Small Thai fish in a big bowl on your balcony

I would like to buy one of those big bowls with small fish and water lilies etc. If the bowl has been established for a while and there is plenty of algae in it is it possible to only feed the fish once a week (as I don't have much money). Just kidding! I

only stay in my condo one day a week.

Cheers.

Go to your local "Plants and Stuff" place, pick a suitable container (make sure it doesn't have drainage holes.

Fill with water (when you get it home).

Get lilies at the same place, don't remove them from the pot they come in, just sink it in the water.

Get fish from someone who already has them, you only need a few they seem to be always pregnant.

The fish manage quite nicely without being fed regularly, eating mosquito larvae etc, although the odd bit of food won't go amiss. Ours get fed when I'm home (weekends) Wifey forgets.

I've got a couple of bowls and I feed mine once a week if i remember. Get the live breeding fish that don't lay eggs, there are many varieties. Buy a dozen, and in 3 months you'll have five dozen. Make sure there is weed/algae where the fry can hide until they're big enough not to get eaten.

They tend to die off of their own accord either through old age or some disease, but a few always survive - wait 3 more months and you're back up to a few more dozen.

I once counted over a hundred and fifty fry in one bowl when several females seemed to give birth at the same time. Within a week that number was down to about thirty. Natural selection.

I used to segragate the fry but then you end up with millions of the little sods, so now I just let nature take its course.

I used to segragate the fry but then you end up with millions of the little sods, so now I just let nature take its course.

The locals call them "One Thousand Fish" for a reason :)

For some reason they don't do well in tanks with air and filters, but leave them in a bowl in the garden and they go mad.

I'm always amazed at what can live in those pots.......... Thai proverb "in the fields there is rice and in the water there are fish" seems to hold true

Guppies thrive in those earthenware pots with just a few water lily's as protection from the sun they need very little food as they will eat algae and insects that are attracted to the water...

Is this what you had in mind? The problem we had was birds helping themselves to the fish which we solved by placing the screen on top. My wife feeds them daily but as already stated a couple times a week would be ok.

post-11958-0-49738700-1461579756_thumb.j

post-11958-0-78473300-1461579793_thumb.j

post-11958-0-70246600-1461579824_thumb.j

post-11958-0-40435500-1461579855_thumb.j

I did this 1 month ago

Got a pot, lillys, water treatment, then waited 4 days then put 9 guppies in there, one week later all dead

My guess is the plants what she took from a pond

Any ideal anyone I want to do it again but not if the fish die

I have kept fish many times in my life but in a normal aquarium never had any problems

I did this 1 month ago

Got a pot, lillys, water treatment, then waited 4 days then put 9 guppies in there, one week later all dead

My guess is the plants what she took from a pond

Any ideal anyone I want to do it again but not if the fish die

I have kept fish many times in my life but in a normal aquarium never had any problems

That, or maybe the water treatment did them in? I just use regular city water, which is basically pond water to begin with bah.gif or rain water when it rains, and off they go.

Same for my larger garden pond. I had just a submersible pump pushing the water through a hose, recircing back in the other end, just to move/aerate the water, but it did get pretty mucky in there, so I hooked the pump up to one of those blue barrel filters you see at the garden/aquarium shops. Much better. I keep the bottom dirt/mud scooped out, remove leaves daily, maybe give it a light scrub twice a year and clean the filter materials every few months. Otherwise not much effort like aquariums I've had in the past, and no problems with any of the fish.

Edited by 55Jay

OP asked for Thai fish. Guppies and Platys aren't. Go for 1 or the other. I wouldn't get both, you'll just end up with not very attractive hybrids.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Biggest problem I had was not so much the increase in fish numbers but the increase in the number of flying rats( pidgeons ). Net stopped them a bit but rain topped it up and they could still get the water.

Drilled two small holes about 2 inches down from the edge and the problem disappeared.

I was wondering about having Thai fish as well as some colourful fish, but I'll stick with the Thai fish first as not to create hybrid creaturessmile.png

I don't think there are any pigeons where I live, but maybe they'll arrive when fresh fish arrives?

Does anyone know a 'pots and plants' place around Pattaya/Jomtien area?

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

OP asked for Thai fish. Guppies and Platys aren't. Go for 1 or the other. I wouldn't get both, you'll just end up with not very attractive hybrids.

This is the first time I've heard of plattys and guppies mating. I've kept

a mix of both in the same pot for 3 plus years now and not a single hybrid offspring in all that time.

Edited by djayz

This is the first time I've heard of plattys and guppies mating. I've kept

a mix of both in the same pot for 3 plus years now and not a single hybrid offspring in all that time.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080901071429AAXhibk

Yes they it seems, I am sure it happend in one of my tanks about 30 years ago when I was a kid, but I had to check

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk