Where are the best/nicer places to live in Rayong?

siamike

My Thai wife & I (farlang) are considering moving to Rayong to live and I'm hoping to get some friendly suggestions on specific areas or moobons to look into, and also areas to stay away from due to flooding or whatever. We are currently renting a home in Bangsaen in an upscale gated moobon about 1 Km from the beach,... most residents here are Thai with a few farlangs mixed in; we would like to find something similar in Rayong or the surrounding area. Idealy we would rent first and buy later if we both like the area (this will likely be two different houses). We've made a few one day trips to look around, but haven't found what we're looking for just yet,...I'm hoping some of you locals can point me to a nice moobon, not too far from the beach and not too far from downtown Rayong.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Edited by siamike

^As above. Easter Star is the nicest housing in Banchang. Within easy reach of Rayong, (which is very congested with traffic these days). Rental starts around 30,000 / month for a decent 3 bedroom, 2-storey house in its own grounds. -To buy around 4 million+ TBH up. If you want more details, please PM me.

Edited by huangnon

Hat Mae Rhumpueng beach, which is split about 50/50 between Ban Phe & Taphong districts. Plenty of rental properties within 1km of the beach and a few gated estates on the beach. Rayong is a short drive away, 20 baht by songthaew. The beach is empty most of the week except during Thai holidays but fills up on the weekends with the Bangkok crowd. The beach does get full of rubbish, split between visitors and debris from the fishing fleets but it occasionally get's cleaned up by 'volunteers' from the big companies in Rayong. Go east out of Ban Phe, (you'll need transport although there is a songthaew service), and you have km's of empty beaches going to Laem Mae Phim.

Hat Mae Rhumpueng beach, which is split about 50/50 between Ban Phe & Taphong districts. Plenty of rental properties within 1km of the beach and a few gated estates on the beach. Rayong is a short drive away, 20 baht by songthaew. The beach is empty most of the week except during Thai holidays but fills up on the weekends with the Bangkok crowd. The beach does get full of rubbish, split between visitors and debris from the fishing fleets but it occasionally get's cleaned up by 'volunteers' from the big companies in Rayong. Go east out of Ban Phe, (you'll need transport although there is a songthaew service), and you have km's of empty beaches going to Laem Mae Phim.

I hear there is some surfboard suitable surf in the Rayong area, particularly during the wet season. Are the areas you mention near these "surfing spots" or is that another area?

My wife and I have discussed the possibility of a later move selling our Pattaya property and moving to a property in the Rayong area.

Ideally on a main beach road or close to the beach (tourist and local "traffic") for a business with enough room for a shop and a separate house on the same block.

Also not prone to flooding if that's possible given the above scenario?

wai.gif

Agree with Eastern Star in Ban Chang, Rayong.

We also rented for almost 2 years and than bought our house almost 4 years ago.

It's a nice area to live, a good number of foreigners and most of them work as opposed to Pattaya where many are retired or tourist.

I hear there is some surfboard suitable surf in the Rayong area, particularly during the wet season. Are the areas you mention near these "surfing spots" or is that another area?

My wife and I have discussed the possibility of a later move selling our Pattaya property and moving to a property in the Rayong area.

Ideally on a main beach road or close to the beach (tourist and local "traffic") for a business with enough room for a shop and a separate house on the same block.

Also not prone to flooding if that's possible given the above scenario?

wai.gif

There is a surf school on this beach, next door to purple haze Indian restaurant bar although in my experience the surf rarely is big enough to go surfing. I've been told that just east of Laem Mae Phim there is an area where you can surf, will ask an Aussie surfer mate the best places around here. We don't really get flooding here near the beach as they built a drainage system not long after I moved here although it washes away part of the beach in rainy season. Ban Phe gets flooding near Big C and it has been known to lift drain covers plus highway 36 between Thai Watsadu & Central Plaza in Rayong is another known flood area. There are some partially derelict town houses left on the seafront but prices for beachfront are getting expensive and will go through the roof if they build the high speed rail link to Bangkok as it would then be possible to commute there ( I hope it happens in my lifetime ...). It can be very cost effective to live here as cheap Thai housing can be found for rental plus as this is primarily a Thai holiday area you can eat and drink well without the farang price.

Thank you all for the valuable advice you've provided,...it's exactly what I was hoping for; now we have some targeted locations look into. :-)

The wife & I spent yesterday (Wed, 11 May) driving around several moobons located closer to Central Plaza, Rayong; Termsup Park Hill, Suan Walee Land Housing, and several others. We had high hopes for Pricha Village off 1001 & very near the beach, as my wife recognized the name 'Pricha' as having a good reputation in many other locations in Thailand, so we were surprised and disappointed to see another failed project with only a few houses actually occupied and many homes left as unfinished skeletons.

Mike

Baan Ekanaek is a very nice house park, at Hat Mae Ramphung Beach. Nice houses for rent and sale. Well maintaned garden, and swimming pool, friendly and helpful staff. Easy acces to Rayong city, by public or private transport. Weekdays very quiet, at weekends and public holidays the life is busy.

The beach in front of it, all mornings are cleaned up, by the diligent staff of the restaurant.

I am living at here from 2008, and satisfied.

Baan Ekanaek is a very nice house park, at Hat Mae Ramphung Beach. Nice houses for rent and sale. Well maintaned garden, and swimming pool, friendly and helpful staff. Easy acces to Rayong city, by public or private transport. Weekdays very quiet, at weekends and public holidays the life is busy.

The beach in front of it, all mornings are cleaned up, by the diligent staff of the restaurant.

I am living at here from 2008, and satisfied.

if you're interested, close to above can show you a house which has been left empty for years. it's next door to a Swedish friend with Thai wife and kids plus about 300m from the beach. it needs renovation and is a bit old fashioned, I have no interest in the property but my friend wished he had bought it the same time he bought his house 12 yrs ago. he thinks it can be bought for the right price if you throw cash at the Bangkok owners. another big problem here, rich Bangkok people owning property and leaving them empty.

as bogozy above says Ekanek has lots of places up for sale but same as I said for the above property it's old fashioned so you have to get it for the right price and dealings some of my friends have had with rich Bangkok Thai's they don't care if they sell it or not. come to Ban Phe then go east to Laem Mae Phim to see what this area has to offer. rent first, don't jump in feet first.

there is a Preecha development right at the west end of the beach and slightly back and there are some great bargains there but I'm not sure you would want to live there.

Edited by sandrabbit

A little late to this post. I live in Rayong city. I accully like it. Close the beach. I live on a nice street with nice neibours. Just down the street is a Tesco express and new 7/11. A nice pharmacy too.

Couple of mom and pop stores. The police station is down the road and have cop down the street. A brand new hospital and big park with exersice equipment and a ac library there. Imagration is in MAP ta put and are very friendly. 3 big malls and new Central. Big markets. Some pretty good restaurants also.the traffic can get bad sometimes as the main highway cuts through the city to Pattaya. Close to Koh Samet 20km to the boat in Bang Pae. Down the road there is a gated community with clone houses. I rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath house

for 6000 bt at month. All in all I like the area. No compaints.

• 8 months later...
On 5/12/2016 at 11:13 AM, avander said:

Mike,

I'm sure ppl would be interested to know what you settle on so if inclined please post back here when you do.

We've finally started to settle into our new home here in Rayong.  We both had to compromise on being close to the city and still stay somewhat close to the beach, which turns out is not so easily accomplished in Rayong as it is in Bang Saen.  We settled (for at least the next few years) on a home in Baan Suan Suk Siri Village, which is a relatively new moobon where most of the homes are under 10 years old,...ours is just under 5 years.  We both want to eventually move closer to the beach, but that's a few more years off.

Thanks again for all the valuable input,

Mike