Minimising time wasted hanging around at Chaengwattana

My last two annual extensions of stay (retirement) have taken 5 and 6 hours respectively (including lunch break). That's a lot of hanging around for just a few minutes of action. I already avoid Mondays & Fridays and days close to national holidays. With my next extension coming up, what's my best strategy to keep the wait to a minimum?

Option 1: Arrive before the doors open in the morning. How early would I have to arrive to get out by, say, 10:30 a.m.?

Option 2: I've read that lots of people give up over the lunch break, so arriving just after lunch is allegedly a good time with the queue moving faster.

Option 3: Arrive just before they stop issuing tickets at 3:30 p.m.. I can't imagine they'd work a further 4 or 5 hours after that time. Or do they stop issuing tickets if there's a long backlog and I might get turned away?

Any other options? (For example, are there agents who can help you queue jump?) What's the best strategy?

I normally arrive at about 0830 (just as entry is allowed) and normally am through by 1030 or before - there is a long line when door opens but many have to stop to do paperwork so if you are prepared and go directly to queue counters will likely be within first 20-30 and queue normally moves fairly quickly - although last year they started additional wait to return passport after the normal interview/officer sign process.

• Like 2

My last half dozen retirement extension of stays of CW have taken around 2 hours and that includes me going to the bank in the building to get my bank letter saying I have Bt800K in the bank. I first go to the bank which also opens a 8:30am....usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get the letter....then I go up to immigration to get my queue number...and I'm usually out the door with new extension in hand by around 10:30am.

One year I decided to first get my queue ticket from immigration, then go downstairs to the bank and get the letter, then back to immigration. But my immigration queue number was so low since I had been near the front of the queue line by the time I got back from the bank when it took them about 25 minutes that year due to other farangs ahead of me getting their letter by the time I got back up to immigration my number had already been called. I had to go get another queue number...that year I didn't finish to around 11:15am.

If I had been further back in the immigration queue line it would have worked out better/faster....but trying to guess how early to arrive so you can get a certain position in the queue line waiting for the doors to open would be a guessing game. Say I was halfway back in the line but few people ahead of me were there for long stay extension...or the maybe other way in that almost everyone ahead of me was there for the long stay section.

But anyway, it usually takes me around 2 hours to include getting the bank letter by standing at the bank doors at 8:30am...get the letter...then up to immigration. Then after my queue number is called it's usually 10 minutes with a immigration officer, then maybe another 5 minutes waiting for one or two other officers to initial off on what the first immigration officer approve, then I'm done...good for another year.

My last half dozen retirement extension of stays of CW have taken around 2 hours and that includes me going to the bank in the building to get my bank letter saying I have Bt800K in the bank. I first go to the bank which also opens a 8:30am....usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get the letter....then I go up to immigration to get my queue number...and I'm usually out the door with new extension in hand by around 10:30am.

This really is so very different from my recent experience. The one time I tried to get a letter from Bangkok Bank same day before going upstairs to Immigration I was told that they couldn't produce the letter before 9:15 because of their computer system. I eventually got the letter around 9:30. I finally left Immigration around 3:30 p.m. sweaty from the pathetic air-con they have and with a sore behind from the rather hard seating.

And that Bangkok Bank branch is the one I've always used....I've always been at their doors at the 8:30am opening time....out by 8:45am or earlier.

Now this year I will be using the Krungsri Branch right next to the Bangkok Bank branch as I closed my fixed account with that Bangkok Bank branch simply because they didn't have any fixed saving deposit that interested me when my current fixed deposit matured. So I went next door to the Krungsri Branch and opened a Mee Tae Dai account....the Krungsri branch was super nice in opening an account and even joked about the two extra FATCA related forms (but easy forms) I needed to complete since I'm a U.S. person.

But my dealings with that Bangkok Bank branch over the years were excellent....very customer oriented to include the senior management in the branch who spoke fairly good English...I would normally only visit the branch 1 to 3 times a year...1 time for the bank letter...and 1 or 2 times to roll over my matured fixed account into another fixed account.

I just hope the Krungsri Bank branch issues the letter as fast as the Bangkok Bank branch did over the years. Will find out come late July/early Sep.

For the last five years, I have always arrived just before the lunch re-opening at 1pm. I always have my forms and copies in hand and until this year, was always finished with the retirement extension renewal by 2;30. This year, (March) for some reason things went exceptionally slowly and I did not finish the extension until 4pm. I noticed that the Information Desk that gives queue numbers had closed at 3:30.

Normally, once you have been given a queue number and your papers are in order, they will finish your application before the close of business. I have noticed that things start moving along VERY rapidly after 3:30pm

Edited by dddave

I renewed my extension on 31 March. I opted out of the 'school bus' which arrived at 9am & opted to go early, on the motorbike, myself. I joined the rather small queue at 7.30 which at that time was only once round the room. By 8.30 lots of people had tried to push in & after we entered, they opened up new counters & took blocks of people from behind me to queue at the new counter.

Long story short, I had a brand spanking new extension @11.30 while my bus load of colleagues received theirs @15.30

My habit has been to arrive between 10:30 and 11:00, get my queue number and head downstairs for coffee and lunch. Some people apparently don't wait until after lunch so the queue can move pretty quickly after lunch when the queue numbers jump forward over the missing numbers. I haven't found the movement of my application to move forward through the second and third desks as rapidly as some other posters. Usually, after my application is accepted by the first agent, it takes 30-40 minutes more to clear the other desks. Some posters have suggested going in just after lunch at 1:00. That doesn't work for me because I need to get a re-entry permit after I receive my extension. Usually I am able to get the extension and re-entry permit and walk out of the door around 3:45. If you leave Chaeng Wattana much after 4:00 you may have difficulty getting a taxi. If you choose to get your re-entry permit at an airport, you can save some time at Chaeng Wattana. Good luck!

f you choose to get your re-entry permit at an airport, you can save some time at Chaeng Wattana. Good luck!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, things went slowly renewing my retirement extension so I was unable to do my Multi entry Re-Entry permit same day. I was resigned to returning to CW when a friend mentioned that multiple entry Re-Entry Permits were available at the airport. I had thought only single re-entry's were available there.

I just waited for my next flight out and did it at Suvarnabhumi. Took about 15 minutes all in whereas at CW, it would always take more than an hour, sometimes two.

- If you arrive at 8.30 you are already too late since the queue is already 50 meters long. People start camping outside the door from 7am.

When I say people I mean mostly maids since now many send them to queue in their place from 7am to then arrive at 8.30.all fresh when you have been already queuing for an hour.

-Same for visa, doing everything yourself you will soon realize that you are surrounded by agencies employees who come there everyday and obviously have passes with immigration officers; they also apply each several clients files at once so it takes ages.

It would be fairer to have separate queues for professionals and agencies instead of seeing them jump queues in front of you, but fair does not seem to be a priority there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just written a bit about my experience at Chaeng Watthana a few days ago:

I was there on the same day (2016-05-12) for a non-immigrant O extension of stay application and got a queue ticket at around 14:00. My number was in the 150s and the numbers being served at that time was in the 50s. I hanged around for around an hour to see the rate and it was slow, like 15 per hour. I gave up when I calculated that it would be almost impossible to be served that day, as it closes at 16:30.

It seems a little strange that they give out such high numbers so late in the day, but I think the numbers actually continue on to the next morning. Can anyone confirm? I didn't go the next morning so am not sure.

Has anyone experienced the queue number continuation to next morning?

Like the OP I have had my fair share of waiting over the years getting extensions and it is irritating and sometimes uncomfortable. I accept it readily though as I receive a whole year of benefit. Seems to me that a few hours for a year is a good investment. How many people complain about waiting at Immigration but will waste four or five hours a day sitting at a bar with very little actual benefit? It is a matter of perspective.

• Like 2

Are there Visa Services people who can do this for you, so you do not even need to go?

Extensions need to be done in person

There ARE agencies that do everything for you. My wife and I did so less than two months ago. For the first time my wife suggested we use an Agent. It costs, but comparing it with ten years of doing it ourselves I was amazed at the result. We had only to go to Immigration together to have our photos taken and to pick up our passports.

We found an excellent Agent - Chiang Mai - who was thoroughly professional and proficient and I am happy to recommend him if you would like me to. He is actually an ex-Immigration Officer at Chiang Mai.

Neither my wife or I spoke a single word to Immigration Officers (and they didn't say anything to us) and the process for us was less than 30 minutes.

I think it is impossible these days to avoid going to Immigration in person. But you certainly don't need to go there to apply if using an Agent.

Edited by ChrisKC
  • Like 1

You paid for avoiding queue wait (understandable in Chiang Mai) but you still had to appear. It is the same process doing yourself without any extra payment but you may have to sit at desk 5-10 minutes to check paperwork and sign a couple forms.

You paid for avoiding queue wait (understandable in Chiang Mai) but you still had to appear. It is the same process doing yourself without any extra payment but you may have to sit at desk 5-10 minutes to check paperwork and sign a couple forms.

Yes, I know I had to appear and I make that clear in my post. The OP question asked only of the concept of having to go in person so my post answers that he doesn't have to go to make his application but DOES for the final bit.

Its not only about paying for not queuing. The Agent ensures that all the required paperwork according to what is the current situation at the Office you will apply to is absolutely correct, thus avoiding the possibility of the application being delayed or even unsuccessful. Because we used a recommended Agent, someone who really knows his up-to-date stuff, including his excellent English, we suffered no hassle of any kind.

For those who are not fond of waiting or dealing with Immigration direct, a good Agent will relieve you of that and of course some cash.

This is another aspect of using an Agent: His delivery of the application is in Thai style, in Thai language; the job for the Officer is therefore easier and probably quicker. This has the benefit of processing the application in less time and goes a little way in lessening the queuing time for others.

Edited by ChrisKC
  • Like 1

Yes, I know I had to appear and I make that clear in my post. The OP question asked only of the concept of having to go in person so my post answers that he doesn't have to go to make his application but DOES for the final bit.

Its not only about paying for not queuing. The Agent ensures that all the required paperwork according to what is the current situation at the Office you will apply to is absolutely correct, thus avoiding the possibility of the application being delayed or even unsuccessful. Because we used a recommended Agent, someone who really knows his up-to-date stuff, including his excellent English, we suffered no hassle of any kind.

For those who are not fond of waiting or dealing with Immigration direct, a good Agent will relieve you of that and of course some cash.

This is another aspect of using an Agent: His delivery of the application is in Thai style, in Thai language; the job for the Officer is therefore easier and probably quicker. This has the benefit of processing the application in less time and goes a little way in lessening the queuing time for others.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, such agents don't exist for Chaengwattana. I'd very happily spend a decent sum not to have to hang around for 7 or 8 hours. It's a real pity they abandoned the appointment system back in 2011 after only a few weeks.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, such agents don't exist for Chaengwattana. I'd very happily spend a decent sum not to have to hang around for 7 or 8 hours. It's a real pity they abandoned the appointment system back in 2011 after only a few weeks.

I sympathise with your situation and can only suggest you ask around, even at your Immigration Office. If you have visited the Office often, you should detect Agents - they are the ones looking purposeful, talking with Officers and seeming to know what they are doing.

I also sympathise with those who have to drive a long way, maybe with the whole family in tow, as well as waiting time at the Office.

Ask on this forum. What you believe didn't exist yesterday may exist today.

It is easy to be cynical about Agents but there aren't many trades in which there are no "Middlemen". A good one will facilitate the "deal" between two parties. Their place in Society is assured for ever.

Are there Visa Services people who can do this for you, so you do not even need to go?

------------------------------

Not quite the same thing as OP originally stated. but......

Got my 30 day extension on 13 May....a Friday....

First went downstairs to get photos made and required copies from passport.

Stopped for coffee and donuts, then updtairs to get my queue number

Arrived at CW at 9:15 on their clock.....extension done and left by taxi at 10:30 on my watch.

This is 'wasrting time"?

ubonjoe replied to my question in the other thread:

It seems a little strange that they give out such high numbers so late in the day, but I think the numbers actually continue on to the next morning. Can anyone confirm? I didn't go the next morning so am not sure.

They stop issuing numbers at 15:30 and keep working until all numbers are called and all applications completed or rejected. They don't carry over numbers to the next day.

I actually saw signs on the counter that said that they have changed the queue system. It wasn't totally clear, but I think it said everyone must leave at 16:30. I also asked the officer who had handed the queue ticket to me whether the queue numbers continue to the next morning and she said yes. If it didn't, then why did she hand me a ticket at 13:23 that clearly shows that there are over a hundred people in front? Surely she would know that it would be impossible for me to be served that day.

So if there is anyone who has been there recently, can you confirm that the queue numbers continue to the next day?

Edited by hyperdimension

Here is the queue ticket that shows that there were 107 people in front of me.

The rate of people being served was around 10 to 15 per hour.

What's going on with this?

post-45505-0-87750600-1463373797_thumb.j

At the time of issuance I was not told to come back the next day. So if I didn't think about it much, I would have wasted another 3h sitting / standing around (it was quite full) without any result at the end of the day, as the sign said that everyone must leave at 16:30.

Edited by hyperdimension

- If you arrive at 8.30 you are already too late since the queue is already 50 meters long. People start camping outside the door from 7am.

When I say people I mean mostly maids since now many send them to queue in their place from 7am to then arrive at 8.30.all fresh when you have been already queuing for an hour.

-Same for visa, doing everything yourself you will soon realize that you are surrounded by agencies employees who come there everyday and obviously have passes with immigration officers; they also apply each several clients files at once so it takes ages.

It would be fairer to have separate queues for professionals and agencies instead of seeing them jump queues in front of you, but fair does not seem to be a priority there.

It used to be like that at Suan Phlu many years ago but the car park there was tiny.

The agencies staff used to shove their way to the front every time.

Fortunately now I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and have to drive 125km each way, Even so if I arrive around 10 am I am usually out by 11.30. I take my Ebook reader with me and there is always free tea, coffee, cold water and sweets provided by the Immigration staff.

The front office staff are all ladies, they are farang friendly and always very helpful.

A 90 day report is usually done in a couple of minutes and rarely more than 10 minutes.

Edited by billd766

My second extenion was only last month 1st week of April (Exp:28Apr)

Not a great time to do extenions just before Songran but anyway I was lucky this time.?

Now I have a scanner/printer and my immigration forms are pre written on laptop so writing out forms by hand I don't have to do,apart from signing.

I simply update and print.?

(Same with reentry permits and 90day reports) 90 day reports always post.

Saves so much time.

Anyway....

Day before collected statement & letter from bank(I was lucky to see the same girl at my bank as last year so she knows my routine)?

Arrive Chaeng Wattana 6:45 yes and already 15 pieces eg. bags,shoes,books,Pens to make their spot in the line.Now I looked at the line and guessed about 20 retirees then put my bag in the line. Reason: allowing time/queue numbers to have enough time to run to bank open 0830 deposit 100 baht then run to photocopy pages of bank book then back.

My number was 18 when I got back 20 was called ? So I went in and of course they said go get another ticket so I wai and apologise in Thai, look sad? and the nice lady said "ok just this time"

I also forgot to photocopy Bank a/c name page so I had to run to photocopy girls again. Gave the page to immigration lady (that I signed while I was at the photocopiers) Always remember to sign all photocopy pages!

Anyway to cut a long story short in 5 minutes after arriving back my name was called and I was out @0925 maybe

I would have made it back from bank in time if the bank wasn't so busy.Thais are very slow in banks.?

Edited by LindsayBKK

I actually saw signs on the counter that said that they have changed the queue system. It wasn't totally clear, but I think it said everyone must leave at 16:30.

If this is true, I find it very disturbing. Can anyone confirm which of the following is true, please: (1) they continue to serve all people who got tickets before 15:30 on the same day, (2) they kick everyone out at 16:30, despite having a ticket, and (3) they kick everyone out but they are at the front of the queue the next day based upon the previous day's ticket.

I actually saw signs on the counter that said that they have changed the queue system. It wasn't totally clear, but I think it said everyone must leave at 16:30.

If this is true, I find it very disturbing. Can anyone confirm which of the following is true, please: (1) they continue to serve all people who got tickets before 15:30 on the same day, (2) they kick everyone out at 16:30, despite having a ticket, and (3) they kick everyone out but they are at the front of the queue the next day based upon the previous day's ticket.

I cannot confirm any of your 3 possibilities but a previous year (can't remember which year exactly) I left CW at 17:00 after a very long wait. I wasn't the last one either.

The doors were closed at 16:30 but anyone with a queue ticket could continue waiting inside.

Having said that the 'system' could easily have changed since my late process.

I cannot confirm any of your 3 possibilities but a previous year (can't remember which year exactly) I left CW at 17:00 after a very long wait. I wasn't the last one either.

The doors were closed at 16:30 but anyone with a queue ticket could continue waiting inside.

Having said that the 'system' could easily have changed since my late process.

That is / was the old system that I think most of us are already familiar with.

The signs that I saw on the counters (where they issue the queue ticket) a few days ago was the first time I'd had seen them.