visa run Burma - Kan, ban phu nam ron - OK today

Sorry, please allow me ask a question for clarification purposes:

Did you mean having a 'visa exempt entry stamp' in the passport is sufficient to leave Thailand?

When coming back in, was it a 30-day visa exempt?

Thank you.

Sorry, please allow me ask a question for clarification purposes:

Did you mean having a 'visa exempt entry stamp' in the passport is sufficient to leave Thailand?

When coming back in, was it a 30-day visa exempt?

Thank you.

The OP apparently had a valid visa of some type to use for re-entry.

This part of his post makes it clear a visa is needed. "Must have a valid visa or they will not let you leave Thailand (Non Imm O, METV etc, no visa exempt entry"

The only way to do the crossing if you don't have a valid visa for re-entry to Thailand is if you have visa to enter Myanmar for a longer stay than a border pass allows.

• 2 months later...

Good Evening.

I just received word from an agent that Ban Phu Nam Ron is closed. She states that someone in the Immigration Department had informed her only moments ago. I am (was) due to go there this coming Tuesday.

Is anyone else able to verify this closure - or otherwise please?

Many thanks in anticipation of any assistance.

Thank you very much for your reply Ubonjoe.

I am coming off a Retirement Visa and wish to obtain a Non-Imm B Visa to return to work here. Apparently, to do that, I must first 'revoke' my Retirement Visa by exiting the country without a Re-Entry Stamp thereby being issued a Tourist Visa which I can then apply for the Non-Imm B visa. It sounds long-winded however, Immigration Department have confirmed (2 separate sources) that the procedure described is indeed the best way to accomplish securing the Non-Imm B. All relevant documentation required for Non-Imm B has been perused and confirmed as satisfactory and that upon my return with a Tourist Visa, I should be have my Non=Imm B in a matter of a couple of days.

So, in answer to your question; yes I do have a visa for re-entry however, the re-entry stamp will purposefully not be stamped in the passport.

Is there any way that I can check myself as to the current status of that border post? Thank you ever so much for your consideration.

Scout

Thank you very much for your reply Ubonjoe.

I am coming off a Retirement Visa and wish to obtain a Non-Imm B Visa to return to work here. Apparently, to do that, I must first 'revoke' my Retirement Visa by exiting the country without a Re-Entry Stamp thereby being issued a Tourist Visa which I can then apply for the Non-Imm B visa. It sounds long-winded however, Immigration Department have confirmed (2 separate sources) that the procedure described is indeed the best way to accomplish securing the Non-Imm B. All relevant documentation required for Non-Imm B has been perused and confirmed as satisfactory and that upon my return with a Tourist Visa, I should be have my Non=Imm B in a matter of a couple of days.

So, in answer to your question; yes I do have a visa for re-entry however, the re-entry stamp will purposefully not be stamped in the passport.

Is there any way that I can check myself as to the current status of that border post? Thank you ever so much for your consideration.

Scout

They would likely let you do the crossing if you have a valid re-entry permit but they probably will insist on using it when you return instead of stamping a visa exempt entry.

Your best option may be to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a tourist visa. Immigration might be more willing to use it instead of the re-entry permit

You could try calling 1178 or 1111 to get info about the crossing or their phone number.

Oh dear. Your reply appears to be 'not-in-line' with the information that I have been given. I have to admit that being advised to purposefully omit a re-entry stamp upon leaving so as to be forced into receiving a tourist visa for 30-days upon returning, seemed overly simplistic (if not foolhardy) however, I have been told by 2 separate sources that this procedure was the simplest and most economic way in which to achieve my goal - namely a Non-Imm B.

I agree with you that a visit to an embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country to secure a tourist visa might prove to be more thorough (and enthuse credibility with Immigration) however, personal finances (budgeting required) is a major contributing factor also. Quite frankly, I am now at a total loss as to what to do for the best. Having lived and worked here for 18-years, this is the first time that I shall be faced with having to do a 'border run' and the very thought of doing so makes me nervous beyond belief.

Regardless, your interest and consideration in taking the time to reply is of comfort to me and I thank you sincerely for that.

Scout.

Oh dear. Your reply appears to be 'not-in-line' with the information that I have been given. I have to admit that being advised to purposefully omit a re-entry stamp upon leaving so as to be forced into receiving a tourist visa for 30-days upon returning, seemed overly simplistic (if not foolhardy) however, I have been told by 2 separate sources that this procedure was the simplest and most economic way in which to achieve my goal - namely a Non-Imm B.

I agree with you that a visit to an embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country to secure a tourist visa might prove to be more thorough (and enthuse credibility with Immigration) however, personal finances (budgeting required) is a major contributing factor also. Quite frankly, I am now at a total loss as to what to do for the best. Having lived and worked here for 18-years, this is the first time that I shall be faced with having to do a 'border run' and the very thought of doing so makes me nervous beyond belief.

Regardless, your interest and consideration in taking the time to reply is of comfort to me and I thank you sincerely for that.

Scout.

If you did not have a re-entry permit it would not be a problem at most crossings to leave and re-enter the country to get a visa exempt entry. Already having one is what creates the problem since it is at the discretion of the officer on entry as to whether to use the re-entry permit or do a visa exempt entry.

You might have better luck at another border crossing than Ban Phu Nam Ron to get a visa exempt entry. Where are you at now?

Once again; thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I am not using the correct terminology when I write "re-entry stamp" and in fact, I should use the words "re-entry permit" as you have done. If, those two terms mean the same thing i.e. if one wants to exit Thailand with the clear intention of returning using the same visa they exited with, then one ensures that they have a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp" before exiting then I would explain that I have been advised to NOT exit Thailand with a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp" so that Thai immigration are compelled to issue a tourist visa upon my return due to me having made my retirement visa null and void because of the lack of a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp".

I am currently in Hua Hin and I have phoned the "1111" number that you provided me with and the lady who answered could not verify that Ban Phu Nam Ron was open or closed however, she asked me why I was asking. I was seriously impressed with that and explained my situation, to which she replied that I should go to Hua Hin Immigration office on Monday morning where, she assured me, that I did not need to go through all this exiting-malarkey because Hua Hin Immigration could convert a Retirement Visa to a Non-Imm B. Previously, (2-weeks ago) the same immigration office had said that I could NOT do. Same office - same desk - different officer. ;-)

The agent is now advising me to go to Cambodia where I am 'guaranteed' success without having to spend a night in Cambodia. That's a dickens of a way to travel though - time wise especially. Alternatively, she suggests, as you have done, that I visit KL where everything can be handled without leaving the airport building. Sooooo many ups and downs; it is like living on a roller coaster and just as sickening. Ha Ha Ha.

Many thanks Ubonjoe for your patience.

Scout.

Edited to reintroduce paragraphing.

Edited by Scout666

A re-entry permit is put in your passport by doing a stamp for it so in a way it is a re-entry stamp.

I you don't have a re-entry permit now you certainly don't want to get one.

Flying out and back via KL would get you a 30 day visa exempt entry. It would be a quicker and easier trip than going to the Cambodia border. At a border crossing you will only get a 15 day entry unless you are from a G7 country. You could also do a crossing for a visa exempt entry at Ranong.

The problem you have with doing anything at immigration is the lack of a work permit permit application approval letter or at least a receipt for one. Immigration might allow you to change the reason for your extension based upon retirement to working if you had it. The problem is that most work permit offices will not accept a application for one if you are on an extension based upon retirement.

Not to be picky, but you did NOT have a "retirement visa".

What you almost certainly had is an extension to your visa by reason of retirement in Thailand.

This is not just word play....If you had a VISA obtained outside of Thailand, it would have an expiration date and remain valid until that expiration date.

Visas are issued outside of Thailand in a Thai consulate or embassy, extensions are issued at immigration in Thailand, often a one year extension (as in a one year retirement extension).

Visas remain valid even when you exit Thailand and return as long as they have not reached the expiration date.

Extensions are canceled when you exit Thailand without a exit re-entry permit.

That is the purpose of the exit re-entry permit....to keep your extension alive when you return to Thailand from a short trip outside of Thailand and return.

But you are right about the fact that without an exit re-entry permit your retirement extension would be automatically cancelled when you left Thailand.

That would leave you free to get a new visa or visa exempt entry for your return to Thailand as your previous retirement extension was automatically canceled when you exited Thailand

That extension would be automatically canceled when you departed Thailand without an exit reentry permit to keep it alive.

This sounds complicated, but if you think about the situation you first have to get rid of the old extension, before you can get a new visa. for your re-entry.

Rather like getting remarried....the old wife has to go first before the new one is allowed in.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

A re-entry permit is put in your passport by doing a stamp for it so in a way it is a re-entry stamp.

I you don't have a re-entry permit now you certainly don't want to get one.

Flying out and back via KL would get you a 30 day visa exempt entry. It would be a quicker and easier trip than going to the Cambodia border. At a border crossing you will only get a 15 day entry unless you are from a G7 country. You could also do a crossing for a visa exempt entry at Ranong.

The problem you have with doing anything at immigration is the lack of a work permit permit application approval letter or at least a receipt for one. Immigration might allow you to change the reason for your extension based upon retirement to working if you had it. The problem is that most work permit offices will not accept a application for one if you are on an extension based upon retirement.

All agreed with and I shall not be asking for a re-entry permit, I can assure you. I am more or less of a mind at the moment to do the KL route given that, allegedly, when I arrive at KUL, I can can do a virtual turn-around and be ready for the next flight out. Leave BKK at 06.00 and arrive back at 13.25. (I am the eternal optimist - at times.)

I concur also with your work permit application approval letter issue as, despite already having ALL documentation, both mine and the company that I shall work for pre-approved by Immigration, the Labour Department is not in the least bit interested until such time as I am in possession of a Non-Imm B.

Now it's time to approach the owner of the Company and ask her to cough up the expenses thus enabling me to do it the 'KL' way.

Thanks Ubonjoe; thank you very much.

Scout.

Not to be picky, but you did NOT have a "retirement visa".

What you almost certainly had is an extension to your visa by reason of retirement in Thailand.

This is not just word play....If you had a VISA obtained outside of Thailand, it would have an expiration date and remain valid until that expiration date.

Visas are issued outside of Thailand in a Thai consulate or embassy, extensions are issued at immigration in Thailand, often a one year extension (as in a one year retirement extension).

Visas remain valid even when you exit Thailand and return as long as they have not reached the expiration date.

Extensions are canceled when you exit Thailand without a exit re-entry permit.

That is the purpose of the exit re-entry permit....to keep your extension alive when you return to Thailand from a short trip outside of Thailand and return.

But you are right about the fact that without an exit re-entry permit your retirement extension would be automatically cancelled when you left Thailand.

That would leave you free to get a new visa or visa exempt entry for your return to Thailand as your previous retirement extension was automatically canceled when you exited Thailand

That extension would be automatically canceled when you departed Thailand without an exit reentry permit to keep it alive.

This sounds complicated, but if you think about the situation you first have to get rid of the old extension, before you can get a new visa. for your re-entry.

Rather like getting remarried....the old wife has to go first before the new one is allowed in.

Yes you were! Being "picky". ;-)

You are absolutely correct; indeed I do have an "extension" - to my retirement visa - that is.Once again, I was using the incorrect terminology and yes, I fully understand and agree with your comprehensive explanation which I, and doubtless many others, who look at your reply, will greatly appreciate also.

Loved your analogy; you are assuming that I am not a polygamist then? Tut Tut. ;-)

Thank you very much for your time and effort for replying and clarifying the issue.

Scout.

" I would explain that I have been advised to NOT exit Thailand with a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp" so that Thai immigration are compelled to issue a tourist visa upon my return due to me having made my retirement visa null and void because of the lack of a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp"."

Bad advice. Thai Immigration do not issue tourist visas.

They would give you a visa exempt entry, which was mentioned several times above.

Another example of incorrect terminology.

" I would explain that I have been advised to NOT exit Thailand with a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp" so that Thai immigration are compelled to issue a tourist visa upon my return due to me having made my retirement visa null and void because of the lack of a "re-entry permit" or "re-entry stamp"."

Bad advice. Thai Immigration do not issue tourist visas.

They would give you a visa exempt entry, which was mentioned several times above.

Another example of incorrect terminology.

OK. Thai immigration at the Border Crossing. All concerned realised the point I was making and took in it their stride. You however, .........