Brexit campaign is told to focus on immigration

rooster59

Brexit campaign is told to focus on immigration

By Catherine Hardy

post-247607-0-02087600-1461985745_thumb.

There are just under two months to go until the UK referendum on membership of the EU.

Campaigning is in full swing.

Immigration is an ongoing issue and one that is featuring prominently ahead of the country’s referendum on EU membership.

What is Nigel Farage saying?

The leader of the UK Independence Party says it is “impossible” for Britain to control immigration while it is a member of the EU.

Nigel Farage, a member of the European Parliament (MEP), has urged the “Leave” campaign to unite around the issue.

“Since the Treaty of Maastricht, we have been citizens of the European Union. We have to, in this campaign, make people understand that EU membership and uncontrolled immigration are synonymous with each other.”

Farage also mentioned security concerns linked to Europe’s migration influx as an argument in favour of what is being called a “Brexit” or “British Exit.”

What is Angela Merkel saying?

Speaking at a press conference in Berlin with the Latvian Prime Minister, the German Chancellor says she wants Britain to stay in the EU.

Merkel said remaining in the EU will ensure that Britain remains a prosperous and economically successful country.

“Everyone is talking about it from their own perspective”, she said. “From my perspective: I want a strong, economically-thriving Great Britain in the European Union. The actual decision lies with the citizens of Great Britain.”

Merkel added that the pending TTIP US-EU free trade deal will also bring economic benefits.

What does the City say?

The main campaign group seeking to get Britain out of the EU says more than 100 executives from Britain’s financial services industry have signed a public letter backing the “Brexit” campaign.

What do the polls say?

Polls suggest support for the campaign to remain in the European Union has risen by one percentage point in the last two weeks.

It now stands at 41 percent.

That is compared to an increase in support for the “Leave” campaign, which is edging slightly ahead.

This has reportedly risen by three points to 42 percent.

Get the latest poll details here

When is the referendum?

There are just under two months to go.

The UK will vote on whether to leave or remain in the EU on June 23.

What they are saying

“One must realistically say which advantages membership of the European Union has and what advantages the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership has, and what is being negotiated now is also clear.” – German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

“Assuming good political leadership and an effective regulatory environment, we believe that the City is most likely to strengthen its lead as the world’s largest international financial centre, and continue to make a major contribution to the UK economy and employment, outside the EU but with continued access to its capital markets” – UK financial services industry public letter.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-30

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it they have given up trying to find economic argument for brexit then so seems like the decision is going to be down to what you are scared of most - poverty or immigrants.

You'll get poverty with the EU due to immigration overwhelming the system.

The UK was strong and prosperous before it entered the EU. Few of the promises have come true while some current and potential future repercussions weren't expected by the people.

If you don't have borders and national security and sovereignty you can't manage a country and provide for your own people.

The UK will continue to get weaker in the EU just as it has already. The UK's debt is skyrocketing because it's overwhelmed.

Get out and take your country back. Build The Wall. You can trade with the USA while the rest of the EU sucks air and crashes. How do people get sucked into believing that something which hasn't worked thus far will work into the future?

The UK was strong and prosperous before it entered the EU. Few of the promises have come true while some current and potential future repercussions weren't expected by the people.

If you don't have borders and national security and sovereignty you can't manage a country and provide for your own people.

The UK will continue to get weaker in the EU just as it has already. The UK's debt is skyrocketing because it's overwhelmed.

Get out and take your country back. Build The Wall. You can trade with the USA while the rest of the EU sucks air and crashes. How do people get sucked into believing that something which hasn't worked thus far will work into the future?

Build that wall. VOTE TRUMP.biggrin.png

Do we have to fill in our moat to build this wall on?

There might be a few votes in rebuilding Hadrian's Wall.

The headline is as depressing as the scaremongering by the establishment sad.png .

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to know whether leaving the EU would be good or bad for the majority in the UK. Depending on your POV, its a risk worth taking or not worth taking.

The headline is as depressing as the scaremongering by the establishment sad.png .

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to know whether leaving the EU would be good or bad for the majority in the UK. Depending on your POV, its a risk worth taking or not worth taking.[/

A word of advice for anyone who is still unsure about their voting intentions on the day of the EU referendum.

If you are British and do not wish to see your country, democracy and freedom totally disappear you should become better informed and watch the video entitled :

URGENT MESSAGE To All British People

here

youtube.com/watch?v=EokwQi15pO0&ab_channel=TheFubar1066

For your safety and future prosperity, the seriousness of this situation must be made known to all Britons.

Please play your part in the fight for your country and ensure that you circulate this message as widely and as quickly as possible.

Your country is in peril, step up and fight for it.

If you only ever vote once in your life, this is the time to do so - Vote LEAVE

Send back all the Europeans...

Bar stool logic,

Then Europe will send back all the Brits who have not contributed to our welfare system and who have no jobs, the fool needs to find out just how many Brits are living and working in in Europe first.

Bar stool logic,

Then Europe will send back all the Brits who have not contributed to our welfare system and who have no jobs, the fool needs to find out just how many Brits are living and working in in Europe first.

OK, please tell us how many Brits are working abroad and have never paid UK taxes?

Bar stool logic,

Because thousands of Britons every day are rushing to Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and the other Eastern Bloc countries to milk the benefits system and share in their booming economies.

I take it they have given up trying to find economic argument for brexit then so seems like the decision is going to be down to what you are scared of most - poverty or immigrants.

Staying in the EU will give you both

Bar stool logic,

Who is suggesting sending back All the Europeans?,certainly not Nigel Farage. What UKIP is proposing is control of the U.K. Borders. When that is achieved, the U.K. Will Allow those European and None European workers who are needed for the benifit of the U.K. Economy, to work in the UK.

There might be a few votes in rebuilding Hadrian's Wall.

Better together, eh?

The UK, strong and prosperous back in the late 60s and early 70s I don't know what planet you were living on in that era but it certainly wasn't planet earth.

I remember a nation that was brought to its knees almost every day by a strike in this industry or that industry. I remember industrial relations dominated by extreme left wing agitators. I remember Britain's universities being hotbeds of extreme left wing politics. I remember a nation in terminal industrial decline due to the disinclination of inept British management to invest in staff training, modern machinery and seemingly left rudderless in the new new age of industrial relations dominated by the powerful unions. I remember an era when unemployment passed the 1 million mark for the first time since the depression in the 30s. I remember daily announcements of hundreds, sometimes thousands of redundancies by Britain's great enterprises: British Steel, ICI, GEC, The Port of London Authority. I remember Britain's, once great, car industry staggering from one crisis to the next, from one all out strike to the next. I remember London buried under its own refuse with Leicester Square boasting a pile of it 50 feet high because the bin men had gone on strike.

What was "great and prosperous" about that?

There's just a couple of minor details that Brexit enthusiasts seem to have forgotten one of which is that most of our trade agreements with other countries are implemented through EU agreements. If we leave the EU, all those agreements disappear; Obama has rightly pointed out that we are not important enough in world trade to command much attention from the giants like the US and China. As he said, you go to the back of the queue.

The one we can't do without is an agreement with the EU. Over 50% of our trade is with them and they can, and quite likely will, play hardball with the UK if we leave. We will have cost them a huge amount of money, why should they go easy on us. One of the things the will most likely insist on is our continued compliance with the free movement of labour provisions. Do you Brexiters see the danger here: we vote to leave, we end up having to all the EU immigrants as before but now we don't even get a say in the decision making process. We just get told what we may and may not do! How is that an advantage?

Edited by paulbj2

The UK, strong and prosperous back in the late 60s and early 70s I don't know what planet you were living on in that era but it certainly wasn't planet earth.

I remember a nation that was brought to its knees almost every day by a strike in this industry or that industry. I remember industrial relations dominated by extreme left wing agitators. I remember Britain's universities being hotbeds of extreme left wing politics. I remember a nation in terminal industrial decline due to the disinclination of inept British management to invest in staff training, modern machinery and seemingly left rudderless in the new new age of industrial relations dominated by the powerful unions. I remember an era when unemployment passed the 1 million mark for the first time since the depression in the 30s. I remember daily announcements of hundreds, sometimes thousands of redundancies by Britain's great enterprises: British Steel, ICI, GEC, The Port of London Authority. I remember Britain's, once great, car industry staggering from one crisis to the next, from one all out strike to the next. I remember London buried under its own refuse with Leicester Square boasting a pile of it 50 feet high because the bin men had gone on strike.

There's just a couple of minor details that Brexit enthusiasts seem to have forgotten one of which is that most of our trade agreements with other countries are implemented through EU agreements. If we leave the EU, all those agreements disappear; Obama has rightly pointed out that we are not important enough in world trade to command much attention from the giants like the US and China. As he said, you go to the back of the queue.

The one we can't do without is an agreement with the EU. Over 50% of our trade is with them and they can, and quite likely will, play hardball with the UK if we leave. We will have cost them a huge amount of money, why should they go easy on us. One of the things the will most likely insist on is our continued compliance with the free movement of labour provisions. Do you Brexiters see the danger here: we vote to leave, we end up having to all the EU immigrants as before but now we don't even get a say in the decision making process. We just get told what we may and may not do! How is that an advantage?

Good post. I have faith that common sense will prevail as it did in the previous European referendum and in the Scottish referendum.

Good post. I have faith that common sense will prevail as it did in the previous European referendum and in the Scottish referendum.

You seem to forget,that in the previous European referendum the electorate were completely deceived.are you prepared to accept that again?

As for how the UK was years ago, I agree not everything was perfect.

Will the UK be a utopia in the event of a Britex,for sure not,however I do believe it will be more prosperous,and safer than if we remain in. Check out what the Eurocrats in Brussel have got planned for the future of this corrupt so called Union.

My concern is what are their plans if we stay? We know Ttip but I've got a feeling we are going to have to pay for our insolence of daring to have the referendum and will be forced to accept a whole load of new laws and regulations. I also think leaving will be tough too, but long term better for us cause I don't see the Germans or French governments having our best intentions at heart. I've seen how the French blatantly disregard a new regulation if they don't like it, and unfortunately we seem to play by the rules. Apart from having probably the worst bunch of so called leaders I've ever seen that in itself means we have no one who will really fight our corner. Farage love him or hate him does actually stand up in the European parliament and give them what for and again to be fair he's been proven right on a lot of the things he predicted would happen, I love seeing them squirm when he goes for them. They are so smug about the whole thing and absolutely out of touch with what the people really want. I mean Cameron coming back and thinking tax off tampons was something to be proud of! It about sums him up.

Edited by sabian

Bar stool logic,

OK, please tell us how many Brits are working abroad and have never paid UK taxes?

But there are nearly one million non working ex pat British geriatrics living in Spain sponging from our infrastructure and using our healthcare. The Spanish people are with the leave group. We don't want you in the EU

Edited by Johnyo

The UK was in a recession when they joined the EU. wai.gif It is easy to look up these things. biggrin.png

Yes, well said. We used to be called the sick man of Europe. Sadly, many contributors don't know the history

Bar stool logic,

But there are nearly one million non working ex pat British geriatrics living in Spain sponging from our infrastructure and using our healthcare. The Spanish people are with the leave group. We don't want you in the EU

Please check your facts before spouting such rubbish.Under the European Insurance Health Card each country can claim back health costs from other EU Countries.

The latest figures show that the UK paid £620,000,000 to the other countries for these costs,while the other EU counties paid to the UK just £50,000,000,therefore we paid £620,000,000 more than we received back.

This is in spite of the fact that there are far more EU nationals residing in the UK than UK nationals residing in the EU.

It might also be of interest to you as a Spanish national to know that each country can claim A+E expenses for treating other EU countries,citizens. The U.K. does Not claim this expense,yet Spain Does.

Bar stool logic,

Please check your facts before spouting such rubbish.Under the European Insurance Health Card each country can claim back health costs from other EU Countries.

The latest figures show that the UK paid £620,000,000 to the other countries for these costs,while the other EU counties paid to the UK just £50,000,000,therefore we paid £620,000,000 more than we received back.

This is in spite of the fact that there are far more EU nationals residing in the UK than UK nationals residing in the EU.

It might also be of interest to you as a Spanish national to know that each country can claim A+E expenses for treating other EU countries,citizens. The U.K. does Not claim this expense,yet Spain Does.

Did I mention money? All I said is that there are nearly one million expats living in Spain with access to our health system. By infrastructure I mean roads, beaches etc.The British are the worst type of immigration any country can receive. Don't integrate, don't speak the language and have a self righteous attitude we can really do without. As I said we don't want you in the EU and we don't want you in Spain.

Bar stool logic,

Did I mention money? All I said is that there are nearly one million expats living in Spain with access to our health system. By infrastructure I mean roads, beaches etc.The British are the worst type of immigration any country can receive. Don't integrate, don't speak the language and have a self righteous attitude we can really do without. As I said we don't want you in the EU and we don't want you in Spain.

Put the booze prices up. That will fix the problem!

On a serious note now. It makes me laugh all when the British constantly complain about immigrants not integrating..lol. The level of the average Sharon and Darren living in Spain is " una cerveza por favor" and "where is the nearest pub". Their contribution to Spanish society is next to nothing. OK so they have bought a property for less than 80K in the Costa Blanca after watching A place in thes sun, from some British property developer and they think that gives them the right to some sort of self entitlement. My father is a doctor in a Spanish hospital hence my previous comments about 'using' our healthcare system. This self worth of being British living Spain come with beauties like 'You Spanish are a third world country" "in the NHS this wouldnt happen" "I'm British so I should be treated first' etc etc. There might be more Europeans living in Britain than Brits living in Europe..the difference is most Spanish, French, Germans etc living in the UK are working and paying taxes. The majority of Brits living in Spain, France Italy, etc are retired and not paying any taxes. If you vote to get out and believe me, we are with you, get ready for a massive exodus back to cold land as pensions will be frozen and medical expenses will not be taken care off etc and we wont have to put up with the I'm British so I'm better crap..the empire died years a go and you still haven't realized

British voters need to open their eyes and see the EU for what it has become.

EU leaders ignored the democratic Dutch people's referendum vote on Ukraine.

David Cameron unable to achieve a better deal for Britain recently

Secret TTIP negotiations.

Taking steps to form a European army.

Commenced training a joint German/French military police unit with the power to be deployed in any member state.

Allowing uncontrolled immigration from North Africa.

Doing a deal with Turkey which would give millions of Turks visa free access to Europe.

So don't just focus on the trade side of things, look at the big picture and regain control of your future.

It's true Britain had problems in the 60's with socalism

The EU did not solve these problems, we did !

Before we joined we traded with the rest of the world and the comonwealth

The rest of the world is still out there it should be up to us to make trade agreements with who ever we want, without europe telling us who we can and cannot trade with

People from anywhere in the world should be allowed to work in Britain, work and pay taxes into the system, if you have no job and no money to live on you go back to your own country, the taxes they paid into the system was a payment for the right to work in Britain not an investment into the benefits system.

The Briexit needs to be more to win the Leave vote . So many issues where the EU is failing the people big time and they are not pushing the message.

I already have my bet on that the Stay in the EU dictatorship will be the end result because Brussels has the money to throw at it to make sure the UK don't leave. I seriously want to lose this bet but I can see the corruption that is taking place.

If the UK leave and withdraw funding the EU collapses as other countries will also leave.

If you truly believe in democracy you will vote to leave.