Thai gang attack on Laotian 'gik' - graphic violence caught on tape

webfact

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what did the good man say, " a thai would never do something like this" time to read the newspapers my old mate or better still get someone to read it to you, violence for the sake of it, twice in a few days now.

I was recently attacked by a Thai man. The police prosecuted me because when the man tried to hit me, he hurt his little finger when I put my arm up to protect my face.

I won as self defense in court. But then I was not allowed to prosecute him as the time frame had run out.

This is in the same area. The girl that ordered the attack not being arrested, does not surprise me. And this poor girl trying to go through the courts, where nobody speaks English is going to suffer greatly. She would have to spend thousands on lawyers to follow the case.

Would not surprise me if they all walk free.

What has speaking English got to do with it?

I thought a "Gik" was a kept male whereas a Mia Noi was a mistress, so is the headline wrong or does "Gik" apply to a female?

On a different subject, what is it that makes Thai males so full of anger and malevolence? It seems to be there just under the surface.

they have a general feeling of inferiority because as individuals or as a country they have never achieved anything and still cannot do anything for themselves, they talk themselves up using buzz words like Hub and Leaders in but in reality they totally rely on other countries for technology - infrastructure- industry, the only thing they can do for themselves in grow stuff, oh and maybe make energy drinks, even the company that bought a certain EPL football team has a rather interesting past

They have stagnated for years because past governments want it that way so that individuals can make huge money from the uneducated who can be bought for 500baht

They have seen foreigners coming here for years spending lots of money but rather than being greatful they have developed a rather childish dangerous dislike which is comming more and more to the fore helped along by social media.

Thailand as a country has stagnated and not developed as it should, why does Thailand not have a Samsung or a Toyota, because corruption has stumpped proper growth and developement, money that should have been going into things like education went to corrupt peoples pockets instead

Without tens of years of outside investment and tourism Thailand would be in a pretty poor state, they play above their stature and they know it but they can't take it

Only they can change it

'They have seen foreigners coming here for years spending lots of money but rather than being greatful they have developed a rather childish dangerous dislike which is comming more and more to the fore helped along by social media.'

this is correct, they are bitter, jealous and resentful of foreigners with money coming here. I can understand that, the average thai cant and wont ever be able to afford an overseas holiday as the average westerner can, but the thais lack the critical thinking skills to realize it is not the foreigner keeping them down but the powerful within thailand. I dont see this misplaced anger going away anytime soon

There is no connection to this case and the case in Hua Hin. The hiring of thugs to avenge slights or settle business issues has been going on for centuries. The reason people do this is that the police cannot be trusted to do their job and the only 'justice' is street justice. The public has become immune to it. It only seems to happen more often due to social media , the internet and cameras everywhere. Foreigners are usually not targets for this but due to the fact of mass tourism and the influx of foreign criminals- it does occur and none if it surprises me. Thais will eventually have enough of this nonsense and they will do something about it. One can only survive in Thailand by understanding the culture and the way Thais react in certain situations. While I do not approve of any violence such as this- I can condemn it but cannot stop it.

Typical behavior of gangs anywhere in the world.

To target one woman with eight man?

Geez they are Thai men, biggest lowlife cowards on the planet. Hey Somchia I have a problem with this kid. What did he do? He looked at me. How old is he? About 5 years old. OK, I have 30 mates and we will teach him a lesson.

Classy stuff Thailand.... no, you don't have a problem with extreme violence, and if anyone says so, just kick them in the head 15 times..... Facebook... absolute scum, not just the perpetrators but the guy that she was with, he walked away as soon as he knew what was going to happen, and all of the as653427 that watched it....

I was living in Thailand when Thaksin said that he welcomed foreigners to come to Thailand for their holidays, enjoy the beautiful country and the beaches and then go back to their own countries. At the time he was trying to dissuade the back packers who were travelling on a shoe string overstaying and not bringing in the tourist dollars. Didn't work then and won't work now with the Europeans and Americans but will work with the new rich, the Chinese and the Indians. It is unlikely that the violence and scams will deter them as they are common practice in their home countries.

Shows are tough these guys really . Only took 8 to beat a small woman. I thought they may have had to form a gang to do it. But 8 is a fair fight right. May be next time they will get a gang together and come back.

Nothing to do with toughness. This was a professional job. Hired and implemented what they were paid to do. Two handy guys, watch them, they are trained and handy, beat the girl whilst 6 other watch their backs and make sure no one interferes. She was lucky to get off with being really smashed up or worse.

Wonder what these guys do for a living when not dishing out beatings for payment?

Classy stuff Thailand.... no, you don't have a problem with extreme violence, and if anyone says so, just kick them in the head 15 times..... Facebook... absolute scum, not just the perpetrators but the guy that she was with, he walked away as soon as he knew what was going to happen, and all of the as653427 that watched it....

Was she with that guy, or was he a potential customer? It's an entertainment place.

Would you mix it up with 8 fit looking guys who probably do this sort of thing on a regular basis, are armed and are attacking a bar girl over something you don't know about?

Says a lot about the Thai view of manhood. Perish the thought that the Vietnamese might come one day: the prospect of seeing these types running for the hills would be of some amusement

Please could someone explain. I am not being facetious. I really do not understand. Are Vietnamese supposed to be tough or something?

The Thai army has never in the last century fought a war against any other nation. I suspect it wouldn't do too well if the occasion arose.

Just another demonstration of the flower of Thai manhood. I wonder how many would fill their underwear if they had to fight alone. And I wonder when the judiciary will start handing out attempted murder sentences for these kinds of acts. I won't hold my breath.

The North Vietnamese won a war against the pre-eminent military power in the world in 1972. Doesn't that tell you something?

During World War II, the mindset of the Japanese was that of the samurai culture - surrender was shameful, and anyone who surrendered was regarded as subhuman. It took a couple of atomic bombs to change their mindset.

I suspect the same type of cataclysmic event would be necessary to change the Thai attitude to violence.

th

The air quality seems to be quite poor in that area, according to the CCTV footage.

What a strange comment from someone who had so much to say on the Hua-Hin Songkran beatings. I recognise that the 2 incidents aren't related but would appreciate your opinion of the very 'manly' attackers who just couldn't resist getting in a last final kick to the head, whilst the victim(s) was on the ground.

More Thai excrement, not been a good week for Thailand.

Says a lot about the people of a nation when trouble comes.

I sure would not like to get in trouble in Thailand, your very much on your own.

One day the people of Laos, Cambodia, Burma etc will have their revenge of the way the majority of the Thai people treat them, and I for one look forward to it.

I was talking to a group of Thai students today and basically they said the same thing.

They fear that the opening of the AEC will bring a lot of violence to Thailand.

I was recently attacked by a Thai man. The police prosecuted me because when the man tried to hit me, he hurt his little finger when I put my arm up to protect my face.

I won as self defense in court. But then I was not allowed to prosecute him as the time frame had run out.

This is in the same area. The girl that ordered the attack not being arrested, does not surprise me. And this poor girl trying to go through the courts, where nobody speaks English is going to suffer greatly. She would have to spend thousands on lawyers to follow the case.

Would not surprise me if they all walk free.

It's not my intention to discredit your post in any way, but I thought I'd let you know that Laotians speak a language that is very similar to Thai (I speak Isaan, which is very similar), and that most of them grow up watching a lot of Thai television, many of the shows being educational TV teaching them how to even read Thai.

A large percentage of the Laos population understands every single spoken Thai word. That being said, the rest of your post is of course valid.

Its getting very scary now. Seriously though what are the cops / army playing at? You'd have thought this thuggery would be off limits with a military police outfit in office.

Deplorable, cowardly and the rest. Hope the poor victim recovers and gets the justice she deserves

They're more concerned with scantily clad Songkran revelers or bars open after hours or online posts disagreeing or questioning their or the juntas imagined proficiency.

As I've written before, Thai "men" are cowards and only attack in packs like animals. They will not fight one on one, unless they have a knife or gun. And even then it's unlikely. Yes, there are exceptions but they do not disprove the rule. Even if Thai bystanders see an attack and have nothing to do with the altercation, they will join in for some free hits.

A gang needed to beat up a 90 pound girl?

In a country that doesn't value life of themselves or others, coupled with the fact that there is zero ability to think things through to predict consequences of one's behavior, stupid people do stupid things.

I hope these events keep getting publicized globally like the attack on the elderly couple and their adult son just did. Thailand needs to get hit in the tourism pocketbook before the government does anything about seriously punishing idiots like this. These guys might get, what, 500 baht fines IF caught?

But this is Thai on Lao, so it might not get that much press.

Nonetheless, it really shows the thinking process of people here.

Puppies and Teletubbies. That's as complicated as the thinking gets in Thailand. Puppies and Teletubbies.

Edited by Global Guy

Was she drunk when she ordered the attack ... and the gang drunk? Hope so. Then a Wai ... so sorry ... and a small fine will do.

It amazes me that Thai men have no personal issues with gang violence on small women and old people. Apparently being a coward isn't an issue for them. Terrible loss of face for men in gangs to do this.

The legal consequence to these kind of crimes is a disgrace to the Thai legal system.

The sad part is that it is generally acceptable to ignore a man beating up a woman in this country, as it is perceived as a "lover's quarrel" and thus doesn't concern anyone else. In the villages, some times no one would step up to defend a woman being beaten to death by her boyfriend or husband, as it's "between them" and "none of our concern".

Adding to that, many Thai females actually think their male spouse has the right to beat them. Until this attitude changes, which has to be done through numerous and continuous national campaigns, we can expect a lot more of this kind of behavior.

Edited by Sirbergan

I will give you my opinion. The attack was despicable, violent and way over the top. I have been aware of similar attacks in America when hired thugs have beaten and kicked people to collect 'debts' or provide protection against people who do not want to pay. The American thugs normally would not go after a woman. However, in Thailand it appears equal opportunity exists as far as thuggery . Unfortunately , loss of face will continue to haunt Thai society. WE cannot change it but we can condemn it.

As I've written before, Thai "men" are cowards and only attack in packs like animals. They will not fight one on one, unless they have a knife or gun. And even then it's unlikely. Yes, there are exceptions but they do not disprove the rule. Even if Thai bystanders see an attack and have nothing to do with the altercation, they will join in for some free hits.

A gang needed to beat up a 90 pound girl?

In a country that doesn't value life of themselves or others, coupled with the fact that there is zero ability to think things through to predict consequences of one's behavior, stupid people do stupid things.

I hope these events keep getting publicized globally like the attack on the elderly couple and their adult son just did. Thailand needs to get hit in the tourism pocketbook before the government does anything about seriously punishing idiots like this. These guys might get, what, 500 baht fines IF caught?

But this is Thai on Lao, so it might not get that much press.

Nonetheless, it really shows the thinking process of people here.

Puppies and Teletubbies. That's as complicated as the thinking gets in Thailand. Puppies and Teletubbies.

Make that puppies, teletubbies, and hello kitty, the perfect trifecta of intelligent thought.

Where are the idiots who want to find ways of justifying this kind of violence?

I mean really - what kind of mentality? Someone asks you to beat up a woman for money so you grab a load of mates to help you. I can't help but feel that this was less about the money and more about having an excuse to inflict pain on another human being. That's very scary and sad.

Thai guys are cowards. I can see why....they are little scrawny men. But they won't fight one on one, even against a woman. They fight like a pack of animals. Even unconnected bystanders will jump into a fight if they see one. Never get into an altercation where there is a motorbike taxi stand, for example. Or a bar.

Even if a verbal altercation starts out one on one, their yelling will attract other Thais in the area and they will come a running.

Gangs seem to be thriving under this regime. I've seen more motocy gang activity in the last few months than the previous nine years combined. It'll flare if not suppressed with a heavy hand.

I think this is exactly where they are trying to get at.

3 step same process all over again,

- create or let a situation become a problem

- do nothing to prevent it and let it become so bad that big repression become the only solution

- Take as many civil rights as possible as people are traumatized and can accept anything