who would be the worst drivers in los

my thai wife drives all the time and over many years have traveled all los

and when see a bkk number plate be aware

they will do anything to show you they own the road

never indicate

stop on road to hold up traffic

travel fast and cut in on you

and worst park behind you while they do there shopping so you have to waitto get out

grrrrr+

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no question. many thai drivers lack basic driving skills. no proper education results in no proper skills.

but living with that is part of living here, part of the freedom we enjoy. it goes both ways.

i just love driving up here in issan, no red light cameras, no speed traps, no booze bus.

if i wanted to live and drive by 'western rules' - why would i have left?

have you ever driven a car in germany? try and get back to me after.

no question. many thai drivers lack basic driving skills. no proper education results in no proper skills.

but living with that is part of living here, part of the freedom we enjoy. it goes both ways.

i just love driving up here in issan, no red light cameras, no speed traps, no booze bus.

So does that mean you go thru red lights,speed and drink ?

And yes I have driven in Germany for a number of years

and just came back from holidays i's safer then anywhere

in Thailand including Issan

Edited by White Christmas13

safer equates to boring.

the regulated driving in germany creates aggression and frustration. it makes germans run you over with their shopping trolleys in the supermarket instead.

yes, i do go through red lights when i am the only one parked in front of a light globe trying to cancel out my ability to make a proper judgment. the last time i got fined for that was in january 1977 - that either makes me very lucky or a good judge of circumstances.

and i do speed and i do drink - but not at the same time.

life is not about surviving, life is about living.

i am trying to learn how to be carefree and happy from my thai neighbors. unlearning how to drive 'safe' is just part of it.

safer equates to boring.

the regulated driving in germany creates aggression and frustration. it makes germans run you over with their shopping trolleys in the supermarket instead.

yes, i do go through red lights when i am the only one parked in front of a light globe trying to cancel out my ability to make a proper judgment. the last time i got fined for that was in january 1977 - that either makes me very lucky or a good judge of circumstances.

i am trying to learn how to be carefree and happy from my thai neighbors. unlearning how to drive 'safe' is just part of it.

I rather be bored then dead, I don't won't to argue with you wait till your wife or any of your family members get killed

by some one who speeds drinks and runs a red light

check up the statistics (if you know how to do that)

Germany 4.3 deaths per 100.000

Thailand 36.2 per 100.000

Have a good sleep

safer equates to boring.

I rather be bored then dead, I don't won't to argue with you wait till your wife or any of your family members get killed

by some one who speeds drinks and runs a red light

check up the statistics (if you know how to do that)

Germany 4.3 deaths per 100.000

Thailand 36.2 per 100.000

Have a good sleep

I'm sorry but statistics mean jack Sh*t. Real life experience means far more. As someone who used to regularly drive around 1200 miles a week on UK ad European roads I can tell you that Thailand isn't as bad as many countries and far better than most when it comes to motorcyclists especially. I have ridden various motorcycles in every province in Thailand and never had any issues. The other day when the sun actually came out here in the UK I borrowed my nephews R1 to take a spin over the moors to a nice coastal town. It was the most frightening ride I have had in over 15 years. I can't wait to get back to riding and driving back home in Thailand

Most Thais have had no lessons and very few have an actual license they have taken a test to get but Farangs on the other hand have and should know better. A lot think that just because they now live here they can drive like they know no better. These are the people that you need to be wary of

Give me a Thai who knows very little against an arrogant Farang who thinks he is the best driver since Juan Manual Fangio or Michael Schumacher thumbsup.gif

Lucky I don't live near you Gute Nacht

the only time you would know if you were near me would be when you see someone drive just like you would expect someone to do.

don't portrait your home countries 'besser wissen' onto life and living in thailand. people like you are the very reason why i left there some 35 years ago.

thai people might not know how to drive but they sure know how to live.

Have to agree, when i get back to farang land the aggression on the roads, high strung people and cops, excessive rules and regulations, lack of awareness of motorcycles (ive had far more near misses in australia then thailand) really kills the enjoyment of travelling on the roads there

The answer is obvious farangs who let their wives drive, nothing worse than a backseat driver..

Thai drivers are most certainly not the worst, have ago at driving in Lagos and come back and tell me Thai drivers are bad

I have driven here for 15 years country wide, and yes they aint good but most certainly not the worst..

The OP post kinda reminds me of the old saying, those who can do, those who cant teach..

Edited by Koosdedooes

So it's gotten to this now.

People will actually argue here that thais are good drivers, come on let's be honest they are terrible.

Children crawling on their laps whilst they drive, no indicaters used, no respect for road rules or knowledge of them.

Statistics don't lie,

Worst drivers in LOS are the ones in the Ban Nok - regardless which rural Changwat we're talking about, they don't pay attention.

Bangkok licenses (drivers) are fine - just fast with a propensity to drive up your ass! laugh.png

I have heard it said more than once that western farang drivers are the biggest danger on Thai roads.

When westerners drive with caution and expect others to do the same it changes the driving game for Thai drivers.

Things like driving at a safe speed and yielding for pedestrians can cause accidents when other drivers do not expect such behavior.

In a twisted logic sort of way, this is correct..

I recently passed the test (s ) to get my Thai driving licence and was surprised to find that their are many reasonable driving laws in Thailand, that few people actually follow.

My wife tells me that one reason for this is that many people have "bought" their driving licence and have never taken the tests or studied for then and therefore are not even aware of the traffic laws.

The fact that traffic laws are almost never enforced is another major factor.

This makes it hard to say who is the worst driver,

But easy to say we are all at risk while driving in Thailand.

Holiday time, the bangkok drivers are the ones most likely to tailgate, even try to squeeze between cars to create a center lane that is not there...

And yet, motorcycles, who just don't look - I guess that would account for most fatalities...

And yet, great annoyance at small town drivers who are entirely unaware of the existence of lanes...

Some old farangs are the worse. They should know better but because they think Thailand has no traffic laws they can drive/ride like idiots.

unlike what seems to be the majority of thai drivers, most old farangs would be aware that there are in fact road rules and they would also have been properly trained to drive accordingly.

the problem that presents is - and someone pointed that out earlier - that it makes the rule - obeying driver stand out as an obstacle in the general flow of traffic and encourages others to drive dangerously to get away from them.

'go with the flow' applies in thailand more so than in many other countries i have driven in. and that inevitably involves breaking the rules.

imho, teenaged boys on motorbikes. I regularly see them barreling through the villages way too fast with not even a helmet on.

That's not to say I didn't do the same thing when I was their age.

I live in Saudi. I'll never complain about driving in Thailand again.

Was in Bangkok in January. The politeness, lack of aggression, lack of horn, was refreshing.

Every time to get in a vehicle in Saudi you are guaranteed something ridiculous happening. Thailand is no comparison.

As someone has already mentioned the OP is well known for his often "baiting" style of posting.....

The vehicle I have has BKK plates - but I don't live anywhere near BKK and rarely go there. Many people are apparently the same so how does that relate to the OP...........coffee1.gif