British couple vows to return to Hua Hin despite brutal attack

webfact

Coming on holiday to Thailand and having to go through there ordeal and all the unwanted exposure in the worlds press must of been a very harrowing experience for them and there familys.

I hope the Thai government do take care of them and treat them to an all expenses paid holiday on behalf of the TAT,it is the least they deserve fortunately the bad publicity this has created may change things for a little while,but in reality gang attacks on foriegners is definately on the increase.

Thankfully all government agencies have got involved and the Thai government should be applauded for that.

What changes?

We were told that the case was being 'hurried along' to ensure the tourists could give evidence before they left - but I haven't read about any court case happening at which they gave evidence.

Pretty good reason why there's no news about any court case, there isn't going to be one!

The OP says that the tourists were going to give evidence to the court at 1.30 today - which is why I'm looking forward to hearing the sentencing for those that kicked the tourists in the head when they were unconscious or -in the case of the old female - made the mistake of not being entirely unconscious, and therefore deserving of a kick to the head to ensure she too was hopefully dead.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised that certain posts are now 'locked' considering some people are commenting on obvious 'cut video' and stating the English also provoked the attack.

The original video shows the Thai man trying to start a fight with an earlier 'passer-by'.

As the English trio walk down the path, the young Englishman puts his hand out towards the 'drunk Thai', in what would be seen as a way to stop the Thai from stumbling into the trio. This is something that many people would do, and is not in any way an attempt to promote a fight.

The Thai man flattened the English son and the parents confronted him.

Not sure what people like BALO have been watching, but he/she needs to see the whole video, and not the cut version for the benefit of the Thai media and police of whom are now trying to hold face.

This is a total disgraceful act and won't be easy to sweep under the table.

One thing to think about though, these type of acts are now becoming more common 'around the world', where respect to others and especially the elders is being flushed down the drain.

Didn't I read that they vowed NEVER to return?

Yes they did.

No , it was their son who works in Singapore that made that statement.

From the Telegraph article :

The younger Mr Owen, also called Lewis, had reportedly bumped into one of his attackers, who were not known to him or his parents.

He has returned to Singapore, where he works as a graphic designer, and told reporters last week that neither he nor his parents would ever return to Thailand.

But according to the Daily News website, his parents said on Monday that they would be happy to return to Thailand, telling the reporters that the incident was committed by only four individuals and did not represent the Thai people.

Edited by balo

Coming on holiday to Thailand and having to go through there ordeal and all the unwanted exposure in the worlds press must of been a very harrowing experience for them and there familys.

I hope the Thai government do take care of them and treat them to an all expenses paid holiday on behalf of the TAT,it is the least they deserve fortunately the bad publicity this has created may change things for a little while,but in reality gang attacks on foriegners is definately on the increase.

Thankfully all government agencies have got involved and the Thai government should be applauded for that.

What changes?

We were told that the case was being 'hurried along' to ensure the tourists could give evidence before they left - but I haven't read about any court case happening at which they gave evidence.

All the evidence the court needs is very clearly available on the CCTV footage that has gone viral. In fact talking of viral, the western media have had a field day on these Thai episodes, which has certainly opened up a huge can of worms for the TAT.

Yes they did.

No , it was their son who works in Singapore that made that statement.

From the Telegraph article :

The younger Mr Owen, also called Lewis, had reportedly bumped into one of his attackers, who were not known to him or his parents.

He has returned to Singapore, where he works as a graphic designer, and told reporters last week that neither he nor his parents would ever return to Thailand.

But according to the Daily News website, his parents said on Monday that they would be happy to return to Thailand, telling the reporters that the incident was committed by only four individuals and did not represent the Thai people.

And this doesn't suprise me at all. The son lives in Singapore so will have a better idea - and consequently could well have assumed that his parents would never come back.

Much as I think the brutal offenders deserve a 10 year prison sentence (to discourage other violent people) - I also understand why the parents may think this was an isolated incident. To a certain extent the parents are right. Avoid going out after dark - and most certainly don't cause anyone to 'lose face' (!) and you're likely to be fine.

What a load of cobblers. They (PMs office) are putting words in the mouths of the British couple. This is strictly for local consumption. Wanna bet the international headlines, after the couple return to GB, say the exact opposite.

As for the PM, I would tell him, if he even bothered to care, where to stuff it.

of course they will return now, after PM involvement, all expenses paid and police protection.

happy they have made a full recovery and hopefully return to enjoy the true Thailand

Sorry, mate. Where's the true Thailand again? facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

What changes?

Pretty good reason why there's no news about any court case, there isn't going to be one!

The OP says that the tourists were going to give evidence to the court at 1.30 today - which is why I'm looking forward to hearing the sentencing for those that kicked the tourists in the head when they were unconscious or -in the case of the old female - made the mistake of not being entirely unconscious, and therefore deserving of a kick to the head to ensure she too was hopefully dead.

10 million Kip from Laos, payable immediately by the PM. facepalm.gif

Bull crime from the Prayuth propoganda machine, the couple personally said they would never return. Let me guess the current government held their passports and refused to allow them free passage until they worshiped prayuth, gave forgiveness to thier attackers and made a public appearance for TAT.

of course they will return now, after PM involvement, all expenses paid and police protection.

happy they have made a full recovery and hopefully return to enjoy the true Thailand

Are you for real!!!!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Nasrullah

Yes they did.
and again yes they did. This is different tho from the official TAT vow who took it upon themselves to speak on their behalf after clearing it with the Lord Prayuth to ensure it benefits the tourist dollar Edited by Thechook

These 3 brits witnessed it first hand.........

I don't like the wai from the dad either.........It's intrinsically thai,and should be left at that!......foreigners look like morons when they wai!

So your suggesting Hua Hin is not true Thailand then ?....so where is true Thailand then and please dont suggest Isaan LOL

What else would they say to the pm ? No they are never coming back to sh@thole Thailand....they may end up being "re-educated"....one suspects all they want to do is get on a plane out of dodge

no I wasn't saying that, I meant true Thailand, enjoying a holiday without being assaulted, they were just in wrong place at the wrong time

as most of us know, these incidents do rarely happened to innocent tourists

I love Hua Hin and yes I do live in Isaan hahaha cheers

And as all of us who have EYES who actually watched the video know, these are not "innocent tourists." They are scrappy, argumentative individuals who contributed a fair bit to the situation escalating.

Did they deserve what happened to them? OF COURSE NOT. Especially, the young thugs punching the old woman is inexcusable. But let's not paint them as innocent angels who were pounced upon out of the blue.

99.99999% of violent altercations between farangs and Thais can be avoided by THE FARANG WALKING AWAY. I'm the size of about 3 Thai men put together, and I always walk away. Never had a problem.

Who did what to whom isn't as important as 3 tourists being laid out on the floor - and then kicked in the head.

The OAPs were scheduled to give evidence at 1.30 p.m. today - so we should hear v soon as to the sentencing for the vicious assault on defenseless people.

I don't like the wai from the dad either.........It's intrinsically thai,and should be left at that!......foreigners look like morons when they wai!

Absolutely, the 'wai' from the dad is ridiculous - he has no idea.

Agree too that foreigners look ridiculous when they 'wai' as none (?) of us understand the intricacies. Thais has grown up with the 'wai-ing' system, but we haven't.

Damn - I've taken the thread off topic again from the central point that the tourists gave evidence at 1.30 p.m. today - so we should hear about sentencing v soon.

I imagine some money has changed hands

I hope for sure it has as they deserve this. I work with elderly and I am sure there are many here can testify what I am saying is a regular occurrence with the seniors; (and did a lot more) as a GP. They become more afraid of mundane simple things we would never worry about.

This horrific ordeal would make them not afraid, not worried but I would go so far to say TERRIFIED and really worried about getting out safely. they would have read about the Junta and thought OH THIS IS THAIALND safe blah blah and then this. They would be ready to say anything to leave in one piece and not pieces.

“I still have nightmares. And the headaches. The headaches are there all the time,” said Mrs Owen, who spoke from a private room in the courthouse while her confessed attackers sat in the same building..........

How could you return after this ordeal!

Absolutely, the 'wai' from the dad is ridiculous - he has no idea.

Agree too that foreigners look ridiculous when they 'wai' as none (?) of us understand the intricacies. Thais has grown up with the 'wai-ing' system, but we haven't.

Damn - I've taken the thread off topic again from the central point that the tourists gave evidence at 1.30 p.m. today - so we should hear about sentencing v soon.

regarding the sentencing.....i think they will not get off as light as some were saying in other threads...

The offenders may well be left carrying the coffin......anyone think the bangkok elite care about these monkeys!wai2.gif

So lets see, you think that foreigners should not adopt the cultures of the lands they are visiting?

If this were a Thai in the UK, would you think it appropriate for them not to shake hands with the government members?

My God, no wonder some Thais dislike certain foreigners.

They vow never to n now they vow to. So many vows to keep , decisions.. decisions hmm...?

It's called attitude adjustment and they had better say what's needed if they know whats good for them whistling.gif

So your suggesting Hua Hin is not true Thailand then ?....so where is true Thailand then and please dont suggest Isaan LOL

What else would they say to the pm ? No they are never coming back to sh@thole Thailand....they may end up being "re-educated"....one suspects all they want to do is get on a plane out of dodge

no I wasn't saying that, I meant true Thailand, enjoying a holiday without being assaulted, they were just in wrong place at the wrong time

as most of us know, these incidents do rarely happened to innocent tourists

I love Hua Hin and yes I do live in Isaan hahaha cheers

And as all of us who have EYES who actually watched the video know, these are not "innocent tourists." They are scrappy, argumentative individuals who contributed a fair bit to the situation escalating.

Did they deserve what happened to them? OF COURSE NOT. Especially, the young thugs punching the old woman is inexcusable. But let's not paint them as innocent angels who were pounced upon out of the blue.

99.99999% of violent altercations between farangs and Thais can be avoided by THE FARANG WALKING AWAY. I'm the size of about 3 Thai men put together, and I always walk away. Never had a problem.

Careful now, the numpties accusing you of being a Thai apologist will be along in a minute.

In a conflict with two parties (sides) involved, a simple minded person will take an observer’s criticism of Party A to imply acceptance or support of Party B. These are the people calling names (“apologist for the Thais”) whenever anyone points out that the Brit family instigated and escalated a violent situation.

An intelligent person, on the other hand, will recognize that it is perfectly logical for the observer to criticise both Parties, particularly where there is evidence that both Parties are at fault. In this case the three Thais whose retribution was way over the top deserve all the criticism they get.

The video shown in many media outlets outside Thailand cuts out all the acts of violence perpetrated by the Brits and goes straight from mother arguing, to the three being laid out by punches and kicks from Thais. That’s shameful journalism and smacks of racism. Little wonder that it has whipped up emotions among Brits in particular and that there are many posters still confused about the facts.

What I find really disturbing is the number of posters who evidently have seen the whole video and yet still seem completely blind to the fact that the Brits were culpable and only see the Thais as violent. That smacks of racism and is shameful too. If anyone deserved the epithet of “apologist” it would be these racist types: apologists for their tribe even in the face of evidence against them.