Buying a Garlic Press in Chiang Mai

westbounder

Acknowledging that I'm not answering your question I advise don't. They squeeze all the juice out if them bruising the clove. Just use any sharp knife and chop into size you want and you'll have a much better garlic flavor.

Acknowledging that I'm not answering your question I advise don't. They squeeze all the juice out if them bruising the clove. Just use any sharp knife and chop into size you want and you'll have a much better garlic flavor.

My garlic press produces a nicely shredded coarse paste, as long as you skin the cloves properly.

My garlic press produces a nicely shredded coarse paste, as long as you skin the cloves properly.

While I'm already being pedantic shredded and paste are different culinary terms, it can be only one.

With the extremely mild flavor of Thai garlic (as compared with Korean, Japanese, and European varieties,) I find that

using a garlic press AFTER chopping gives me the most flavor. If making a Cesare Salad, where all I want to do is rub a cut clove around the bowl, there is no need for a press. But when I want Garlic Bread, or Pesto, or strong garlic flavor, and too lazy to use the flat of my knife to mash it and chop, a press takes all the work out of the job.

The flavor of garlic comes from the mixing to two chemicals, resulting in a third. The 'Alliin' (a chemical) in the garlic is converted by the enzyme Alliinase into 'Allicin,' which is responsible for the flavor and aroma of fresh garlic. The more the garlic is 'worked,' the more this enzyme is able to convert the alliin and produce more garlic taste. This is why 'Roasted Garlic' has such a mild garlic taste. The enzyme has been destroyed by the heat of the oven, so very little conversion.

You don't want to sit too close to me when I've eaten my home-made pesto

I found a 'fairly good' garlic press being sold in Rimping.

The last photo of a garlic press is def. garlic chopped with a knife and places next to a press, it does not look like this after being pressed but it does look like the desired result, in other words use a knife. ( the little squares of garlic are bigger then the round holes it supposably came out of)

Secondly if it takes as long as the video all ones has to do is practice for a few times and it will take less then 30 sec. No need to play around with where to put the clove before hitting to peel.

Edited by junglechef

With the extremely mild flavor of Thai garlic (as compared with Korean, Japanese, and European varieties,) I find that

using a garlic press AFTER chopping gives me the most flavor. If making a Cesare Salad, where all I want to do is rub a cut clove around the bowl, there is no need for a press. But when I want Garlic Bread, or Pesto, or strong garlic flavor, and too lazy to use the flat of my knife to mash it and chop, a press takes all the work out of the job.

The flavor of garlic comes from the mixing to two chemicals, resulting in a third. The 'Alliin' (a chemical) in the garlic is converted by the enzyme Alliinase into 'Allicin,' which is responsible for the flavor and aroma of fresh garlic. The more the garlic is 'worked,' the more this enzyme is able to convert the alliin and produce more garlic taste. This is why 'Roasted Garlic' has such a mild garlic taste. The enzyme has been destroyed by the heat of the oven, so very little conversion.

Raw garlic less often used culinarily then some formed of cooked.

I'm not commenting on your personal usage or methods but I cook mine for both garlic bread and pesto as I find rendered correctly it is much more palatable.

Like Chilli Peppers and most aromatics they can vary in strength and adjusting the quantity to get the results one wishes is a viable solution.

Hey FolkGuitar, we set a new record by having a lover's quarrel before our first date crying.gif

^Your right, doing it with a knife takes a minute and 14 seconds, I;m sure the OP doesn't have that kind of time to wastelaugh.png

Bits of bloody skin in it, finger oil all over it.

Yew no thanks.

Not to mention that bloody awful lift music.

tongue.png

Edited by Chicog

Actually, Thai garlic is quite strong. But the cloves are very tiny. Most of what you see in Thailand now is garlic imported from China. Sometimes white, sometimes purple. The purple has a stronger flavor.

Actually, Thai garlic is quite strong. But the cloves are very tiny. Most of what you see in Thailand now is garlic imported from China. Sometimes white, sometimes purple. The purple has a stronger flavor.

You can buy Thai garlic in three different sizes; sold as a full bulb, sold as tiny cloves that aren't peeled or chopped, but used 'as is' in many soups and curries, and as rather large cloves, the size of Korean peeled cloves. I buy about 150g of this large garlic (a large handful) in the Siri Wattana fresh market every two weeks, and only use the large cloves. Here in Thailand I'll use 4-6 cloves in a dish that in the US I would usually use 2-3 cloves. MUCH more mild variety here. Similar to what is known as "Elephant Garlic" in mildness, though not in size.

In prison, dinner was always a big thing.

We had a pasta course and then we had a meat or fish. Paulie did the prep work. He was doing a year for contempt, and he had this wonderful system for doing the garlic.

He used a razor, and he used to slice it so thin that he used to liquefy in the pan with just a little oil. It was a very good system.

Save your time.

8662_garlicpress-v2_rev_600x600.jpg

I have this exact one that I use for some things, but I also use a knife and occasionally the little blender or coffee/spice mill; all depends on the final effect I want.

It's a seriously nice bit of kit though, it was bought for me a couple of years ago in England, German brand and made I think.

For those who follow the one true path of raw garlic: the important thing is the period of silent meditation that follows the chopping/crushing during which the Angel of Light, Alliicin will triumph over the Angel of Darkness, Alliin, through said Angel of Light's vahanam, "Aliinase."

~o:37;

http://teaklimey.com/

freind of mine been making them for years.. good quality and locally made. 3-400 bht i think....

Very pretty, but for 1,000 baht (the price advertised on your URL is $28.90) I'm going to give it a pass. I DO recommend this company's lime squeezer, though. Works perfectly. Mine is almost 20 years old and still going strong!