French Butter at a great price

ilostmypassword

Makro Hang Dong (and most likely the others) is offering a special on Bocage brand butter. Two 200 gram bars for 75 baht. That comes to less than $2.50 per pound. Rimping is also offering it at 48 baht per bar. 2 caveats: It only comes unsalted and it's cultured butter meaning it's made from creme fraiche, the kind of sour cream Europeans generally prefer. So it's got a bit of a tang and probably won't meet with the approval of any Thai members of your family.

Interesting I'll have to try it out.

BTW my Thai family likes a little "piow" (sour) and fermented anything and often buy things like the slightly tangy gourds (Fang) as opposed the larger flatter tasting ones (Fuk) that look the same.

They eat sour cream like I do yogurt and my GF bakes only with sweet butter (unsalted).

I guess tastes may be changing as more flavors are introduced here, esp in my home where I always am making new things and everyone is expected to try everything.

"Try it, you'll like it" :)

Thanks for sharing tip

I bought two packs,disgusting stuff..It isn't butter.very hard with a bad test.

There the reason they are selling it so cheap,its difficult to find

a real bargain here. thanks for reporting,as might have been

tempted to buy.

regards worgeordie

Maybe it is rancid.......When I had French Butter for the first time I thoight it was amazing. I had it on a first class flight on Air France....I dont see how anybody would not like it. So like I said maybe its gone off.

Initially at Rimping, a couple of months ago had a special with Bidel [the makers of Bocage] Salted Butter.

Very nice and i bought a dozen or so.

Used that up and then saw the product you talk of,and thinking that it was simply the unsalted version of the butter bought previously i bought another dozen.

Only after reading this thread and studying the pack and googling the company, i find that indeed it is called a "food preparation bar" and is not butter.

I can find no ingredient listing in English anywhere, apart from saying 80% Fat.

A blend or a margarine type product maybe

I have been using it daily and tho a bit bland initially because unsalted, i find it quite acceptable flavourwise.

It is not butter. But I have had good results making shortcrust pastry.

Also, using it to replace butter in hot water crust pastry recipes.

However, if you spread it on hot toast or crumpets you will be disappointed.

Ahh, CRUMPETS... can they be bought in Chiang Mai?

Haven't had any for YEARS and now you've got my mouth watering.