Cancelling work permit, border run, returning with tourist visa

I will be quitting my current job in Thailand soon, and my employers seem to not even want to give me a few days before they cancel my work permit (I gave the required notice). I will try to convince them to. I want to do a Laos visa run the same day my work permit is cancelled. I know I have to leave Thailand within 24 hours after it's cancelled, and don't want to spend 1900 baht getting the 7 day extension, when I want to go to Laos to get a Thai tourist visa right away anyway.

Is it likely that a Single Entry 60-day Thai tourist visa will be granted? I can't imagine why not but, I'm considering coming back to Thailand for the month of July and I would like to make sure that I can go to Laos for the tourist visa and come back. Is it common to return on a tourist visa after cancelling your non-B & work permit? Coming back and getting the visa exempt stamp, then extending that for another 30 days, is also an option I guess but it doesn't seem as certain as the 60-day visa.

• You should have no problem getting a SETV from Laos or re-entering using visa exempt entry. If you're returning by land the visa exempt entry stay will be 30 days if your from a G7 country otherwise it will be 15.

Having a visa is the best option. If entering using visa exemption you are more likely to get questioned about your what you do in Thailand.

• Like 1

You will need a termination letter from your employer so they can cancel your extension of stay or you will be turned away at the crossings in Nong Khai or Mukdahan. The date of termination must be on or after the date you leave.

You can cancel your extension at immigration by going a few days before your termination date and they will post date the cancellation to that date.

• Like 2

elviajero - Thank you for the info. I'm glad it won't be a problem to get a tourist visa and come back. I'm from the US so I could get a 30 day visa exemption, but I think you're right about a tourist visa being more convenient.

overherebc - Yes, I have to check in every 90 days.

I just hope my bosses will allow me a few extra days so that the date of cancellation will line up with a trip to Laos, because I don't want to pay 1900 baht for a 7-day extension.

ubonjoe - I'm confused. I think my work visa and work permit were going to be cancelled by my employer and I need to leave the country within 24 hours. If it's already cancelled and I'm leaving within that timeframe, do I still need a letter? I thought when the visa was cancelled that cancels my extension of stay. Also what if I do have to pay for the 7-day extension, after my visa & work permit have been cancelled? I wouldn't need a letter then either, right? Because I'm on that 7-day extension, not my work visa anymore, which is cancelled.

ubonjoe - I'm confused. I think my work visa and work permit were going to be cancelled by my employer and I need to leave the country within 24 hours. If it's already cancelled and I'm leaving within that timeframe, do I still need a letter? I thought when the visa was cancelled that cancels my extension of stay. Also what if I do have to pay for the 7-day extension, after my visa & work permit have been cancelled? I wouldn't need a letter then either, right? Because I'm on that 7-day extension, not my work visa anymore, which is cancelled.

Cancelling the work permit does not automatically cancel your extension. You have to go to an immigration office to cancel the extension and you need a termination letter to do that.

If you do what I wrote about before you would not need the 7 day extension.

Also their is not 24 hours. You have to leave the country on the same day your extension is canceled or apply for the 7 day extension.

ubonjoe - is it legal to fail to cancel your extension? Could you wait until convenient, and then exit by air (to Penang, say) to get an SETV?

Technically once a job ends or a work permit is cancelled/not renewed an extension of stay ceases to be valid.

ubonjoe - is it legal to fail to cancel your extension? Could you wait until convenient, and then exit by air (to Penang, say) to get an SETV?

An ex colleague wanted to go the easy way, she didn't pay tax, kept her visa and work permit a few more weeks ( both expired, because of cancellation from school's adviser.) \

When she wanted to fly out, the red flag went off and they really sent her back to Sisaket. ( 580 km) to cancel her wp, pay tax, etc. plus an overstay fine. But she also lost her flight back to India ( non refundable) and the idea saving a few baht turned into a nightmare.

Just saying.....wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

An ex colleague wanted to go the easy way, she didn't pay tax, kept her visa and work permit a few more weeks ( both expired, because of cancellation from school's adviser.) \

When she wanted to fly out, the red flag went off and they really sent her back to Sisaket. ( 580 km) to cancel her wp, pay tax, etc. plus an overstay fine. But she also lost her flight back to India ( non refundable) and the idea saving a few baht turned into a nightmare.

Just saying.....wai2.gif

Visas are not cancelled, only extensions of stay. People like you who use incorrect terminology just confuse other people.

Just saying.......

My taxes are withheld from my paycheck so I'm not sure what you mean about taxes. I might just get the 7-day extension before I go to Laos. It's another $55 down the drain but if it means less confusion, I guess I have to pay it.

Edited by someusername

There is no law that says it is illegal. Many people just fly out and back with a valid extension to cancel it.

The work permit can be canceled after the extension is canceled.

The best and most correct way is to the way I wrote earlier.

The border crossings that check for valid extensions based upon working are doing it to catch people that stopped working long before they are trying to leave the country and cannot get a termination letter from an angry ex employer or the employer will only date it to the date they stopped working (thus an overstay).

• Like 1

There is no law that says it is illegal. Many people just fly out and back with a valid extension to cancel it.

The border crossings that check for valid extensions based upon working are doing it to catch people that stopped working long before they are trying to leave the country and cannot get a termination letter from an angry ex employer or the employer will only date it to the date they stopped working (thus an overstay).

My contract and non-B all expired on the same day the 30th of March. I went to the local Labour Ministry and cancelled my work permit myself on the 24th of March not knowing that my non-B from that day would be void. When I arrived at Mukdahan I was 5 day overstay - I won't allow that to happen again! The paper that the Ministry gave me that stated my work permit had been cancelled sufficed to allow my departure from Thailand without a problem. I guess it is all about timing.facepalm.gif

My contract and non-B all expired on the same day the 30th of March. I went to the local Labour Ministry and cancelled my work permit myself on the 24th of March not knowing that my non-B from that day would be void. When I arrived at Mukdahan I was 5 day overstay - I won't allow that to happen again! The paper that the Ministry gave me that stated my work permit had been cancelled sufficed to allow my departure from Thailand without a problem. I guess it is all about timing.facepalm.gif

Did you actually have a valid non imm "B" visa(obtained from a Thai embassy/Consulate) or an extension of stay(which is not a visa) obtained from an immigration office.?

If you did have a valid visa I doubt there would have been any problem leaving.

The mistake you made was showing them that your work permit had been canceled. If you had a termination letter form your employer with the date of termination on or after the date you were leaving you would not of had a problem.

The mistake you made was showing them that your work permit had been canceled. If you had a termination letter form your employer with the date of termination on or after the date you were leaving you would not of had a problem.

Once your WP is cancelled it also cancels your Visa and you need to leave immediately unless you pay 1900 Baht for the 7 day extension.

Once your WP is cancelled it also cancels your Visa and you need to leave immediately unless you pay 1900 Baht for the 7 day extension.

Important clarification ...

If you have an extension of stay, based on possession of the work permit, this is invalid as soon as your work permit is canceled. However, if you have a Non B visa, this is not canceled.

If you have an extension of stay, based on possession of the work permit, this is invalid as soon as your work permit is canceled. However, if you have a Non B visa, this is not canceled.

Both of the quoted posts imply that the extension is automatically canceled when the work permit is canceled which is not true. There is no linking of the two since they are issued by different entities.

A work permit could be canceled after the extension. People tend to place to much urgency on canceling the work permit.

Both of the quoted posts imply that the extension is automatically canceled when the work permit is canceled which is not true. There is no linking of the two since they are issued by different entities.

A work permit could be canceled after the extension. People tend to place to much urgency on canceling the work permit.

Mine were cancelled together and I got the 7 day extension for 1900 baht. Then used an agent to facilitate a Retirement visa.

Mine were cancelled together and I got the 7 day extension for 1900 baht. Then used an agent to facilitate a Retirement visa.

Not sure how they were canceled together unless it was done at the one stop center. That is the only place where immigration and the labor ministry have personnel at the same office.

"I think my work visa and work permit were going to be cancelled by my employer'

If you were on a visa & visa entry the situation would be different, but you are (apparently) on an extension of stay, which is not a visa.

While i am not in this case you describe i would prefer not getting my employer involved

In this case is it possible to simply wait till the last day that both extension and work permit expire, apply for the 7 day extension on that day and subsequently leave for laos for a non o visa during those days?

1) Could immigration deny those 7 days?

2) Can mukdahan or nong khai immigration stop you from leaving if you try to exit thailand during those 7 days?

I am thinking the answer is no and no but would appreciate a confirmation thank you