webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is he afraid of? Transparency?

And, yes, there are countless occasions where such votes have observed.

Do you think that the British government would allow Thai observers to monitor the Brexit/Bremain referendum if they requested to do so?

Yes. They would welcome open discussion of groups (more than 5 persons) to have freedom of expression. Any group of observers would be granted access to the Brexit referendum. Talking about the UK and Thailand in the same breath is the same as comparing black & white. Have a look at what's happening in the UK now regarding Brexit. Then compare this with Prayut's dictates on the Charter referendum. I recommend you visit a Top Chareon shop if you can't find the difference.

Top Chaoern shops have always puzzled me, I see them all over Thailand, well designed/decorated with ladies in smart uniforms willing and ready to sell glasses yet I rarely see a customer! Tell me how do they survive?

Money laundering

'i will no longer tolerate it'

this is getting more and more disturbing.

this ship's captain is starting to navigate without maps or stars.

His vocabulary towards westerners is seemingly growing more hostile , and the care to portray them as interfering with Thai affairs is ironic given his power is from taking over the Nation with force.

It seems the reasoning is peppered with the new perception that even our concerns contain bad wishes for Thailand not good.

The direction Thailand is taken was predicted by myself and laughed at by others.

It's one where eventually westerners will be targeted and its no longer safe.

Property and money seized and deportation and assaults common place .

Murders and intimidation rife .

Sure this can still be laughed at .

But the warning signs that aggressive kick back will be dished out to international mingling.

This comes with the likely hood that Trump will win the GOP nomination .

And has a shot at being the next US president .

This will be refreshing to see how his asian counsel will advice him on anti American sentiments .

Burning flags and protests outside of embassies .

Somehow I think an empowered Trump might send a message to China by railroading the Thai military back into its barracks and not be as passive .

A lot of speculation to digest .

But the realities are political changes are in the air and not just in Asia .

The gruff attitude of the Thai leader might be in for some adjustment by a Red neck from New York whose mandate is to kick arse.

Lets see if this time next year the Thai general is so powerful in his role of absolute leader of the nation and to "hell "" with critics.

Something tells me sanctions might be in place by then and western hatreds more entrenched .

While tolerance for Thai oppression on its citizens nearing the point where action might be considered .

There isn't much they can do if the US threatened them to stand down.

Their choices would be comply or face punishments .

I can't see that happening .

But if this course is taken and we are treated in a manner that's not even considered .

Then tougher measures to keep them in line could be required, after all they are not legally or rightfully governing by people's mandate .

But by guns

Not to worry.

The autocrats are certainly being monitored from outside their bubble. (And by others within it)

P.S. to Pluto:

Donald Trump will never become President of the United States. thumbsup.gif

Neither Donald Trump, nor any other American President will force this Junta from power.

Sanctions, if properly applied will target those who have seized power and those who back/control them. I'm sure that they are known in the appropriate circles.

This junta will be removed by the people - just as the other generals to the north were. Hopefully it will not take as long, and be as peaceful.

I don't think it will take as long, the people are more aware, and the memory of democratic government is fresh. There is also a catalyst

As to whether it will be achieved without bloodshed, I'm not so sure.

Why not ask OECD members of Mongolia, the highclass democracy in Asia (german and french Constitution, death penalty

abolished.) to have a look?

Thailand wants to stay in his homemade bs, named Thainess.

I have police friends and even they are saying the police loyalties are dividing. They are worried. They also say they their army friends are dividing in loyalries.

All because of what we are seeing more and more.

Their words to me... you are going to be safe in your housebut doubt step outside.

Their advice is to leave.

I am taking that advice as I hear it too mNy times now.

I really hate how this country is tearing apart. Sad.

Another group is rather edgy. This from an army friend. Not the police and military but the saffron. That's why DSI scared to make the arrest and the government scared to make the appoinment of the Supreme Patriach official. All things said, matters are heating up but really you don't have to leave to avoid. Thailand has been through many turbulent times and some worse than this but quick to avoid catastrophe or even severe damage to the economy. .

Thailand has been through many turbulent times for sure, but none, ever, have been faced without the guidance of the land's highest moral authority. That moral authority, with legitimacy equal to or surpassing that of any elected government, will cease to be at some point in the near future, and the ensuing fracturing of Thai society could go either way. I hope I'm being alarmist, I truly do, and I hope I'll have to swallow my words, but thankfully I have the option of being elsewhere.

Neither Donald Trump, nor any other American President will force this Junta from power.

Sanctions, if properly applied will target those who have seized power and those who back/control them. I'm sure that they are known in the appropriate circles.

This junta will be removed by the people - just as the other generals to the north were. Hopefully it will not take as long, and be as peaceful.

I don't think it will take as long, the people are more aware, and the memory of democratic government is fresh. There is also a catalyst

As to whether it will be achieved without bloodshed, I'm not so sure.

My neither, but I hope it can be.

Edit to bring my comment back on topic: Prayuth's ominous manoeuvrings, delaying tactics, fiddlings with the constitution, revocation of any pretence of free speech, and now this—holding a secret referendum, justified with outright lies and xenophobia—are, to me, signs he has no intentions of giving up power until he is either told to or forced to.

Edited by jamesbrock

How can you have a referendum without letting people see it? As soon as it is shown to the Thai people everyone will know.

So, it is a pointless thing to say "no foreigners can not look and nobody can comment". How are you supposed to vote on a referendum if you are not allowed to voice opinion?

This kind of language coming from the PM does nothing for relations with foreigners at all. It also supports the xenophobia that this country seems to have, I hope that the next Election is as promised, open, transparent and free thinking people voting.

Do you think that the British government would allow Thai observers to monitor the Brexit/Bremain referendum if they requested to do so?

Yes. They would welcome open discussion of groups (more than 5 persons) to have freedom of expression. Any group of observers would be granted access to the Brexit referendum. Talking about the UK and Thailand in the same breath is the same as comparing black & white. Have a look at what's happening in the UK now regarding Brexit. Then compare this with Prayut's dictates on the Charter referendum. I recommend you visit a Top Chareon shop if you can't find the difference.
Top Chaoern shops have always puzzled me, I see them all over Thailand, well designed/decorated with ladies in smart uniforms willing and ready to sell glasses yet I rarely see a customer! Tell me how do they survive?

I often wonder the same myself. However your post is in the wrong thread as it makes absolutely no reference to the Charter referendum.

I often wonder the same myself. However your post is in the wrong thread as it makes absolutely no reference to the Charter referendum.

I like them - where else can you go for an eye test and be tended by 4 gorgeous women?

Yes it's off topic, but rather a change from politics, and reminds me at least that there are still good reasons for living here...

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by JAG

Why should he allow international observers and ngo's?? They are all paid by Thaksin!!!

One hopes you are being ironic otherwise it's amongst the most absurd statements in memory on this forum.

Well, this is the most democratic constitution written with the full participation of the people, and Thaksin is out to kill it!! ALL international observers are paid by him and they will claim the victory was rigged!!

This is one of the stupider moves he has made. I can already tell you that even if the referendum gives the charter a Yes majority, anyone that is on the No side will absolutely believe in their hearts the election is rigged. The only possible outcome of the referendum with a Yes vote is more conflict.

So many people can't seem to let go of the past and actually move on, you know, like what the Thai people actually do, one must wonder how they cope with their ex wives and ex girlfriends who broke of their relationships!! Their beer must taste salty with all their tiny tears being cried into it!!

I love Thailand, I admire what the Pm is trying to achieve, but he is no longer running just the Army

This appears to a mere mortal like me to be adopting policies like the old Burma did, and actually moving further away from democracy, The Pm is very intelligent I am sure, is he being badly advised I wonder

In any case I fully accept it is none of my business, my observations are only meant to be honest and helpful

"very intelligent"? I can only assume you are talking about a PM from somewhere else. Certainly not this PM:

"PRAYUTH CHAN-OCHA, Thailand’s prime minister, sometimes resembles a ham actor ad-libbing his way through an audition for a role as an unhinged dictator. “You cannot oppose me. No one will let you do that!”" http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21665016-unelected-dictatorship-thailands-government-finds-china-more-amenable-america-under

In case you're unfamiliar with it, The Economist is a very intelligent and well-regarded news magazine. Unlike a certain PM.

He's paving the way for Thailand towards economic sanctions from UE (I'd say probably first) and US (later, if real elections are pushed further indefinitely).

Of course neither China nor Russia will raise an eyebrow, but such sanctions from the west are enough to seriously damage the economy.

Edited by Lannig

Now, the prevention of transparency implies that there is something to hide: And that is a daily used system in Thailand, not only in politics.But PM Prayut is the master of intransparency and easy to set up a law transparency can't happen .

This is one of the stupider moves he has made. I can already tell you that even if the referendum gives the charter a Yes majority, anyone that is on the No side will absolutely believe in their hearts the election is rigged. The only possible outcome of the referendum with a Yes vote is more conflict.

If the Constitution passes, Ok. If not they will implement one without a vote. They've unashamedly stated this. I'm out.

I think the underlying problems currently happening in this country can be summed up in this qoute from some book I read somewhere.

''Sadly, the greatest human ever to walk the face of this earth...(the only absurdly rich person who somehow got through life without being corrupt, because...well, just because...protected by laws which he didn't want, but was powerless to do anything about, because he could not interfere, unless an amplification of his all powerful humbleness was neede, but the people didn't care, because he was righteous and pure) produced an offspring, who might not be seen as great as himself and the people might realise how the laws of the pure really protected the tainted and that maybe the pure was never pure.''

He's paving the way for Thailand towards economic sanctions from UE (I'd say probably first) and US (later, if real elections are pushed further indefinitely).

Of course neither China nor Russia will raise an eyebrow, but such sanctions from the west are enough to seriously damage the economy.

The recent UN statement opens the doors for both of these. Unless the powers that be are beyond dim (and there is substantial evidence to suggest just this of course) there must be mild panic in Juntaville. Last night's abductions seem to indicate either panic or a disconnect with the real world.

Edited by Snig27

Britain's a democracy whereas Thailand.......

Yes.

........and the Togan, Nepalese, Mali, North Korean, Russian, Chinese observers?

you are clueless if you think the EU referendum is 'un-observable' the British government is transparent and your point is JUVENILE

Probably, but this not about the UK government is it, it's about internationally respected bodies asking for access.

No. It's about not being invited to monitor the referendum. If they have to ask to monitor the process, the process is already dead.

Edited by NanLaew

I love Thailand, I admire what the Pm is trying to achieve, but he is no longer running just the Army

This appears to a mere mortal like me to be adopting policies like the old Burma did, and actually moving further away from democracy, The Pm is very intelligent I am sure, is he being badly advised I wonder

In any case I fully accept it is none of my business, my observations are only meant to be honest and helpful

"very intelligent"? I can only assume you are talking about a PM from somewhere else. Certainly not this PM:

"PRAYUTH CHAN-OCHA, Thailand’s prime minister, sometimes resembles a ham actor ad-libbing his way through an audition for a role as an unhinged dictator. “You cannot oppose me. No one will let you do that!”" http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21665016-unelected-dictatorship-thailands-government-finds-china-more-amenable-america-under

In case you're unfamiliar with it, The Economist is a very intelligent and well-regarded news magazine. Unlike a certain PM.

And the print version of that particular issue of the Economist was curiously missing from Thailand's newsstands.