Stop attacking tourists! Pattaya top brass and the "Care Bears" mean business

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A series of high profile attacks and snatches of property have been almost a daily occurrence at the resort.

I would have thought the occurrence to be rather more frequent that daily... and those are the assaults that get reported.

Not only closing of the bars for five years, but criminal prosecutions of the offenders would be a good start.

violence, mugging, etc. against tourists (i.e. foreigners) is one end of the spectrum. on the other end, is the general, everyday disregard and rudeness towards tourists (i.e. foreigners) for simple things like a plastic carrier request for takeaway beverage or request for more sauce to go along with food at restaurant (which, if catered to, is first accompanied with a very audible grumble and blatant roll of the eye). This whole disregard and seeing foreigners nothing more than "moneybags" who have been graciously permitted to enter and enjoy the fruits of the land but not seen as humans with rights and dignity is the root of the problem, which needs to be addressed. Take for example the "Thai Culture" courses that foreign teachers have to take in order to be able to teach in Thailand. This is totally acceptable and makes sense, however, with the sheer number of tourists and foreigners in Thailand (let's not forget: 2.2 trillion baht from tourism in 2015 alone), shouldn't this be a two-way street: Where Thais need to learn foreigners' cultures as well for better mutual understanding? Perhaps with this enhanced mutual understanding and increased respect towards tourists and foreigners as human individuals, we may see an overall decline in attacks on tourists/foreigners.

this is for the dumb backpackers. for some reason, people 25-years and younger have lost all sense of reality. they see this picture, and their mind changes.

education via instagram

oh wait, the kardashians said Thailand is safe

another round of idiots getting excited.

Rudy Giuliani; 107th Mayor of New York City; In office January 1, 1994 – December 31, 2001 was able to totally clean up New York City from drugs and crime, especially in the Times Square and Theater Districts. He did this by heavy policing, Big penalties for perpetrators, cleared out the homeless and vagrants, got rid of the steet hoodlums, subways patrolled and spread the word that he will not take any shit for doing that. That made that area, as well as much of NYC a far safer place to visit and live in.

They whole key is that the forces that be must truly be determined to do whatever is necessary to make Pattaya safer. Lip service and an occasional appearance doesn't do shit. All it becomes is a photo-up. My saying is "Don't tell me - Show me."

"When Thai police start getting western pay, maybe they will do it the western way."

I don't think so, unfortunately corruption is so ingrained into the police culture that improving their pay and conditions would be unlikely to stamp it out. The guys at the top are raking in millions of baht but it doesn't stop them wanting more.

Tourists love it

With all the warnings about Pattaya albeit

1) Involuntary flying lessons from balconies

2) The flasher Gold Chain run of death

3) The beach road Ladyboys Gauntlet

4) Walking Street ladyboy Groper thefts

5) Bar drinks laced with drugs

6) Beat to pulp if argue over bills

7) Battered senseless by 10 Thais if not agreeing to pay taxis overcharging you

If you can't take onboard these warnings you deserve your fate. This place is full of weirdos, perverts, murderers, psychopaths, trannys, queers, junkies, pickpockets and police bearing teddys as gifts !!!!

You've been WARNED !!!!!!

Is the rule of law so weak that the authorities have to beg their population not to attack tourists?

The answer to that is YES, that's exactly right.

Just curious, how many countries with major tourist destinations like Pattaya have so many, repeated attacks on their tourist guests that they have to publicly warn the locals to "Stop Attacking Tourists"?

You need a properly functioning, integrated judicial/police system to deter crime. Thailand, unfortunately, doesn't have one. The problem is a systemic failure of the system that requires a total review. It needs reform, as promised when the current government took power, but unfortunately nothing has changed.

All that's needed to end these assaults is for the police to lay the appropriate charges and the courts to hand out custodial sentences. 500 Baht fines are no deterrent.

Sent from my GT-I8552

Same same closure for 5 years, they'll just open under the wife's name or cousin Somchai's.

Bottom line....the message here is QUIT GETTING CAUGHT, FOLLOW THE KOH TAO EXAMPLE!

I don't believe that tourists, or foreigners generally are blameless. The behaviour of many, flaunting their relative wealth, paying for sex, and paying a lot more than locals are able to pay, drunken behaviour, etc., all create resentment in the local population.

Of course, there are the ladyboy attacks, taking advantage of/robbing/ assaulting inoffensive drunks, tuk tuk thugs, scammers, and a host of other Thai initiated crimes, but there are a lot of foreigners who bring it on themselves.

And no, I'm not a Thai apologist, but I am prepared to look at both sides of the coin.

I've just returned from Bali, and witnessed some of the most appalling treatment of locals that I could ever imagine. I didn't see reactions by locals, but would completely understand if it did occur.

What is this crap about shutting a bar for 5 years ????

Whilst there is the occasional story about security (bouncers/door staff/crowd controllers ...whatever you call them ) assaulting customers ..............there are far more stories about assaults / jewellery snatches/ ladyboy assaults on tourists that have NOTHING what so ever to do with bars or bar owners/managers.

If an assault takes place on walking street ...........which bar gets the blame and is closed down ?

How many assaults actually occur INSIDE a bar/nightclub etc ?? Very few to my knowledge .

In most of the civilized countries of the world, there is a bizarre legal concept known as a deterrent. It implies that there are sufficient legal penalties, and is levied by something foreign, called a justice system. Typically, there are substantial financial penalties involved, and prison sentences. That seems to be something that is only applied to the poorest folks here in Thailand. The ones with cash are completely exempt from the justice system.

If they were serious about fighting crime, they would find a way to reform the justice system, so that it was a decent, competent, less compromised system, capable to meting out punishment for those who are deserving of it. As it stands now, few criminals are scared or all that concerned about either the police, nor the courts. Impotence is not particularly scary.

In most of the civilized countries of the world, there is a bizarre legal concept known as a deterrent. It implies that there are sufficient legal penalties, and is levied by something foreign, called a justice system. Typically, there are substantial financial penalties involved, and prison sentences. That seems to be something that is only applied to the poorest folks here in Thailand. The ones with cash are completely exempt from the justice system.

If they were serious about fighting crime, they would find a way to reform the justice system, so that it was a decent, competent, less compromised system, capable to meting out punishment for those who are deserving of it. As it stands now, few criminals are scared or all that concerned about either the police, nor the courts. Impotence is not particularly scary.

True, it worked for OJ.

Lady justice is indeed blind in these 'civilized countries' and the wealthy are always treated the same as the poor.

Edited by HLover

violence, mugging, etc. against tourists (i.e. foreigners) is one end of the spectrum. on the other end, is the general, everyday disregard and rudeness towards tourists (i.e. foreigners) for simple things like a plastic carrier request for takeaway beverage or request for more sauce to go along with food at restaurant (which, if catered to, is first accompanied with a very audible grumble and blatant roll of the eye). This whole disregard and seeing foreigners nothing more than "moneybags" who have been graciously permitted to enter and enjoy the fruits of the land but not seen as humans with rights and dignity is the root of the problem, which needs to be addressed. Take for example the "Thai Culture" courses that foreign teachers have to take in order to be able to teach in Thailand. This is totally acceptable and makes sense, however, with the sheer number of tourists and foreigners in Thailand (let's not forget: 2.2 trillion baht from tourism in 2015 alone), shouldn't this be a two-way street: Where Thais need to learn foreigners' cultures as well for better mutual understanding? Perhaps with this enhanced mutual understanding and increased respect towards tourists and foreigners as human individuals, we may see an overall decline in attacks on tourists/foreigners.

Really??

Thai's should start learning the cultures from all the countries, or just yours?

So, if a foreign teacher is required to learn the Thai culture.

Wouldn't it make more sense, that tourists should do the same, vice forcing their culture on Thai's?

Anyway..

Your suggestion/ solution:

Thai's should learn the culture of tourist for they won't beat up tourist?

And the larger problem, stopping Thai's from rolling their eyes at you, when you request for extra sause and a plastic bag for your drink?

#Insane

You did get something correct..

It is a two way street!

Tourist should not assault Thai's..

And should not be indignant towards Thai's, even if they are to you..

Which they seem to be indignant towards rude jackass tourist only.

And very friendly to the majority of respectful and friendly tourist..

Tip once in a while, that might help out as well..

You'll get all the sause you want, plus a huge smile.. Not eyes rolling and that secret sause..

Edited by D3030

Yes that goes on all day long in Pattaya. Duh.

We all know who throws the first punch / or shoe in this town.

and everybody has a right to defend themselves.

The two week tourists know nothing. wai2.gif

Yes that goes on all day long in Pattaya. Duh.

We all know who throws the first punch / or shoe in this town.

and everybody has a right to defend themselves.

The two week tourists know nothing. wai2.gif

They know that 'everybody has a right to defend themselves' is not always true, xenophobia at its finest many times.

All that's needed to end these assaults is for the police to lay the appropriate charges and the courts to hand out custodial sentences. 500 Baht fines are no deterrent.

Sent from my GT-I8552

Not that easy. Court proceedings are very slow in Pattaya. It's taking me 3 months to see the inside of a court room on a case I'm pursuing.

From, "Hello Kitty" to, "Care Bears"!!!!

Can these clowns not stop embarrassing themselves to the rest of the world?

You can almost hear them thinking: "do we really have to wear these stupid uniforms to fool these stupid tourists into thinking we really care?".

Spend a couple of hours at Soi 9 police station to see how much they care. I saw a bloodied Farang in there one night who had been attacked and no one gave a shit. No one offered him any medical assistance. Not even a glass of water or anything to wipe the blood from his mouth.

I feel they are on the right track now. The same warning should be made for anyone who beat up the tourist for no reason. If they have done something wrong either in the bar, disco, gogo bar, etc or on the street they should call police to take care of the matter instead of beating up the person.

I feel they are on the right track now. The same warning should be made for anyone who beat up the tourist for no reason. If they have done something wrong either in the bar, disco, gogo bar, etc or on the street they should call police to take care of the matter instead of beating up the person.

And how long do you think it will take for the police to respond ?

cheesy.gif i cant stop laughing

and what next? stop scamming foreigner?

i think now they buit all these huge malls, thai people realize they need to fill them with family.... but too late, pattaya is the capital of crime of asiarolleyes.gif