Last call for Korat buffalo farmer struck by lightning

webfact

Last call for Korat buffalo farmer struck by lightning

buff.jpg
Image: Daily News

KORAT:-- A man tending buffaloes was struck by lightning and killed as he used his mobile phone in a Nakorn Ratchasima field on Tuesday.

Pak Thongchai police found 43 year old farmer Somjit Kapmuangpak with burn marks on his chest and ear - along with a mobile phone whose battery had exploded, according to Daily News.

The victim's elder brother Somkhuan, 48, told police that Somjit was tending some thirty buffalos in the middle of the field in Ban Na Kae.

He was wet from torrential rain and was using his phone at the time when a lightning bolt flattened him.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-04

I feel sorry for the farmer as a farmer myself.

Getting zapped by lightening is a risk for those working outside.

Years ago when ranching in South America the horses being rode would take off and let nothing stand in their way if a storm was breaking. If near a fence or brush you hung on for dear life and went where the horse wanted to go.

Storms - that's why metal cow bells were stopped and people have gone back to the wooden bell in many countries.

Most farm animals have more / better sense than to seek shelter from thunderstorm under a tree in middle of a field. Its too bad many humans are not as aware of the danger of and are killed by lightening every year.

I have seen the after effect of a heard of cattle standing near wire fencing which was struck by lightening, it left 14 dead. There were another 20 who were unharmed so they must have latecomers or smarter than the others.

I would think anyone with a mobil phone would be aware of potential danger of thunderstorm and not use any device like this, with lightening in the immediate area.

Edited by slapout

I would think anyone with a mobile phone would be aware of potential danger of thunderstorm and not use any device like this, with lightening in the immediate area.

Yes definitely part of the International Buffalo Farmer curriculum.

I would think anyone with a mobile phone would be aware of potential danger of thunderstorm and not use any device like this, with lightening in the immediate area.

Sick of all the sad news. Going out for a beer and some wings. Who wants to come ?

Sick of all the sad news. Going out for a beer and some wings. Who wants to come ?

The farmer only needs a beer

He got his wings the other day

Most farm animals have more / better sense than to seek shelter from thunderstorm under a tree in middle of a field. Its too bad many humans are not as aware of the danger of and are killed by lightening every year.

I have seen the after effect of a heard of cattle standing near wire fencing which was struck by lightening, it left 14 dead. There were another 20 who were unharmed so they must have latecomers or smarter than the others.

I would think anyone with a mobil phone would be aware of potential danger of thunderstorm and not use any device like this, with lightening in the immediate area.

The mobile phone had little to do with it. Your first reflections of the danger under a tree or a single target in a field or near an "earthy" fence wire ARE relevant.

He might as well have simply had his hand on his ear. The metals' conductivity was irrelevant considering the bizarre strength and paths that lightning take and the exploding battery was part of the path.

A tower usually provides from its top, a 45 degree cone of footprint protection in the area below, except of course standing beside a tower. That's why I believe the phone was integral with his tower. Poor guy wouldn't have know what hit him.

Aside, the myth should be busted that its dangerous to use a mobile e.g. inside a house during a storm. But a land line phone; no way Hosea.

Just one more headline making light of the death of a Thai. Where are the mods when they are most needed? Metis, time to get off your ass and head over to the ThaiVisa offices and impose some justified suspensions.

Just one more headline making light of the death of a Thai. Where are the mods when they are most needed? Metis, time to get off your ass and head over to the ThaiVisa offices and impose some justified suspensions.

+ 1 It's really insane to make jokes about a person who died such a terrible death.

Where are the mods when they are most needed? Metis, time to get off your ass and head over to the ThaiVisa offices and impose some justified suspensions.

Mods are always at hand but we cannot possibly cover all posts on all topics on ThaiVisa.

If you find something offensive has been posted, please use the report function which will alert online mods to the situation so it can be dealt with.

We need your help to keep the forum running well, and to alert us to troll posts or other offensive content that needs to be removed.

wai.gif

Where are the mods when they are most needed? Metis, time to get off your ass and head over to the ThaiVisa offices and impose some justified suspensions.

Mods are always at hand but we cannot possibly cover all posts on all topics on ThaiVisa.

If you find something offensive has been posted, please use the report function which will alert online mods to the situation so it can be dealt with.

We need your help to keep the forum running well, and to alert us to troll posts or other offensive content that needs to be removed.

We are not talking about posters but the staff at ThaiVisa posting as "admin" or "webfact". You know that rather notorious group of men down south who, when not tending to their rather dubious business schemes, have been tending to write headlines that are offensive to those of us who do not have a neo-colonial or neo-sahib attitude towards Thais. My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek as I highly doubt any mod has any influence on the admin folks, only upon us rabble.