Ukraine's Jamala wins 2016 Eurovision Song Contest

rooster59

Ukraine's Jamala wins 2016 Eurovision Song Contest

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Ukrainian singer Jamala's melancholic tune about Soviet dictator Josef Stalin's 1944 deportation of the Crimean Tatars was crowned the winner of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest early Sunday, an unusual choice for the kitschy pop fest.

Susana Jamaladinova, a 32-year-old trained opera singer who uses the stage name Jamala, received the highest score of 534 points for her song "1944," after votes from juries and TV viewers across Europe were tallied following performances Saturday night by the 26 finalists at Stockholm's Globe Arena.

Australia's Dami Im was second with 511 points, followed by Russia's Sergey Lazarev in third with 491.

The show was broadcast live in Europe, China, Kazakhstan, Australia, New Zealand and, for the first time, the United States. Last year's contest reached nearly 200 million viewers globally.

Amid entries about love and desire, Jamala's song stood out. With somber lyrics it recalls how Crimean Tatars, including her great-grandmother, were deported in 1944 by Soviet authorities during World War II. Many died during the deportations or starved to death on the barren steppes of central Asia. Decades later some of the survivors were allowed to return to the Crimean Peninsula.

Jamala delivered an emotional performance, her voice soaring as the song built up force from a quiet start.

"I was sure that if you sing, if you talk about truth, it really can touch people," she told reporters after the competition.

The focus on Crimea, whose annexation by Russia in 2014 was opposed by its Tatar minority, could be considered a swipe at Moscow, but Jamala insisted there was no political subtext, and contest officials agreed.

The rules of the glitzy competition prohibit political statements.

Im, who was born in South Korea and is a former Australian "X Factor" talent show winner, was in the lead following a count of the jury votes, but her song "Sound of Silence" was bumped down to second place when the popular vote was added.

Though Australia is far from Europe, the Eurovision show is hugely popular Down Under where it has been broadcast for more than 30 years. Australia was invited to compete for the second consecutive year.

The annual contest, which started in 1956, is known for its eclectic mix of rock ballads, techno-pop and occasional folkloric tunes. However, in recent years entries have moved away from ethnic influences toward more mainstream dance music.

All but one of the 26 entries in the final were performed entirely or partially in English.

The stage production is also getting increasingly elaborate, with pyrotechnics and computer graphics compensating for bland tunes with cheesy lyrics.

Lazarev's club anthem "You Are the Only One" had the most striking visual effects. At one point the black-clad Russian scaled a LED display and rode a virtual iceberg through space.

Some Russian fans accused the judges of political bias, noting that Lazarev got the highest score in the popular vote.

"I'm so sad," said Dennis Kalinkin, a 29-year-old Russian who lives in France. "All of Europe voted for Russia. Russia was first. But the jury voted for other countries."

Bulgaria placed fourth, ahead of host nation Sweden. Germany's Jamie-Lee Kriewits, an 18-year-old inspired by Japanese schoolgirl fashion, finished last with just 11 points.

The show was broadcast live in the United States by the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender cable TV network Logo. The Eurovision Song Contest has a cult following in the gay community.

It was Ukraine's second Eurovision win; its first came in 2004 when Ruslana won. The victory means Ukraine gets to host the contest next year.

Asked by a Crimean journalist whether she thought the competition should be held in Crimea, Jamala answered "I hope Eurovision will be in Ukraine."

The theme of this year's contest was "Come Together," a subtle message for Europe to stay united amid a backlash against migration to the continent and rising nationalism.

In a rare serious moment at the beginning of the show co-host Mans Zelmerlow — last year's winner for Sweden — warned that Europe once again is "facing darker times."

The director of the TV alliance that produces the Eurovision Song Contest said the show's message of unity is particularly significant at a time when Europe is seeing its internal borders returning and Britain is holding a referendum on whether to exit from the European Union.

European Broadcasting Union Director-General Ingrid Deltenre told The Associated Press before Saturday's final that "you have reactions in Europe which are very polarizing ... we are sending out a signal. It's a signal about tolerance, about openness, about diversity."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-15

How did Australia get into the Eurovision song contest anyway? complete farce that lost what little appeal it had a couple of decades back

Australia was in last year to celebrate the contest's 60th anniversary, and Australia's cultural and historic links to Europe. This year possibly down to last years strong showing. They've broadcast the show for 30 years.

On another note, boy has the result irritated the Russians. lol.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

How did Australia get into the Eurovision song contest anyway? complete farce that lost what little appeal it had a couple of decades back

Australia was in last year to celebrate the contest's 60th anniversary, and Australia's cultural and historic links to Europe. This year possibly down to last years strong showing. They've broadcast the show for 30 years.

On another note, boy has the result irritated the Russians. lol.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

As for Israel, not part of Europe, but then why not.

I stayed up all night to watch it LIVE.

The photo finish VOTING RESULTS were much more exciting than usual.

This thread is a spoiler for everyone now.

It was worth it to me to see the win taken from Australia (such a BORING song) last minute like that.

Congratulations to Ukraine! Well deserved.

So much for the UK winning to make us feel loved by our European neighbours.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We love you even more when England brings back democracy to its country.

Interested to know why you think the UK is not democratic? not many European countries have given their people a choose to leave the EU or stay for one thing

It was worth it to me to see the win taken from Australia (such a BORING song) last minute like that.

Yes the Ukrainian song was excellent, as was the Russian entry. But the Ukrainian song deserved to win it, for both the song itself and the performance. I know Eurovision is supposed to be apolitical but I reckon for a song as strong as that you can make an exception.

Bit harsh on the Aussie song though Jings. I just saw Dami Im's performance on an Aussie news site and she blew the roof off the place. What a voice! I think we'll be hearing more of her in the future.

So congrats to Ukraine, well deserved!

Edited by NumbNut

I agree the Ukraine performance was amazing and full of soul. Sorry very subjective and I know the judges loved it but I felt nothing with the Aussie song. I recognize her technical talent though. I still see the Ukraine win as a surprise. It was kind of too good for the typical Eurovision winner.

So much for the UK winning to make us feel loved by our European neighbours.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We love you even more when England brings back democracy to its country.

Interested to know why you think the UK is not democratic? not many European countries have given their people a choose to leave the EU or stay for one thing

Actually i am suprised Cameron hasnt used this contest for more BREXIT scare mongering, suggesting if th UK votes out, they may win the Eurovison song contest...oh the shame

We watch it back home just for the goofy acts and hilarious tactical voting, its a great family night in and a bit of fun, no serious artist would really want to do this from the UK, the day they allowed half of the eastern bloc countries in was the day it would never be the same again...

Miss Terry Wogans great voice overs also, always had some good one liners and comments that made you laugh on the Beeb brodcast over the years, Graham Norton is ok but could not black Ol Tel's boots

Yes the Ukrainian song was excellent, as was the Russian entry. But the Ukrainian song deserved to win it, for both the song itself and the performance. I know Eurovision is supposed to be apolitical but I reckon for a song as strong as that you can make an exception.

Bit harsh on the Aussie song though Jings. I just saw Dami Im's performance on an Aussie news site and she blew the roof off the place. What a voice! I think we'll be hearing more of her in the future.

So congrats to Ukraine, well deserved!

Good show too thumbsup.gif

I like it more, my winner wink.png

Ok also The Eurovisions Song Contest is alive smile.png

Austria my home country at least 13th and only no English words using song whistling.gif

2014 - Who thought he would win the -Thing?- from my home country rolleyes.gif

Jamala'$ song about poor Crimean tatars expoited by evil Russian occupants is a pure Ukrainian nazist propaganda. The song is pure BS and has clear political podtext to lick Europe's ass as shiny as possible. Eurovision should be demonstrated on special pay channels for adult male auditory

Jamala'$ song about poor Crimean tatars expoited by evil Russian occupants is a pure Ukrainian nazist propaganda. The song is pure BS and has clear political podtext to lick Europe's ass as shiny as possible. Eurovision should be demonstrated on special pay channels for adult male auditory

Great dress though.

I suppose a lot of people are going to look at the history now.

Ignoring wiki and RT, here's a start:

https://theconversation.com/the-history-behind-ukraine-eurovision-song-about-stalins-deportation-of-crimean-tartars-55267

Between 1936 and 1938, the regime lashed out, murdering three quarters of a million people it considered real or potential enemies of the regime. Many of the victims were non-Russians, and many national groups, including Poles, Germans and Koreans, were targeted because their loyalty as nations to the USSR was held in doubt. During and after World War II, the regime deported over 3m members of non-Russian ethnic groups suspected of collaboration with the Nazis. The 240,000 Crimean Tatars shared their horrendous fatewith many other victims.

After the Nazi army took over the Crimean peninsula in October 1941, it’s true that there were many detachments of Crimean Tatar soldiers recruited to the Wehrmacht – perhaps as many as 20,000 soldiers – but they could legitimately claim that they had little choice but to accept the Germans' “offer”. The probability is that some fought because they wanted to defeat the Soviet regime, some fought because joining the Wehrmacht was a way to ensure a steady diet when food was scarce, and others were afraid of reprisals.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140314-crimea-tatars-referendum-russia-muslim-ethnic-history-culture/

For Crimea's Tatars, history is not just something in books—it is a guiding and often painful undercurrent of everyday life. The eldest of them still remember the 1944 deportation of their entire population under Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. They were given 30 minutes' notice, and most would never see their homes again.

Nearly half of the 200,000 exiled men, women, and children loaded onto cattle cars died en route or shortly after their arrival in the Urals, Siberia, and Central Asia. Exile from their homes was punishment for their alleged "massive collaboration" with the Nazis who had occupied the peninsula. They, and their children and grandchildren who have been able to return over the past 20 years, are loath to fall once again under Moscow's control. (See: "Inside Crimea: A Jewel in Two Crowns.")