Retirement extension expired while outside Thailand

I recently return from emergency trip abroad, and upon return was admitted using a 30 day tourist visa.

What do I need to do, to now re-establish my retirement status. The required money has already been in the bank for 4 months, but it appears it will need to remain for another 90 days if I need to apply for another visa!

What visa type precedes the retirement extension, I believe it was an type "O" but can this be granted while inside Thailand on tourist visa?

On what grounds is the type O visa for?

Any other options.....

Thank you.

Thank you so much, I'm trying to leave Thailand but need some time to settle affairs, one year more than I probably need but many bureaucratic hurdles to jump.

Is there a list of Thai embassy/Consulates in countries adjoining Thailand where I can be granted the non O visa for a 90 day stay?

You people are doing an enormous service to expats in Thailand, your information is invaluable.

In order to qualify for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement you need to enter the country with a non immigrant visa. As you are already in the country you have a couple of options to achieve that.

1.) You leave and can get a single entry non 'O' visa from a Thai embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country.

• On re-entry you will be granted a 90 day stay.
  • During the last 30 days of that stay you can apply for the extension of stay.

OR

2.) You go through an admin process at an immigration office that converts your current entry to a non immigrant entry, followed by an application for an extension of stay. You may have to do it in Bangkok as very few other offices can.

• You need at least 15 days of your current stay remaining and it would require two visits to the immigration office.
    • On the first visit you pay 2,000 baht for them to process an application for a non immigrant visa for the purpose of later applying for an extension of stay. You will need to show the 800K min in your bank.
    • On the second visit, usually two weeks later, they will stamp a non 'O' visa in your passport that will immediately be used so they can also stamp a new 90 day permit to stay.

At this point, after two visits to immigration, all you have is a 90 day stay granted by a non immigrant visa, which is the same as having physically entered the country with a non immigrant visa.

• During the last 30 days of that stay you can apply for the extension of stay at your local immigration office.

Thank you so much, I'm trying to leave Thailand but need some time to settle affairs, one year more than I probably need but many bureaucratic hurdles to jump.

Is there a list of Thai embassy/Consulates in countries adjoining Thailand where I can be granted the non O visa for a 90 day stay?

You people are doing an enormous service to expats in Thailand, your information is invaluable.

The two recommended, application friendly, places are the Embassy in Vientiane, Laos or the Consulate in Penang, Malaysia.

• Like 1

You can get a single entry "O" visa from Penang(Malaysia) or Vientiane(Laos) but you would need to demonstrate your financial ability to meet the requirements of an extension of stay before the visa would be issued.

In order to qualify for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement you need to enter the country with a non immigrant visa. As you are already in the country you have a couple of options to achieve that.

1.) You leave and can get a single entry non 'O' visa from a Thai embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country.

OR

2.) You go through an admin process at an immigration office that converts your current entry to a non immigrant entry, followed by an application for an extension of stay. You may have to do it in Bangkok as very few other offices can.

• You need at least 15 days of your current stay remaining and it would require two visits to the immigration office.
    • On the first visit you pay 2,000 baht for them to process an application for a non immigrant visa for the purpose of later applying for an extension of stay. You will need to show the 800K min in your bank.
    • On the second visit, usually two weeks later, they will stamp a non 'O' visa in your passport that will immediately be used so they can also stamp a new 90 day permit to stay.

At this point, after two visits to immigration, all you have is a 90 day stay granted by a non immigrant visa, which is the same as having physically entered the country with a non immigrant visa.

• During the last 30 days of that stay you can apply for the extension of stay at your local immigration office.
  • Like 1

OK I'm leaving the country to get the non O visa 90 day, can you provide me a complete checklist of documentation required:

• my passport
  • demonstrate money to stay as per requirement, no problem for me.
  • maybe photo 4x6 cm

Anything else.

many thanks!

You can get a single entry "O" visa from Penang(Malaysia) or Vientiane(Laos) but you would need to demonstrate your financial ability to meet the requirements of an extension of stay before the visa would be issued.

OR

OK I'm leaving the country to get the non O visa 90 day, can you provide me a complete checklist of documentation required:

• my passport
  • maybe photo 4x6 cm

Anything else.

many thanks!

Take your updated Thai bank book showing a minimum of 800K.

You'll need 2 photos 3.5 x 4.5 cm.

If applying in Vientiane here is the application form. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa%20Application%20Form_new_V_13_8_2558.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you elviajero, download application! smile.png

I've never been to Vientiane can I get by speaking Thai or English, or is Laos - French required?

I presume English/Thai OK but not preferred!

• my passport
  • maybe photo 4x6 cm

Anything else.

many thanks!

Take your updated Thai bank book showing a minimum of 800K.

You'll need 2 photos 3.5 x 4.5 cm.

If applying in Vientiane here is the application form. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa%20Application%20Form_new_V_13_8_2558.pdf

Sorry but the photo size now required is 4 X 5 cm. I think that they are flexible about the size so long as the photo is not too small.

I think that size is for the Lao VOA. The Thai visa application size has not changed.

I JUST went through the same - coming in on a tourist visa when my former passport was stolen, thinking I could easily restore my non immigrant "O" and retirement visa. The officer at Jomtien immigration showed me a stack of forms I would have to fill out, most likely AT LEAST two trips to Bangkok, or give her 19k baht to take care of the whole thing. I gave her the 19k baht and about three weeks later I had all the proper stamps which ALSO included a multiple re-entry stamp.

Up to you.

Edited by quandow

AirAsia just sent me an email re flight to Vientiane. Not sure if this is direct or into udon thani and then includes transfers same as they do to koh Samui flying into Surat thani. In any event it was 990. Landing in udon thani and taking mini bus is go alternative. Sale on at present 490baht one way. Vientiane much nicer than Penang

OR

In another case...for the O-A Temporary Resident Visa, (needing reporting every 90 days), could a person not have the cash in the bank, and just show monthly or yearly income?

At the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa, Canada... they say this:

"A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than $ 25,000 or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of no less than $ 2,100, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than $25,000 a year and must be accompanied with a letter of guarantee from the bank stating the monthly income from a source such as a pension or other sources and the letter from the bank must be certified by a Notary Public."

So it seems there are various ways to fulfill the requirements... (sorry about the bold letters... the program..)

Edited by Catoni

I JUST went through the same - coming in on a tourist visa when my former passport was stolen, thinking I could easily restore my non immigrant "O" and retirement visa. The officer at Jomtien immigration showed me a stack of forms I would have to fill out, most likely AT LEAST two trips to Bangkok, or give her 19k baht to take care of the whole thing. I gave her the 19k baht and about three weeks later I had all the proper stamps which ALSO included a multiple re-entry stamp.

Up to you.

I always have high quality photos of all my important documents, including my passport and visa pages stored both on a couple of small USB Flash Thumb drives, (one so small and flat it fits in my good wallet.... I also have a "throw away, surrender wallet") ... and also stored in the Cloud (Google Drive).... just in case my passport becomes lost or stolen...

It helps to speed up replacement much more quickly when you can show them high quality photos or scans with all the numbers and other info... easier to track down all your info...

• Like 1

Thank you elviajero, download application! smile.png

I've never been to Vientiane can I get by speaking Thai or English, or is Laos - French required?

I presume English/Thai OK but not preferred!

You will get by just fine with English/Thai. Although French is still taught in some schools the language isn't widely spoken.

[snip]

OR

[snip]

In another case...for the O-A Temporary Resident Visa, (needing reporting every 90 days), could a person not have the cash in the bank, and just show monthly or yearly income?

At the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa, Canada... they say this:

"A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than $ 25,000 or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of no less than $ 2,100, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than $25,000 a year and must be accompanied with a letter of guarantee from the bank stating the monthly income from a source such as a pension or other sources and the letter from the bank must be certified by a Notary Public."

So it seems there are various ways to fulfill the requirements... (sorry about the bold letters... the program..)

Yes it's possible to get a non 'O-A' visa that gives a 1 year stay (with 90 day reporting) on entry, but the OP is already in Thailand and the 'O-A' visa is only available from your home country/country of residence.

Edited by elviajero

Sorry but the photo size now required is 4 X 5 cm. I think that they are flexible about the size so long as the photo is not too small.

The Vientiane Thai visa application and the Embassy website both still state 3.5 x 4.5 cm.

No need to leave the country.

Follow advice posted..by Elviajero

Someone also got taken when they paid 19000 fee...but up to you.

Should be 1900 for extension...

2000 for conversion to OA

1900 for extension of stay 365 days

Plus your choice of reentry permit

1000 single... 3800 multientry.

Sure helps if you have a good Thai friend to communicate with Thai Immigration.

I just did this and essentially the advice given by Elviajero is spot on.

Good luck

Edited by travelerjim

Up to you.

Ridiculous amount.

This thread has already explained how to do this by converting a 30 day stamp to a non-imm.

I do not understand why it was suggested that you would have to go to Bangkok.

Up to you.

Ridiculous amount.

This thread has already explained how to do this by converting a 30 day stamp to a non-imm.

I do not understand why it was suggested that you would have to go to Bangkok.

where is the conversion obtained if not bangkok

I was able to convert a tourist visa to a 90 day Non-O visa at Phuket Immingration. They said I had to wait until it had 30 days left and then I could apply for the retirement extension.

Up to you.

Smart man I would have done the same.

Good luck

Actually I think he got a good deal. Technically his "fee" was about 10,000 b. So he spent $300 to avoid the hassle of going to BKK possibly twice, maybe dealing with some obscure question or request by immigration, and now he has peace of mind.

Seems well worth 300 bucks to me.

I was able to convert a tourist visa to a 90 day Non-O visa at Phuket Immingration. They said I had to wait until it had 30 days left and then I could apply for the retirement extension.

Recently ?

Not really, that was 3 years ago.

Edited by Pakaty

Recently ?

Not really, that was about 3 years ago.

I do not believe Phuket now are able to do 'converstions'

Good luck

Actually I think he got a good deal. Technically his "fee" was about 10,000 b. So he spent $300 to avoid the hassle of going to BKK possibly twice, maybe dealing with some obscure question or request by immigration, and now he has peace of mind.

Seems well worth 300 bucks to me.

I agree, with one proviso. I would want to be sure all the stamps were genuine. In this case, there is a high probability they are, but I assume he does not have all the normal receipts to prove it.