TU student union demands free expression for the sake of true democracy

webfact

TU student union demands free expression for the sake of true democracy

279210_429132053790270_632516850_o-wpcf_

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat Student Union (TSU) today issued a statement calling on the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to allow free expression of opinions on the scheduled August 7 referendum and the draft charter saying it will contribute greatly to true democracy and eventual benefits to the people.

The announcement came as the student union was concerned about the country’s human rights and the procedure leading to the August 7 referendum as those with expressions of different views were put in military custody and sent for “attitude adjustments” at military camps.

The student union said the executing of Section 44 under the interim constitution to put people with different political opinions in custody is against the justice system, and could not resolve the current conflict in the country.

Instead it even deepen the conflict and creates hatred in the country, it said.

The student union said the government should listen to all critics if it trusts that this country is owned by all people.

Blocking different ideas and views won’t be good to the country, it said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161871

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-03

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope those students like camping, they might have to follow their predecessors up country.

lom sak and nakon thai will be quite pleasant in august.

take care students, you have a loose nut on the wheel of this ship.

"When a government fears the people there is liberty, when the people fears the government there is tyranny" ; Thomas Jefferson.

Now what do the people have here? Express your opinion and we don't approve of it = attitude adjustment,

have a red bowl = charges with ten year gaol,

Express your opinion on the draft charter = gaol.

Click like on FB = gaol.

Calling for independent investigation of corruption for a park down south = attitude adjustment............

In a country where votes were bought for 500 bht , you never really had a democracy.

Accepting the money did not mean you had to vote for the donor, Many voters accepted cash from all sides and then voted as they pleased anyway. Others only took cash from the party they intended to vote for. In many cases the payout was far less than 500 Baht as middlemen swiped their share.

Democracy was not impaired then to the extent it is now - that is undeniable.

"When a government fears the people there is liberty, when the people fears the government there is tyranny" ; Thomas Jefferson.

Now what do the people have here? Express your opinion and we don't approve of it = attitude adjustment,

Click like on FB = gaol.

Calling for independent investigation of corruption for a park down south = attitude adjustment............

so you think you have free speech in Austrailia then

I suggest you go do a little research, there is no such a thing as free speech - there are always limits and boundaries for very obvious reasons, some countries are more strict than others, it can also depend on what is going on that could result in special powers being introduced for limited periods, there are certain groups and individuals in Thailand right now that would like nothing better than to cause trouble and violence, we have seen it many times in the past and most of us have a reasonable idea who is behind it.

People have been told they can individually express how they feel about the charter, what they are not allowed to do is distort its content or create a protest group and take to the streets

A lot of people are going to lose their theiving ability when this charter is passed and we are talking very large amounts of money - quite frankly I am very pleased with that

In a country where votes were bought for 500 bht , you never really had a democracy.

This BS keeps being repeated, but hand on heart, do you really believe that people don't just pocket the money and then go out and vote for their party of choice?

Click like on FB = gaol.

I suggest you go do a little research, there is no such a thing as free speech - there are always limits and boundaries for very obvious reasons, some countries are more strict than others, it can also depend on what is going on that could result in special powers being introduced for limited periods, there are certain groups and individuals in Thailand right now that would like nothing better than to cause trouble and violence, we have seen it many times in the past and most of us have a reasonable idea who is behind it.

People have been told they can individually express how they feel about the charter, what they are not allowed to do is distort its content or create a protest group and take to the streets

A lot of people are going to lose their theiving ability when this charter is passed and we are talking very large amounts of money - quite frankly I am very pleased with that

Predictable response from you. The fact can't be altered that this guy has expressed a contrary opinion and is being detained because of it. Doesn't matter how you dress it up, it is a fact. Edited by jesimps

This BS keeps being repeated, but hand on heart, do you really believe that people don't just pocket the money and then go out and vote for their party of choice?

You are forgetting the red bully factor that goes with the dosh and also the uneducated (and there are a lot) that are led to the poll booth and told where to put their thumb print. How do i know?....I live where it happens at every election.

Click like on FB = gaol.

Predictable response from you. The fact can't be altered that this guy has expressed a contrary opinion and is being detained because of it. Doesn't matter how you dress it up, it is a fact.

really ?

I was making a general point about free speech - there is no such a thing

Now since you seem to know what this guy said perhaps you could share with us all the details so that we can agree or disagree, on the other hand if you don't know what he said then what was the point of your comment claiming it to be a fact - you actually have no clue

You are forgetting the red bully factor that goes with the dosh and also the uneducated (and there are a lot) that are led to the poll booth and told where to put their thumb print. How do i know?....I live where it happens at every election.

Would that be equivalent to the yellow bully mob that stop the voters from polling? How do I know ... It's on every major news.

Click like on FB = gaol.

Predictable response from you. The fact can't be altered that this guy has expressed a contrary opinion and is being detained because of it. Doesn't matter how you dress it up, it is a fact.

really ?

Now since you seem to know what this guy said perhaps you could share with us all the details so that we can agree or disagree, on the other hand if you don't know what he said then what was the point of your comment claiming it to be a fact - you actually have no clue

Logically, you missed the point.

As reported by Khaosod (English):

"Watana’s most recent detention stemmed from his saying online that he would oppose the proposed constitution written under supervision of the military and set to go before the public in a Aug. 7 referendum."

Which proves the point that "this guy has expressed a contrary opinion and is being detained because of it".

really ?

"Watana’s most recent detention stemmed from his saying online that he would oppose the proposed constitution written under supervision of the military and set to go before the public in a Aug. 7 referendum."

Which proves the point that "this guy has expressed a contrary opinion and is being detained because of it".

he is an active politician and they have been told to keep their mouths shut which I actually agree with, they had many chances to make changes for the good of Thailand and its people but instead chose another path one which will be tightly shut if this charter gets passed

But they've not been able to stop the thieving and corruption and power abuse and Nepotism that's going on today, zero cheques and balances and zero accountability.

really ?

he is an active politician and they have been told to keep their mouths shut which I actually agree with, they had many chances to make changes for the good of Thailand and its people but instead chose another path one which will be tightly shut if this charter gets passed

You would agree if they said get rid of all the foreigners not on retirement visas too no doubt. It's a shame your bigoted one sided views you can never actually bring in the likes of Abhisit who was also critical of the Junta and of their Charter.

Its a shame you don't add in Suthep and Issara into the same sentences either, as they're free to do what they want, say what they want, and get away with it.

I don't have time for the PTP, but then again, I don't have a vote, so it's moot point, just like you, you can't change anything, the ones that can, you lambaste. Continuously

I don't know enough about the Draft Charter to comment on whether it's a good or bad document, but I definitely applaud these students for tactfully finding a way to get the message voiced publicly that people don't want this shoved down there throat while somehow being gagged. I think they're sending a message to the coup gov't that is in the heart of most Thais -- Thais who are tired of feeling they are being intimidated into silence.

What are the coup gov't leaders going to do about it? The students are just offering a suggestion to their government for how to reach the goal of democracy that the referendum is suppose to bring anyway.

really ?

"Watanas most recent detention stemmed from his saying online that he would oppose the proposed constitution written under supervision of the military and set to go before the public in a Aug. 7 referendum."

He slammed the charter as a step backwards, called the charter a democracy in retreat, weakened people power and risks conflict. These are quotes from Ahbisit and very similar to Wattana charter criticism. The detention and harassment are selective or you too blind to see.

What they are all saying which you refer as the other path seem to harmonize with the universal values of freedom, equality and justice and you seem to disagree.

He slammed the charter as a step backwards, called the charter a democracy in retreat, weakened people power and risks conflict. These are quotes from Ahbisit and very similar to Wattana charter criticism. The detention and harassment are selective or you too blind to see.

What they are all saying which you refer as the other path seem to harmonize with the universal values of freedom, equality and justice and you seem to disagree.

How do you know that Ahbisit didn't get a visit by the authorities and he agreed to keep his mouth shut, same goes for the rest, you have no idea, all we know for sure is that Wattana refuses to comply, wasn't he one of the ones that cheered when the kids were blown up in Trat by a grenade

Change the record, you're as predictable as the dawn light.

So one gets a visit, and the other gets summoned? For starters the press follow Abhisit every where, they monitor pretty much what he says and does, and almost certainly word would have got out he had a visit from the Junta, and they'd have also said they did so to, never passing an opportunity to tell everyone they're awesome.

How do you know that Ahbisit didn't get a visit by the authorities and he agreed to keep his mouth shut, same goes for the rest, you have no idea, all we know for sure is that Wattana refuses to comply, wasn't he one of the ones that cheered when the kids were blown up in Trat by a grenade

Clutching at straw and diversion as usual. You really has no point to make. Ahbisit made his first statement slamming the charter as risky on March 18. A month later on April 11 he again slammed the charter. Does it look like he was visited and agreed to keep his mouth shut? you don't think the media will lap up the opportunity to report something so significant? Well unless he received a personal Skype linkup like his pal Suthep.

Click like on FB = gaol.

Oh, no - not another falang Munchkin urging us down the yellow brick road. Don't you realise Emerald City is merely an illusion - and the scary Wizard just a little man with a microphone hiding behind a curtain?

Click like on FB = gaol.

All societies have limits on freedom of speech--you can't yell fire in a crowded theater and things like that. Most people agree that broad limits are necessary, but there will always be some debate on exactly how broad.

Autocracies, such as Thailand's current government (there's a better word for it, but since we don't have freedom of speech here...) severely restrict freedom of expression to obstruct the exchange of information and ideas. That is what the junta is doing.

"what they are not allowed to do is distort its content or create a protest group and take to the streets"

Refresh my memory; did you object to Suthep's protests?

"A lot of people are going to lose their theiving ability"

But not the military, the junta will ensure that the general's source of wealth remains undisturbed. Your blind defense of the junta is sad; are you incapable seeing what is going on around you, or just incapable of admitting you're wrong?