Farang Website Designers

Cigarette Burn

Try contacting Rikpa! He might do it for fun, but the guy is busy in Wallstreet.........

Do try to PM him.... He's not just brillian in programming, but he's also a great dude. He's very easy going, easy to talk too and of course, very professional!

Edited by GracelessFawn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, if you get clients willing to pay 30 000 bht, that is great for you.

Hmm, now this I disagree with - our smallest paying site cost about twice that amount. A very basic site can go for 30,000 Baht but not much else - if you want a professional job done, that is.

Edited by dantilley

I was conned in the U.S. by someone who came very highly recommended.

Paid the guy upfront, and it took 4 months for him to get up the Vbul and one banner add. On top of it, he did a shady job making a logo for me.

The site doesn't look so hot, and becuse of the way it was made, it doesn't com up in searches.

Anyone able to offer a good deal to a poor Yank? :o My site is in my sig, though there's 5 URLs that lead to different areas of the site.

(yes I know I need a blog as well and am hoping to add one once the site is fixed.)

See the "USD" right after where it said 35k?

No, didn't think so.

quite correct.... I didn't see one next to the 1k max either... I shall scrutinise more closely in future looking for any obvious refences to USD when we are in Thailand and usually quote in THB

HA HA

:o

Not sure why you're all making too much a big deal out of SEO - A well designed site shouldn't really need it.

One problem a friend had with his company that started up a SEO dept was that if you optimise a site with a specific search engine in mind and charge a client for it, the minute that search engine re-evaluates how pages are ranked all efforts (and the clients cash) have just been thrown down the toilet. And search engines do this frequently for the sole reason keeping on top of the SEO guys frigging the systems.

Follow the W3C guidelines and stay away from Flash unless it's genuinely necessary, and your site should do a fairly good job of climbing up those SERP's naturally.

Well this is a weird thread, with spot the undercurrents, a game for all the family.

To be serious, if someone wants a website, there is little need for 'designers' and 'code jockeys' for the majority of applications. As an example, go to http://www.wordpress.org and spend a little time reading. Note that although this is a blog program it now has a feature providing pages.

With a host which provides fantastico scripts it's a 30 second job to commission, if not as shown on the site about 5 minutes. Once in place there are, literally thousands of styles and formats which can be applied without any knowledge of html and css &tc. There are 'plug-ins', all free, to allow even greater customisations.

In realistic terms, with about an hour reading and playing, I respectfully suggest that an individual would be able to set up a basic functioning W3 compliant site into which they could enter their text.

The irony here is that I can, and do design complex web based system {and have been programming for more than 30 years} but for a 'web site' WP is a very usable alternative to the 'designer' route, with the added advantage of remaining under the 'owner's' control.

Oh and it's free!

Go on, invest an hour with a cup of coffee [insert beverage of choice] and maybe you'll surprise yourself.

Regards

MiscSection.com is coming up for me - same same

Huh? You said your site was in your sig, so I went to bkkfighter.com which is down right now... Which site are you actually referring to?

Same site, just brings you into a different subsection of the forum

Not sure why you're all making too much a big deal out of SEO - A well designed site shouldn't really need it.

SEO work is a billion dollar industry.. you’re telling me designers "shouldn't really need it"?

A test was done recently to check if valid code ranked higher than non valid code, the non-valid site actually ranked higher on google under controlled conditions.

There are simple things that designers can do to optimize their pages for specific key words in order to gain higher search engine ranks... for example, keyword distribution, underlining/bold keywords, alt tags, page layout, simplifying tables to allow bots to read and rank the sites higher etc, the list goes on.

The design of the site needs to be altered according to content, on each and every page.

Most of the work needed to gain high results is based on incoming links, that’s how google calculates PR, and there is also an entire quite complex system that a good designer will follow.

The fact that major search engines change their algorithms is of no great consequence, as prior warning is usually given, and it usually has no effect on any on-page SEO work that has been done.

Any designer that you hire should have this knowledge, and be proficient in at least getting on-page optimization work done, usually, unless you pay a lot of money for specific SEO services, off-page work is left up to the site owner. Your advice to simply ignore SEO work is a great recipe to have your site sit at the bottom of rankings, and if you’re wanting to make money, rather obviously, that’s not a good thing.

A good site is already SEO.

A bad site will try to cheat and hire 'SEO-companies', as described above, and get shafted every algoritm-update.

So true. SEO is over rated IMHO. Basically if a site provides useful content or services then people will use it, link to it and its ranking will go up. If a site sucks then no amount of SEO voodoo will help it. The search engines provide enough tips that most people can do their own without paying a consultant.

For most 'normal' websites, you can get excellent bang for your buck by making use of one of the many free open source content management systems, many of which are now quite mature and solid.

That way you can spend your money developing some quality content or getting a good designer to customise the look and feel the way you want it, instead of paying someone to develop something from scratch.

Edited by Crushdepth

SEO work is a billion dollar industry.. you’re telling me designers "shouldn't really need it"?

A test was done recently to check if valid code ranked higher than non valid code, the non-valid site actually ranked higher on google under controlled conditions.

There are simple things that designers can do to optimize their pages for specific key words in order to gain higher search engine ranks... for example, keyword distribution, underlining/bold keywords, alt tags, page layout, simplifying tables to allow bots to read and rank the sites higher etc, the list goes on.

The design of the site needs to be altered according to content, on each and every page.

Most of the work needed to gain high results is based on incoming links, that’s how google calculates PR, and there is also an entire quite complex system that a good designer will follow.

The fact that major search engines change their algorithms is of no great consequence, as prior warning is usually given, and it usually has no effect on any on-page SEO work that has been done.

Any designer that you hire should have this knowledge, and be proficient in at least getting on-page optimization work done, usually, unless you pay a lot of money for specific SEO services, off-page work is left up to the site owner. Your advice to simply ignore SEO work is a great recipe to have your site sit at the bottom of rankings, and if you’re wanting to make money, rather obviously, that’s not a good thing.

Reckon you took my quote a bit out of context there. I said "A well designed site shouldn't really need it", not that designers shouldn't really need it.

The type of "well designed site" was one you went on to describe, and I summarised in the last paragraph of my original post.

Reckon you took my quote a bit out of context there. I said "A well designed site shouldn't really need it", not that designers shouldn't really need it.

The type of "well designed site" was one you went on to describe, and I summarised in the last paragraph of my original post.

A well designed site shouldn't really need it, but a well designed site already has it?

A well designed site shouldn't really need it, but a well designed site already has it?

Yes :o

Yes :o

Glad we cleared that little matter up :D

Hmm, now this I disagree with - our smallest paying site cost about twice that amount. A very basic site can go for 30,000 Baht but not much else - if you want a professional job done, that is.

Well I visited the site that is your bio, http://www.aidsrilanka.org/, at least , and that have to be noticed, my eyes were not hurt, the computer was not frozen, nor I got any javascript error pop up.

I did not bother to check the W3C complinat(?), but I do believe that site should also be clean regording that.

Okie at least someone who can do a correct work :o

Now, what is that work ?

A bunch of static page (amybe with data coming from a DB, but anyway as data are raw text and pics, there is not 'state of art' involved) that could have been realized with dreamweaver, frontpage or eventualy with swish (for the afficionados of flash movies ).

Tell me you sell that for 30 000 bht? I am ready to believe it, but I still think it's overpriced, and the client who bought it for 30 K could have get it for 10 K in RAC or scriptlance (with the very same quality). Now the advantage to use you are obviously not here (the site itself) but more in the fact if you are a respectable society, you will be offer maintenance, guide the lcient in case he/she need to improve or change ... RAC is one shoot only, coders disppear after a while.

So, maybe should I have precised more what I was saying. The main stream of sites that I got in my PM (wonder why people send me link to their sites while I say I do not do that) are an abomination : at least 10 javascript pop up errors (people who can use JS should not use it, simply), art work looking like a Tanguy, Picasso, Chagal or Dali paints (mean after 10 mn it's headhache). When I hear that wonder was made by a professional using Front page, I scream.

I also agree on : a professonal have a cost. I do consider myself as a professional, and yes there is a cost to hire my services, maybe at the end highter than yours (mostly I am btw 50 and 100$ per hour for the freelance work I do, it mean working in RAC only the week end I get 1grand or more every month), but it's not at all related to HTML (and here , even a site cool like the one you show is in fact only raw HTML generated by an simple .asp script that is here just to justify the cost but is not needed at all).

I do know the difference well, my week is doing shitty work like that (it pay my living expenses). During the week end only I earn my money because I sell my skills, no my proficiency in some softwares such those I named earlier.

Well I visited the site that is your bio, http://www.aidsrilanka.org/, at least , and that have to be noticed, my eyes were not hurt, the computer was not frozen, nor I got any javascript error pop up.

I did not bother to check the W3C complinat(?), but I do believe that site should also be clean regording that.

Now, what is that work ?

A bunch of static page (amybe with data coming from a DB, but anyway as data are raw text and pics, there is not 'state of art' involved) that could have been realized with dreamweaver, frontpage or eventualy with swish (for the afficionados of flash movies ).

Tell me you sell that for 30 000 bht? I am ready to believe it, but I still think it's overpriced, and the client who bought it for 30 K could have get it for 10 K in RAC or scriptlance (with the very same quality). Now the advantage to use you are obviously not here (the site itself) but more in the fact if you are a respectable society, you will be offer maintenance, guide the lcient in case he/she need to improve or change ... RAC is one shoot only, coders disppear after a while.

Thank you for your comments, but actually that Air Sri Lanka site is nothing to do with the company I work for here, but a small side-line site that I made in my spare time for some good friends of mine who set up a tsunami charity in Sri Lanka. I didn't charge for it, it was all set up for free as a favour.

Because it's a charity site and just a small(ish) personal one I did myself, that's why I stuck it in my personal profile.

Now, what is that work ?

Thank you for your comments, but actually that Air Sri Lanka site is nothing to do with the company I work for here, but a small side-line site that I made in my spare time for some good friends of mine who set up a tsunami charity in Sri Lanka. I didn't charge for it, it was all set up for free as a favour.

Because it's a charity site and just a small(ish) personal one I did myself, that's why I stuck it in my personal profile.

O okie :D

Let say in my opinion (that is only an opinion, not a judgment) mostly people who need a site are in fact looking for something of the size/complexity/technicity of that site. I am glad you agree with me is a small site, so are you up to pay 30 k bht for it, or maybe more than 30 k bht? It was my point in fact, mostly people looking for a website who post here are looking something simple, and I think it's misleading them to offer something over pricezed and over sized (such as an oracle DB for a tatooshop in Bkk ... real exemple!).

anyone able to comment on what it would cost to re-do bangkokbodybuilding.com to make it easier on the eyes and make it have a front page so it will come up on searches better?

MiscSection.com and 2-3 other urls all lead into subsections of the main site, but bangkokbodybuilding.com wasn't supposed to be the master site from the begining. I know nothing of web design, and for that, was completely taken for far too much money already.

I paid a company in the US, while living there, upfront and got ripped off. Live and learn, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

O okie :o

Let say in my opinion (that is only an opinion, not a judgment) mostly people who need a site are in fact looking for something of the size/complexity/technicity of that site. I am glad you agree with me is a small site, so are you up to pay 30 k bht for it, or maybe more than 30 k bht?

OK, well the Aid Sri Lanka site has a very basic design, one that I just knocked together myself rather than by a professional graphic designer, no real special or complex features and only one page with any Flash content. I think it's quite tidy, but nothing that a fair sized company who wants to project a professional image of themselves would want to use. Certainly it's apparent that it was made by a single person in their spare time (i.e. me!) so I'd probably say that for another freelancer over here in Bangkok to do it, about 25,000 - 30,000 would be a fair price.

It was my point in fact, mostly people looking for a website who post here are looking something simple, and I think it's misleading them to offer something over pricezed and over sized (such as an oracle DB for a tatooshop in Bkk ... real exemple!).

That's true - anyone who needs a serious, large web site probably wouldn't go searching for their agency to do it on ThaiVisa...

Edited by dantilley

anyone able to comment on what it would cost to re-do bangkokbodybuilding.com to make it easier on the eyes and make it have a front page so it will come up on searches better?

MiscSection.com and 2-3 other urls all lead into subsections of the main site, but bangkokbodybuilding.com wasn't supposed to be the master site from the begining. I know nothing of web design, and for that, was completely taken for far too much money already.

I paid a company in the US, while living there, upfront and got ripped off. Live and learn, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Well, it's vBuletin based, so it mean no or a very little of coding and only a good design job.

It's purely art, so the price will be more about feelings (you love, you dislike), and can be varied, on the other hand, check also the templates sites , sometiems you can get wonder for nothing or near to nothing.

A front page is not necessary, there is another way to bypass the .php problem : you simply create a static copy of your forum where all internal links will point to thereal forum. Go to phpbb website, check their forum, they explan clearly how to do it, and what are the advantages of that method in case of SEO concerns. MAybe the same patch exist for vBuletin, in that case you simply have to apply it.

hope it help

As per useal

A basic question regarding internet websites,gets techy types pooring anagrams and other tech language out to the masses,

My expereience of webdesign is just as this forum subject is turning out to be.

:o:D:D:D

If a webdesigner or whatever they prefer to call themselves was able to simply answear questions in a simple format we non techy customers and you qualified Tech types would be much better off.

for eg :I wish to be able to have a shopping cart feature on my site can you do it?

Yes or no would suffice with price also being told,However normally you will get 5-15minsof tech talk that leaves me glassyeyed and wondering why im not in a pub or at work

Im happy with my current webjockey as he is skilled to the point of not having to inform me of every piece of code or subzammo sytem needed.He also gives good old customer service :D

My point is be aware of those trying to baffle with you with BS the more they talk the less they normallyknow.

Also pay what your budget allows and expect to get what you pay for..leave the work to the proffessionals unless your site is just a bit of fun

As per useal

A basic question regarding internet websites,gets techy types pooring anagrams and other tech language out to the masses,

My expereience of webdesign is just as this forum subject is turning out to be.

:o:D:D:D

If a webdesigner or whatever they prefer to call themselves was able to simply answear questions in a simple format we non techy customers and you qualified Tech types would be much better off.

for eg :I wish to be able to have a shopping cart feature on my site can you do it?

Yes or no would suffice with price also being told,However normally you will get 5-15minsof tech talk that leaves me glassyeyed and wondering why im not in a pub or at work

Im happy with my current webjockey as he is skilled to the point of not having to inform me of every piece of code or subzammo sytem needed.He also gives good old customer service :D

My point is be aware of those trying to baffle with you with BS the more they talk the less they normallyknow.

Also pay what your budget allows and expect to get what you pay for..leave the work to the proffessionals unless your site is just a bit of fun

Totally agree about the tech wording who mean nothing.

Anyway a coder language is hardly understood by others, worst sometimes tech wording is confusing , a good exemple is the famous xml parser who design 2 piece of softwares totally different and doing 2 different things.

I usually ask my clients to tell in layman language what they want, then I do what seems to be the closest of what they describe, and then we do correct if necessary ( exemple with your cart, I will let you enter the price WITHOUT VAT, the program will calculate the VAT and then disply that price. At that point if you think it's necessary you will ask me to disply both price, or ask to enter the price WITH VAT and let the the script calculate the one WITHOUT ....) no need to use tech language for that.

The worst case is to get a formal document so called specifications, written in pseudo tech language by a commercial trying to impress a prospect, it's what I hate the most. Because it's not clear, it's open to various interpretations, so waste of time and energy, and mostly the project will fail.

• 2 years later...
Have any of the forum members had any dealings with Farang website designers in Bangkok?

I am looking for someone to design and build a site for me and was hoping for some recomendations.

Cheers. :o

CB.

Hi,

Why looking for farang designers when Thai can be as good and cheaper?

I'm looking for Thai designer who can work on Drupal cms themes ( Ubercart e-commerce module ) and also for Thai PHP coders who can work on Drupal modules and do some PHP code.

I will report if I can find.

Thanks to contact me also if you know any good but cheap Thai company for webdesign and php / drupal code.

Bye.

aid sri lanka

I couldn't understand what aids ril anka was :o

Really, you can earn 30k baht for putting a site like that together?

Before you start i think the charity is sound and the website is good too... it just seems easy money..

Where do i sign up and get my first customer in Bkk?

Have any of the forum members had any dealings with Farang website designers in Bangkok?

I am looking for someone to design and build a site for me and was hoping for some recomendations.

CB.

oh dear just noticed BANNED

Edited by yabaaaa

CB.

oh dear just noticed BANNED

26 posts on this ol' thread are from the half-dozen banned members, in addition to the OP, who participated. :D