"Mailing" Large Bulky Items Such As A Motorcycle

allane

I have heard that the Thai Post Office will ship large bulky items in their mail trucks. Has anyone doe this; is it as simple as it sounds ?

- will they pick-up the items, or do I have to deliver them to the P.O. ?

- with reference to a motorcycle, I presume, that as a minimum requirement, they want a copy of the green book, and the owner's ID card or passport ?

I would just like some background information before talking to them myself

I have used the post office to send a bike to Bangkok. I seem to remember them wanting the green book, my passport and 6-800 baht? I had to put my bike inside the back of the post office.

Another option might be to stick it on a train. It costs the price of a normal fare, but I am not sure if you have to accompany it or not. The station guards handle the bike on and off the train. You would need green book, passport and to get there 1-2 hours before the train.

Yes they do, you need to deliver it to the PO, and i think it must weight 200kg or less or they will not sebd it

Correct.

"LOGISPOST" from any PO to any other PO, about anything up to 200 kg.

More info:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/910943-best-way-to-transport-big-bike-from-udon-thani-to-bkk/#entry10650130

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/784169-posting-scooter/#entry8804221

Have sent a motorbike twice via the post office. Cost was between 2,000 and 3,000 baht between Phuket and ChiangRai.

You need the green book and Id, and you'll need to ensure the gas tank is empty when you deliver it to the post office at the origin. Any post office should accept a motorbike for shipment, but on the destination side, the bike may (or may not) be delivered to a regional "Logispost" point instead of the intended local post office.

As another poster noted, you should remove the mirrors. Also, the post office guys tend to go a little crazy with the cheap brown package sealing tape and cardboard when wrapping the bike, leaving a gooey mess wherever the tape has come in contact with the bike.

I had them ship a bike once and the cracked the engine case in a way that would be impossible during normal handling. It was insured so they payed the 3000 baht repair but it took a month to get the parts and get the repair done buy Yamaha in phuket. Not in a rush to use the service again.

Two weeks ago I bought a new Scoopy for my niece and shipped it to her from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai where she is attending University. Showed the the purchase slip, & insurance papers. That's all they needed. 1,400 baht. She got it 2 days later.

Bike book must be in the name of the shipper and as mentioned take the mirrors off.

Many vans that do van runs will do your bike also in the back behind the last seats, faster than the P.O.

Kalasin to Bang Saen Chonburi the bike arrived in 12 hours, by van, 2,500.

I have used the post office to send a bike to Bangkok. I seem to remember them wanting the green book, my passport and 6-800 baht? I had to put my bike inside the back of the post office.

Another option might be to stick it on a train. It costs the price of a normal fare, but I am not sure if you have to accompany it or not. The station guards handle the bike on and off the train. You would need green book, passport and to get there 1-2 hours before the train.

Have used the train several times. Price varies by engine size. My old 250 might have been about the same price as "normal fare" (but they charged 1300 once, going from BKK to CM). A 650 was quite a bit more than "normal fare" going from BKK to Thapan Hin. I have always traveled with the bike I was shipping. I don't know if they'd ship one without the owner going as well, but maybe. OTOH, I do not know of any weight limits, other than whether they have enough workers to muscle it onto the train in BKK. Showing them a photocopy of select green book pages was good enough (I never carry the green book around). One other thing: whether the bike goes on train X depends on whether there's space on train X. You don't get to buy a ticket in advance for the bike. If the cargo car is full by the time they get to your bike, it will be going on some other train, and maybe you, too.

Have sent a motorbike twice via the post office. Cost was between 2,000 and 3,000 baht between Phuket and ChiangRai.

You need the green book and Id, and you'll need to ensure the gas tank is empty when you deliver it to the post office at the origin. Any post office should accept a motorbike for shipment, but on the destination side, the bike may (or may not) be delivered to a regional "Logispost" point instead of the intended local post office.

As another poster noted, you should remove the mirrors. Also, the post office guys tend to go a little crazy with the cheap brown package sealing tape and cardboard when wrapping the bike, leaving a gooey mess wherever the tape has come in contact with the bike.

+1 spot on especially with the "wrapping". Sent a few bikes by post and if you got nice paint or a paint job you care about don't let them "wrap" it. Take some bubble wrap and cardboard and do it yourself at the PO. Depending on the post office you may also need a copy of your ID and green book so a copy can be attached to the bike. Happened to me last month as it apparently a new rule brought in by our friends at the junta. Rule may not apply everywhere TIT. Cheers

I shipped a 1300cc motorcycle via the post office so I doubt there's a weight limit unless it was imposed in the last two years. The mirrors were okay but somehow they broke the kickstand off.

I shipped a 1300cc motorcycle via the post office so I doubt there's a weight limit unless it was imposed in the last two years. The mirrors were okay but somehow they broke the kickstand off.

Go and look it up there is a 200kg limit when shipping by logispost, which is the PO "couier" service, i have it in their literature and on a poster on the wall in the PO

Go and look it up there is a 200kg limit when shipping by logispost, which is the PO "couier" service, i have it in their literature and on a poster on the wall in the PO

This is Thailand, rules are there to be broken. ;)

It's either a recent change in rules like I said, or the color and paint job made my 303kg bike look lighter but two years ago they definitely shipped it from Loei to Bangkok for me.