OA retirement questions

Sorry, I cannot find a link to what I am looking for.

I want to transition my METV to the Retirement Visa.

My METV expires in June. Today, I went to the US Embassy and got my income verification certificate.

Can someone please give me updated info. on the additional paperwork I need to submit to Immiigration for my OA Visa.

I tried to find an Immigration site with Info, with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like extension based on retirement (you are over 50y old? income over 65000 Baht/month verified?).

Where do you live? In Bangkok, go to Chaeng Wattana?

There are subtle differences for certain offices.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You will be applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa,

In order to apply for the extension you must first obtain a non immigrant visa entry. You can do it by doing a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration and a few other nearby offices at any time during the 60 day entry from your visa up to the last 15 days. It requires 2 trips to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps about 15 days apart.

If not living in or near Bangkok your best option might be to get a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Penang.

Where are you living now?

A "retirement visa" does not exist the nearest to such a visa would be an O/A visa obtained from the Thai Embassy in your own country

You cannot move directly from an METV to an extension of stay based on retirement.

You will need an "O" visa entry, This can be obtained by means of "conversion" in Bangokok or by applying for an "O" visa in a nearby country.

You will need to meet the financial requirements for an extension prior to applying for the "O" visa

You will be applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa,

In order to apply for the extension you must first obtain a non immigrant visa entry. You can do it by doing a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration and a few other nearby offices at any time during the 60 day entry from your visa up to the last 15 days. It requires 2 trips to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps about 15 days apart.

If not living in or near Bangkok your best option might be to get a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Penang.

I am living in Bkk now. I cannot transition with the METV? A Visa office in Pattaya told me it was no problem but I believe what you guys say about this.

I am living in Bkk now. I cannot transition with the METV? A Visa office in Pattaya told me it was no problem but I believe what you guys say about this.

It's not a problem...you just have to go through the proper steps as posters before me outlined: 1st, Change in Visa status, they will give you a return date at which time you get the O/A visa then do the Retirement Extension.

All the forms are available at the front Information desk at Chang Wattana. They will also tell you which copies you need. Fill them out and go downstairs to the copy shop. They are very efficient and will know what you need...very cheap.

Then go back upstairs to the 2nd Information desk inside the offices and they will review your paperwork, give you a queue number and direct you to the appropriate section. Bring several visa size pictures, always good to have a spare.

You may need a second income statement, one for the change in visa status and one for the extension....at least I did 6 years ago when I did mine, they would not accept a copy. When a friend did his a few years ago, they accepted a color copy. Maybe somebody else knows what they are asking for now. Other documents are a health certificate and a proof of residence. I don't know if they still ask for a criminal background check...anybody?

Edited by dddave

It's not a problem...you just have to go through the proper steps as posters before me outlined: 1st, Change in Visa status, they will give you a return date at which time you get the O/A visa then do the Retirement Extension.

All the forms are available at the front Information desk at Chang Wattana. They will also tell you which copies you need. Fill them out and go downstairs to the copy shop. They are very efficient and will know what you need...very cheap.

Then go back upstairs to the 2nd Information desk inside the offices and they will review your paperwork, give you a queue number and direct you to the appropriate section. Bring several visa size pictures, always good to have a spare.

Why continue causing confusion with inaccurate information ?

There is NO O/A visa available from within Thailand !

• Like 2

The steps I gave you are a transition form an entry from the NETV to an extension of stay. You would be doing the same thing that an agent would do for your.

You could go to immigration at Chaeng Wattans and do a change of visa status application at anytime now, Then apply for the extension 45 days later.

There is no need (and very damaging to the wallet) to use an agent !

The process outlined here is simple.

Why continue causing confusion with inaccurate information ?

There is NO O/A visa available from within Thailand !

Whoops...My bad, wrong term.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I am an idiot, but a fairly happy one at this moment.

I did go to an agency as I wanted to get the Visa application because I could not download it.

The guy I spoke to was very convincing and gave me a reasonable price I thought compared to what I have read. He said, since you have your income verification we can take you now and get it all done in less than 90 minutes.

So I bit. After some photos, one of his assistants drove me to Immigration. 100's of people waiting there. The assistant walked me through the process VIP style.

I got the 90 day, 12 month, and multiple entry stamps. It took a little over an hour.

I am happy. No worries for me now that this is over and I won't be forced to leave here for a long time.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Maybe I am an idiot, but a fairly happy one at this moment.

I did go to an agency as I wanted to get the Visa application because I could not download it.

The guy I spoke to was very convincing and gave me a reasonable price I thought compared to what I have read. He said, since you have your income verification we can take you now and get it all done in less than 90 minutes.

So I bit. After some photos, one of his assistants drove me to Immigration. 100's of people waiting there. The assistant walked me through the process VIP style.

I got the 90 day, 12 month, and multiple entry stamps. It took a little over an hour.

I am happy. No worries for me now that this is over and I won't be forced to leave here for a long time.

I have to ask...What was their service fee on top of the immigration fees?

You would need to convert to a non-imm O entry in Bangkok or get a non-imm O visa in a neighboring country first.

Then as stated above you would be eligible to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement if you meet the age and financial requirements.

None of the above has anything to do with a non-imm O-A visa.

As said above, the conversion to a non-imm O entry in Bangkok would require two visits to immigrations. The application for an extension of stay based on retirement would need to be done at the immigration office that serves your residential area.

It's all doable (without a commerical visa service), but it does involve several steps and completing the steps needs to be done during the appropriate time frames based on your permission to stay (not the expiration date of your METV, but the permission your received when you last entered) and then the permission you get when converting to a non-imm O entry).

You would need to convert to a non-imm O entry in Bangkok or get a non-imm O visa in a neighboring country first.

Then as stated above you would be eligible to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement if you meet the age and financial requirements.

None of the above has anything to do with a non-imm O-A visa.

As said above, the conversion to a non-imm O entry in Bangkok would require two visits to immigrations. The application for an extension of stay based on retirement would need to be done at the immigration office that serves your residential area.

It's all doable (without a commerical visa service), but it does involve several steps and completing the steps needs to be done during the appropriate time frames based on your permission to stay (not the expiration date of your METV, but the permission your received when you last entered) and then the permission you get when converting to a non-imm O entry).

Thanks but as I posted I got everything today thru an agency in about an hour. 15 months with multiple entries no BS, except money. :)

I am celebrating now at Levels!

Ah, nice to see that a one-day conversion and extension are still alive. Used to see quite a bit of this at the seaside Immigration offices. Makes sense, if the applicant's financials at conversion to a Non Imm O also qualify for the one-year retirement extension, i.e., it's an income statement or a bank account aged over 2 months. Why force the guy to come back in two months if all is in order for a retirement extension on conversion day? Immigration's efficiency would certainly be improved if they eliminated more unnecessary visits.

I wonder if this good fortune only occurs with an agent...?

Ah, nice to see that a one-day conversion and extension are still alive. Used to see quite a bit of this at the seaside Immigration offices. Makes sense, if the applicant's financials at conversion to a Non Imm O also qualify for the one-year retirement extension, i.e., it's an income statement or a bank account aged over 2 months. Why force the guy to come back in two months if all is in order for a retirement extension on conversion day? Immigration's efficiency would certainly be improved if they eliminated more unnecessary visits.

My observation was Yes reference the agent.

I was finished with everything and there were still many people sitting in the same seats when I arrived, waiting to start the process.

My observation was Yes reference the agent.

I was finished with everything and there were still many people sitting in the same seats when I arrived, waiting to start the process.

The question that you have failed to answer despite several requests is how much did the

agent charge you for his/her services??? Your reluctance to divulge the fee implies that it

may have been quite hefty??

What is the date of your stamp? Sounds like you spent about 20,000 thb more than if you had got an O-A from your home country, and just showed them the 800K equivalent in a bank there.

Stamp for what? I got 3.

But don't worry, I can count 15 months forward. :)

Also, why would I go back to the USA for that? Pay airfare, etc. It would cost much more and be an unknown delay with a medical exam and questionare, and a criminal background that they want done thru Livescan. The FBI portion for Livescan can take up to 3 months? So I make 2 trips to the USA to get what I got here in one hour. HAHAHA. How much is that worth???

So I got it, I can stay here, and am loving it!!

PS: I paid a reasonable price compared to what I have read. But I would have paid more for the expediency and peace of mind.

Edited by bkk6060

55 for physical...10 minutes for free local police check...200 usd for visa at DC. So if you had simply started with that, and decided not to stay; you still would have been better off. Who is requiring FBI check?

He stated that he is in Thailand, not the US.

If one is in his/her home country a non imm o-a multi entry visa could be a great choice. However, if he/she in already in Thailand, not so much.

• Like 1

What is the date of your stamp? Sounds like you spent about 20,000 thb more than if you had got an O-A from your home country, and just showed them the 800K equivalent in a bank there.

Stamp for what? I got 3.

But don't worry, I can count 15 months forward. smile.png

Also, why would I go back to the USA for that? Pay airfare, etc. It would cost much more and be an unknown delay with a medical exam and questionare, and a criminal background that they want done thru Livescan. The FBI portion for Livescan can take up to 3 months? So I make 2 trips to the USA to get what I got here in one hour. HAHAHA. How much is that worth???

PS: I paid a reasonable price compared to what I have read. But I would have paid more for the expediency and peace of mind.

I am happy that you are so happy and that you feel you paid a reasonable price, so why the reluctance to tell

us how much you actually paid???

Stamp for what? I got 3.

I am happy that you are so happy and that you feel you paid a reasonable price, so why the reluctance to tell

Why does the OP owe it to anyone to provide the exact price paid for a service?

While the culture in Thailand is to immediately ask the price paid for a good or service, in the west that would be considered bad manners. I prefer the western perspective, myself. What I pay is of no one's business but my own.

Stamp for what? I got 3.

Why does the OP owe it to anyone to provide the exact price paid for a service?

While the culture in Thailand is to immediately ask the price paid for a good or service, in the west that would be considered bad manners. I prefer the western perspective, myself. What I pay is of no one's business but my own.

Because this is a forum where we share information and try to help each other.

How can we judge if he is giving helpful information or not without knowing the fee for this great service.

• Like 2

Question: To extend a visa based on retirement, you have to have a confirmation of income, or you have to transfer money from overseas every year to have the THB 800,000 in the account in time for seasoning. Since this means you have income (and also transfer moneys to Thailand that are less than one year old), does that mean you have to pay income taxes?

I know that nobody would pay income tax on this, and I believe it is perfectly legal not to. However, a friend of mine is currently in panic as he wants to do everything by the law and asks me. Over to the experts over here, thanks for your kind advice.

Question: To extend a visa based on retirement, you have to have a confirmation of income, or you have to transfer money from overseas every year to have the THB 800,000 in the account in time for seasoning. Since this means you have income (and also transfer moneys to Thailand that are less than one year old), does that mean you have to pay income taxes?

I know that nobody would pay income tax on this, and I believe it is perfectly legal not to. However, a friend of mine is currently in panic as he wants to do everything by the law and asks me. Over to the experts over here, thanks for your kind advice.

You don't have to transfer the 800k baht every year. You can leave it sitting the bank if you want to.

You only have to pay taxes on income earned during the tax year that is transferred into the country. If you read the tax code pensions are not earned income so no tax is due.

You don't have to transfer the 800k baht every year. You can leave it sitting the bank if you want to.

You only have to pay taxes on income earned during the tax year that is transferred into the country. If you read the tax code pensions are not earned income so no tax is due.

Well, my friend fills up his account to THB 800,000 every year and then uses the money during the year. So, each year he has to transfer money again.

Where in the tax code does it say that pensions are not earned money? He has certainly earned his pension, but it would be great to see that the code states that it is not subject to income tax.