Red wine

frodo77

Who drinks boxed wine for the taste? Although I understand what he means. I buy it too because it is affordable but I know I am drinking swill. I think I found fortuna is alright for what it is.

Gone are the days when most of us thought wine in a box was simply cheap swill . . . .

--http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/the-boxed-wine-you-should-be-buying-now/

The Best Boxed Wines

Who drinks boxed wine for the taste? Although I understand what he means. I buy it too because it is affordable but I know I am drinking swill. I think I found fortuna is alright for what it is.

Gone are the days when most of us thought wine in a box was simply cheap swill . . . .

The Best Boxed Wines

There are exceptions to the rule but normally when you are asking for cheap wine In a box you are making a compromise of over all taste to cost. Otherwise this belongs in the lies we tell ourselves thread.

Thanks to the 'Mont Clair' thread on here I'm now an expert on boxed wines in Thailand... tongue.png

For the cheapness, I originally started on Mont Clair then Peter Vella but couldn't stomach it, even with ice.

Due to a recommendation on said thread, I tried Bodegas which, at 14%, has quite a kick both in strength & taste. At 200B per litre it's not out of my price range for personal use but others like to imbibe & I find it a bit too sharp, even after icing.

Last week I tried 'Castle Creek', one of the family of Creeks LOL. Still strong at 13% but doesn't have the kick of Bodegas & the price is right at 180B per litre or 132B per bottle; bought a second 5L box only today. smile.png

As you can guess, I'm not a connoisseur as I drink it by the bottle, not by the glass & I don't spit... laugh.png

BTW the above is only for red wine, available in Tesco & Makro AFAIK.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

The Best Boxed Wines

Spot on.

It has now become EXPENSIVE SWILL in Thailand. Ah, for a decent "RED NED" that won't cost more than a new car!

The Best Boxed Wines

There are exceptions to the rule but normally when you are asking for cheap wine In a box you are making a compromise of over all taste to cost. Otherwise this belongs in the lies we tell ourselves thread.

Oh, one can argue compromise for anything less than, say, a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti Grand Cru. I'm happy to compromise but I won't drink the swill I'm currently finding on offer as you do.

As the links above and others indicate, there are some decent real wines in boxes nowadays--but not in Thailand it seems.

OP is asking for something more mellow and smooth tasting than Mont Claire. I'm asking whether anyone knows of a box wine sold locally nowadays that's actually wine rather than reconstituted wine + fruit juice. In fact there used to be one or two, as I remember buying a box at Villa years ago. As you have no useful information except "fortuna" but want to chant outdated rules, why not exit the thread?

Edited by JSixpack

Well, it would be of interest to know whether anyone has found a box wine sold locally nowadays that's actually wine rather than reconstituted wine + fruit juice, gag.

My understanding of why they add the fruit juice is so they can avoid the 400%+ taxes on wine, it keeps the price down but certainly doesn't improve the drink-ability of the wine!

Cheers!

As a few other posters have said, the cask (or boxed) wines available here are, just about without exception (Bodegas Centenarias was an exception, but hard to find now), a mixture of wine and fruit juice.

The ones produced by Siam Winery here in Thailand, such as Montclair seems to fit the bill for those folks who want to chill it quite markedly, or some restaurants and bars because it keeps for six weeks or so after being opened, however many don't like it.

I am not a fan of such wines, but then again, everyone to their own and if I was to make a recommendation as to what I consider one of the "better" cask red wines, then I would suggest the "Berri Estates".

And if you care to look through the Montclair wine thread you will see hundreds of posts regarding this subject.

The Best Boxed Wines

V true - and we all accept that we are making the decision of affordable over taste.

The Best Boxed Wines

Oh, one can argue compromise for anything less than, say, a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti Grand Cru. I'm happy to compromise but I won't drink the swill I'm currently finding on offer as you do.

As the links above and others indicate, there are some decent real wines in boxes nowadays--but not in Thailand it seems.

OP is asking for something more mellow and smooth tasting than Mont Claire. I'm asking whether anyone knows of a box wine sold locally nowadays that's actually wine rather than reconstituted wine + fruit juice. In fact there used to be one or two, as I remember buying a box at Villa years ago. As you have no useful information except "fortuna" but want to chant outdated rules, why not exit the thread?

I did make a suggestion.

... I would suggest the "Berri Estates".

And if you care to look through the Montclair wine thread you will see hundreds of posts regarding this subject.

I read the thread also & Berri Estates has good reviews. As it's slightly more expensive than Bodegas, I decided to go the cheap Castle Creek way. It is / was the end of the month after all... laugh.png

...but I will try Berri Estates next time. smile.png