How much to pay maid?

Oink

dont pay minimum wage when its someone in your house, has to be a bit more

low wages cause resentment, turnover and make it more likely they will steal

i would give a flat 17k for someone around that much. if its someone just working outside in the garden it would be less.

So the extra 5 k is to buy trust and honesty? Apart from not seeing how that would work in any society, anywhere in the world, I think that 17k is OTT for Thailand.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would give a flat 17k for someone around that much. if its someone just working outside in the garden it would be less.

So the extra 5 k is to buy trust and honesty? Apart from not seeing how that would work in any society, anywhere in the world, I think that 17k is OTT for Thailand.

Let me guess you are living in Thailand on a disability pension or some other government scam? Employees treated in your manner will never be good workers.

If you want to keep good people you need to look after them. Even more so if they are also helping to look after your kids. Im sure most posters here have been an employee at some point. If your employer was dead set on only paying minimum wage age no matter what how long would you last? And would you do the best job you could? Or the bare minimum?

OB

That approach doesnt work here, at least not in my condo building. Pay staff higher salaries and they just smile more while they carry on stealing.

If you want to keep good people you need to look after them. Even more so if they are also helping to look after your kids. Im sure most posters here have been an employee at some point. If your employer was dead set on only paying minimum wage age no matter what how long would you last? And would you do the best job you could? Or the bare minimum?

When I was an employee I was paid about 8 times minimum wage for the (rich) country I was in. Why? Because I was doing a skilled technical job that required a great deal of intelligence (God alone knows why they kept me on smile.png ). Subsequently I became self-employed which meant I earned more for doing the same thing, but it's all down to supply and demand.

If I was doing an unskilled job that requires no brain I would not expect to be paid any more than any other unskilled brainless person, but I would still do a good and conscientious job. That sort of work ethic doesnt seem to apply here.

And if I was a thief I would expect to be sacked with great fanfare and prosecuted for my crime. Sadly here that doesnt seem to apply either: face is saved all round and the thieves leave with a bonus payment and good references, to promptly repeat their crime elsewhere.

Right. But if you were doing that (so called) unskilled job and someone offered you more for the same job you would prob take it right?

Probably, but why would anyone pay more than the going rate for a unskilled job? Unless there was some massive shortage of people to fill the role, in which case one would expect the going rate to be much higher anyway.

My point was that paying more wont necessarily get you a better employee: just a more expensive one.

Right. But if you were doing that (so called) unskilled job and someone offered you more for the same job you would prob take it right?

Probably, but why would anyone pay more than the going rate for a unskilled job? Unless there was some massive shortage of people to fill the role, in which case one would expect the going rate to be much higher anyway.

My point was that paying more wont necessarily get you a better employee: just a more expensive one.

I get you. We went through 4 before we found this one though. And we have been progressively paying her more each year. We think she is worth it and are happy to pay. The hassle of having someone new come in and all the trust issues etc is a big deal.

OB

The hassle of having someone new come in and all the trust issues etc is a big deal.

I can understand that. I wont have a cleaner in my condo at all. I just do it all myself and am quite glad of the exercise.

Some on this thread should be very very careful with what they write...

By stating that you pay your maid more the the minimum wage (minus cost of food and room)... you may end up being put in the same category as "those who brag about their wealth).

I would not dare to say how much I pay my maids ;)

Having said that, I agree with those who say that by paying your maid(s) (and staff, and driver, and captain, etc...) a reasonable wage, as well as being nice and generous to them, you gain long term trust, honesty, and they become like family. It's a nice feeling.

At the end, if they feel that you take genuine care of them, they take genuine care of you.

Some are with me since 14 years now, so I guess it is a good way to do.

Edited by gerry1011

Let me guess you are living in Thailand on a disability pension or some other government scam? Employees treated in your manner will never be good workers.

I wish! Excuse me if I pass on guessing what you are since it doesn't really bring anything salient to this thread.

Either way, the OP has gone MIA so unless he/she comes back and states if his maids duties include child minding, washing the Lambo, getting the shopping in, doing full laundry, family cooking and anything else beyond hosing down the dunny, washing the dishes, dusting and snoozing, there's little anyone can contribute beyond some casually dropping hints about their acreages and room counts. There's also a few who are probably paid some allowance as part of their employment package and can hive some of that off to pay for a cleaning lady. Like international schooling, when one isn't footing the bill, it's easier to pay top dollar for something that's subsidized.

The hassle of having someone new come in and all the trust issues etc is a big deal.

I can understand that. I wont have a cleaner in my condo at all. I just do it all myself and am quite glad of the exercise.

the OP talked about a "maid", you are talking about a "cleaner". as far as i/we am/are concerned our definition for maids or domestic staff is "housekeepers". according to your experience cleaners steal. our staff does not!

we leave our housekeeping couple sometimes for four weeks at a stretch alone without any worries. that's why they are entitled to top salaries as well as excellent perks. adding all up their total benefits exceed the benefits of two farang teachers in the boonies.

If the OP ever comes back and confirms if he needs a maid or a cleaner, another option is to use one of the professional cleaning services in Pattaya. Check for ones that have fully bonded staff as that indicates that the owner of the company is maybe aware of his responsibilities when providing complete strangers access to a clients stately home.

When I first lived in Naklua, I shared a house with a friend of mine and we inherited a live-in maid who was very, very good. It was my partner's live-in girlfriend that buggered up that good deal when her 'lady of the manor' attitude caused the old Mae Bahn to quit. On a few occasions since, I have used a couple of the maid service companies I mentioned before. It was never 'perfect' the first time since one foreigners idea of cleanliness will be different from anothers let alone from that of a Thai cleaning lady. We had to 'work' with them and after a couple of visits, the company always sent the same ladies whenever possible.

Edited by NanLaew

another option is to use one of the professional cleaning services in Pattaya

a friend of mine who moved last year to Pattaya used these services for several months. he was very happy with the service (dishes, cleaning, laundry). cost 700 Baht plus VAT per day, working hours 0900-1630 minus 1 hour lunch break.

a friend of mine who moved last year to Pattaya used these services for several months. he was very happy with the service (dishes, cleaning, laundry). cost 700 Baht plus VAT per day, working hours 0900-1630 minus 1 hour lunch break.

Can you give a name of the service your friend used?

Can you give a name of the service your friend used?

a few years ago we used the company too for marble polishing and sealing. manager and owner is a Thai lady, very professional, fluent English, all employees obviously properly trained and hard working.

company "Picobello",

manager Khun Tu,

phone 08 18 317 616

We pay 320 a day 8.00 to 16.00 she also takes a break at lunch time

Her main job is tidying and watering in the garden.....and she pops in and attends to the house when the sun is at its strongest.

We treat her with respect........as one of the family......

And she will get treats and presents when we go on trips

By the way...........we don't refer to her as a "Maid"......in my opinion that's a bit too colonial and demeaning

If we refer to her as anything its our valued......"Home Help"

I guess others have their own interpretation.....but that's OK with me also

by the way........... we don't refer to her as a "Maid"......in my opinion that's a bit too colonial and demeaning

If we refer to her as anything its our valued......"Home Help"

I guess others have their own interpretation.....but that's OK with me also

that applies especially when one of them, as in our case, is a male wink.png

but what they are called is irrelevant, how they are treated counts. after being with us for nearly 10 years we consider them belonging to the family.

All of the information above is why there will always be 3rd world nations....

Also, none of these maids that are getting paid 12,000 to 17,000 baht a month plus a company vehicle are paying one baht in tax.

When there are people with more money than they need, living in property that is far too big for them to take care of and can afford a lifestyle that requires hired help, you create the society that exists here. This wealthy society then demands that it stay that way so the down trodden get squashed underfoot by a government that is "put in place".

Then foreigners complain about the standard of how things are here, no one pays taxes, then there is no money for proper infrastructure and no pensions for the elderly. etc...

Bet the OP did not think this thread would end up like this....?

Edited by lonewolf99

Also, none of these maids that are getting paid 12,000 to 17,000 baht a month plus a company vehicle are paying one baht in tax.

When there are people with more money than they need, living in property that is far too big for them to take care of and can afford a lifestyle that requires hired help, you create the society that exists here. This wealthy society then demands that it stay that way so the down trodden get squashed underfoot by a government that is "put in place".

Then foreigners complain about the standard of how things are here, no one pays taxes, then there is no money for proper infrastructure and no pensions for the elderly. etc...

I agree. Having employed maids and home help is a bit over the top.

Instead I have a gardener come in twice a month to tend to the gardens. A pool boy once a week to tend to the pool and the local laundry comes by every second day to collect the washing.

lonewolf99, on 16 May 2016 - 13:33, said:snapback.png

a totally incorrect assumption. because they buy scooters, iPhones, make-up, lipsticks, skin whiteners, id est goods where the price comprises a high percentage of taxes (manufacturer, retailer, etc.) and last not least VAT.

a totally incorrect assumption. because they buy scooters, iPhones, make-up, lipsticks, skin whiteners, id est goods where the price comprises a high percentage of taxes (manufacturer, retailer, etc.) and last not least VAT.

People that do pay income tax are exempt from VAT?

of course they payVAT. who said they don't?

Then I would assume they are also liable for income tax?

look at the thai income tax table. basic allowances (married, one child, supporting parents) add up to ~11,000 Baht a month. now show me one Thai who pays income tax if he/she earns 15k/month.

Then I would assume they are also liable for income tax?

look at the thai income tax table. basic allowances (married, one child, supporting parents) add up to ~11,000 Baht a month. now show me one Thai who pays income tax if he/she earns 15k/month.

I am not in the least assuming you yourself would do this, but there are numerous threads on TV belittling the BIB for not enforcing laws. Yet perhaps you indicate it should be a menu of which laws should be enforced, and which can be ignored? If 15k baht is considered below poverty level and is not taxable as income, shouldn't the person claim their earnings and follow the legal process, even if it results in zero income tax payment?

I pay income tax and I can assure you Iam not exempt from VAT.

Edited by Don Mega

Too right I didn't. That is why I am keeping my head down facepalm.gif

For info. We used to pay GBP 10.00 per hour for 16 hours per week in the UK, with a smaller house. She was self employed so Tax and social security payments were her responsibility. We both had good jobs so it was a no brainer.

Our thoughts when starting this thread were to offer a Thai the opportunity of employment on a casual self employed basis, at an equitable rate, not to exploit anyone. People in Thailand have to work for a living after all. (Not my responsible if they do not fill in their Tax returns).

Also, Farangs on Retirement Extensions, cannot legally "Employ" a Thai in the legal sense.gigglem.gif

Oink