Q Con Block - cost of laying?

carlyai

I have the Q Con 10 cm blocks.

Anyone got a price per block or square metre for laying them?

Looks like I'm paying B 400 per square metre.

Hope that includes the installation of windows, doors and cutting in conduit.

If you have a price for the 7.5 cm per block or square metre that could help.

Well, since they can lay a square meter of Q-con in about 5 minutes, that sounds really high to me. Or, does that include cost of the block? A few years ago, I paid labor 400 baht/day to do that kind of work.

Well, since they can lay a square meter of Q-con in about 5 minutes, that sounds really high to me. Or, does that include cost of the block? A few years ago, I paid labor 400 baht/day to do that kind of work.

I agree...... I paid 300 Baht a day about 3 years ago.

There are only 8 blocks to a square meter so your price seems way off the mark with blocks @ 20 odd Baht a piece.

I paid 90bt/m2 which i thought was high so i made sure they strapped them to the columns every other course....plus every 5th course i had them run two 6mm rebars along thr top bed and again drilled into the columns.

None of this concrete plinth waste of time and money though.

Its very quick though and easy....and one bag of adhesive will do over 20m2 .

We used only 3.5bags to lay 90m2.

The price you have sounds like it includes render two sides....as render cost often 150-200m2

The 10 cm blocks are about 30 baht each.

I waited ages to get the SRC QCon recogised layers as I wanted the blocks laid as per the QCon videos.

As i said, screwed again

10cm blocks are 20bt and 19bt for larger order. Prices have fallen in last year quite a lot.

Reputable builders merchants will arrange for on site instruction for builders that have never worked with Q blocks before. You do need to get the mortar mix right, I used a kitchen measuring jug. There are a few special tools needed also.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed part of post done in error

My builder who had used Q Con blocks before (many,certainly in rural ares have no experience) tied each one into the end beams and after reaching four high put a 10 cm run of cement on top repeating every fourth height,the special "cement" for bonding together is essential,sometimes it is referred to as "glue"

I cannot help you regarding laying price as my total labour price (full build,me supplying all materials) was 3,000 baht/sq.metre............but I would rather pay 400 baht to someone who,s laying them properly than 300 to the local Somchai who,s not got a clue thumbsup.gif

Now I'm feeling a bit better. The cost does include the render two sides.

I 'm just watching them lay the first course and the plastic water proof strip.

From the way they are going about the plastic waterproof, I feel I am the first oerson to get this

Any others got the plastic?

The 10 cm blocks are about 30 baht each.

I waited ages to get the SRC QCon recogised layers as I wanted the blocks laid as per the QCon videos.

As i said, screwed again

10cm blocks are 20bt and 19bt for larger order. Prices have fallen in last year quite a lot.

I got the price from 2 QCon outlets, one in Roiet and one in Mukdahan and was around B 30 from both suppliers.

Probably a bit of freight and no one out here seems to use 10 cm except me. 7.5 is what they use around here.

I paid 90bt/m2 which i thought was high so i made sure they strapped them to the columns every other course....plus every 5th course i had them run two 6mm rebars along thr top bed and again drilled into the columns.

None of this concrete plinth waste of time and money though.

Its very quick though and easy....and one bag of adhesive will do over 20m2 .

We used only 3.5bags to lay 90m2.

The price you have sounds like it includes render two sides....as render cost often 150-200m2

Yeah render is included.

I also bought those QCon lintels that go above the door and window frames.

They also supplied enough lintels to go in around the 7 course, but seeing my walls only have 10 courses I said to leave them out. Mistake?

Is the plastic only at the bottom? We put in a couple rows of the red brick at the bottom 'just in case'. And, we used SuperBlock but never any issues with water after 6 years.

Yes i did also but not as a dpc simply as a levelling up course directly off the concrete.

If you have uneven concrete then your qcon blocks at 60cm long WILL end up with voids and gaps on every single course you lay.

A dpc is rarely necessary here as most houses are a decent height from the ground.

The problem mainly occurs when path levels are brought up too high and then rain or collecting water will create penetrating damp as these block soak up like a sponge in minutes.

If you are at risk of penetrating damp then really should consider a cavity wall construction.

Yeah render is included.

I also bought those QCon lintels that go above the door and window frames.

They also supplied enough lintels to go in around the 7 course, but seeing my walls only have 10 courses I said to leave them out. Mistake?

Not sure what you're saying. If you don't put lintels above doors and windows, yeah - that's a mistake.

Is the plastic only at the bottom? We put in a couple rows of the red brick at the bottom 'just in case'. And, we used SuperBlock but never any issues with water after 6 years.

Yes i did also but not as a dpc simply as a levelling up course directly off the concrete.

If you have uneven concrete then your qcon blocks at 60cm long WILL end up with voids and gaps on every single course you lay.

A dpc is rarely necessary here as most houses are a decent height from the ground.

The problem mainly occurs when path levels are brought up too high and then rain or collecting water will create penetrating damp as these block soak up like a sponge in minutes.

If you are at risk of penetrating damp then really should consider a cavity wall construction.

Plastic is required unless the walls are at least 70cm above grade. See below video at 2min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbHcfbG7FRk

Some of the ideas discussed here are cringe worthy. There is simply no need to make anything up in a vacuum because q-con does such a great job providing how to docs, videos, training seminars, a call center, and site inspections. And their processes are sound being from a German product. My experience is if you contact q-con for any arbitrary question they will immediately dispatch representatives to your job site to help make sure all is being done correctly for free. Couldn't believe it when they brought out brand new mallets, trowels, paddle mixers, and q-con shirts not to sell, but just handed them all out for free.

As for a price reference, a reasonable labor cost for laying blocks alone is 15 baht / sqm. And before anyone says anything, yes of course it certainly could be done for much less with efficient workers. The high speed and thus low labor cost of laying blocks is a big advantage of q-con. Just think about it: laying a single q-con block covers the same area as laying 24 red bricks!

My builder who had used Q Con blocks before (many,certainly in rural ares have no experience) tied each one into the end beams and after reaching four high put a 10 cm run of cement on top repeating every fourth height,the special "cement" for bonding together is essential,sometimes it is referred to as "glue"

I cannot help you regarding laying price as my total labour price (full build,me supplying all materials) was 3,000 baht/sq.metre............but I would rather pay 400 baht to someone who,s laying them properly than 300 to the local Somchai who,s not got a clue thumbsup.gif

wow your builder is quite dumb as his 10cm of "cement" will make a great non thermal barrier

wow your builder is quite dumb as his 10cm of "cement" will make a great non thermal barrier

Well my builder might be dumb, but have a look at the QCon web site videos and then maybe have a rethink?

As my old tech teacher used to say 'criticism is welcomed, but depending on your height and weight, I'll hit you'.☺

• 6 months later...

I am going to use Q block 150 thick for all walls and no caverty, its not like they get 3 months of continuous rain like in the UK , there does seem to a debate about them being load bearing,   imo they are,  they are supposed to be ok for under ground work, which I have with the eagle eye of a local UK building inspector , Q blocks are to a EU spec so they say

I contacted QCon and asked one question and did received a catalog in English, which I have attached. Steel reinforced  Lintels for Q-Con and Diamond Block AAC come in all thickness. from 7.5cm to 20cm They both have standard height of 20cm.  They both offer the same series of Lintel lengths:  1.2 meters, 1.5 meter, 1.8, 2.10, 2.4, 2.7, 3 meters, 3.3 and 3.6 meters long.  Shorter lintels for our home arrived on the rear of the delivery truck and the longer lintels were placed on top of the pallets of wall blocks. 22 pallets of AAC blocks fit on a delivery truck for a home builder in Isaan. 

My question: Are the 20cm Q Con AAC blocks load bearing?

Yes, the 20cm Q Con AAC(G4) are blocks load bearing

Best regards
cleardot.gif
Chanyut Panvaewngam

Catalog Q-CON (ENG).pdf

Buriram Surin Window Door Lintel.JPG

20 hours ago, ianbardon said:

I am going to use Q block 150 thick for all walls and no caverty, its not like they get 3 months of continuous rain like in the UK , there does seem to a debate about them being load bearing,   imo they are,  they are supposed to be ok for under ground work, which I have with the eagle eye of a local UK building inspector , Q blocks are to a EU spec so they say

The cavity is not about rain or damp, it's about heat protection which is going to be needed even more so in the future.