Where do you get nutrition information for the restaurant food you eat?

Hal65

A trick I learned in the US was to look at a chain restaurant's nutritional information when going to a smaller restaurant that didn't publish theirs. Not perfect, but reduces the margin of error significantly.

I can't do that in Thailand because I don't know any Thai restaurant chains in the US.

For the health-conscious types: how do you go about approximating the nutritional information for the restaurant food you eat?

Thanks for the tip. PS: change starts one bite at a time. Drinking way more than I wanted to during every meal (water, not alcohol) changed my waistline big time.

Best stay in the US where all the required "nutritional" information can, you say, be obtained.

I would expect that Thai McD's. etc are comprised of much the same junk as can be obtained in the US.

Personally I just eat a well balanced diet mostly prepared at home and cannot be bothered with "nutritional " information when we go out to enjoy an occasional meal in a restaurant.

Best stay in the US where all the required "nutritional" information can, you say, be obtained.

I would expect that Thai McD's. etc are comprised of much the same junk as can be obtained in the US.

Personally I just eat a well balanced diet mostly prepared at home and cannot be bothered with "nutritional " information when we go out to enjoy an occasional meal in a restaurant.

Why are you even writing a post like this here? Are you just in it to pat yourself on the back?

Why are you even writing a post like this here? Are you just in it to pat yourself on the back?

Not being a "nutrition nut" I have no need of "pats on the back".

Some do, however, need to get a life ----------------- constant worry about "nutritional content" of food is bad for your health smile.png

Counting calories is the reason I have visible abs and you don't. Not even that hard to do, just takes some pre-planning.

Edited by Hal65

Counting calories is the reason I have visible abs and you don't. Not even that hard to do, just takes some pre-planning.

A ridiculous comment made by someone who most likely has a "beer gut" and who never visits a restaurant unless it is "drive in and take away"

I am not interested in your "abs" sweety so take them elsewhere.

I take that as a challenge. Want to post pics up? I will if you will.

No, you're too good for that of course.

Edited by Hal65

My thread buddy. I knew you would dodge.

Anyways this is about nutrition information for restaurant food, hopefully others won't get distracted by our quarrel and chime in.

Edited by Hal65

Good luck in your quest !

I am sure all the Thai restaurant owners will soon be posting nutritional information about their menus.

In the meantime you could try emailing the 5* hotel restaurants in Bangkok who I am sure will provide the detail needed before you would consider making a booking.

I know you're being sarcastic but regardless I wanted to apologize for earlier. No reason for me to call you out as I did and I can respect different people having different motivations when it comes to eating out :)

I have been counting calories in the past and got quite good at it, however without knowing weights of the foods you are getting its impossible. Just accept that it can't be done at restaurants and if you want to keep the calories down avoid pork, go for chicken. Go for extra veggies and less carbs. Seriously even when you prepare you food yourself like I do its almost impossible to have the right count.

Are you serious? Had a good laugh at the idea...you should visit one of the local street food markets...there you will get a good idea of the source of the restaurant foods...

I know that everyone should check how many calories and fat and sugar are taken per day but if, like me, you eat most of the time in "restaurants" like you find on every road here in Thailand it's impossible to check it.

Anyway, if I knew how they cook (I know but force myself to ignore it) I wouldn't eat anymore but I find it aroy and keep on eating it.

When I feel a bit fat, I reduce sugar (less Sprite, chocolate and Magnum Classic), drink more water and play longer with the dogs (more exercise).

I don't drink any alcohol beverage (no beer, no wine...) and I feel good.

wink.png

if you have a "modern" samsung phone it should come with an "S health" app that taps into fatsecret.com database (or i guess you can install via google play it if not). while it doesn't have a set of complete thai food data, it has quite a lot & you can add your own customized foods--a bit of googling will usually turn up nutritional info that comes "close enough" to the missing ones.

I have been counting calories in the past and got quite good at it, however without knowing weights of the foods you are getting its impossible. Just accept that it can't be done at restaurants and if you want to keep the calories down avoid pork, go for chicken. Go for extra veggies and less carbs. Seriously even when you prepare you food yourself like I do its almost impossible to have the right count.

Most of the calorie content in chicken is in the skin.

Perhaps more relevant is the purity of the constituents of the meal: I read in BKK Post that the pesticide/contamination levels of fruit veg - meat ? - (even that from the organic Kings Project gardens) is not well regulated.

I can't believe people don't wash with soap

And water all their vegetable and especially

Fruits with a skin. I have seen people cut a

Watermellon without washing it....all the

Pesticide contamination goes directly to

The fruit unless The outer skin is washed!!

l read that the skin of Rockmelon(Cantaloupe) is often covered with Salmonella bacteria.

As you say, if you cut without cleaning the skin, the bacteria then enter the flesh.

l use a scrubbing brush with soap on any Rockmelon that l cut up.

Plentiful rinsing with fresh water, after cleaning.

constant worry about "nutritional content" of food is bad for your health

so i eat out a lot, the question i ask myself each time is,,,,

how much MSG, how much oil, how much sugar, how much salt,

so should i worry, probably not, concerned yes,, prevention is better

than cure,, i don't like having to take medicines so i watch what i eat.

Next topic, eating processed meat is carcinogenic, statement by the WHO

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/03/report-says-eating-processed-meat-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/

post-141778-0-82931600-1462798316_thumb.