Chiang Mai: Man Dies After Falling 20 Metres Down a Waterfall

webfact

Man Dies After Falling 20 Metres Down a Waterfall
by CityNews

fell-down-waterfall.jpg

CityNews – On April 22, Police were called to Pu Muen waterfall in Mae Ai where a man had slipped and fell to his death.

The body of 38-year-old Jaroen Tijai was found with a severe wound to his head.

According to witnesses, Jaroen was on holiday with five relatives. Before they went for lunch, he left the group to play in the water on the fourth level of Pu Muen waterfall.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/man-dies-falling-20-metres-waterfall/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-04-26

...the risks should be obvious....

...if not...they should be indicated.....

....sadly the victims are 'the trade-off' of the tourist industry and its shortcomings...

...condolences to the family....

...another terrible...ironic tragedy........

...go on vacation.....and die.....

RIP, very sad.

I saw the pictures of Grand Canyon on TV, now that is an accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, not so much:

"About 12 deaths happen each year at the Grand Canyon including from natural causes, medical problems, suicide, heat, drowning, and traffic crashes. On average, two to three deaths per year are from falls over the rim, park spokeswoman Kirby-Lynn Shedlowski said. Grand Canyon National Park had almost 4.8 million visitors in 2014."

http://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/falling-to-death-grand-canyon/

are we talking about Grand Canyon here in Thailand, or the other one??

The local one is indeed an accident waiting to happen. No guard rails, no life preservers, no life lines.

Very sad, indeed. And obviously the fault of shoddy safety practices... ALL the waterfalls in the USA woods are especially well tended, with a lifeguard on duty every day during daylight hours, and motion-sensors to sound alarms should someone enter at night time.

In the US, all naturally occurring high places have safety rails. There is a chain-link safety barrier along both sides of the American Grand Canyon for its full length! There are warning signs and guards posted 24/7, and NO ONE is EVER allowed to walk into the woods by themselves. Above 4.000 feet in the Rocky Mountains, there are guard rails along every trail, and no one is permitted to go on them without proper climbing equipment that has met stringent safety requirements. The American KNOW safety is important.

But even with this rigid safety protocol, accidents can happen. One her death bed, my Grandmother called me over, and handed me a 7.62 rifle bullet. She said "Keep this close to you at all time and you'll be safe." I put it in my pocket and forgot about it. Sometime latter, as I was walking down the street in, what I thought, was a safe neighborhood, a crazy man jumped out of a doorway and hurled a Bible at me with all his might! That Bible hit me square in the chest and I thought I was a goner... But... it actually hit me in the pocket that held that rifle bullet, which stopped the Bible from penetrating! Had it not been for that rifle bullet I'd be a dead man today... We just can't be safe all the time... :)

A bloke fell down a cliff.

Where was his 'wife'?

Were any medications found near the fall spot?

CCTV?

Partially clothed?

Cigarette butts found?

C'mon guys we can do better than just assuming this was a 'suicide' or god forbid....an accident...shock1.gif

Feel free to contribute more conspiracy theories.

Bugger....just read the OP again.....seems he was Thai not a foreigner

Case closed.

RIP old mate...too young.

RIP, very sad.

I saw the pictures of Grand Canyon on TV, now that is an accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, not so much:

"About 12 deaths happen each year at the Grand Canyon including from natural causes, medical problems, suicide, heat, drowning, and traffic crashes. On average, two to three deaths per year are from falls over the rim, park spokeswoman Kirby-Lynn Shedlowski said. Grand Canyon National Park had almost 4.8 million visitors in 2014."

Wrong one, the one mentioned previously is in Chiang Mai. Very interesting place, scared tge crap out of me, but i hate heights.

are we talking about Grand Canyon here in Thailand, or the other one??

The local one is indeed an accident waiting to happen. No guard rails, no life preservers, no life lines.

We are talking here about a fairly remote region west of Mae Ai in the direction of Doi Pha Hom Pok, Thailand's second highest and perhaps least visited peak. This is not inside a national park. The local waterfalls are accessible from primitive trails. Common sense is required. There are some bungalows for rent at the Royal Project higher up Doi Pha Hom Pok, one of only two project sites in Thailand raising sturgeon, but bring your own food and water and be sure your vehicle's brakes are in good working order. That being said, the area around Doi Pha Hom Pok is fantastic!

RIP, very sad.

Yeah, not so much:

Er Chiang Mai forum should have been a clue.

About twenty minutes outside Chiang Mai, few hundred metres past Hangdong golf course and turn right, 5 minutes and you are there. 1507626.GIF

RIP, very sad.

I think there have already been 2 fatalities, a Korean tourist for one ? and probably a few near close calls.

Any Australians on this forum would be aware of the many drowning fatalities, of especially Japanese tourists, on the famed Gold Coast despite warning signs in many languages and the prescence of full time life guards. Tourists especially just don't comprehend the dangers and get caught up in the "new experience"

If the Hang Dong Canyon turns into a water park they had better get their safety issues organised.Its by no means a small area,doesn't take long to drown.