the will and affections; whence proceed sciences which may be called

`sciences as one would'. For what a man had rather were true he more

readily believes. Therefore he rejects difficult things from impatience of

research; sober things, because they narrow hope; the deeper things of

nature, from superstition; the light of experience, from arrogance and

pride; things not commonly believed, out of deference to the opinion of

the vulgar. Numberless in short are the ways, and sometimes

imperceptible, in which the affections colour and infect the

understanding.

Carl Sagan "The Demon Haunted World"

Slams both "sides" for their ignorance and stupidity.

OK...so I'm gonna really go out on a limb here and pull a wild guess right out of my ass and assume this kid doesn't look anything like a bushman or Aborigine or Steve Irwin or Paul Hogan or a kangaroo, but DOES have an affiliation with The Superstition of Peace.

Anyone think I'm wrong?

Wanna bet?

Clearly the kid isn't doing it the proper aussie way. Getting drunk before king hitting a serviceman would have meant the kid had totally assimilated.

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/navy-officer-was-standing-up-for-veterans-and-children-before-king-hit-girlfriend-20160426-goex4v.html

Because Australia is not ISIS or Saudi Arabia or governed by Sharia Law. That's why. If killing 16 year old boys / girls is aligned with your values and disrespect for human life then maybe you should move to Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Syria where this kind of barbaric, uncivilised behaviour is accepted.

This young man has been accused of allegedly being involved in criminal behaviour and will be dealt with by the Justice system. As he should be. No more no less.

Instead we accept people from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Syria where this kind of barbaric, uncivilised behaviour is accepted, and allow them to inflict it on Australian citizens.

Instead we accept people from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Syria where this kind of barbaric, uncivilised behaviour is accepted, and allow them to inflict it on Australian citizens.

What a stupid statement. When has Australia allowed barbaric, uncivilised behaviour from people from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia or Syria? You commit a crime you are arrested and bought before the Courts. If a person murders a 16 year old boy they are in serious trouble and it wouldn't matter what country the murderer came from.

What a stupid statement. When has Australia allowed barbaric, uncivilised behaviour from people from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia or Syria? You commit a crime you are arrested and bought before the Courts. If a person murders a 16 year old boy they are in serious trouble and it wouldn't matter what country the murderer came from.

While so busy claiming stupidity, you miss the point. We accept people from these countries, and now have to guard ourselves, at great cost, against "this kind of barbaric, uncivilised behaviour". Rather than claiming the killing of a would-be terrorist is barbaric, admit that there would be no problem if we had not accepted his family.

BTW I firmly believe that if the Lindt cafe terrorist had been shot dead at the first possible opportunity, 2 Australian citizens would be alive today.

While so busy claiming stupidity, you miss the point. We accept people from these countries, and now have to guard ourselves, at great cost, against "this kind of barbaric, uncivilised behaviour". Rather than claiming the killing of a would-be terrorist is barbaric, admit that there would be no problem if we had not accepted his family.

BTW I firmly believe that if the Lindt cafe terrorist had been shot dead at the first possible opportunity, 2 Australian citizens would be alive today.

No I didn't miss the point at all. The very fact that this young man is in prison facing serious charges demonstrates Australia does not tolerate criminal behaviour from anyone be they black brown beige or brindle.

What - British, Italian, German, Dutch, Irish, Greek or tenth generation immigrants haven't committed serious crimes including rape and mass murder? Of course they have. Will you be executing them as well or just Australian citizens of Arabic descent? Fact is if you want to start executing 16 year old children you need to move to another country because it is simply never going to happen in Australia.

Genius, I hope if I and twenty people with a lunatic with a shotgun pointed to our heads and an explosive device in a backpack I hope you are not around to take pot shots at him because we are all dead. All very well and good being an expert AFTER the fact.

Does this mean that you believe that the Saudi do not misunderstand Islam? That their version of the religion is a decent one? How far in the bag are you for the Saudis?