Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

AVB won't change style

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas insists he will not change his attacking style despite losing 5-3 to Arsenal on Saturday.

The Blues conceded five goals at home for the first time since 1989 in an enthralling London derby as Robin van Persie netted a stunning hat-trick.

"The philosophy is a personal value and a club value," explained Villas-Boas. "You should never sell it cheaply.

"It is something that makes us all proud and we will stick to this philosophy throughout this league. It is our way of playing, we are proud of the way we play and we just have to correct things to get a positive result."

Villas-Boas also backed his defenders insisting two freak goals cost them after they battled back to 3-3 before John Terry's slip allowed Van Persie to restore the lead and then complete his hat-trick in stoppage time as Chelsea pushed forward in search of an equaliser.

"We fought hard to get to 3-3, the emotions were behind us and it could have gone either way," added Villas-Boas. "If we can recall, there was a 3-1 result at Old Trafford, Man United thought they could swing it and they lost 6-1. We were punished in that sense.

"You have to take the last two goals out of the situation, because one is a slip from a player [John Terry] to leave the other player [Robin van Persie] one against one so is nothing to do with defensive organisation and the other is when you are trying to do something with three minutes on the clock.

"Before this we were one of the three best defences in the Premier League. We committed mistakes that we will try to evolve and maybe we can improve them for the game against Blackburn."

Villas-Boas also denied that captain Terry had been distracted by the FA investigation into claims that he racially abused Anton Ferdinand.

"No, it was not distracting," continued Villas-Boas. "I don't think so. For me there is an investigation. It is a misunderstanding, let them investigate."

AVB won't change style

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas insists he will not change his attacking style despite losing 5-3 to Arsenal on Saturday.

"The philosophy is a personal value and a club value," explained Villas-Boas. "You should never sell it cheaply.

"It is something that makes us all proud and we will stick to this philosophy throughout this league. It is our way of playing, we are proud of the way we play and we just have to correct things to get a positive result."

I am not exactly sure what AVB is saying here. Chelsea have the best defensive record in the league over the last 8 years. So far this year you have let in as many goals as the whole of the 2004/5 season. The most goals scored against you since Abromavich came in, in a single season is 37 and you are at 15 after 10 games.

So I understand his 'personal value' of all out attack but the 'club value' has always been to have a defensive defense I would have thought. Does he mean he has now reset the 'club value' with all out attack and a fairly suicidal hi-line? Anyway whatever he is selling - 5 goals at home isnt selling it 'cheap'.

BTW I am not criticizing just curious. Obviously if you change the way you defend it is bound to take time to adapt and maybe even a change in personnel.

AVB won't change style

I am not exactly sure what AVB is saying here. Chelsea have the best defensive record in the league over the last 8 years. So far this year you have let in as many goals as the whole of the 2004/5 season. The most goals scored against you since Abromavich came in, in a single season is 37 and you are at 15 after 10 games.

So I understand his 'personal value' of all out attack but the 'club value' has always been to have a defensive defense I would have thought. Does he mean he has now reset the 'club value' with all out attack and a fairly suicidal hi-line? Anyway whatever he is selling - 5 goals at home isnt selling it 'cheap'.

BTW I am not criticizing just curious. Obviously if you change the way you defend it is bound to take time to adapt and maybe even a change in personnel.

Maybe he'd prefer to win games 3-2 than 1-0. That will probably have to be the case if he doesn't replace Terry soon. Its frightening for the national team that he's considered the best choice at center back. Don't even get me started on him being captain. (They are also sorely missing Essien playing box to box and Obi Mikel or whatever his name is is absolute crap)

As we at Tottenham always remind them at little Chelsea, Ledley might only have one knee but he's still better than John Terry.It might cost them another 70m in the january window to hold onto third this seaon.

Edited by carmine

Maybe he'd prefer to win games 3-2 than 1-0. That will probably have to be the case if he doesn't replace Terry soon. Its frightening for the national team that he's considered the best choice at center back. Don't even get me started on him being captain. (They are also sorely missing Essien playing box to box and Obi Mikel or whatever his name is is absolute crap)

As we at Tottenham always remind them at little Chelsea, Ledley might only have one knee but he's still better than John Terry.It might cost them another 70m in the january window to hold onto third this seaon.

If you look at his record at Porto you can see he was pretty happy to have a few goals against him and he still won just about every match.

And after Arsenal, he basically said that they only really scored 3 and the other 2 were flukes. Fair comment but letting Arsenal score 3 against you at home would seem pretty criminal. Liverpool work on the if you have a clean sheet the worst you will get is a draw. Chelsea have had one clean sheet all season. I was wondering whether there was a theory along the lines that you are unlikely to end up with a draw which is nearly as bad as a loss. Also City maintain a very high defensive line and dont let in many goals.

John Terry is on a 150k a week 5 year contract that takes him to the end of 2014 season when he will be 34. I cant see anyone buying him.

If you look at his record at Porto you can see he was pretty happy to have a few goals against him and he still won just about every match.

And after Arsenal, he basically said that they only really scored 3 and the other 2 were flukes. Fair comment but letting Arsenal score 3 against you at home would seem pretty criminal. Liverpool work on the if you have a clean sheet the worst you will get is a draw. Chelsea have had one clean sheet all season. I was wondering whether there was a theory along the lines that you are unlikely to end up with a draw which is nearly as bad as a loss. Also City maintain a very high defensive line and dont let in many goals.

John Terry is on a 150k a week 5 year contract that takes him to the end of 2014 season when he will be 34. I cant see anyone buying him.

Speaking of JT how is his making out with the police investigation of racism accusations against him?

QPR owner Tony Fernandes says John Terry should lead England

QPR owner Tony Fernandes believes John Terry should remain England captain while allegations he racially abused Anton Ferdinand are investigated.

The Metropolitan Police is formally looking into claims Chelsea's Terry abused QPR's Ferdinand in October.

"There's been no hard evidence either way of John's alleged statements. If he's the right man for the job, then he should be selected as captain."

BBC Sport understands that Terry, 30, has been included in Fabio Capello's preliminary England squad for November's friendlies against world champions Spain and Sweden.

In an interview with the BBC, Fernandes added that he agreed with the comments of former England player Paul Ince, who said that Terry is not necessarily a racist even if the allegations against him are proven.

"Lots of things can be said in the spur of the moment which don't make you really believe what you've said," said Fernandes.

"I don't think you can write someone off as a racist because of one statement. Having said that, it is in the public eye and people like John have to be gooder than good. If he said it, it is wrong because of who he is but I don't say he's a racist because of that one statement."

The Football Association (FA) is also looking into the alleged incident, which relates to Chelsea's 1-0 loss at Loftus Road on 23 October.

Blues captain Terry has denied the allegations, while QPR defender Ferdinand, 26, has given a statement to the FA, adding that he has "very strong" feelings on the matter.

Ferdinand declined to elaborate further until a "thorough" FA inquiry has been concluded. The FA announced it was conducting an investigation after it was alleged Terry shouted racial abuse during the west London derby.

Some viewers also claimed video replays from the match showed Terry using racist language.

Terry was stripped of the England captaincy in February 2010 following allegations he had an affair with the ex-girlfriend of Wayne Bridge, an international team-mate.

Terry was reinstated by Capello in March after the Italian deemed a year without the armband to have been sufficient "punishment".

I agree with Tony Fernandez....let the investigation run its course.....Chief Inspector McTavish said today "We'll huv a thorough investigation...stop fir a few pies and be finished by late July....enjoy yer Euro humiliation in the meantime ken?"

Meanwhile the rest of the world waited with baited breath to hear the result of the Rooney inquest....coffee1.gif

Chelsea maintain stadium plans

Chief executive Ron Gourlay fears Chelsea could be left behind both on and off the field if they do not move to a new stadium.

The club's hopes of switching grounds suffered a setback at the hands of their fans in October after shareholders in the ChelseaPitch Owners (CPO) company rejected a proposal to buy back the land upon which Stamford Bridge is built.

It was a humiliating defeat for Blues owner Roman Abramovich and Gourlay said on Monday no decision had yet been made as to whether a fresh vote will be called at December's AGM.

Gourlay insisted, however, that it was imperative a solution was found, claiming the club has "outgrown" Stamford Bridge.

"We have one of smallest stadiums in Europe," Gourlay told the International Football Arena in Zurich.

"We have corporate hospitality that is second to none and 30,000 season-ticket holders. But we have a stadium slightly larger than 40,000 which drops to 38,000 on Champions League nights. We have to find a solution."

He added: "We have outgrown our stadium and tried every way possible to extend capacity.

"We need a 60-65,000 stadium. We have the eighth biggest stadium in England and the 61st biggest in Europe.

"But when you look at the activity of stadiums planned for next few years, we will fall out of top 75 which can only be restrictive to the football club.

"In the meantime, we continue on our conversations to see if there is any way at all to extend Stamford Bridge.

"We hope to make an announcement on naming rights for Stamford Bridge within the next six to eight months. It would make a big step because we have to drive up the revenues."

Having lost one CPO vote, Gourlay refused to say whether the next month's AGM, which requires only a 50 per cent majority, would prompt another ballot.

"This is a time for reflection, to sit down with the owner and discuss the situation," he said. "We thought we made a very good proposal to the CPO shareholders. They decided on a 'no' vote.

"We got 62% but it's time to discuss it with Roman and the board. We have been very transparent in terms of venues."

Gourlay said the club were also intent on identifying the Chelsea fans who were involved in chanting against QPR defender Anton Ferdinand during last week's UEFA Champions League match in Genk.

"We know the people who travelled but we don't know who participated in any of that chanting," he said. "If and when they are identified, we need to sit down and discuss it."

• 2 weeks later...

the big question in my mind is, who is actually going to want to move the Chelski ? apart from players like Tevez, who are the big money grabbing whores of the game.

come to think of it, he should be well suited by making a move to Stamford bridge ! whistling.gif

Edited by tigerfish

the big question in my mind is, who is actually going to want to move the Chelski ? apart from players like Tevez, who are the big money grabbing whores of the game.

come to think of it, he should be well suited by making a move to Stamford bridge ! whistling.gif

Would you be agreeing with the opinion then that they are just a small club that won the lottery tiger?!! The ever exploding clown car!!!

I agree....they only appeal to the games mercenaries and i frankly would have been happy that Modric went to them for stupid amounts of money but Levy was right in that we had to keep the disloyal little sh*t to sent a precedent. tevez would be perfect too. And they could play alonside Captain "turns like an oil tanker" Fantastic.

I think i said at the start of the season it was a big mistake for Villas-Boas to go to work for Abramivich.

Chelsea news

Anelka resigned to exit

Nicolas Anelka has hinted his days at Chelsea are numbered, with the striker being strongly linked with a January move away from Stamford Bridge.

Nicolas Anelka joined Chelsea from Bolton in 2008

• Shenhua admit Anelka interest

Anelka joined Chelsea in 2008 and has helped the club secure Premier League and FA Cup success. He had hoped to extend his stay by one more season, but he has been strongly linked with a move away and has indicated the club are keen for him to move on.

Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua have expressed interest in the forward, while AC Milan - seeking a replacement for Antonio Cassano who is recovering following heart surgery - are said to be keen on a loan deal.

Anelka claims the best years of his career have been at Chelsea but is resigned to moving on.

"I love playing here," Anelka told The Times. "Chelsea has been the best part of my career and it's been great playing and winning with terrific guys like Didier Drogba, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Florent Malouda.

"I was hoping to win another league title this season with Chelsea, but now apparently it is not to be."

Hallo fans of the Stamford Bridge football club,

it was drama in Group E with Bayer Leverkusen scoring a last-gasp winner against Chelsea to virtually secure their place in the last 16 with a 2-1 victory. An injury time header from defender Manuel Friedrich saw the home side fight back from going a goal down, to inflict Chelsea's fourth defeat in seven matches and increase the pressure on under-fire manager Andre Villas-Boas. That result leaves Leverkusen on nine points, one clear of Chelsea and Valencia, who crushed Genk 7-0 at the Mestalla stadium.

Well done Bayer Leverkusen including Michael Ballack and coach Robin Dutt.