When will I ever adjust to the climate?

If the only problem is sweating then a prescription medication is available ie.from a doctor to reduce this.

After surviving 5 years you are obviously aware of hydration and potassium/magnesium importance - drink water before you're thirsty.. Use a sachet a day of a pharmaceutical grade electrolyte mix which covers it.

If you take any other medication check if 'profuse sweating' is a recognized side-effect. If yes there may be an alternative.

Some blood-pressure meds are diuretics...they will definitely make you sweat.

Actually, they make you sweat less !

My experience was different.

My doctor had me on diazide for hypertension and it made me sweat more.

Results may vary...but you can put away your "actually"

Actually, no mention at all of extra sweating when taking it. :-)

Dyazide side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Dyazide: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Dyazide and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

• eye pain, vision problems;

• slow, fast, or uneven heartbeat;

• feeling like you might pass out;

• swelling or rapid weight gain;

• urinating less than usual or not at all;

• headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, loss of appetite, feeling unsteady, hallucinations, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops;

• low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);

• high potassium (irregular heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling);

• severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;

• easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;

• patchy skin color, red spots, or a butterfly-shaped skin rash over your cheeks and nose (worsens in sunlight);

• fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or

• jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious Dyazide side effects may include:

• mild nausea, diarrhea, constipation;

• dizziness, headache;

• blurred vision;

• dry mouth;

• skin rash.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an old Australian living in the tropics. This 40 degree Australian heat and 90% humidity doesn't bother me.

In Thailand I feel like I am dying 10 months of the year.

It's not as mysterious as you may think.

The relative humidity is the key to understanding it

The highest humidity likely at 40 °C is 45% and this will feel like 51 °C on the heat index scale. If it's a dessert climate in Australia, it's likely the humidity is less than 45%.

90% humidity at 40 °C is impossible outside of a stream room.

Take 34 °C, which is the highs we've been experiencing in Pattaya over the last month, the highest humidity likely is 75%, although it has been considerably lower, will feel like 51 °C on the heat index scale.

post-34982-0-89663600-1462622580_thumb.p

Couldnt live without aircon here have never adjusted at all to the climate, too sticky for me, work everyday out doors in +40c heat and humidity, worst time morning with no wind changing

5 t- shirts everyday at the moment.

Got a lad works for me hes 32 Burmese, he also sweats like a pig and jumps into the lake everyday after about 3 hours work to cool off

Last year I went 5 months without aircon. It didn't make any difference to my tolerance and there's no reason why it should...

It comes down to human physiology...

At the end of the day, the body must maintain 37 °C. That's a constant. When outdoor temperatures are exceeding that, you're going to sweat a lot. As soon as you do anything the muscular contraction raises body temperature.

I'm sure most of you are big compared to Thai people. You have thick cores compared to Thai people. If you calculate your body weight to skin surface area ratio, you'll understand why you're at a huge disadvantage in dissipating heat compared to your leaner local counterparts. Your muscular mass will make a big difference too, as well as your basic metabolic rate.

People think they can get fit in this heat. You see them out in the park everyday. They all think the more you sweat the fitter you're getting. It's pretty hard to get fit when you're body is struggling to stay at 37 °C. In actual fact the number of calories you can burn will be significantly reduced so it's not even good for fat loss. If you monitor your heart rate when you exercise you'll discover just how disadvantaged you are in the heat as your heart rate races to maximum with hardly any effort.

Enjoy the air conditioning. Exercise in air conditioning with fans... and buy lots of dark coloured shirts (navy blue, black) or white, so you don't look so sweaty in public.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

I have to agree with another person who posted here.... He said air-conditioning makes it harder. Very true. I read about something called Acclimatization before going to Thailand.

With time, the body can adjust to things like hot climate like in tropical countries such as Thailand, higher altitudes like in the mountains of Nepal and Tibet.... but you need to do it gradually......

And going in and out of air-conditioning every day, simply is not giving your body the chance to adjust.

I made it a point of avoiding air-conditioning when I came to Thailand, and made do with just a fan in my residence..

For about the first three weeks... I sweat like a stuck pig... almost as wet as having a shower with my clothes on..... I drank bottled water almost constantly and had just a touch of salt now and then...

Wear loose, light colored clothing... some of the modern sythentics made for the tropics are very good...thin lite linen and cotton are also good. You want loose and thin clothing to allow maximum air to flow through and heat and moisture to escape...

Let your feet breath and be exposed .. don't cover them up in shoes and socks... I switched to a good pair of sandals and no socks. My feet felt much better for it. And easier to quickly remove when entering a Thai home or visiting Temple.

After about three weeks.... my sweating slowed down to normal... and I could back off of drinking so much water.. I still felt the heat... but now it seemed okay.. and did not bother me like the first three weeks.. and my clothes now stayed much drier... I noticed the heat.. but now could ignore it and consider it normal... even during the hottest part of the Thai year..

So much nicer when you are acclimatized to the local conditions... . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

Rubbish re. the emboldened part!

It depends on just how hot it is - and the locals are also suffering nowadays. Its way too hot for all of us and aircon is a godsend when temps are so high.

Some may be happy sweltering in the heat, and believe it is acclimatising them - but in my experience this is not the case.

I agree... People make far too much about acclimatization. There's a huge difference between feeling very comfortable and alert in a cooler room with lower humidity compared to being able to handle a hot room. One is managing, the other is thriving. Also, no matter how well someone can tolerate the hot weather, their body just doesn't work as efficiently in a hot environment. I don't know why people bother. Is it to save on electricity?

I have to agree with another person who posted here.... He said air-conditioning makes it harder. Very true. I read about something called Acclimatization before going to Thailand.

With time, the body can adjust to things like hot climate like in tropical countries such as Thailand, higher altitudes like in the mountains of Nepal and Tibet.... but you need to do it gradually......

And going in and out of air-conditioning every day, simply is not giving your body the chance to adjust.

I made it a point of avoiding air-conditioning when I came to Thailand, and made do with just a fan in my residence..

For about the first three weeks... I sweat like a stuck pig... almost as wet as having a shower with my clothes on..... I drank bottled water almost constantly and had just a touch of salt now and then...

Wear loose, light colored clothing... some of the modern sythentics made for the tropics are very good...thin lite linen and cotton are also good. You want loose and thin clothing to allow maximum air to flow through and heat and moisture to escape...

Let your feet breath and be exposed .. don't cover them up in shoes and socks... I switched to a good pair of sandals and no socks. My feet felt much better for it. And easier to quickly remove when entering a Thai home or visiting Temple.

After about three weeks.... my sweating slowed down to normal... and I could back off of drinking so much water.. I still felt the heat... but now it seemed okay.. and did not bother me like the first three weeks.. and my clothes now stayed much drier... I noticed the heat.. but now could ignore it and consider it normal... even during the hottest part of the Thai year..

So much nicer when you are acclimatized to the local conditions... . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimatization

It depends on just how hot it is - and the locals are also suffering nowadays. Its way too hot for all of us and aircon is a godsend when temps are so high.

Some may be happy sweltering in the heat, and believe it is acclimatising them - but in my experience this is not the case.

I agree... People make far too much about acclimatization. There's a huge difference between feeling very comfortable and alert in a cooler room with lower humidity compared to being able to handle a hot room. One is managing, the other is thriving. Also, no matter how well someone can tolerate the hot weather, their body just doesn't work as efficiently in a hot environment. I don't know why people bother. Is it to save on electricity?

Some people like to go outside now and then.

Some people like to go outside now and then.

Just because you use air conditioners doesn't mean you're incapable of being outdoors... but going out into the sun when the shade temperatures are in the mid-30's is not something most people relish, even if they don't use air conditioners when indoors. When I am out in the day I'm usually on the motorcycle, so the wind keeps things bearable.

Surprisingly I've managed quite well in SE Asia, using air conditioners indoors, for about 15 years. It can be done. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't make one sick. I almost never get nasal infections.

I did a 5 month stint in the Philippines with no air conditioners last year. I went 8 months another year without - in the middle of summer in brutal temperatures under a tin roof. I even did intense weight training workouts in very hot gyms with no air conditioning. I survived, but It just makes me more lethargic - I do less (resulting in a lower level of fitness and health) - and can't think as clearly. It most definitely does not improve the quality of life but rather lowers it quite a bit. I most certainly doesn't make me more eager to go outdoors.

I don't go for arctic temperatures with air conditioners. I set between 26 °C and 28 °C combined with well placed fans. I don't think you'll find many shopping centers with temperatures much below 26 °C. The lower humidity is what makes the rooms bearable even at high thermostat settings.

Edited by tropo

Even the Thais suffer (and sweat heavily) when it gets v hot, and surely they must be as acclimatised as possible to the climate?

Edit - I agree with other posters re. humidity making the heat worse. It rained a little last night and was cool and grey early this a.m. - the perfect time to get some work done in the garden! The humidity was dripping off me as I worked, as was the sweat... Three hours later I was too tired to continue and drenched in sweat.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Thais get cranky when the weather gets hot.

I asked a bunch of Thai guys recently if the hot weather made Thai people irritable (murmurs of agreement)

Asked them if the heat ever made them want to stab their wives (smattering of laughter)

Asked them if the heat ever made them want to punch a foreign tourist in the face (loud embarassed laughter) smile.png

Did you ask in Thai or did you use the "sign language" ?

fact: those who are over age 60 and claim they have acclimatised (meaning they don't find temperatures of 34ºC and above not very uncomfortable) can either not afford or are not willing to spend money airconditioning their homes.

wai2.gif

or are already DEADlaugh.png

Even the Thais suffer (and sweat heavily) when it gets v hot, and surely they must be as acclimatised as possible to the climate?

Edit - I agree with other posters re. humidity making the heat worse. It rained a little last night and was cool and grey early this a.m. - the perfect time to get some work done in the garden! The humidity was dripping off me as I worked, as was the sweat... Three hours later I was too tired to continue and drenched in sweat.

Early mornings are the worst as theres no wind'

Early mornings are the worst as theres no wind'

Depends, sometimes its windy - other times no wind. But you're right about this morning, there wasn't a breath of bloody wind!

Walking the dogs was fine. Slow, steady walk with no sun and far cooler than normal..

Arriving back home and thinking it was an ideal time to work in the garden, was a different story... To look on the bright side, I managed to carry on for nearly 3 hours whereas the last time I tried (a week ago) - I was back in front of a fan within 20 mins biggrin.png .

It was unbearable (the last time I tried) and my gardener, who turned up just as I was giving up (around 8.45 a.m) - thought the same thing. He explained that they came so early because it was so hot. There was no grass to cut (I don't water the grass a I'm reliant on a well), so they only needed to rake up the leaves and cut back some shrubs. This still took a long time as they frequently (and understandably) needed to sit in the shade for a while.

been here for two years as well and I'm an american from the south. being a big person i sweat profusely from a few minutes i am out the door to just drenched in sweat within 20 minutes. it is very embarrassing but i will have to deal with it... makes it hard to breathe here too with all the pollution when it creeps up to a very hot climate. i'll just have to cope with the heat or get a car soon so i can do all my errands inside air-conditioning. i also drink 1.5 gallons of water per day easily. i also eat 6 meals a day so I'm always replenished of my minerals .. love thailand but the heat is insane