Electric Running costs on New v Old

ignis

Thinking about upgrading some more items......... have not really any idea on running costs and if new is better.. + there are members on here that know these sort of things so asking.

Air con in main living room is 18 BTU is a Panasonic and had fitted when the house was built in April 2004, still works perfect, but would a new Panasonic Inventor 18 BTU be a lot cheaper to run ?

Likewise with the main TV Panasonic 42" Plasma many years old [ in there day cost over 50,000 baht !] would a new 50" LED smart Panasonic be a lot cheaper to run ? [the old Plasma could go upstairs and replace the 22 year old Panasonic TV up there, very little used anyway]

the main problem is the Plasma TV always appear to give off a lot of heat, my 32" LED TV used only as my PC monitor gives off no heat.

Sorry not at all interested in other main Brand - Samsung, LG or Sony.. but have No idea about TOSHIBA ?

What are the watt ratings on the devices you're looking to replace?

Replacing the AC with a modern unit using R-32 gas will surely save money on your electricity bill, but how long it will take to recover the changeover cost is variable. If you're a heavy user, then for sure, maybe only 1-2 years before you're moving ahead overall. If you're a light AC user it might not make as much sense though.

While plasma's do use more electricity than LED backlit screens, again it all depends on your usage and the cost of changeover. Most TV's typically only draw around 50% of the wattage rating on the label, because the screen isn't always full white, and the volume isn't always max.

Edited by IMHO

Seems I routinely see properly sized inverter A/Cs advertised as savings around 30% electricity over an equal sized standard (fixed speed) A/C. Maybe use that 30% savings figure to crank into your cost recovery analysis.

As already mentioned many variables involved in how much each person will possibly save and how long it takes to recover the initial buy cost. Another consideration is inverter A/Cs don't seem to be any more reliable than standard A/Cs but A/Cs cost more to repair due to electronic parts cost (more complicated/pricey electronics invovled with an inverter A/C than a standard A/C).

Also, if the inverter A/C is undersized you won't save penny in electricity cost because the inverter's compressor will always be running at full speed/using max electricity...operating pretty much just like a standard A/C.

But yea, if it's time to replace your standard A/C for whatever reason and you use an A/C a good amount, going with an inverter A/C should be the way to go. Seems it's much easier to forget the larger initial outlay compared to a monthly reminder in your electric bill.

I have replaced 2 old AC units (12+ years old) in the past 6 months. The main unit in my living room was undersized, so the new one is properly sized and has 50% more capacity. The other unit in my bedroom was replaced with a unit of the same size.

Both new units are Daikin and are inverter type. My electric bill has been running about 40% less than before. Only about 30% less for April. :-P

As for your TV, yes, plasmas do give off a lot of heat compared to LED.

Look for Samsung's new "SUHD Quantum Dot Display".

Superior color and brightness with lower power consumption.

Yes, very good TV. I bought one last year. I was in Power Buy, just looking, when the salesman came up and starting talking about a 'promotion'. Impulse buy, but I got 1/3 off on a current model, a 65" Series 8 SUHD TV. Very pleased with it.

Oh, I had already done my homework on the features offered and what I wanted, as I was in the market for a new TV anyway.