Minimising time wasted hanging around at Chaengwattana

This from Bangkok immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

"Attention

Immigration Division 1 would like to announce the change of the Queue Cards’ timing at Government Complex branch from: 08.30–16.30hrs to 08.30–15.30hrs starting 1st September 2015.
Our service will be provided at normal office hours from 08.30–16.30hrs or until the last queue."

The last line states what I have seen many reports about. They keep work working until the last number is served.

This from Bangkok immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

"Attention

Immigration Division 1 would like to announce the change of the Queue Cards’ timing at Government Complex branch from: 08.30–16.30hrs to 08.30–15.30hrs starting 1st September 2015.

Our service will be provided at normal office hours from 08.30–16.30hrs or until the last queue."

The last line states what I have seen many reports about. They keep work working until the last number is served.

So if I had waited that day (with 107 people in front of me) I would have been served.. at 21:00?

I was thinking the "or until the last queue" means that they may close any time between 15:30 and 16:30 if there are no more people in the queue. It does not explicitly state that they will keep working past 16:30 (even though they may do so voluntarily).

Before giving up and leaving I even saw a woman collect a ticket with number 171. I guess she would have been served at around 22:00 if they really are committed to stay until everyone with a queue ticket is served that day.

Edited by hyperdimension

Are there Visa Services people who can do this for you, so you do not even need to go?

There are plenty of services...the last time I went to CW (January 2016), the services would jump the cues with STACKS of passports and STACKS of cash...everyone who followed rules just sat passively as the bribes were counted and visas issued to absentee applicants...all under the gaze of CCTV...again and again...I just lose respect for the letter of the law here...

"Attention

So if I had waited that day (with 107 people in front of me) I would have been served.. at 21:00?

I think the "or until the last queue" means that they may close any time between 15:30 and 16:30 if there are no more people in the queue.

Before giving up and leaving I even saw a woman collect a ticket with number 171. I guess she would have been served at around 22:00 if they really are committed to stay until everyone with a queue ticket is served that day.

You would of been served but I doubt it would of been at 21:00. I have seen reports of people being there as late as 19:00. Things speed up after closing time. I think officers that are not busy help the others that are.

• Like 1

You would of been served but I doubt it would of been at 21:00. I have seen reports of people being there as late as 19:00. Things speed up after closing time. I think officers that are not busy help the others that are.

OK thanks ubonjoe. It certainly helps to know that they would stay up to at least 19:00 and that they probably do commit to clearing the entire queue of the day.

I wish their queue system was accessible over the internet so that the numbers called and latest number issued could be seen by anyone accessing a web page or app without needing to be physically in the room. e.g. You could be in the city and are thinking of visiting immigration to apply for the extension. If you can see that the queue has over 100 people waiting at that time you may decide to try tomorrow instead so that you wouldn't have to stay at immigration so late that evening or night (during which you may have had other plans that you would have to cancel).

Alternatively, a reservation system with fixed times could be better as it would remove a lot of uncertainty for both sides.

To minimize time at Chaengwattana, I use a five year Thailandelite visa and fly out of the country before any 90 day reports are due.

In the old days, I would always arrive before opening time to minimize wait time.

Are there Visa Services people who can do this for you, so you do not even need to go?

There are plenty of services...the last time I went to CW (January 2016), the services would jump the cues with STACKS of passports and STACKS of cash

Name one. I suspect that the people you are seeing are not visa agents, but employees of schools and the like that deal with their employees in bulk. Searching the Internet reveals absolutely zero agents working at Chaengwattana.

Actually, it’s Im-pos-si-ble NOT to see these agents doing their dance routine unless you’re determined to keep your eyes shut. Last year was my first extension so I went in on full alert. I arrived late morning, got a high queue number with over a hundred people in front of me so I just did a wait and see without much hope of having anything accomplished. The morning part was most interesting because it was the time of day when the agents came in to do business. Yes, I saw stacks of passports, stacks of cash, the agents keeping their ducks I mean clients in line and coralling them 5, 6 at a time into the officer’s cubicle. While all this was going on the queue counter was ticking away as the saying goes, "at the speed of molasses..."

After lunch, I showed the officer at the front counter my number and asked what my chances were, he said don’t worry, you’ll be called before the day ends. True enough, it was the second act of the play. The numbers jumped at an alarming pace. So much so there were even time to spare for a “workout” break for the all lady gang of officers. Suddenly you hear hollering from one end of the hall to the other, they kicked off their pumps, all changed into striped jogging outfits and trotted out of the office in almost a chorus line… No I wasn’t hallucinating. And yes, I got the extension – but missed out the re-entry bit. Exit time a few minutes before 5.

This year, my second extension. Same time arrival, saw only a few agents with individual cases.The routine goes like this: a farang-thai couple came in, empty handed meaning no queue number no documents whatsoever, waited for a short while until their man showed up. Greetings all around, a few words of assurance, then the agent went into the officer’s cubicle to “Respectfully” hand in the client’s dossier that he had pulled out from his briefcase. He then came out, repositioned the couple so that they were seating in full sight of the officer. The latter, while still busy with another client, threw a quick glance at the new one, I guess for verification with the dossier just handed to her. After she was done with the previous client, then the trio was called in – those of us with queue numbers in hand could wait, and watch. A few minutes later, they came out, shook hands with each other, all smiled thank you and good bye. That was it, the whole episode lasted no more than 20 minutes. Curiously I didn’t see any ducks-in-a-row case this time (I guess there're duck-days and none-duck days). Anyway, when my turn came, I practiced a bit of the Thai “move” picked up from my observation of the agent, my process went "flushingly" well. In the end, not only I got my 100baht change back (which I didn’t last time), but my newly extended passport was returned with a smile and a chokdee no less@ (And plenty of time left to do the re-entry number.)

Just an observation, after reading this thread and seeing so many “but why-oh-whys” I was reminded of a funny (to me) episode at my neighborhood swimming pool. It has two pools, one adult one kiddie. On Mondays the adult one is closed for cleaning so young and old all have to share the kiddie pool (which still gives a good lap workout). One Monday a new farang face showed up, he couldn’t find his way around the locker/showers area so I had to give him directions. When I came out to the deck I found him all puffing, dripping wet even though he had yet to jump into the pool. And red-faced: “This is totally ridiculous!!! Why didn’t they make a separate walkway so we don’t have to go through the reception area all dripping like this?”

Like they say when in Rome....wai2.gif

Well, did the deed today. Arrived at 13:15 and was out by 16:30. 77 people in the queue ahead of me on arrival. 5 desks working. A bit over three hours is way better than I've experienced with the previous two extensions. Given the way that there were far fewer people queuing on seats by 15:30 - I'd estimate around 30 - I now suspect that arriving just before 15:30 is a good strategy. Will try it next year.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just got back from Chaengwattana immigration in Bangkok, where I renewed my extension of stay for reason of retirement (today is Wednesday, so mid-week) so I thought I would add my experiences to this thread.  This year I tried going early-ish in the morning. I arrived at 7:45 and there was a very long queue wrapped around the central chairs. When the doors opened, the first part of the queue went in in an orderly fashion but by the time I got to the door, I noticed that there were a lot of people jumping into the queue next to me (which did annoy me). Nonetheless, I got #26. I was called at 9:50 and my paperwork was finished by 10. I got my passport back at 10:40. So the total time at immigration was about 3 hours.  Last year, I went on a Friday during a week that had three public holidays (Monday - Wednesday) because I had no choice - I had to renew my extension of stay. I arrived at 10 am and got #115. They were serving #44 at that time (so moving through the queue faster last year than this year). It took me until about 3:30-4:00 to finish.  So total time spent at Immigration was 5.5-6 hours.  I haven't tried coming after lunch or even later in the day - my understanding is that they stop giving numbers at 3:30 and serve everyone who has a number that day. Anyway, my experience today, coming early, was much faster, than coming mid-morning like I did last year. I am not sure that coming much earlier than I did would make too much difference because you have to wait longer for them to open the doors (plus you have to get up earlier). Cheers!