The Thai Way: Govt campaigns for Thais to change their values, respect intellectual property

webfact

The Thai Way: Govt campaigns for Thais to change their values, respect intellectual property (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

thai_6.jpg

BANGKOK: -- While Thai people are known for their friendliness and easy-going attitude, their way of life may be a little too simple for some.

A video released by the Department of Intellectual Property Tuesday has urged Thais to improve their standards and respect intellectual property rights.

The video titled “Are we really going to live like this?” shows the behavior of Thai people that hurts thinkers and creators such as buying fake designer purses because they’re cheaper, grabbing a new DVD for THB50 from street vendors and copying texts straight from Wikipedia and calling it a report.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/28/thai-way-govt-campaigns-thais-change-their-values-respect-intellectual-property-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-04-28

Even theThai government use actively in their regal nightly presentation the Scottish New Year's Eve tune .

Many westerners recognise this.

But it doesn't stop there.

Many tunes and dress are borrowed by Thais without the slightest credit given.

Thai nationals refuse to believe many other Thai creative innovations are not theirs.

Cloud seeding just one of the many.

They also are surprised many brands are not theirs also .

Thai creativity is not easy under a military rule.

Certainly free thought exclusions are the norm.

But such advertisements hint more at westerners bad mouthing their obsession of copying .

Music riffs are another example.

Many Thai songs content stolen intellectual property.

By nature Thais tend to copy rather than invent

Edited by Plutojames88

Unfortunately in this consumer driven society a large majority of Thais simply can't afford those 'must have' items.
Hence it is ingrained into the psyche of of your average Thai to buy fake goods and has been for a decade.
On top that you have the vast wealth that is accumulated from the sale if such goods and we all know that 'those at the top' are not going to miss out as well.

And I remember the uproar when the Gaga quote went public..........the backlash was hilarious and how could she say such a thing!

The value and respect isn't only confined to intellectual property , that just about sums up the value of life, and unless the leaders of Thailand set an example so the rest shall follow there is no point in discussion, in essence value and respect starts at the top.............................................coffee1.gif

Anybody who thinks they are getting a genuine Rolex or Gucci handbag for a tenth of the real price is obviously unfit to plead and shouldn't be prosecuted.

Frankly, I'm blowed if I can see the harm in enterprising individuals folk churning out cheap. obvious copies of so-called designer goods to help the peasants keep up with the Somchais.

A lot of the high-end stuff makes obscene profits for big Western companies by exploiting virtual slave labour in Africa and South-east Asia, so don't get too conscience-stricken about the hit they're supposed to be taking.

Instead of worrying about foreign multi-nationals, I wish the Thai government would launch one of their crackdowns on crappy Thai manufacturers who produce household items which seldom outlast their ludicrously short guarantee period. I can't count the home-produced toasters and water boilers I've got through in the last 15 years!

Anybody who thinks they are getting a genuine Rolex or Gucci handbag for a tenth of the real price is obviously unfit to plead and shouldn't be prosecuted.

Frankly, I'm blowed if I can see the harm in enterprising individuals folk churning out cheap. obvious copies of so-called designer goods to help the peasants keep up with the Somchais.

A lot of the high-end stuff makes obscene profits for big Western companies by exploiting virtual slave labour in Africa and South-east Asia, so don't get too conscience-stricken about the hit they're supposed to be taking.

Instead of worrying about foreign multi-nationals, I wish the Thai government would launch one of their crackdowns on crappy Thai manufacturers who produce household items which seldom outlast their ludicrously short guarantee period. I can't count the home-produced toasters and water boilers I've got through in the last 15 years!

Yet you continue to buy them ??????

Thais show respect,your having a laugh.money is absolute and nothing else matters.

Charity begins at home.

They could start respecting the foreigners living and visiting here first as an example. That I fear is asking too much given that we're relieved on a constant basis of our worldly goods albeit by trickery, thievery or just downright bludgeoned pillaged or raped for whatever takes their fancy.

So copyright theft is a mere bagatelle in this somewhat crusade to prosper from us endless Ferang source of income.

We love being abused it's our culture and should say thanks according to the heavily inflicted Thainess tv section for the mentally deranged.

The blame lays at our feet and we truly deserve our comeuppance since our money, intellectual property or belongings becomes theirs the moment it sets foot in this country.

Thailand Land of Swindlers

Yet you continue to buy them ??????

Nah, finally learned my lesson and buying Chinese!.

They might start by telling their useless drunk men to stop kicking in the heads of elderly tourists! The damage that single video did to Thailand's reputation in the West will take years to undo.

The Hermes shopping spree by a famous Thai soap star causes my wife to want similar material goods. I can't afford a Hermes handbag so we both decide on the next best thing a copy at the market. A haggle here and there and 1500 baht later she gets her dreams come true. Shes happy, I'm happy, jobs a good un.

Hang on Mr Happy is not happy. Pm who lives in the elite world of fast cars and designer goods says you can't copy stuff and sell it at the market. To be fair so do other world leaders and governments but the poor can't afford to pay top dollar for stuff.

Obviously the Pm has a point, if a pop band don't sell their songs they don't record new ones, no motivation.

But if the price of dvd's, online music, was reduced alot of songs they would sell.

Example a lot of my friends used to download movies using piratebay or similar sites. This took time and wasted the battery life of their laptops, etc, etc. Now that netflix is available in Thailand they have subscribed to that. It's very cheap and you can stream all the latest movies, tv shows, etc without waiting for them to download and risk infecting your laptop with a virus.