Husky pays with his life protecting house from Cobra

webfact

I assume huskies have little inbuilt into their DNA systems on how to deal with snakes,a quick google search reveals there are 3 species of snake in southern Siberia, indeed a viper killed Prince Oleg,but there are none in the north.

In my experience dogs can be very useful regarding snakes.I remember one day walking around our farm with our dog and she just stopped and froze as we walked past an area of tall grass. She wouldn't stop barking or growling at the undergrowth,prowling constantly she wouldn't leave it alone, must have annoyed the snake no end, but she didn't dare go in. Still then we knew there was a snake there.

RIP to both animals, they were both doing what was natural, one hunting food, the other protecting the house full of other dogs..............as or the Huskies not able to survive the heat, if they were born here, they get used to it, they shed often, but can be clipped often as well to "teach" the fur to slowly grow back, I hd a neighbor that had four Huskies, all blue eyes and they seemed to be okay. The owners kept the fur short and took them swimming every day.

Who the hell keeps a husky in Thailand?

Guess you live in another thailand as me. Huskies are the most kept dogs in BKK i would say. They all want one, walk it for a week and after that it sits in the garden/house.

And there are plenty of snakes in Nonthaburi as well, also water monitors from 2 metre or more.

I've seen snakes in my garden, in the moobaan, on the streets, at the temples...they are everywhere.

I feel sorry for this dog for 2 reasons.

First it is dead and secondly, it has been suffering it's entire life in Thailand. This dog can live in the Arctic

yet some ignorant jerk has these dogs in Thailand.

I would like to send this jerk to Siberia for a year, without clothes and see how he likes it !!

When you mention ignorant jerk in your post, it may help you to research what a double coat mean to a dog............................thumbsup.gif

15 dogs in the house.....!!

Well.....there's only 14 now........

A Siberian husky in Thailand......my neighbour had one, but how do the suffer in this 40c heat?

If they are smart, and have decent owners, they do something like this:

https://youtu.be/DbJqM7xE0Vc

or this:

https://youtu.be/M1lfC0k6-k4

These two were about 1 1/2 yo when these videos were taken. They are a lot bigger now and still enjoy swimming..................wink.png. The Nan is a pretty fast flowing river, the reason i put in the second vid.

And for the record, they were born in Thailand, as were there parents and their parents before them. They thrive in the heat, even though they have been spoilled with their own air-con room by 'her that knows best'.

It was quite funny when they couldn't even find the Kolyma River Basin in Northern Siberia (birth place of the breed) in Google maps.........................tongue.png Clever dogs!

For all you know all know nothing crew the huskies handle it ok in Thailand. As stated they moult a lot more. We have 3 and they are ok. There dog pen is better than most peoples houses with tiled rooms and fans. They also have a wading pool in their large pen. They get to run around the property every morning for half an hour. They are happy and contented dogs. Dumb as house bricks but happy dogs.

My boy got tagged couple months ago and lived to tell the tale. I saw it crawling through the grass didn't realise it was a cobra till the bloody great thing reared up. I went for the snake the missus went for me and the dog got there first. Grabbed it by the head and killed it, one fang straight through the lip the other broke off in his jaw. I was devastated thought I would lose him for sure. Sat with him all night waiting for the end his head blew up like a football but he pulled through. Must of killed it before it got enough venom in him. Unfortunately the. Husky wasn't so lucky.

I feel sorry for this dog for 2 reasons.

First it is dead and secondly, it has been suffering it's entire life in Thailand. This dog can live in the Arctic

yet some ignorant jerk has these dogs in Thailand.

I would like to send this jerk to Siberia for a year, without clothes and see how he likes it !!

we have got a husky, too. We bought her because she was available here. She was born in Thailand - so do what? send her to the arctic?

Siberia has a continental climate. That means the summers are as hot as the winters are cold. They are prepared for hot weather.

Anyway if they were not in this country I wouldn't take them here. Also I am not sure if it is good to breed them here.

Huskies are well known for running away and killing animals smaller than them. Ours killed many snakes in our land, at least one of them a king cobra about that size in the picture above. She also kills rats and unfortunately cats if they enter our (fenced) land. The husky escaped a few times, so we had to pay for some fighting cocks...

The husky in the picture looks small, a puppy - ours is about 50 pounds.

For all you know all know nothing crew the huskies handle it ok in Thailand. As stated they moult a lot more. We have 3 and they are ok. There dog pen is better than most peoples houses with tiled rooms and fans. They also have a wading pool in their large pen. They get to run around the property every morning for half an hour. They are happy and contented dogs. Dumb as house bricks but happy dogs.

I know something about dogs, and while it is wonderful that you give 1/2 an hour of exercise, huskies are work dogs and need many hours of exercise in a mild climate. There is a reason why the dog has a double coat. it's natural habitat are climates that don't typically exceed 25C.

Huskies are an intelligent breed and if yours are dumb as house bricks, try obtaining them from a reputable breeder next time and provide more exercise and activities that stimulate them. Sitting in the heat wipes a dog with a heavy coat out.

Poor snake... I prefer snakes to MOST dogs... at least they do a job of eating vermin and they don't bark and howl all night outside my bedroom window.

We get a quite a lot on our land... seem several banded kraits and 'normal' cobra. Also python and very beautiful and harmless sunbeam snakes.

I have 2 small dogs of my own... and they are very clever about the dangers of snakes. If they spot one they will circle around it making a bark which I recognise by its pitch as a 'scary animals about' bark.

They know not to try and touch it of bite it.. just keep the thing in sight.

And have to disagree about people saying its cruel to keep a husky dog in Thailand. I know several people with them.. and they all are very happy lively dogs.. which don't suffer from the hot weather any more than any other dog. They loose a lot of the thick fur in the hot season.. and the owners also take them to the groomers to get a short hair cut. They love water and can cool off in an pond, ocean, or paddling pool.

After all, us Caucasians live here in the heat without too much problems.. and we 'evolved' in the cold climates up north.

I know something about dogs, and while it is wonderful that you give 1/2 an hour of exercise, huskies are work dogs and need many hours of exercise in a mild climate. There is a reason why the dog has a double coat. it's natural habitat are climates that don't typically exceed 25C.

Huskies are an intelligent breed and if yours are dumb as house bricks, try obtaining them from a reputable breeder next time and provide more exercise and activities that stimulate them. Sitting in the heat wipes a dog with a heavy coat out.

most of you who post in the pet section will know that ours is more intelligent than 80% of people that live on our mooban,and if you dont believe me COME AND ASK HIM.

re

Who the hell keeps a husky in Thailand?

they breed them and loads of other sorts of dog and cats here !

having one is like a status symbol i think :(

dave2

this beautifull white cat is a norwejan forrest cat

but bread in chiang mai !

post-42592-0-53471800-1463120351_thumb.j

post-42592-0-60292300-1463120415_thumb.j

post-42592-0-86525300-1463120555_thumb.j

post-42592-0-98988600-1463120780_thumb.j

Yes, all the posters who are jumping on the 'Huskies do fine in the heat', are obviously all fairly intelligent, probably fairly wealthy, dog-owners--their dogs have A/C, swimming pools, and go to the Groomers every other week--but, that doesnt account for the thousands of Thais who get a Husky, but don't have a bank balance capable of caring for them like this--and there are plenty--a small shop keeper a few hundred metres from my Moo Bahn has a large Husky and this dog definitely does not have A/C, swimming pool use--and this couple are far from alone.

I saw a bunch selling Alaskan Malamuts, advertising their dog farm, recently out and about in Chiang mai--I really don't think that these folks had AC for all their breeding kennels.

Yes, all the posters who are jumping on the 'Huskies do fine in the heat', are obviously all fairly intelligent, probably fairly wealthy, dog-owners--their dogs have A/C, swimming pools, and go to the Groomers every other week--but, that doesnt account for the thousands of Thais who get a Husky, but don't have a bank balance capable of caring for them like this--and there are plenty--a small shop keeper a few hundred metres from my Moo Bahn has a large Husky and this dog definitely does not have A/C, swimming pool use--and this couple are far from alone.

I saw a bunch selling Alaskan Malamuts, advertising their dog farm, recently out and about in Chiang mai--I really don't think that these folks had AC for all their breeding kennels.

With regards to Siberian huskies, as well as all double coated dogs, this is a huge misconception that these animals need A/C. In fact, i think it is correct to say that the A/C will cause more harm than good to them, especially if they are being exercised properly; they are extremely active dogs (as are most working dogs). Taking a dog out of an air-conditioned environment of say,20 - 240C into a temperature of what we have been experiencing recently in the high 30's, low 40's (for them to exercise) and vice verca, to me anyway, is dangerous.

Anyway, the point of this post is really to clarify the double coat. It is surprising that sibes are one of the main breeds that get singled out as a breed not suited for warm/hot climates. You hardly ever hear complaints against say, the Korean Jindo, the Australian Cattle Dog or the Australian Shepherd living in harsh (hot) climates, yet they are all double coated dogs.

Perhaps it is just in people's imagination because of the reference to Siberia and the images of these dogs pulling sledges through snow that so many think it is cruel to have them here. Who knows?

A quick explanation of double coat would be:

Dogs with double coats boast and undercoat and an outer coat. In short, their coats are made up of long, guard hairs under which there is a denser, woollier and usually much softer undercoat. The denser the undercoat happens to be, the fluffier a dog's coat tends to be and the more grooming they need to prevent tangles and mats from forming.
The outer guard hairs serve to repel any moisture and they help get rid of any dirt whereas the softer undercoat acts more as an insulation that keeps dogs warm during the colder winter months and cooler when the weather is hot in the summertime. As such, a double coat should never be shaved because it takes away the barrier that protects dogs from the damaging UV rays of the sun.
I own two Siberians, Phayu & FaiSai who will both be 8 years old this year. We have had them since they were both 3 months old, both of them born in Thailand with the pedigree going back at least 20 years, all the litters born in Thailand. So i do have a little experience with the breed living in hot climes as I'm sure most other Siberian owners have here in Thailand.
As towards shedding/moulting/casting, huskies 'blow' their undercoats typically twice a year, part of their self maintenance. This is where they get rid of the old undercoat, replaced by the new and can last anywhere up to 6 weeks. This is an unbelievable amount of hair coming off one animal, but apart from these periods, there is no real over-shedding taking place.
Just to clarify, this is not a dig at you haybilly, but just a post to point out some misconceptions to people that don't know.....................wink.png
Edit: the double coat explanation was taken from: http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/dog-breeds-with-double-coats.html , the first site on the search.
Edited by chrisinth

Don't worry, I took no offence, and am always glad to be put right- it's perfectly true that I, like probably many other posters on this thread, have no direct experience of caring for huskies ( I grew up in a Gundog breeding, training, shooting over, and boarding, environment, and this only gives me some general knowledge of dog care) so, it seems that many of us are under the misconception, that breeds living around the Arctic circle, would be uncomfortable in the sort of temperatures that one can find in South Ready Asia.

I only hope that the majority of Thai owners share your knowledge.

Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Edited by haybilly