Governor letter: Tourists need to obey Phuket laws

webfact

I'd like to congratulate the Governor.

After recently spending a few days R&R in Kata I was disappointed and embarrassed to see the generally low standard of foreigner behavior.

Walking through markets and riding bikes in bikinis or budgie-smugglers. Yuk. When walking head on to a Thai expecting the Thai to move aside.

Helmetless on bikes and feeling they had the right to proceed while Thais were waiting at stopped traffic.

Demanding first service in front of others.

Refusing to respond to a greeting from our Thai hosts.

Arguing every bill.

Not a very appropriate way for a guest to behave.

Thais get away with some things that we don't. That's the way it is.

But the most of this will never happen if:

1. You can rent a motorbike/car only with a valid international/Thai driving license. Like in the most countries!!!

2. Rasing up the fine for driving without helmet, on pedestrian, phoning, ... on minimum 2.000 THB.

3. Who drive again without helmet on the same day get his motorbike confiscated for one week.

4. Driving drunken on stop arrested and minimum 1 month prison.

5. .....

I am sure that this want help a lot about traffic death rate, accidents, ...

I'd like to congratulate the Governor.

After recently spending a few days R&R in Kata I was disappointed and embarrassed to see the generally low standard of foreigner behavior.

Walking through markets and riding bikes in bikinis or budgie-smugglers. Yuk. When walking head on to a Thai expecting the Thai to move aside.

Helmetless on bikes and feeling they had the right to proceed while Thais were waiting at stopped traffic.

Demanding first service in front of others.

Refusing to respond to a greeting from our Thai hosts.

Arguing every bill.

Not a very appropriate way for a guest to behave.

Thais get away with some things that we don't. That's the way it is.

But the most of this will never happen if:

1. You can rent a motorbike/car only with a valid international/Thai driving license. Like in the most countries!!!

2. Rasing up the fine for driving without helmet, on pedestrian, phoning, ... on minimum 2.000 THB.

3. Who drive again without helmet on the same day get his motorbike confiscated for one week.

4. Driving drunken on stop arrested and minimum 1 month prison.

5. .....

I am sure that this want help a lot about traffic death rate, accidents, ...

Your point 3. Is it true that you are ALLOWED to ride again same day if you've been fined earlier?

Your point 3. Is it true that you are ALLOWED to ride again same day if you've been fined earlier?

One of the truely bizzare regulations about driving in Thailand. Pay your fine and show the receipt at the next traffic stop and get indemnity for the day. The vehicle ashould be impounded for at least the day. longer would be better..

One of the truely bizzare regulations about driving in Thailand. Pay your fine and show the receipt at the next traffic stop and get indemnity for the day. The vehicle ashould be impounded for at least the day. longer would be better..

I disagree.This rule is one of the few that make sense. If you got fined for something you should be able to drive/ride home without paying for the same offence again or getting your vehicle impounded. Now if you break the same law again within X amount of time. X being say a year, then the penalty should be more severe.

I disagree.This rule is one of the few that make sense. If you got fined for something you should be able to drive/ride home without paying for the same offence again or getting your vehicle impounded. Now if you break the same law again within X amount of time. X being say a year, then the penalty should be more severe.

So let's see - if no helmet then you can ride the rest of the day with no helmet ?

If you have no DL then you can ride the rest of the day with no DL ?

Ridiculous ..

Edited by LivinginKata

Thai's don't follow the law. Why should the tourists?

Because Tourists should know better, and should set an example for others to follow. If we started to disobey the law as in the same fashion as the Thais, essentially we are no better, and are adding to the problem. The law is the law, and that is it !

Human beings, viewed as behaving systems, are quite simple. The apparent complexity of our behavior over time is largely a reflection of the complexity of the environment in which we find ourselves - Herbert Simon