Education reform to be done ahead of next election: PM Prayut

webfact

"He added that teachers must encourage students to think and innovate. Students must be urged to embrace self-learning exercises, sharpen their analytical thinking and embrace new technology. Students must be able to find ways of solving problems with logic, he said."

This can never happen unless they are allowed to be positive and negative with regard to everything including politics .

This includes members of the government This will help to develop critical thinking

Why do you think The USA Japan and Korean are wealthy countries Because they allow independent critical thinking and that includes being critical of their governments, These countries are the bastion of Creativity and Innovation.

Thailand will never become this unless they unleash everyone and allow FREE WILL

Edited by realenglish1

He added that teachers must encourage students to think and innovate.

Unfortunately, 'thinking' and 'innovating' tend to be learned behaviors. The current crop of teachers weren't taught those skills, nor their teachers before them.....

The problem is cultural/social, and has it's roots in culturally/socially transmitted norms such as deference to authority and not questioning 'superiors'. So critical thinking and innovation is suppressed right in the classroom from P1 to M6, and right through University. The average Thai simply never learns these skill-sets, because there are few Thai teachers capable of teaching them, well, outside of employing Westerners who 'may' still have these skills. Lord only know that the Western schools are on the same downwardly spiraling path toward culturally mandated, politically correct, institutionalize ignorance through conformity. Innovation and 'critical' thinking are antithetical to conformity and deference. Both skills require an element of risk-taking not to mention breaking out of established patterns of thinking and behavior, and being able to accept constructive criticism. Innovators are not normally conformists.

I'm none too hopeful that I'll see a significant change in my life-time, at least not for the better.

Edited by connda

Ask a few Thai youngsters about the libraries in their schools. Ask them how many books they've read. Ask them where they can go find "classics translated to Thai"

Sad state of affairs.

I bet they can go to the mall and find the latest video and Xbox games, right along with the latest accessories for their Smart-phones: both which were technologies that were 'innovated' where???

Mmmm interesting...Educational problems can't be sorted by political means..the end product for sure is down to Education Ministry but the policy of teaching is driven by the political powers keeping the masses down.. The Government has to change and allow the very things there advocating to happen..I don't see in the present climate how this can happen...Sharpen there Analitical thinking is the stand out one !!! If students solved problems with logic all the authorities throughout the country would be out of a job as students would not put up with what's been offered now..

Reforming education in the way required goes hand in hand with social and cultural changes. Not all politicians want that. Hence the reasons why the reforms that have happened elsewhere haven't here.

An educated population provides for a better, more skilled, innovative and enterprising workforce. But it also provides them with the skills to process and understand more and complex information and to challenge that information. Not all politicians want that.

Mmmm interesting...Educational problems can't be sorted by political means..the end product for sure is down to Education Ministry but the policy of teaching is driven by the political powers keeping the masses down.. The Government has to change and allow the very things there advocating to happen..I don't see in the present climate how this can happen...Sharpen there Analitical thinking is the stand out one !!! If students solved problems with logic all the authorities throughout the country would be out of a job as students would not put up with what's been offered now..

Reforming education in the way required goes hand in hand with social and cultural changes. Not all politicians want that. Hence the reasons why the reforms that have happened elsewhere haven't here.

An educated population provides for a better, more skilled, innovative and enterprising workforce. But it also provides them with the skills to process and understand more and complex information and to challenge that information. Not all politicians want that.

And sure as the hell not just the politicians who don't want it.

Not all politicians want that. Hence the reasons why the reforms that have happened elsewhere haven't here.

Puh-lease.

The Amart/Military has been in control far longer than any politicians. The last thing the Amart/Military want is an educated populace.

Anyway, I thought that the Junta had completed "Education Reform", what with expunging Thaksin from the textbooks, free tickets to Naresuan 6 and cutting back on classroom hours. All that's left is to eliminate M4-6, and that's in the new draft Constitution (v. 2.0), which will keep the masses sufficiently dumbed-down and sufficient.

Thai Education Minister: Thai education resembles North Korea
The Education Minister and the North Korean Ambassador to Thailand mutually agreed that the education systems of both countries are rather similar and plan to develop ties by educational exchanges.
According to the Office of the Minister Newsline, Admiral Narong Pipatanasai, the Thai Education Minister, his Deputy Teerakiat Jareonsettasin, and Permanent Secretary Suthasri Wongsamarn met with Mun Song Mo, the Ambassador of the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea on Friday at Government House.
The two agreed that the educational systems of both countries are similar. The similar elements include free 12-year basic education. Moreover, a few students from North Korea come to Thailand to study. The Thai Education Minister proposed that the Ministry will talk with Thai universities with a view to an exchange programme with North Korean universities. Meanwhile, the North Korean Ambassador said the country has education as one of the nation’s priorities and wished to have exchange programmes on education with Thailand in the near future.
Edited by mtls2005

It will be interesting to see what actions are actually taken and programs put in place by the Ministry, education provided beyond the basic Govt now provides?. Perhaps English speaking will be enhanced and encouraged since that is currently another very much needed tool for the near future to be up to speed with the other Asean conference countries.

The question of 'nationalizing' a people is first and foremost one of establishing healthy social conditions which will furnish the grounds that are necessary for the education of the individual. For only when family upbringing and school education have inculcated in the individual a knowledge of the cultural and economic and, above all, the political greatness of his own country - then, and then only, will it be possible for him to feel proud of being a citizen of such a country.

The government must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.

Interesting phrase in the OP " must be completed ahead of the next general election, which MIGHT be held next year."

I hope that this is simply a "lost in translation" issue, but I have my doubts.

First thing that caught my eye too. So the election has gone from 2015, to beginning of 2016, middle of 2016, to end of 2016, first quarter of 2017, June 2017, 3rd quarter of 2017 and now ' might be held next year'.

Some might say a pattern is forming.

Its a definite maybe