When will I ever adjust to the climate?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweating is normal. It would be more of a concern if you were not sweating. Thais sweat, it's just not as profuse and hence visible.

Go for the lightest, loosest cotton fabrics you can buy.

Only use the aircon to aid sleeping. Switch to fans at every opportunity.

Blood is thicker in temperate and cold climates. It takes your body about six months for the blood to thin out to tropical levels.

No Blood isnt thicker or thinner in cold hot its a myth, altitude does have an effect though

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/health-care/professional-opinion-column/article33554922.html

Edited by kannot

Agree that you should avoid a/c. I just about never use it and find the shops and malls that run it are uncomfortably cold. A fan that keeps the air moving around you should be sufficient.

Wear cotton, etc. Synthetic fabrics trap the heat.

BUT it's always possible you have some low-grade infection or an inflammatory response to something, the former in particular if you have night sweats. You'd need to see a doctor to be sure.

I noticed when I started taking Lutein, which has anti-inflammatory properties, for macular degeneration that I was less prone to sweat.

If you're out in the midday sun and/or doing strenuous work, sweating is a healthy response.

I have Thai friends who complain more about the heat than I do, but they don't sweat as much as some overweight farang, especially those farang widely known as soap-dodgers who are unaccustomed to showering regularly & who rarely launder their clothing and wander about perpetually looking like they just were caught in a rainstorm.

Edited by Suradit69

OP, real good advice from Stradavarius37 in post #3.

If you rely on AC all the time, you will never aclimitize properly.

Proper hydration is also very important as well as ensuring your body's salt content stays good.

Not sure where you are in Thailand, but the attached below is from Phitsanulok, similar reading everyday since before Song Kran through the afternoons.

attachicon.gifPhit_Temps_Average Afternoon.jpg

Book yourself a holiday, not much problem with sweating up here.............rolleyes.gif

Your humidity metre is broken.

There is no chance of getting a humidity reading of 10% in Thailand unless you have a very unusual air conditioning system.

It occasionally gets down to that kind of reading in the Japanese winter and it is painful. You will desperately be looking for a humidifier at much less than 20% to 30%.

The genuine reading is probably around 50%

Not sure where you are living in Thailand, but the humidity reading is correct. We are in the dust rice bowl of Thailand up here and the area i live in this is what we get after a cloudless day and extremely dry air. The humidity will rise throughout the night, showing about 60% (ish) most mornings around 05:30.

Just to show it is not my machine playing up, the below snap is from our hygro at the office; the picture was taken on the 19th April just after Song Kran with a bit more moisture in the air..........wink.png

post-76988-0-16718500-1462279135_thumb.j

Thais do suffer from heat too. Don't be fooled by people saying "they're used to it / their metabolisms are adapted" etc.

I was in the LOS in the middle of the very unsual heat wave we've had this year and I really noticed the tired looks of the people in my village. Well, those who don't have a/c at home at least.

The talk of the town was sleepless nights.

I don't think any human being can really "adjust" to what the hot season has had for us this r. Be it farang or Thai.

In the middle of the heatwave?

So it's over?

Maybe never?

I am also an American who has lived here for five years and I thought I had adjusted, until the current extended, record breaking heat wave!

I find that Thai people I know often complain about the heat when it doesn't really bother me, but lately, I think it is getting to everyone, Thai or not.

I love Thailand and never plan to return to America, but recently find myself my cool, foggy home town of San Francisco!

Edited by willyumiii

Proper hydration is also very important as well as ensuring your body's salt content stays good.

Not sure where you are in Thailand, but the attached below is from Phitsanulok, similar reading everyday since before Song Kran through the afternoons.

Book yourself a holiday, not much problem with sweating up here.............rolleyes.gif

There is no chance of getting a humidity reading of 10% in Thailand unless you have a very unusual air conditioning system.

It occasionally gets down to that kind of reading in the Japanese winter and it is painful. You will desperately be looking for a humidifier at much less than 20% to 30%.

Not sure where you are living in Thailand, but the humidity reading is correct. We are in the dust rice bowl of Thailand up here and the area i live in this is what we get after a cloudless day and extremely dry air. The humidity will rise throughout the night, showing about 60% (ish) most mornings around 05:30.

Just to show it is not my machine playing up, the below snap is from our hygro at the office; the picture was taken on the 19th April just after Song Kran with a bit more moisture in the air..........wink.png

attachicon.gifresized_20160419_161339.jpg

FWIW 1/2 way between Udon and KK.

If those readings are actually true then I assume that you have a humidifier running to get the humidity up to a comfortable level. 20% isn't great and at 10% your sweat dries virtual instantly if there is the slightest breeze and your nose will be painfully dry.

My experience of digital hygrometers is that they are often very inaccurate after quite a short time.

Maybe never?

I am also an American who has lived here for five years and I thought I had adjusted, until the current extended, record breaking heat wave!

I find that Thai people I know often complain about the heat when it doesn't really bother me, but lately, I think it is getting to everyone, Thai or not.

I love Thailand and never plan to return to America, but recently find myself my cool, foggy home town of San Francisco!

I'm an SF guy too. My monthly budget is about $3000. If I was back in SF, I'd be living in somebody's garage.

For the most part I ignore the heat. What else you gonna do? Complain on TV?

It cools off at night. Sleep during the hottest part of the day. Smile, you live in LOS.

I grew up skiing in -40 to -70 degrees. Now that I am here I like to just use a fan in my office all day (3-4 degrees hotter than outside). If I stop sweating my skin turns greasy and it means I need more water. I sweat some, but when I go outside to do anything I can return an hour or two later and am not really sweating. I only wear a shirt when I leave the house and I find I can wear the same one a couple of days and it is not stinky and soaked with sweat...

The thing is - No AC (at least in the day)

Drink lots of water or soda.

Move slowly - unless you are on a bike, then scoot around fast.

Pay someone to work in your garden, that is a killer!

Sweating is normal. It would be more of a concern if you were not sweating. Thais sweat, it's just not as profuse and hence visible.

Go for the lightest, loosest cotton fabrics you can buy.

Only use the aircon to aid sleeping. Switch to fans at every opportunity.

Blood is thicker in temperate and cold climates. It takes your body about six months for the blood to thin out to tropical levels.

No Blood isnt thicker or thinner in cold hot its a myth, altitude does have an effect though

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/health-care/professional-opinion-column/article33554922.html

Your point. I suffered terribly from the cold when I came back to Melbourne after 6 years in NW Australia. I remember my body weight was 85 kg there, have never been south of 90 kg since.

What I find strange is that Thais like to put on more clothes even when the temperature gets higher , watch the locals on their scooters , They wear big jackets , shirts with long sleeves and jeans. They don't seem to mind , compare it with all the foreigners on bikes . some of them are even shirtless. I think the locals sweat less than farangs, maybe because they are slim and grew up without AC , most families only use fans so they are used to the heat.

I do not sweat a lot , but I learned my lesson early and do not walk around in the heat .

Its the reason i leave South East Asia during the hot / wet season,

in the Australian tropics, houses are built high off the ground, made

of timber and no air conditioning, people don't die from heatstroke,

now, modern, new homes built on a concrete slab retain the heat

so you will be hot, be careful from high temperatures, it can kill.

Google queenslander homes to see images, those houses are

built exactly like the old Thai timber homes.

post-141778-0-85346600-1462303285_thumb.

"What is it with Thai people that they don't sweat are they more adjusted to the climate then us farang's are?"

It might be logical to come to this conclusion?

Edited by dotpoom

"What is it with Thai people that they don't sweat are they more adjusted to the climate then us farang's are?"

They sweat exactly the same.

Not quite, from my observations, they generally have a higher skin temperature than most westerners so until it gets quite a bit hotter than the temperature that we start sweating control their body temperature by radiation.

It also makes their sweating more efficient.

Not quite, from my observations, they generally have a higher skin temperature than most westerners so until it gets quite a bit hotter than the temperature that we start sweating control their body temperature by radiation.

It also makes their sweating more efficient.

Im not convinced, the lad who works with me ( black as can be) sweats the same, but I read "no hair" which many Asians dont have and is an adaption to hot climates helps with better cooling...............so maybe as they are hairless?

How's that house building going "Sometime"? Ive given up on any other houses here sadly.

So when is the heat wave going to end? I thought last years went on forever

It's only just starting. Of course, the global warming deniers will dispute that.

Edited by bazza40

It's only just starting. Of course, the global warming deniers will dispute that.

thats me then

thats me then

If that's the case,I admire your flexibility. Not too many people can have their foot in their mouth and their head up their ***e simultaneously.

thats me then

If that's the case,I admire your flexibility. Not too many people can have their foot in their mouth and their head up their ***e simultaneously.

well they say opinions are like ***holes

I am American as well, and I am really struggling even inside with the AC on full blast. How do you keep, when in a computer chair, your lower back from becoming a dutch oven? I could literally cook eggs if I held them in place. I am unable to get comfortable while sleeping even if AC is on 18 as well, it just escapes before it cools the room down.

attachicon.gifresized_20160419_161339.jpg

FWIW 1/2 way between Udon and KK.

If those readings are actually true then I assume that you have a humidifier running to get the humidity up to a comfortable level. 20% isn't great and at 10% your sweat dries virtual instantly if there is the slightest breeze and your nose will be painfully dry.

My experience of digital hygrometers is that they are often very inaccurate after quite a short time.

These are outside temperatures, not in anyway controlled. These small devices show absolute humidity, total moisture in the air. The one at the office (second picture) is calibrated annually.

I believe what you are thinking of is relative humidity (where your percentages would make sense) which is the difference between saturation and dewpoint at a given temperature.

I use an instrument at work which calculates all the above values but they don;t come cheap, hence the cheaper devices showing only humidity (absolute) instead of relative.

Plays a big part in welding and painting, more so on the coating front.......................wink.png

I am American as well, and I am really struggling even inside with the AC on full blast. How do you keep, when in a computer chair, your lower back from becoming a dutch oven? I could literally cook eggs if I held them in place. I am unable to get comfortable while sleeping even if AC is on 18 as well, it just escapes before it cools the room down.

I'd say there was something wrong with your AC.

If the only problem is sweating then a prescription medication is available ie.from a doctor to reduce this.

After surviving 5 years you are obviously aware of hydration and potassium/magnesium importance - drink water before you're thirsty.. Use a sachet a day of a pharmaceutical grade electrolyte mix which covers it.

If you take any other medication check if 'profuse sweating' is a recognized side-effect. If yes there may be an alternative.

Some blood-pressure meds are diuretics...they will definitely make you sweat.

Wrong. they do make you urinate more...

Been living here for 2 years. tough to leave the best year 'round climate in the USA in San Diego. Really suffered in Samut Prakan the first year and practically lived in AC. Now almost a year in Naklua, Bang Lamung in a nice condo close to the ocean, only tried the AC for the first time a few days ago.

My GF said she was cold and so was I. I think genes are a big part of it. Having a room that's like living on the bow of a boat doesn't hurt.

Also lately I started using an umbrella again with the reflective coating. Man it makes a big difference being out and about.

Eat more fruit in season and lose weight... ;)

Edited by joeyg