SURVEY: Is Thailand experiencing a crime wave?

Scott

SURVEY: Is Thailand experiencing an increase in violent crimes targeting foreigners?  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A study* by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime covering a 20-year period through 2009 using monthly crime and economic data taken from countries identified as having economic upheaval (Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Italy, Jamaica, Latvia, Mauritius, Mexico, the Philippines, Poland, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago and Uruguay) suggests that economic stress causes an increase in criminal behaviour.

There certainly has been continued economic stress in Thailand from 2010 to the present. And potentially more in the near future.

The availability of weapons and potential targets, drug and alcohol consumption and the ineffectiveness of law enforcement will fail to restrain rising overall crime levels.

* https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/frontpage/2012/February/economic-crises-can-trigger-rise-in-crime.html

I think it's about the same, but now the RTP and TAT can't cover up the incidents. With You Tube and Facebook it's

very difficult to keep these incidents quiet! All incidents will be made public, for instance, the three Brits being

mauled by four Thai Thugs. Without You Tube, the RTP and TAT would have had the incident covered up permanently!

More violence against Thai and foreigners. Just watch the Lao gik video. Open the newspaper. Speak with locals. My lady friend told me recently the country isn't what it used to be. Just like the world in general. Aggressive video games, pressure through idiotic social media, narcissism, egomasturbation, the have-nots envying the haves, etc.

At present times, the anti-foreign movement is supported and instigated;

That's the main reason i voted yes. Although I do think xenophobia and nationalism exist in Thailand for a long time, I believe things are being exacerbated by the current government's attitude and statements towards foreigners.

Whether the local authorities like to admit it or not, Thailand has always been a rather violent society, and no "We are oh so Buddhist" or "All Thais love one another" BS talk and glossy TAT brochures can change that fact.

Locals are offing each other left and right on a daily basis and frequently for the most trivial reasons. Dubious magazines like "191" and others only exist because they are able to easily fill their pages with shockingly graphic images week after week after week.

I think pretty much the only reason why crimes against foreigners (and also crimes against locals) seem to experience a sharp increase is that they can no longer be swept under the carpet by the authorities, but will rather sooner than later be reported in the social media.

And that is a thorn in the side of the powers-that-be in their misguided and hypocritical pursuit of presenting Thailand as an almost fairy tale land-like society of universal peace and never-ending smiles populated by citizens who lay in each others' arms day and night singing "kum ba ya".

This is what happens when you have a very poorly educated and poor populace, with little or no future. Throw in economic hardship, draconian suppression, and media constantly pushing 'things' and the 'good life' and you get a populace that is unhappy and discontent. They resort to booze and drugs, which only makes their life worse, so the depression deepens and eventually boils over.

Throw in a police force that is arguably the largest criminal organization in the kingdom, and you have a powerkeg just waiting to explode.

I fear what we are seeing today is only the tip of the iceberg. I think that the future for Thailand is very bleak. I hope everyone here has an exit strategy. I know I do.

Same amount, just now the social networks work at full speed and censorship is harder

I agree. Social networking means that violent acts are broadcast much more frequently than was previously the case, making us think that violence is happening more often, when in fact it may not be. In the absence of any reliable statistics, it's easy to get a distorted view from YouTube clips. Edited by dbrenn

This is what happens when you have a very poorly educated and poor populace, with little or no future. Throw in economic hardship, draconian suppression, and media constantly pushing 'things' and the 'good life' and you get a populace that is unhappy and discontent. They resort to booze and drugs, which only makes their life worse, so the depression deepens and eventually boils over. Throw in a police force that is arguably the largest criminal organization in the kingdom, and you have a powerkeg just waiting to explode. I fear what we are seeing today is only the tip of the iceberg. I think that the future for Thailand is very bleak. I hope everyone here has an exit strategy. I know I do.

You are absolutely correct and very well put. I have been feeling like this since the Koh Tao events revealed quite how bad things are here.

Same amount, just now the social networks work at full speed and censorship is harder

I'm keeping an open mind on this, as it's likely social media has exposed crimes which otherwise would not have made headlines. On the other hand, it begs the question as to just how much crime (against foreigners) has been swept under the carpet by the Thai authorities.

I think the xenophobia test will happen if and when Thailand is 'red-carded' for non-compliance regarding international standards for human rights, fishing or air transport. If any form of boycott is enforced, it will have a serious effect on the Thai economy, with a knock-on effect on wages and living standards for many citizens. On the basis that Thailand always looks abroad for the cause of any of it's economic problems, I believe there is the likelihood that foreigners in LOS will be the target for some form of knee-jerk retribution.

Edited by joebrown

That's the main reason i voted yes. Although I do think xenophobia and nationalism exist in Thailand for a long time, I believe things are being exacerbated by the current government's attitude and statements towards foreigners.

When it comes to xenophobia and nationalism, you can't beat the US, Europe and Australia. You don't see organized marches by hate groups here regarding immigration or the presence of "foreigners." Foreigners may indeed be the target of crimes for financial gain, for the simple reason that they tend to stand out as targets by the way they live and behave here, especially the not inconsiderable numbers who come as sex tourists ... i.e. to buy people.

Giving the almost boundless negativity demonstrated here by those who think everything Thai is contemptible, it's not hard to understand why their arrogance fosters anger and contempt.

"I hate everything in Thailand. Why don't you still love me." might be the appropriate motto for many.

post-145917-0-99564200-1462089973_thumb.

post-145917-0-34400700-1462089993_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

I suspect that the crime level remains much the same - but their has been an explosion in reporting and discussing it, principally on social media.

Previously it largely went unremarked.

what I believe I have noticed over my ten years here, in the North, is that alcoholism has continued to rise and now to such a level that it is a basic facet of what it means to be a male. that, and illiteracy. and I believe these are linked somewhat as well.

Edited by maewang99

what I believe I have noticed over my ten years here, in the North, is that alcoholism has continued to rise and now to such a level that it is a basic facet of what it means to be a male. that, and illiteracy. and I believe these are linked somewhat as well.

Yes, I think that you have definitely got something there.

An increasing number of people, particularly in rural areas, seem to have been left behind. Without an economic or political stake in the country and its development, maybe they turn to booze (and for the younger ones Yaa baa). Crime is I suppose a natural result of the growth of such an "underclass".

A countries development, economic, political and educational needs to be inclusive if it is to avoid producing such an "excluded underclass", and the resulting problems. Perhaps a point which is missed by those who run things/rule?

Virtually every business and house except for the ones that obviously have nothing to steal has extensive extra bars on windows and doors. Don't know if that's a change from the past, but it does say something about levels of theft.

This is what happens when you have a very poorly educated and poor populace, with little or no future. Throw in economic hardship, draconian suppression, and media constantly pushing 'things' and the 'good life' and you get a populace that is unhappy and discontent. They resort to booze and drugs, which only makes their life worse, so the depression deepens and eventually boils over. Throw in a police force that is arguably the largest criminal organization in the kingdom, and you have a powerkeg just waiting to explode. I fear what we are seeing today is only the tip of the iceberg. I think that the future for Thailand is very bleak. I hope everyone here has an exit strategy. I know I do.

Much of what you wrote could apply to large percentages of citizens in several countries, including the UK.

When it comes to xenophobia and nationalism, you can't beat the US, Europe and Australia. You don't see organized marches by hate groups here regarding immigration or the presence of "foreigners." Foreigners may indeed be the target of crimes for financial gain, for the simple reason that they tend to stand out as targets by the way they live and behave here, especially the not inconsiderable numbers who come as sex tourists ... i.e. to buy people.

Giving the almost boundless negativity demonstrated here by those who think everything Thai is contemptible, it's not hard to understand why their arrogance fosters anger and contempt.

"I hate everything in Thailand. Why don't you still love me." might be the appropriate motto for many.

Total nonsense. I will talk to you when the Anti Discrimination Body of Thailand (if there is such a thing), fines Suthep and other people for making statements in the media to the tune of: "We don't respect farangs".

As for the sex tourists, after the Erawan bombings, when RTP went out to "reassure the tourists they are safe", do you know where they went?

Soi 4 Nana Sukhhumvit Bangkok. In front of a prostitute bar called "Suckers". Cos that's what tourists are for them.

So spare me, thanks.

Edited by lkv

Total nonsense. I will talk to you when the Anti Discrimination Body of Thailand (if there is such a thing), fines Suthep and other people for making statements in the media to the tune of: "We don't respect farangs".

As for the sex tourists, after the Erawan bombings, when RTP went out to "reassure the tourists they are safe", do you know where they went?

Soi 4 Nana Sukhhumvit Bangkok. In front of a prostitute bar called "Suckers". Cos that's what tourists are for them.

So spare me, thanks.

Do you think that the choice of the Logo "Suckers" was a subtle dig by the hierarchy of the buffoons in brown, or was it an epic fail by an organisation who are so self obsessed that they wouldn't recognize irony if it was served on a silver platter, wrapped in velvet and bedecked with ribbons? I rather suspect the latter.

Let's face it, the police force has at best a marginal effect upon the level of crime here, and it's not interested in anything except self aggrandizement and making money. If there was any money to be made (reward offered) from the Hua Hin beatings they would have been in there doing their Inspector Clouseau impressions like rats up a drainpipe! As it is they are now reacting because international pressure, driven by social media, is losing them face. Once the victims fly out (and they're not going to come back to testify are they?) they will be paid off, either by the perpetrators and/or the bar owners and it will all be quietly forgotten.

Edited by JAG

Whether the local authorities like to admit it or not, Thailand has always been a rather violent society, and no "We are oh so Buddhist" or "All Thais love one another" BS talk and glossy TAT brochures can change that fact.

A primitive society, no matter what their global "ambitions" are... Life around here is still very primate'ish: eat, sleep, mate. coffee1.gif

Do you think that the choice of the Logo "Suckers" was a subtle dig by the hierarchy of the buffoons in brown, or was it an epic fail by an organisation who are so self obsessed that they wouldn't recognize irony if it was served on a silver platter, wrapped in velvet and bedecked with ribbons? I rather suspect the latter.

Let's face it, the police force has at best a marginal effect upon the level of crime here, and it's not interested in anything except self aggrandizement and making money. If there was any money to be made (reward offered) from the Hua Hin beatings they would have been in their doing their Inspector Clouseau impressions like rats up a drainpipe!

Initially, I thought the same. Like they are so stupid they would let themselves photographed in front of a "Suckers" sign. Then I digested it further and maybe we were the suckers. :) It was like a hidden message. But who knows.

Regardless, the fact that they consider Soi 4 representative of Thai tourism says it all.

It's much worse than that. There's the boose and the drugs, sure. But there's also this "evolution" which has skipped 10 decades of social "revolution"/emancipation/etc the West has known. As recent as "yesterday" these people were riding trishaw and oxcarts, now they all want fortuners. As recent as "yesterday" they were eating home-grown fruits and veggies now they want KFC & Mc Do. And so on. The majority of this country CAN hardly afford the bare basics but yet, they'd rather skip on education if by doing so they can show off a smartphone (which they will never use smartly). The future here is bleak because their new GOD is consumerism and all the rest is a joke. BG's used to sell their bodies to support families. now they buy 40.000THB iphones. clap2.gif