Red Soda

gerryBScot

I am fond of a glass or two of soda water mixed with Blue Boy Red Cordial especially in these very hot climes right now. What damage am I doing to my waist line? How many calories are there, say, in 325 ml glass mixed 1:8 cordial to soda? How does this compare to a same size glass of Coke or Pepsi? Any recommendations for alcohol free drinks ?Many thanks.

Orange or other fruit juice ( eg Tipco ) with soda water ( 1 small carton juice + 1 bottle soda ) - really cold. Still sugar but probably less than artificial drinks.

The low sugar will also help keep your body temperature down.

Smoothies, there are many you can make yourself, experiment ( add some spice such as nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, garam masala, real rose water - as in a real lassi drink ); just fruit and water, if you must add plain yoghurt. No need to add sugar to anything.

Thanks Speedo good suggestions especially with the additions. I guess it could be freshly squeezed oranges mixed with the soda. Still would like to know if there is any significant difference in carbonated soda drinks like coke or soda mixed with some red syrup.

Just for your information another train of thought...

"People who ate at least two servings each week of certain whole fruits — particularly blueberries, grapes, and apples — reduced their risk for type 2 diabetes by as much as 23 percent in comparison to those who ate less than one serving per month. Conversely, those who consumed one or more servings of fruit juice each day increased their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 21 percent. The researchers found that swapping three servings of juice per week for whole fruits would result in a 7 percent reduction in diabetes risk."

"People who ate at least two servings each week of certain whole fruits — particularly blueberries, grapes, and apples — reduced their risk for type 2 diabetes by as much as 23 percent in comparison to those who ate less than one serving per month. Conversely, those who consumed one or more servings of fruit juice each day increased their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 21 percent. The researchers found that swapping three servings of juice per week for whole fruits would result in a 7 percent reduction in diabetes risk."

Thanks ravip that's really useful information. I am taking it the fruit juice referred to is the processed/pasteurised stuff that you buy in cartons with added sugar as opposed to freshly home squeezed fresh fruit juice?

My guess is that sugar content of the red soda bought in Thailand will be very close to that of Coke or Pepsi .... and also the various tea drinks. Thai taste is for very sweet - so that's what we all get in 7-11.

Making your own using fresh fruit is a great idea.

I just use a blender and throw fruit and veg in it plus some ice. Also add frozen berries.

Thanks ravip that's really useful information. I am taking it the fruit juice referred to is the processed/pasteurised stuff that you buy in cartons with added sugar as opposed to freshly home squeezed fresh fruit juice?

Fruit juice has now become a controversial food item, similar to what had happened to many other foods we used to consume freely. I guess as usual everything in moderation is the key. Some points highlighted are;

1. Some processed/pasteurised stuff may contain preservatives, colouring etc

2. Fiber Intake

Despite the plentiful nutrients available in juice, you won't be getting the fiber contained in whole fruit. Juicing appliances extract the juice and leave behind the pulp and skin, which is where most of the fiber content is located. Fiber's health benefits include supporting digestion, controlling blood sugar and lowering cholesterol, according to the American Dietetic Association. Fiber also helps you feel full longer, an important advantage of whole fruits, particularly if you're watching your weight.
3. Sugar Consumption
Juice Extraction Vs. Eating Whole Fruits
Another important consideration of juice relates to sugar content. Due to whole fruits' fiber content, your body absorbs the natural sugars more slowly; therefore, you're less likely to experience a spike in your blood sugar level. In addition, you need a considerable amount of fruit for juicing -- one glass of juice has more sugar than a single piece of whole fruit. The bottom line is: Juicing can help you round out your fruit intake, but eating more whole fruits should be your primary goal.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/435966-juice-extraction-vs-eating-whole-fruits/

4. Despite its convenience

Juice is a far less healthy option than a real piece of fruit. Not only does the juicing process destroy a number of fruits’ beneficial compounds and antioxidants, it removes nearly all of the natural fiber . All the sugar with none of the fiber? No, thanks — fiber carries a myriad of digestive benefits and is crucial for slowing the absorption of the fruit’s sugar and keeping its glycemic index low. This, the scientists hypothesized, may be why juice increases the risk of diabetes, and why a high intake of fruit juice has been linked to childhood obesity

http://greatist.com/health/fruit-juice-increases-risk-diabetes-090313

And here are some other useful information...

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/health-and-wellbeing/juice-vs-whole-fruit

http://www.self.com/flash/nutritionnews/2012/08/fruit-versus-juice/

Fruit juice has now become a controversial food item, similar to what had happened to many other foods we used to consume freely. I guess as usual everything in moderation is the key. Some points highlighted are;

1. Some processed/pasteurised stuff may contain preservatives, colouring etc

2. Fiber Intake

Despite the plentiful nutrients available in juice, you won't be getting the fiber contained in whole fruit. Juicing appliances extract the juice and leave behind the pulp and skin, which is where most of the fiber content is located. Fiber's health benefits include supporting digestion, controlling blood sugar and lowering cholesterol, according to the American Dietetic Association. Fiber also helps you feel full longer, an important advantage of whole fruits, particularly if you're watching your weight.
3. Sugar Consumption
Juice Extraction Vs. Eating Whole Fruits
Another important consideration of juice relates to sugar content. Due to whole fruits' fiber content, your body absorbs the natural sugars more slowly; therefore, you're less likely to experience a spike in your blood sugar level. In addition, you need a considerable amount of fruit for juicing -- one glass of juice has more sugar than a single piece of whole fruit. The bottom line is: Juicing can help you round out your fruit intake, but eating more whole fruits should be your primary goal.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/435966-juice-extraction-vs-eating-whole-fruits/

4. Despite its convenience

Juice is a far less healthy option than a real piece of fruit. Not only does the juicing process destroy a number of fruits’ beneficial compounds and antioxidants, it removes nearly all of the natural fiber . All the sugar with none of the fiber? No, thanks — fiber carries a myriad of digestive benefits and is crucial for slowing the absorption of the fruit’s sugar and keeping its glycemic index low. This, the scientists hypothesized, may be why juice increases the risk of diabetes, and why a high intake of fruit juice has been linked to childhood obesity

http://greatist.com/health/fruit-juice-increases-risk-diabetes-090313

And here are some other useful information...

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/health-and-wellbeing/juice-vs-whole-fruit

http://www.self.com/flash/nutritionnews/2012/08/fruit-versus-juice/

Brilliant stuff Ravip, many thanks indeed. I read the original Harvard article and it clarified the business of eating whole fruit versus the extracted juice and it makes it clear that whole fruit is a much better for the reasons you have described in 3. Fascinating stuff, really.

Thanks Speedo good suggestions especially with the additions. I guess it could be freshly squeezed oranges mixed with the soda. Still would like to know if there is any significant difference in carbonated soda drinks like coke or soda mixed with some red syrup.

Hi "gerryBScot"

A few sugar details

All have been converted to 100ml drink.

Coke - 11g

Mountain Dew - 13g

Red Bull - 11g

Lactosoy Red - 4.3g

Lactosoy Blue - 9.6g

3 in 1 coffee pack made up - 5.5g

Tipco Tangerine + 325ml soda - per 100ml - 1.9g

Tipco Shogun + 325ml soda - per 100ml - 3.4g

Red Syrup Hale's - they state that 100g = 73g sugar ( dont know if this is pure syrup or plus water - assume syrup, then in 200ml drink - 36g sugar

Drinks made from syrup are normally very very sweet.

You can see the variances in sugar in orange juice.

With fresh fruits of all kinds ( and vegetables ) sugar content will vary enormously, type to type and season to season

Veges per 100g portion, carrot 4.7g, peas 6g, corn 0.6g, sweet potato 4.2g, mangoes 14g.

Food labeling may state "added sugar" but not total sugar.

The GDA recommendations ( all sources of sugar ) are 90g women and 120g men, to include not more than 30g of added sugars per day.

We all know less sugar is beneficial to ones health and I am glad you are looking at alternatives.

Despite being a farmer for over 50 years I have been a vegan for many of them. I am on a low fat, low sugar, low salt, high fibre diet. I listen to what my body wants in the way of nutrition, sometimes extra sugar, sometimes extra fat.

I don't drink, at least for a long time but, if you are looking for a different taste to beer try like the French do, Grenadine ( Cassis ) syrup or green mint syrup - the beer must be VERY cold.