SURVEY: Is Thailand experiencing a crime wave?

Scott

SURVEY: Is Thailand experiencing an increase in violent crimes targeting foreigners?  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think that the choice of the Logo "Suckers" was a subtle dig by the hierarchy of the buffoons in brown, or was it an epic fail by an organisation who are so self obsessed that they wouldn't recognize irony if it was served on a silver platter, wrapped in velvet and bedecked with ribbons? I rather suspect the latter.

Let's face it, the police force has at best a marginal effect upon the level of crime here, and it's not interested in anything except self aggrandizement and making money. If there was any money to be made (reward offered) from the Hua Hin beatings they would have been in their doing their Inspector Clouseau impressions like rats up a drainpipe!

Initially, I thought the same. Like they are so stupid they would let themselves photographed in front of a "Suckers" sign. Then I digested it further and maybe we were the suckers. smile.png It was like a hidden message. But who knows.

Regardless, the fact that they consider Soi 4 representative of Thai tourism says it all.

Soi 4 represents a big revenue generator. A lot of businesses all making regular "informal" contributions. They are drawn to the money like moths to a flame.

Soi 4 represents a big revenue generator. A lot of businesses all making regular "informal" contributions. They are drawn to the money like moths to a flame.

Shhh....don't wake the Thai apologists up. They believe Thailand is a moral beacon.

Edited by lkv

Whether the local authorities like to admit it or not, Thailand has always been a rather violent society, and no "We are oh so Buddhist" or "All Thais love one another" BS talk and glossy TAT brochures can change that fact.

A primitive society, no matter what their global "ambitions" are... Life around here is still very primate'ish: eat, sleep, mate. coffee1.gif

Well put, Mook. Yes, it is a very primitive society - and a society at that that attracts growing numbers of tourists because it is so primitive and backwards, thus ":exotic".

But that very same society in its nationalistic indoctrination presents itself as a sort of "pinnacle of culture". Ask any local if they think they are primitive and chances are you're going to get your head bashed in for such an insult. They don't realize that the bashing itself is primitive, brute behavior, though.

Have been coming here for over 20 years and of course things have changed. But so has the rest of the world!

If you live a normal live here, then I think it is a pretty safe country with some very nice people in it. But of course the risk changes, if you go places where alcohol is involved (again the same as other places in the world).

Being attacked or anything like that, is never a worry to me. I however worry, when I drive around here.

Edited by khunpa

People talk about crime waves in Thailand, but I feel safer here compared with other countries like Cambodia or the Philippines. I am more worried about traffic accidents than being robbed walking outside late at night , Never experienced any crime related incidents after 5 years, Not even a classic bar fight.

Edited by balo

How do I tell if there is a crime wave or not? If I look at the statistics they inlcude Road Traffic Accidents and injuries and deaths from the insurgency in the South so those numbers don't really tell me anything.

If I judge the question based on what I see every day my answer is no, there's no crime wave because I don't see or hear of anything different.

If I judge the question based on what I read and hear on TVF and the newspapers I say Yes, there's a massive increase in crime and I'm going out to buy a gun to protect myself! (but the media rhetoric is hardly reliable since news of crime sells copy and clicks).

But there again I live in rural Chiang Mai, not in Phuket and Pattaya hence maybe what I see and hear at my location is different from what I might see and hear at other locations. Most importantly, I don't go the the bar so I'm missing out on that one key source of valuable news input in this matter, the guy on the next bar stool!

The much lauded increase in tourist visitors brings increased opportunity for the criminal fraternity, so naturally the crime figures will rise correspondingly. The same can be said of any country, and if I wasn't too lazy to check I could probably find statistics that show crime is higher at a UK holiday town down during peak season than off season.

The problem here appears to be that the increase in tourism has been matched by criminal activity, while the RTP methodology has changed very little. The main focus on crime seems not to be on prevention of crime, more on prevention of reporting of crime.

The problem, in my limited experience, is that RTP think that numbers of officers is better than quality of officers, which wouldn't be a bad thing if some of those officers were more visible on the streets where the main problem of crimes against tourists occur.

No,not at all.Its always been here,its just that more of it is hitting the outside world media now.Our leader wants to understand that now this is getting out,he cannot control it.Is this the beginning of the end? Thailand F##ked up by a few thug's?

The freedom of the media can only expand while there are fee thinking people out there.Big things start in small ways.And martyrs will always be sacrificed along the way,but one day,some might say.'Enough is enough'

Also today we have the social media , and online news sites reporting crime 24/7 . 20 years ago I am pretty sure there was a lot of domestic crime too but it was never reported to the media.

We live in a world were the technology will give us detailed information about horrible crimes anywhere on this planet , and it only takes a few minutes from the crime was commited until someone uploads a video of it.

About 6 years ago I had a 300 baht pair of gloves stolen from my motorbike. That was the only time I was a victim of a crime in the 12 years I've lived in Thailand, residing mostly in Bangkok and Pattaya, but I've noticed a lot paranoia and hysteria on this internet board.

This 'survey' isn't even balanced. What's the point of providing one positive response and two nearly equivalent negatives?

A similar thing happened to me - I had a crash helmet stolen in 1995. Other than that, in the 23 years I've spent here, no crimes to report. That said, I've always kept a low profile and I'm not the sort of person who becomes aggressive when I drink.

In the early days, a couple of blokes I knew were beaten up by gangs of Thais, on two separate occasions, but this was not reported as social networking didn't exist at the time. Both cases involved farang guys who were nice enough when sober but changed when they were drunk into rude trouble makers, so probably got themselves into trouble that way. They were both beaten senseless and left unconscious, battered and bruised beyond recognition.

Anyone whose personality changes when drunk should definitely stay off the booze here. A minority of Thais have a cruel streak, and people will more likely join in that step in and help if someone decides to give you a bashing for being out of line when drunk.

Having lived in Thailand on and off over the last twenty years, I can say that I am much more careful where and when I go out at night. I chose to retire in Thailand because of the people, the vast majority of whom are delightful and civil. There does appear to be a growing number of young Thai males (and ladyboys) who use violence to achieve what they cannot through peaceful means.

I voted "Yes", but regret to say that there are still much worse places than here when it comes to the chances of being assaulted. At least here there would be a 99% chance of walking away unharmed if one complied with a robber, but in other places they just walk up to you and kill you, then go through your pockets. Very scary indeed :(

Yes Phatomfiddler...many places more dangerous. I do know not to go where I increase my chances of running into a problem. That said I go out, have much of the same "fun" as in previous years...fun does not mean drinking, hanging out in places where one would likely find trouble...I am here to retire from active engagement, and enjoy daytime walks, occasional beach time and eating Thai with ease...

Seems to me there is just more reporting/social media attention. I believe in the past the information was not made public, but now it cannot be suppressed when everyone has a smart phone or CCTV they can put online...

Well, you can believe as you wish SMCCOLLEY...there has been plenty posted in the media, social and otherwise, for many years...I have NEVER seen elderly farang being beaten so mercilessly. Never...It is un-Thai.

I will agree that there are many more CCTV outlets around which is a good thing in terms of catching the culprits...

I remember in the '80s watching a shoot-out between police and someone in a pickup...bullets flying everywhere. It seems with the machetee attack in Bangkok yesterday or the day before, the only way to stop some is to start shooting...not a good thing...

I have lived and worked in Thailand for most of the past 25 years and it seems to be more dangerous and violent that it was when I first came. There has always been crime, but years ago this was mostly in the form of scamming with little violence.

I lived on soi that was very mixed with foreigners and Thais. Most of the foreigners in the area were sort of back packer types or people who had moved to Thailand looking for work. There were very few problems in the area until after the 1997 economic collapse. The demeanor of the area went from a relatively safe, affordable (bordering on cheap) area, to being seedy and dangerous. There were a couple of stabbings and the warm Thai smile was largely absent.

In the early years that I was here, Thailand had a young demographic. There was the deference of youth to age and there was a lot of upward mobility. There was no minimum drinking age, but you did not see young people in bars or consuming alcohol. They simply didn't have that kind of money and what money they had went to other things -- and materialism was paramount, even then.

The 1997 was the start of the change and it happened as the demographic was starting to mature. A lot of people began to realize that there wasn't a lot of upward mobility and times were tough. The collapse of the baht was largely blamed on foreigners and this was the solidification of the view that foreigners are evil.

When the economic crash occurred there was also a psychological crash at the same time. This was followed by the start of the Yaa Baa epidemic. This was the first time that foreigners in my circle of friends and colleagues became the victims of violent crimes, this included such things as one being smashed in the head with a brick and his bag (with 20 baht and some papers) being stolen. Another was beaten and robbed by a group of young thugs. These were unprovoked attacks. There were others, but there was probably a certain amount of culpability on both sides.

Social media has put the spotlight on crime and there are more foreigners, but it seems that all around, there is more violent crime than in the past. The days of the 20-50-100 baht overcharge that everyone loved to complain about are just a nostalgic dream.

Scott I couldn't agree more.

'97 was difficult for many. I was fortunate at the time to be on dollars so it became a great time for me to purchase things. Pricing didn't change right away so many items were very cheap, like the motorcycle I bought.

Yaba, like most place that it surfaces, became a horrible drug to deal with. In the US, it is speed, meth, and moved and made by motorcycle gangs like the Hell's Angels. Horrible, destructive tool of those who wish to get people to do most anything to keep it in their system.

With older and older farang here, we appear to be more often a target, then before. I am still comfortable with my choice to live here, but keep my eyes and ears alert.

An increase in crime on foreigners definitely yes, but that's a symptom, not the real disease. What's really taken place is simply a "wave" of bad attitude toward foreigners. And that's neither a coincidence nor something that can be addressed with simple-minded crackdowns, grand-sounding public statements, or shows of stepped-up law enforcement. I don't think "racism" is quite the right word; officially driven xenophobia is a better one. That said, foreigners arriving with their western nanny-state entitlement mentalities don't help matters. 'Never seen so many dimwits with such exaggerated notions of what their "rights" in Thailand are.

Hawker 9000

I suspect there are some, a few young unemployed, who have an anti-foreigner mentality...who could blame them.

It seems strange that some foreigners walk about the streets of Pattaya late at night and are surprised when their gold is ripped off their necks...but this is happening to Thais as well...most recently the Thai security guy from Dusit who had 200baht taken and then beaten because he didn't have more...

This kind of theft violence is really quite different from the three separate cases in recent days of extreme violence toward normally exempt people such as the elderly.

The attacks are also quite violent against Thais who usually are accorded some level of respect or sympathy for their disabilities. The level of anger and willingness to use machetes and guns is new.

The round ups of young street racers in Bangkok, the campaign to expel foreigner overstayers (legitimate) perhaps provides some support for anti foreign or weak individuals...

What is CLEAR is that the level of brutality is quite alarming...watching that elderly grandma get punched down and THEN fiercely kicked unconscious was shocking to say the least...

Nothing like a global economic downturn (disaster) to lift your crime rate. The world is in a sorry state indeed. Who could expect Thailand to be immune given the debt stress most of the country is experiencing.

How about this for a 'stat'

New Zealand - Population 4.5 Mil +-. New figures, released by New Zealand Police today, show officers attended a family violence incident somewhere in the country once every five and a half minutes last year.

They attended, on average, 279 calls for help every day and about 105,000 domestic violence incidents overall.

The statistics are frightening, but they don’t even include the number of assaults that go unreported. Police estimate that if every family violence situation was reported in 2015 they would have attended 525,000 calls for help!

I concur with a lot of other comments- social media is highlighting what was previously denied or swept under the carpet.

The start of a soft revolution by those fed up with the status quo. One can only extract the urine for so long before there is a backlash .