Eager to heal old wounds, Obama to visit Hiroshima

webfact

Eager to heal old wounds, Obama to visit Hiroshima
By NANCY BENAC

WASHINGTON (AP) — Eager to heal old wounds and galvanize new generations, President Barack Obama this month will become the first sitting American president to visit Hiroshima, where seven decades ago the U.S. dropped the devastating atomic bomb that ushered in the nuclear age.

By visiting the peace park near the epicenter of the 1945 attack, the president hopes to reinvigorate efforts worldwide to eliminate nuclear weapons. But in a sign of the extraordinary political sensitivities attached to the gesture, the White House is going out of its way to stress Obama will not come bearing an apology.

Deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes said flatly: "He will not revisit the decision to use the atomic bomb at the end of World War II." Instead, Rhodes said in a statement, Obama will spotlight the toll of war and offer a "forward-looking vision" of a non-nuclear world.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who will accompany Obama on the visit, said no apology is expected — or necessary.

"The prime minister of the world's only nation to have suffered atomic attacks, and the leader of the world's only nation to have used the atomic weapons at war will together pay respects for the victims," Abe told reporters. "I believe that would be a way to respond to the victims of the atomic bombings and the survivors who are still in pain."

The U.S. attack on Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945, killed 140,000 people. A second bomb, dropped on Nagasaki three days later, killed 70,000. The bombings scarred generations of Japanese, both physically and mentally, but many Americans believe they hastened the end of World War II and saved countless other lives. Japan announced it would surrender on Aug. 15.

As for Obama's visit, the Japanese people are ready for this moment, seven decades in the making.

In a NHK television poll this month, 70 percent of Japanese respondents said they wanted Obama to visit, compared to 2 percent against it.

Survivors, especially, have long been waiting. The number of survivors who are recognized as "hibakusha" and entitled to medical assistance from the Japanese government was more than 183,000 as of March. Their average age is now over 80.

"The day has finally come," said 91-year-old Sunao Tsuboi, a survivor of the bombing and head of a survivors group in the western Japanese city.

"We are not asking for an apology," Tsuboi told NHK. "All we want is to see him lay flowers at the peace park and lower his head in silence. This would be a first step toward abolishing nuclear weapons."

The president's visit, at the end of a previously announced trip to Japan and Vietnam, has been widely anticipated since Secretary of State John Kerry went to the Hiroshima memorial in April.

Hiroshima Mayor Kazumi Matsui praised Obama's plan as a "bold decision based on conscience and rationality" and said he hopes the president will listen to survivors' stories. Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue said the president would "send a powerful message, in his own words, toward achieving a world without nuclear weapons."

Obama's call for a nuclear-free world echoes the message delivered by former President Jimmy Carter when he visited Hiroshima in 1984 and pledged to work as a private citizen "to eliminate nuclear weapons from the face of the earth."

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said it was "entirely legitimate" for historians and the American public to debate whether President Harry Truman's decision to drop the bomb was the right thing to do.

"But that's not what President Obama will do when he visits Hiroshima," Earnest said. "What President Obama will do is make note of the fact that the relationship between the United States and Japan has emerged stronger than anybody could have imagined back in 1945."

For all of the symbolism associated with Obama's visit, anti-nuclear groups said a powerful presidential message was not enough: The president who delivered a stirring call for a nuclear-free world in a Prague address during the first year of his presidency needs to use his last year to take more specific steps, they said.

The president should "use the opportunity to map out concrete actions the United States and other countries can and will pursue to move closer to a world free of nuclear weapons," said Daryl Kimball, executive director of the non-partisan Arms Control Association.

Kevin Martin, president of Peace Action, a U.S.-based group, added that Obama "will look insincere if his words espouse ridding the world of nuclear weapons while at the same time his administration continues its plan to spend a trillion dollars over 30 years to upgrade nuclear weapons."

The Congressional Budget Office estimated in January 2015 that the administration's plans for nuclear forces would cost $348 billion over the next decade. Others have said it could approach $1 trillion over three decades.

Obama's visit comes as the nuclear debate has been percolating in the 2016 campaign to select his successor, with GOP presumptive nominee Donald Trump floating the idea of allowing South Korea and Japan to acquire nuclear weapons.

___

Associated Press writer Mari Yamaguchi in Tokyo and AP researcher Monika Mathur contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-11

Good. He can apologize for Hiroshima and then stop by France on the way back and apologize for the Normandy invasion. Maybe he'll apologize because it was the US's fault that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I can't wait for the pictures of Obama bowing to Abe.

As I just posted in another thread, many Japanese are reading this meaning into his visit, that it is some sort of apology. It is not, but I expect the Obama haters to be all over him like mud on a pig on this. tongue.png

Seems pretty clear he is not going there to apologize. Did Japan apologize for Pearl Harbor, rape of China, etc etc? "We're very sorry. Sorry we lost". Some Chinese still alive suffering from biological weapons testing during war. Japan won't even acknowledge their existence.

Sounds fair, President Obama can lay some flowers and bow his head in silence for the victims of an event he had not to do with IF the thousands of murderous and vicious soldiers and their dependents lay a mountain of flowers at every POW allied soldier's gravestone and bow their heads.

Both actions are symbolic acts of too little/too late.

He should go there and move forward.

Good. He can apologize for Hiroshima and then stop by France on the way back and apologize for the Normandy invasion. Maybe he'll apologize because it was the US's fault that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I can't wait for the pictures of Obama bowing to Abe.

An apology is not on the agenda.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Seems pretty clear he is not going there to apologize. Did Japan apologize for Pearl Harbor, rape of China, etc etc? "We're very sorry. Sorry we lost". Some Chinese still alive suffering from biological weapons testing during war. Japan won't even acknowledge their existence.

Ahh, is that why some Chinese have difficulty crossing the roads and forming a civil queue?

Yeah its really terrible that this American President should go anywhere, do anything say anything. Perhaps while he is visiting Japan he could visit Vietnam, I am sure he would be impressed how the Vietnamese are looking to the future.

Yeah its really terrible that this American President should go anywhere, do anything say anything. Perhaps while he is visiting Japan he could visit Vietnam, I am sure he would be impressed how the Vietnamese are looking to the future.

He is indeed going to Vietnam later this month with a very big agenda. His pivot to Asia is gaining a lot of momentum this, his final year as he looks to make that an important part of his legacy.

If Clinton succeeds him as President that will continue. If Trump wins, that may all likely be dismantled.

Good that he goes to lay a wreath in Rememberance of the Civilians killed in the use of Atomic weapons. I like many kiwis despise them which is why we are still nuclear free. But yes the dropping of the bombs in my opinion was justified. It was to stop the deaths of many hundreds of thousands of Allied Servicemen . A probably many millions more Japanese. Obama is not kau tau,ing or apologising why should he? A wreath is not an apology . I am just back from Vietnam they do not forget but they move on. Laying a wreath is moving on. Just as the day Japan apologises they will see us all move on.

As I just posted in another thread, many Japanese are reading this meaning into his visit, that it is some sort of apology. It is not, but I expect the Obama haters to be all over him like mud on a pig on this.

In general, I detest Obama, but I think he is playing this exactly right. No apology, but sympathy for the victims of the atomic bomb. After all, Japan are now one of our closest allies.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Good that he goes to lay a wreath in Rememberance of the Civilians killed in the use of Atomic weapons. I like many kiwis despise them which is why we are still nuclear free. But yes the dropping of the bombs in my opinion was justified. It was to stop the deaths of many hundreds of thousands of Allied Servicemen . A probably many millions more Japanese. Obama is not kau tau,ing or apologising why should he? A wreath is not an apology . I am just back from Vietnam they do not forget but they move on. Laying a wreath is moving on. Just as the day Japan apologises they will see us all move on.

Agreed, but I think it was also to send a message to Stalin that the US possessed a 'Big Stick', as Teddy Roosevelt would say.

Two atom bombs killed 130,000. Firebombing of Tokyo killed 140,000. Long term deaths atomic 210,000 as opposed to high end Tokyo estimates of 203,000. 67 Japanese cities bombed causing 500,000 deaths.

To put the number of deaths in context review the numbers below.

Deaths WW2

Russia (USSR) 26 million

China 20 million

Japan 3 million

UK 450,000

USA 419,000

Australia 40,000

Thailand 7,600

Ireland 100

Switzerland 100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties#USSR

Edited by Scotwight

I already have seen one picture. His head was 3 feet off the ground.

Has he been demoted to ribbon cutter the last 6% of his whatever?

Or is it all about the TPP?

Edited by wabothai

I dont think the Japanese emporer ever apologised,but i do remember something about Prince Phillip going over there years ago.My dads elder brothers were disgusted that they shook hands.But i suppose thats because my uncle Bill was a prisoner on the Burma march,and my uncle Fred was captured by the Japanese and worked on the Hell Fire pass.Nothing serious.

Patton realised that the Japanese would never surrender and that extreme measures would have to be taken to make them.

As Oppenheimer said "i have become death,and the destroyer of worlds."

I dont think the Japanese emporer ever apologised,but i do remember something about Prince Phillip going over there years ago.My dads elder brothers were disgusted that they shook hands.But i suppose thats because my uncle Bill was a prisoner on the Burma march,and my uncle Fred was captured by the Japanese and worked on the Hell Fire pass.Nothing serious.

Patton realised that the Japanese would never surrender and that extreme measures would have to be taken to make them.

As Oppenheimer said "i have become death,and the destroyer of worlds."

Patton had nothing to do with it.

The problem with Obama is that he is the President of the wrong country. No good being a great President in a country that only want a moron like Trump leading them. At least the rest of the world can appreciate he is trying to do the best for the US even if the citizens can't. But worry not America because in November you will all get a President you can be proud of!

"The day has finally come," said 91-year-old Sunao Tsuboi, a survivor of the bombing and head of a survivors group in the western Japanese city.

"We are not asking for an apology," Tsuboi told NHK. "All we want is to see him lay flowers at the peace park and lower his head in silence. This would be a first step toward abolishing nuclear weapons."

If only some TV members could be a tenth as noble.

History will show Obama to be one of America's greatest presidents.

The heat getting to you Jing? Or are you trolling?

Obama will rank below Carter in terms of 'greatness'.

Indeed...wink.png

Carter was pretty good too.

If only some TV members could be a tenth as noble.

Excellent quote.

History shows the only reason the big bombs were dropped on Japan was to prevent Russia from joining the fight in the pacific, piece of the pie.

Russia had finished off Germany and was poised to attack the Japanese.

The war would have ended very soon without the big bombs.

America did not want Russia involved in post war Asia.

History has already shown that the dropping of the bombs was to reduce American lives in the invasion of the main Island - Honshu.

It would have been a long, drawn-out slog to defeat the Japs unless the nukes were utilized.

The problem with 'history has shown', ideas is that history is written with hindsight and many excuses used to justify unjustifiable behaviour. The US had spent huge amounts of time and money developing the nukes and the leadership probably just thought it a great opportunity to try them out. See if they worked as advertised.

The problem with 'history has shown', ideas is that history is written with hindsight and many excuses used to justify unjustifiable behaviour. The US had spent huge amounts of time and money developing the nukes and the leadership probably just thought it a great opportunity to try them out. See if they worked as advertised.

Makes sense. Use new technology, save US lives, stop the war.

Well, I do think the question of whether the U.S. should have used nukes on Japan to speed the end of the war and save more lives than lost is a matter of legitimate historical debate. But I still don't think the U.S. should ever apologize for it. That's a can of worms not worth opening. Also keep in mind the enlightened U.S. policy after WW2 that instead of punishing the losers, both Germany and Japan were assisted by the U.S. and now both are major modern world powers (again).

The U.S. has apologized for the shameful internment of innocent Japanese American citizens during that war.

Another can of worms historical question is the "total war" bombing campaign on cities like Dresden. This was a policy favored by the British but the Americans came around. OK, that one is off topic! coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Two atom bombs killed 130,000. Firebombing of Tokyo killed 140,000. Long term deaths atomic 210,000 as opposed to high end Tokyo estimates of 203,000. 67 Japanese cities bombed causing 500,000 deaths.

To put the number of deaths in context review the numbers below.

Deaths WW2

Russia (USSR) 26 million

China 20 million

Japan 3 million

UK 450,000

USA 419,000

Australia 40,000

Thailand 7,600

Ireland 100

Switzerland 100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties#USSR

Just like going to the bars.

It is less expensive if you show up late.

and you have a better chance of bringing home the "prize".