Can I make a 'dummy' flight reservation with a travel agent in Thailand for visa purposes?

I'm going to attempt the rather daunting task of applying for a visa to Ireland for my Thai girlfriend soon. Instead of being lazy and forking out a crapload of money to pay a company to apply for the visa, I'll be doing it all myself. The first problem I'm seeing is this stipulation that the immigration department in my country wants to see a flight itinerary. I'm asking if it is possible to go into a travel agent in Chiang Mai and ask them to make a reservation for my girlfriend between Bangkok and Dublin? I don't particularly want to fork out loads of money on a refundable flight. Ideally, I'll make a dummy reservation with a travel agent and then buy a cheap return ticket with the same dates closer to the time of her visit. Is the feasible?

???

She wants a visa to Ireland and needs some return flight booking to show.

To the OP: is it definitely req. to have a booking before having the visa?

Seems for UK it is not required?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713448-return-flight-reservation-required-as-supporting-document-for-uk-visit-visa-application/

Edited by KhunBENQ

???

She wants a visa to Ireland and needs some return flight booking to show.

To the OP: is it definitely req. to have a booking before having the visa?

Seems for UK it is not required?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713448-return-flight-reservation-required-as-supporting-document-for-uk-visit-visa-application/

Thanks for your reply. yeah for Ireland it's outlined by immigration that proof of return flights is needed. I've read on the net that you can walk into a travel agent in Thailand and they will make a booking for 300THB, but I don't know how true it is.

I am not sure a paid for ticket is needed reading the following from this webpage. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Visit%20Tourist

To me a booking means a reservation, I suggest you contact them to confirm what is needed.

Accommodation and travel details

Details of your accommodation and travel details, for example:

• hotel/guesthouse/hostel booking confirmation (may be by email)
  • travel booking confirmation (may be by e-mail),
  • travel agent confirmation (may be by e-mail),
  • accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant confirming that you are able to stay with them.

A planned itinerary, if you have one, which may include:

• bookings or tickets for any excursions or trips,
  • email conversations about any excursions or trips,
  • travel agent bookings.

I am not sure a paid for ticket is needed reading the following from this webpage. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Visit%20Tourist

To me a booking means a reservation, I suggest you contact them to confirm what is needed.

• accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant confirming that you are able to stay with them.

• travel agent bookings.

Yes, a reservation is what I am looking for. It is not easy to make a flight reservation without paying for it - most airlines require payment up front. And for those that don't, they will usually only offer reservations on refundable tickets, which are a lot more expensive. I've heard travel agents in Thailand can make 'dummy' flight reservations for people who need to show them for visa purposes.

• travel agent bookings.

Yes, a reservation is what I am looking for. It is not easy to make a flight reservation without paying for it - most airlines require payment up front. And for those that don't, they will usually only offer reservations on refundable tickets, which are a lot more expensive. I've heard travel agents in Thailand can make 'dummy' flight reservations for people who need to show them for visa purposes.

It does mention travel agent confirmation. I think that is what you can get for a fee.

Perhaps somebody will come along that has applied for a visa before.

When my beloved late wife needed a return flight reservation she simply rang the China Airliness office in BKK, they sent her a free reservation that would expire in a week or so. The reservation was valid on the day the application was submitted and was all fine. We actually got the ticket after her first visa was issued but could easily let it have expired, chosing an other date or airliner instead (ofcourse taking the start and end date of the visa in mind).

Now an Irish visa will be different when it comes down to the details but I can't see why a free, self expering reservation wouldn't work for you. Or if no airliner can help you out for free or a small fee, just let your girl contact a travel agency for a reservation.

many airlines you can buy tickets that fully refundable for a smallish fee.

even if a segment used the return part also refundable, although then it costs more, on the other hand not all lost money.

for refund in mind, remember buying the cheapest tickets comes with the most restriction when wanting a refund, also the most deduction for penalty.

4. How long it will take

You are advised not to purchase travel tickets before you know the outcome of your visa application.

Don't buy any ticket before the visa has been approved.

Just make a reservation -any travel-agent will make it for you - 200-300 baht, or maybe even free of charge.

After approval you can search for cheap tickets. And you can put the reservation in the bin.