Nearly a tonne of drugs found in big Bangkok ganja bust

webfact

The United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) 2016 event that occured just 2 weeks ago from 2016-04-19 to 2016-04-21 marks the beginning of the end of the failed global war on drugs (despite criticism by drug policy reformers that it did not go far enough).

UNODC has figured out drug abuse is a symptom, not the core problem. They're getting a lot of flak for advocating decriminalization, lots of government bodies and private penal institution have their snouts in the trough benefiting from the "war".

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/truth-behind-unodcs-leaked-decriminalisation-paper

Edited by DrTuner

The United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) 2016 event that occured just 2 weeks ago from 2016-04-19 to 2016-04-21 marks the beginning of the end of the failed global war on drugs (despite criticism by drug policy reformers that it did not go far enough).

UNODC has figured out drug abuse is a symptom, not the core problem. They're getting a lot of flak for advocating decriminalization, lots of government bodies and private penal institution have their snouts in the trough benefiting from the "war".

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/truth-behind-unodcs-leaked-decriminalisation-paper

That's an excellent article. It refers to the "leak" last October by Richard Branson: Finally – a change in course on drug policy

Not too long ago there would have been vigorous debate in this kind of thread, and I'd be the outcast on the fringe presenting scientific information to back up my statements. It's good to see that more people have now opened their eyes and minds.

"Busts" like the one described in this news article show just how old-fashioned and closed-minded Thai authorities still are. They think that they are doing something great and look so proud to present the confiscated packets of dried plant material. The reality is that they look very silly as such police work is all futile and a waste of resources that could be better spent elsewhere, like solving criminal cases that involved violent crime. There is no evidence that the people arrested were engaged in any violent crime. Neither was anybody being harmed or forced to do anything against their will.

There should be more open talk about this, as it is taxpayers' money that are being heavily wasted.

I did a search on The Nation web site for "UNGASS" and there isn't even one mention of this major United Nations event that may begin to shape the future of global drug policy.

Edited by hyperdimension

Meanwhile the streets are awash with ice and yabba , Thailand would benefit if they could just move into the 21st century.

I guess that leaves out most of the world tell us one country that doesn't have a drug problem no 21rst century for any country

Holland is the country that is most successful in the "war on drugs".

The hash is legalised and hardly abused. Average age of the hard drugs addicts in the country is 50 (!), prisons are being closed or rented out to other countries (Belgium and Norway) to place their inmates. Traditionally the by far largest part of the prisoners in western countries are convicted for violating drugs laws.

The problem in Holland however has been getting smaller over the years. This, thanks to decades long policies of educating youth and socially controlling the addicts and by not giving in an inch to the organised criminals and by severely punishing corrupt officials and policemen. The "users are losers" concept works in all cultures. Integrated in schools, tv soaps, partying etc. The new problem is xtc (Holland is a big exporter). The fight against that appears to be very successful too.

Determination, dedication and perseverance are needed to fight the cancers of societies. I fear quite a lot of the boys in brown and of the people in the Thai justice system need much help in developing these qualities...

Pot users in Thailand do not face a long time in prison. Holland needed 20 years to be where they are now.

Do you remember the "free heroin" for addicts that didn't work out? Most of them exchanged it with coke, etc....

I've just recently heard of a foreigner who got caught with two ounces and that didn't even go to court.

The guy paid a fine and is a free man, no deportation, nothing.

Must have been the police intercepting the military's weed. Those two rival mafia groups have been battling for drug trafficking supremacy for over a hundred years.

Nonsense, Your Thainess.

Cannabis wasn't criminalized until 1937 when the Marijuana Act B.E.2477 [1937] was introduced.

Meanwhile the streets are awash with ice and yabba , Thailand would benefit if they could just move into the 21st century.

I guess that leaves out most of the world tell us one country that doesn't have a drug problem no 21rst century for any country

The hash is legalised and hardly abused. Average age of the hard drugs addicts in the country is 50 (!), prisons are being closed or rented out to other countries (Belgium and Norway) to place their inmates. Traditionally the by far largest part of the prisoners in western countries are convicted for violating drugs laws.

The problem in Holland however has been getting smaller over the years. This, thanks to decades long policies of educating youth and socially controlling the addicts and by not giving in an inch to the organised criminals and by severely punishing corrupt officials and policemen. The "users are losers" concept works in all cultures. Integrated in schools, tv soaps, partying etc. The new problem is xtc (Holland is a big exporter). The fight against that appears to be very successful too.

Determination, dedication and perseverance are needed to fight the cancers of societies. I fear quite a lot of the boys in brown and of the people in the Thai justice system need much help in developing these qualities...

Pot users in Thailand do not face a long time in prison. Holland needed 20 years to be where they are now.

Do you remember the "free heroin" for addicts that didn't work out? Most of them exchanged it with coke, etc....

I've just recently heard of a foreigner who got caught with two ounces and that didn't even go to court.

Yes I did say "decades" of long (persistent) policies. There are no simple and fast solutions to hard drugs problems. It is an ongoing struggle.

No way a person with two ounces can walk free. Provide a link on that. There is a way of fast justice/sentencing ("snelrecht"). Perhaps you are mistaken with that? But anyone with two ounces will serve time.

The "free heroin"-project, as you name it, is ongoing and working well. It is limited to (by now) about 70 users with Dutch nationality - during the first year quite some foreign addicts tried to enroll in the programm, they were deported -. The addicts in that project failed with all other projects and are seen as untreatable. They were perpetual criminals that had to commit crimes around the clock to try to povide in their habbit. By giving them "free" heroin which they have to take in the presence of the project medics (impossible to trade it), they are hardly criminal anymore and that saves society much much hassle: among others several hundred broken car windows in the city of Amsterdam per day (!). Over half of the "patients" in the project actually have regular (partime) jobs. Though I am not completely up to date anymore, I do know that similar experimental projects were set up in some German cities and in London and NYC. Untill a few years ago those specific projects in London and Germany were still running for about ten years and results were quite satisfactory according to the projectmanagement.

I cannot provide links here to information I used, but Google should get you very far in reviewing the Dutch drugs policy. The fact that the Dutch group of hard drugs addicts is much older than that of any other country and the fact that lesser and lesser people turn up in prison should invite to do some research on this. Forensic psychiaters from around the globe see the Dutch approach as a workable one at least. It does cost much though.

Letting people walk with several ounces of heroin or cocaine simply is untrue.

Edited by EricBerg

"Holland needed 20 years to be where they are now. " - I think you need to re-acquaint yourself with the hisotry of recreational drug use in the Netherlands before you make any further comments like that.

Instead of burning it, they could make good money by exporting it to Colorado.

No, Colorado is quite adept at growing their own. Believe me I speak from experience. Thailand could have had that market sewn up if they would have allowed "Thai Stick" to be exported instead of kowtowing to "the powers that be". Why have a population mellowed on great ganja, when you can have them reved up on meth.