Something Going on at US Consulate

Konini

All clear All clear All clear not long after I wrote the above. Maybe just a drill, or someone leaving an unattended bag - I once was at the point of evacuating a building, everyone had coats on because a visitor to the office had left his briefcase near the door and gone off to the toilet. Let's just say it was an interesting meeting.

Probably just a drill.

Or maybe the PM2.5 Air Quality Index rose over 200 into the very dangerous "purple" zone. They monitor and report it every day on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.usconsulate

Those are the particles 2.5 millimeters and less and diameter -- ones that your lungs can't filter out and thus get into your bloodstream and intro your body organs. The Thai gov't commonly reports just the PM10 AQI which makes the situation look less dire than it really is.

Seriously, though, it's probably just a drill. They don't have regular hours for U.S. Citizen Services or see Thai Nationals for visa interviews on Fridays. It's a day to get caught up on other business.

Probably just a drill.

Or maybe the PM2.5 Air Quality Index rose over 200 into the very dangerous "purple" zone. They monitor and report it every day on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai.usconsulate

Those are the particles 2.5 millimeters and less and diameter -- ones that your lungs can't filter out and thus get into your bloodstream and intro your body organs. The Thai gov't commonly reports just the PM10 AQI which makes the situation look less dire than it really is.

Seriously, though, it's probably just a drill. They don't have regular hours for U.S. Citizen Services or see Thai Nationals for visa interviews on Fridays. It's a day to get caught up on other business.

I wasn't aware they did this. The last time air quality was 'unhealthy for sensitive groups' was March 8, it's been 'unhealthy' ever since.

I wonder what the readings were like during bad years.

Probably just a drill.

It's microns; not millimeters. Just divide by 1000 or shift your decimal point three places to the left. Better stick to age differences in farang and GF, not quite so challenging.

Watch yo mouff new kid on the block. Better watch yo manners wif Nancy or u may get yo mouff washed out wit a bar o soap.

Seriously , no need to be rude. People may think you are a Born Again and not a newbie

Nobody's being rude.

It was a valid correction followed by a facetious little pin prick.

Only an overinflated ego would pop.

Certainly not NancyL.

"Better stick to age differences in farang and GF, not quite so challenging." Hmm............. I've never commented on the age differences between guava and grapefruit on this forum.

Thank you for coming to my defense, Gonzo, although it was a silly mistake. I should have known better. I think the pollution is getting to me.

All clear All clear All clear not long after I wrote the above. Maybe just a drill, or someone leaving an unattended bag - I once was at the point of evacuating a building, everyone had coats on because a visitor to the office had left his briefcase near the door and gone off to the toilet. Let's just say it was an interesting meeting.

If there was no emergency vehicle response, it was probably a drill. Presumably emergency response people were notified there would be a drill.

The Foreign Affairs Handbook (FAH)1 requires U.S. embassies throughout the world to maintain an emergency action plan (EAP) that provides procedures to respond to emergency situations such as bombs, fires, civil disorders, and evacuations.

The Emergency Action Committee’s specific responsibilities include the following:

 Conducting vulnerability assessments to identify the post’s critical infrastructure assets to be protected.

Assessing the post’s and host government’s capabilities and limitations for emergency response.

 Using the results of the capabilities and limitation assessments to draft the EAP.

I believe that PM-10 is around 80% of the PM-2.5

Also note the US Consulate figure is the 24 hr average not for a specific time of day as many of the sites are for a particular time of day (this is a good indication).

The Air4Thai phone app gives an hourly reading which is useful not only as it's phone handy but that it's good to see if what the reading is at any particular time, which for me is good to determine if I should go out cycling

Another site commonly used is http://aqmthai.com/index.php

Please note that the interpretation of the numbers, such as what reading corresponds with which level of danger, and perhaps the accuracy must be considered.

Watch yo mouff new kid on the block. Better watch yo manners wif Nancy or u may get yo mouff washed out wit a bar o soap.

Seriously , no need to be rude. People may think you are a Born Again and not a newbie

Nobody's being rude.

It was a valid correction followed by a facetious little pin prick.

Only an overinflated ego would pop.

Certainly not NancyL.

...we knew what she meant...just saying hello in our funny way!