Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Essien set to receive BBC award

Ghana midfielder Michael Essien will receive his 2006 BBC African Footballer of the Year Award in Accra on Monday.

The Chelsea ace won the award in January in a vote cast by listeners of the BBC World Service's African sports programme Fast Track.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is in no doubt that Essien deserves the award.

"I didn't make Essien Africa's most expensive player, but nobody regrets the money Chelsea spent he's a high-performance player," he said.

"People like to speak about Essien because they think he is a great football player but I prefer to say that he is a great man.

"We're very happy to have him with us and I think Ghana should be very proud about him not just because he is a great player but also he has got good behaviour which is good for society."

Both Mourinho and Essien are in Ghana on a charity visit.

The 25-year-old midfielder adds his name to the roll of honour that includes Ghana's Sammy Kuffour, Senegal's El Hadji Diouf and Nigeria's Jay Jay Okocha, who won the award twice.

Egyptian Mohammed Barakat was the first north African to win the award after clinching the 2005 trophy.

Fast Track presenter Farayi Mungazi is also in Accra to organize the presentation of the award to Essien.

"We at the BBC take pride in this award because it is the only one decided exclusively by the fans," Mungazi explained.

In a live public vote in January, Essien received nearly twice as many votes as Ahly and Egypt playmaker Mohamed Aboutrika and Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba.

For the first time in the history of the prize, the winner was decided live during the BBC World Service's flagship African sports programme Fast Track.

The BBC award took into account the football calendar from January to December 2006 and includes domestic leagues, continental club competitions and international matches.

Mourinho eyes arrivals

Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports News he is still seeking to sign a new defender and midfielder before the start of next season.

Chelsea have been quick off the mark in strengthening their squad after finishing second to Manchester United in the league, with Steve Sidwell and Claudio Pizarro both moving to Stamford Bridge on free transfers.

Even with the club adopting a more prudent transfer policy for this summer, though, Mourinho is casting around for further signings and is keen to bring two or three more players to the FA Cup winners.

Brazilian international Alex will end his three-year loan at PSV Eindhoven to finally join The Blues, whilst Chelsea have also been linked with a renewed bid for Bolton defender Tal Ben Haim - also available on a free transfer.

Mourinho is further hoping to sign another midfielder alongside Sidwell, and both John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien are likely to be involved in the African Cup of Nations in January and February.

When asked how many players would be joining Sidwell at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho told Sky Sports News: "I think three, and it is obvious a central defender because we have problems during the season with injuries in defence.

"A central defender, a midfielder and a striker."

Pizarro has already joined on a free transfer from Bayern Munich, and Mourinho is optimistic about the impact the Peruvian international can make in the Premiership.

"He is a player with some qualities, we think he can be important for our group and important for the Premiership," Mourinho added.

"[Pizarro is] a player with experience of responsibilities because when you play with Bayern Munich in Germany it means you play for a top club."

Pizarro could come to the fore if Didier Drogba is called upon by Ivory Coast for the African Cup of Nations, a competition that will lead to widespread disruption amongst Premiership clubs.

However, Mourinho is hoping to minimise the impact of the cup by ensuring his players join their respective squads as late as possible.

"I will try to keep them until the last moment, just before the competition starts, but they have the Fifa rules on their side so if they want to play a couple of weeks before the competition starts just to train we have to let them come.

"This is the kind of cooperation I hope we can have, and lose the players for three weeks and not five."

The future is looking bright, with all these young English starlets coming into the academy! :o

Chelsea snatch Blades ace

Sheffield United academy prospect Jacob Mellis has agreed a contract with Chelsea.

The 16-year-old midfielder has been lured to Stamford Bridge after four years developing his game with The Blades.

United could earn up to £1.3million for the loss of Mellis, who was a regular for the club's reserve team last season.

The England youth international joins Oldham Athletic starlet Danny Philliskirk in linking up with The Blues this summer.

"It is disappointing to lose such a talent," United chairman Terry Robinson told the club's official website.

"We made a great effort to keep hold of Jacob but he made it clear that he wanted to leave."

Lamps hints at Chelsea stay

Frank Lampard is looking forward to a long rest over the summer in preparation for a title charge again next season.

The Chelsea midfielder has been linked with a possible departure from Stamford Bridge but has given a strong indication that he will be staying.

Under Fifa regulations Lampard can buy out the remainder of his contract with The Blues, which has two years left to run.

New Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri has reportedly told Lampard that he wants him at the Stadio Delle Alpi next season.

But with the England international already plotting how to win back the Premiership next season, it would appear that he is content at Chelsea.

Lampard for now is ready for a break from football having endured another long campaign with club and country.

"I am looking forward to a summer. It's been a very long season," Lampard said.

"The last few seasons have all been long. I've got a clear month now and I am looking forward to resting a lot.

"I've felt tired at different stages of my career. Sometimes you feel tired at Christmas when you are bogged down with games.

"It's just a matter of resting at the right times and now I've got a good summer.

"But I am looking forward to a good season with Chelsea where we want to win the league next year. It is important we come back firing and do that."

Cole: Blues must sign up stars

Joe Cole hopes to see both John Terry and Frank Lampard sign new long term deals at Chelsea in time for the start of next season.

Both stars have been in talks regarding contract extensions, but so far no agreements have been reached with the Stamford Bridge paymasters.

In Lampard's case, the contract impasse has led to speculation that the midfielder could be prepared to buy out his contract with the London club and join former manager Claudio Ranieri at Juventus.

Although Lampard seemed to hint on Thursday that he was looking forward to next season with The Blues, Cole has called on the club and his team-mates to definitively end the uncertainty over the key duo's futures.

"I hope Frank and John sign - I hope so," said Cole, speaking after scoring in England's 3-0 win over Estonia.

"I don't know what is happening behind the scenes at Chelsea.

"I am going away on holiday and hopefully everyone will be there to help us win our title back."

Cole missed a large chunk of Chelsea's season due to injury as they surrendered their Premiership crown to Manchester United, but demonstrated his return to form by claiming a superb goal in Tallinn.

Now the former West Ham star is looking forward to staying fit next season and helping both club and country achieve their respective aims.

"What has happened has given me even more desire to come back flying next season, especially with seeing Manchester United lifting the league title," Cole added.

"That's the main thing you go for next season. I know we won two cups, and it was a good season for Chelsea in that respect, but we want to win our title back. There is a lot of desire at Chelsea.

"I also want to help England qualify for next summer's European Championships.

"Fair play to the England manager for sticking by me because he knows I can do something like I did against Estonia, and I was happy for him to get the result and we are still fighting and with a great chance to qualify."

Chelsea secure deal for Ben Haim

Chelsea have completed the signing of Bolton's out-of-contract defender Tal Ben Haim on a four-year deal.

The 25-year-old Israel international was wanted by Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce, who brought Ben Haim to the Premiership when he was Trotters boss.

But Ben Haim has chosen to sign for Jose Mourinho's Chelsea side rather than move to St James' Park.

He becomes Chelsea's third major summer addition following the captures of Claudio Pizarro and Steve Sidwell.

Ben Haim will join up with his new side in time for their pre-season tour of the United States.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho tried to sign Ben Haim in January and his failure to conclude a proposed £2m deal was cited as one of the main reasons behind his alleged rift with owner Roman Abramovich.

With skipper John Terry sidelined by injury the Blues were left short of cover at centre-half, often forcing Mourinho to play midfielder Michael Essien out of position.

The club struggled during the busy Christmas period and into January with a run of just one win in five games seeing them lose their grip on the Premiership title.

Manchester United regained the league crown, finishing six points ahead of Chelsea, although the Blues did win the FA Cup and League Cup.

Drogba: We were too careful

Didier Drogba says he wants Chelsea to be more flamboyant next season.

The Ivory Coast international says Jose Mourinho's side were too careful in their efforts to defend their Premiership crown.

And Drogba, who scored 21 Premiership goals last term, admits the Blues need to show their wild side to prise the title back from Manchester United.

"It would be good to be more flamboyant and daring," he told The Sun.

"We were too careful, too sensible last season. The team needs to be a bit wilder."

Drogba says he has also spoken to Mourinho since the end of the season and says he is already excited about next season's title challenge.

"I have had Mourinho on the phone several times since the end of the Premiership and he is all psyched up," he added.

"That is when he is at his best, when he has the feeling the whole world is against him. He is a winner who adores difficulty. It stimulates him."

United slammed over Nani deal

Chelsea scout Piet de Visser insists Manchester United paid over-the-odds for Nani.

The Dutchman, a personal adviser to Blues owner Roman Abramovich and one of their main scouts, is known as one of the best judges of talent in Europe.

Talking to Dutch television, de Visser revealed that he and Chelsea were well aware of Nani - but he was not worth the money that United paid.

"Of course we knew about Nani for a long time," he told Tien TV.

"He is a talent, but if you look at the European Championshop in Portugal and the current tournament in the Netherlands - Nani has not shown any progress.

"Therefore I think Manchester United have paid too much money for a player who has talent, but has not developed since last year."

De Visser also revealed that he was looking at up to four players at the current European Under-21 tournament.

Robben only in blues talks

Arjen Robben is only in talks with Chelsea and not other clubs, according to his father and agent.

The Dutch winger has been offered a new long-term contract by The Blues, but has also been attracting interest from the continent.

Real Madrid are keen to pair Robben with compatriot Ruud van Nistelrooy, while Bayern Munich are also sweet on the wide man.

But talks with other clubs will not take place while Robben continues to thrash out a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

Hans Robben, the attacker's agent, remains confident his son will sign a contract with Chelsea and insists he has not spoken to another club.

"At this moment we are in negotiations with Chelsea and we try to make a new deal," Robben snr told Sky Sports News.

"And if it doesn't happen, he still has a two-year contract left, so there's no rush and there's no problem.

"You never know in football, but there's a big possibility that he plays for Chelsea next season.

"What I do with negotiations is always just stick to one party. At this moment, it's Chelsea.

"If we don't have a deal, there may be another club, but while he still has two years' contract left I don't see any reason why we should talk to any other club.

"I don't do it (talk to other clubs). I just stick with one club, always one party and no other one."

Chelsea put SWP up for sale

Chelsea have sparked a summer scramble for winger Shaun Wright-Phillips by admitting he can leave Stamford Bridge for £10million.

The 25-year-old cost the Blues £21million when he was signed from Manchester City in July 2005.

But he has failed to cement a regular first-team place under Jose Mourinho, and The Sun claim he could now cash in on Wright-Phillips to generate transfer funds for his own squad strengthening plans.

Roman Abramovich's wallet has been closed to the Portuguese coach, who has added three new players to his playing pool in the form of Claudio Pizarro, Steve Sidwell and Ben Haim - but all on free transfers.

Mourinho already has a headache over who to select in midfield, with the likes of Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard, Arjen Robben, Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel battling for starting roles.

The Blues boss knows Wright-Phillips has a number of admirers willing to meet the club's asking price, with Aston Villa, Tottenham, Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham and his former employers City all in the running.

Jose Mourinho has revealed just how close he came to quitting Chelsea

The Blues boss now believes an astonishing 14 other coaches were linked with his job as his team surrendered the title to Manchester United last season.

Mourinho admitted: "I'm at one of the most glamorous clubs in the world, one where every manager wants to work and every agent wants to get their client in.

"We reached such a ridiculous situation that there were 14 coaches linked to my job last season.

"It was a crazy time and if it hadn't happened in a period when I was in a mature state of mind within myself, I may have ended things at Chelsea.

"I'm a coach with a lot of experience and maturity, although I'm not old.

"I believe that in a different stage of my career it would have affected me in a different way and it would have pushed me to take another kind of decision.

"Instead of now preparing a new season for Chelsea, I would be preparing it somewhere else."

As his relationship with owner Roman Abramovich became more and more strained, some of the biggest names in the game were linked with Mourinho's job. These included Marcello Lippi, Guus Hiddink, Frank Rijkaard and Juande Ramos.

The ‘Special One' clashed with Abramovich over the role and attitude of £31 million record signing Andriy Shevchenko.

They fell out again when Abramovich refused to sanction the signing of a defender when John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho were injured.

At that point, tensions were at an all-time high — and that was when the former Porto boss thought about quitting Stamford Bridge.

He said: "Maybe, at another point in my career. In the end, I used it as a motivation and not a reason to lose concentration or focus on my work."

And though Chelsea's season ended on a high with the FA Cup Final triumph over Manchester United, there was disappointment as they conceded their Premiership crown. They also lost on penalties to Liverpool in the Champions League semi-final, leaving Abramovich deflated.

That led to a Cold War between the two and left them not speaking.

Mourinho revealed: "It is difficult. I believe that what has changed is Mr Abramovich's way of being the owner of the club.

"It's not like at other clubs where there is an owner of the majority of shares — he's the owner of the club 100 per cent. Because of that, he can manage his relationship with Chelsea in several ways.

"Right now, I'm the club's coach, Peter Kenyon is the chief executive, and there is a board which Roman Abramovich does not sit on.

"His position in the club is different and we have to get used to it."

Mourinho claimed Abramovich no longer takes any part in the discussions over which players to buy or sell.

He said: "One year ago, he, Peter Kenyon and I would meet to discuss who is leaving and who is coming in, where we should invest, where we should improve.

"But now, we are in a situation that has me considering Chelsea's playing staff, while Peter directs from a structural and financial point of view — while also including me.

"Roman Abramovich, as the club owner, has to then be informed by Peter about the things that are being done and then says if he agrees or not.

"Peter Kenyon then contacts his agent and tries to reach a deal. Finally, he meets the club owner to keep him informed and if Roman says yes, the deal is done.

"Communication still exists — it is just a different way of working."

Mourinho expects to be outspent

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho expects to be outspent by Premiership rivals Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal this summer.

Mourinho has led the big spenders in previous seasons, backed by owner Roman Abramovich's vast financial resources.

But he expects a significant change this year.

He told Chelsea magazine: "The spenders will be Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham and maybe Arsenal. It won't be Chelsea for sure."

And Mourinho admitted he hoped the weight of expectation piled on Chelsea in the past because of their spending will be transferred to their main competitors for the title.

He said: "Maybe at the beginning of next season they will say that Chelsea are not the favourites anymore because the club did not spend so much money."

Mourinho has signed striker Claudio Pizarro, midfielder Steve Sidwell and defender Tal Ben Haim on free transfers but has been told by Blackburn that striker Benni McCarthy is not for sale.

It is a marked change in policy from the mega-spending of previous years - and follows a season in which Chelsea won the FA Cup and the Carling Cup but lost the Premiership to Manchester United.

Mourinho added: "People ask Chelsea, 'Last season you won two trophies, why did you not win four?' But not many journalists ask Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, 'Why zero?' And not many people ask Manchester United, 'Why only the Premiership?'

"Is it about money? If it is, I hope that next season the media put pressure on the big spenders because the big spenders, for sure, will not be Chelsea."

[

Mourinho added: "People ask Chelsea, 'Last season you won two trophies, why did you not win four?' But not many journalists ask Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, 'Why zero?' And not many people ask Manchester United, 'Why only the Premiership?'

"Is it about money? If it is, I hope that next season the media put pressure on the big spenders because the big spenders, for sure, will not be Chelsea."

So then I take it all the mouths that condemmed foreign money when their teams did not have it, WILL NOT be supporting the spenders this year. Or will it be all right now? I will compile a list of all the TV members who ran Chelsea (ski) down, because of their money, to see just how they stand this year. Although I know the answer already. The gob-shites are going to LOVE outspending Chelsea.

Chelsea mull newspaper legal move

Chelsea have threatened to take legal action over newspaper speculation linking striker Andriy Shevchenko with a return to former club AC Milan.

Chelsea say boss Jose Mourinho has not given any interviews to European papers over the 31-year-old striker's future.

"Chelsea and Jose Mourinho refute any of the comments that have appeared in European papers regarding Andriy Shevchenko," said a Blues statement.

"The club and Jose Mourinho are now considering legal action."

The statement added: "The manager has not given any interviews to any media outlets on this subject."

Chelsea have consistently maintained Shevchenko will remain at the club even though he has struggled to adapt to English football following his £30m transfer from AC Milan last summer.

Shevchenko has been continuously linked with a return to the San Siro and only last week AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi said he confident of bringing the Ukraine striker back to the club.

quote]

So then I take it all the mouths that condemmed foreign money when their teams did not have it, WILL NOT be supporting the spenders this year. Or will it be all right now? I will compile a list of all the TV members who ran Chelsea (ski) down, because of their money, to see just how they stand this year. Although I know the answer already. The gob-shites are going to LOVE outspending Chelsea.

meow meow Lamps :o

Chelsea in Champions League boost

Chelsea have finally been named among the Champions League's top seeds, alongside Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

The Blues had previously not amassed enough 'coefficient' points to be among the top eight sides in the competition.

Liverpool are the highest ranking English club followed by Arsenal, with United and Chelsea on equal points.

Each English side will avoid fellow top seeds AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Real Madrid in the group stages.

England is the only country to have all of its representatives seeded.

Italy's AC Milan, who lifted the trophy last season after beating Liverpool 2-1 in the final in Athens, are the highest ranked team for next season.

Barcelona, winners in 2006, are the second highest seeds and 2005 winners Liverpool are ranked third.

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea will be delighted to be included among the top eight teams after having to negotiate very difficult groups in recent years - including being drawn with Barcelona twice in the last three years.

That was something the Blues boss found difficult to accept, complaining: "For three years we had the European Champions in our group.

"The first season we had Porto, the second Liverpool and the third Barcelona."

As the Stamford Bridge side had not qualified for the tournament until 2003, their ranking - which is based upon a team's results over five years, as well as the ranking of their national association - had kept them out of the elite group.

Mourinho moaned: "Being a second seed, you always have a very strong opponent. So when you say, 'What do we have to do to win it?', I think Chelsea need to be first seeds."

The draw for the Champions League qualifying rounds will take place on 29 June.

Blues close on Alex the Duck

Brazilian sensation Alexandre Pato is understood to be on the verge of joining Chelsea.

Chelsea have been fairly quiet in the transfer market this summer but reports suggest they could tie up an £18million move for Pato in the next few days.

The 17-year-old - nicknamed Alex the Duck - has produced some sparkling performances for Internacional in recent months and is tipped to become the next big thing in Brazil.

The likes of Benfica and Milan have been linked with Pato but Chelsea are keen to snap him up quickly.

They were initially expected to watch Pato in action at the upcoming Under 20 World Cup before deciding whether to bring him in.

But Chelsea also fear he could attract more interest with a good showing at the youth competition in Canada, and Pato's agent claims a move is imminent.

"A deal is almost done," Gilmat Veloz said in the News of the World.

Reports claim Chelsea have agreed to let Pato stay with Internacional until the end of the Brazilian season in December.

Big Sam: We can't match Chelsea

Sam Allardyce has admitted he is struggling to compete with Chelsea in the transfer market.

The Newcastle manager is looking to bring in a number of new players before the start of the season and has the backing of billionaire owner Mike Ashley.

But he concedes his efforts have been thwarted by Chelsea, who won the chase for both Steve Sidwell and Tal Ben Haim.

As well as their spending power, Allardyce believes players are lured to Chelsea by the prospect of living in the capital and being involved in the UEFA Champions League.

"You try all you can and use all the weight behind you to persuade players to come to you," he told the News of the World.

"But when you are competing with Chelsea it makes life extremely difficult, even for Newcastle.

"There are the lures of London, Champions League football and the fact they play 56 to 60 games a year.

"Any player there can play 25 to 30 matches because of their huge fixture list every year, so it is hard."

Toon eye Geremi swoop

Chelsea utility man Geremi looks to be on his way to Newcastle United, according to widespread reports.

Armed with a considerable transfer kitty, Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce is scouring England and abroad for fresh recruits, as he looks to rejuvenate fortunes at St James' Park.

Cameroon international Geremi has in the past been linked with a move to Middlesbrough, where he once spent a season on-loan, but it looks as though Newcastle have stolen a march on their North East rivals.

Allardyce is hopeful of quickly concluding a deal for the 28-year-old, who is approaching the end of his contract at Chelsea and, will be available on a free transfer.

Geremi has spent much of his time at Stamford Bridge on the bench and it is thought he is now ready to quit West London, in the pursuit of regular first team football.

Malouda wants blues move

Florent Malouda has told Lyon he wants to move to Chelsea.

The French international has stated his desire to leave Stade Gerland in the summer in search of a new challenge abroad.

A number of clubs including Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Milan have all been credited with an interest in the left-sided winger.

Chelsea are believed to have had a £12million bid rejected by Lyon for Malouda with the French champions holding out for £14million for the 27-year-old.

Malouda is hoping a compromise can be reached to see him make the move to Stamford Bridge as he is keen to link up with former Guingamp team-mate Didier Drogba.

"I have told Lyon that I want to play for Chelsea," Malouda is quoted as saying in the Mirror.

"Of course I would like to play with Didier again."

Reports emanating from France suggest Chelsea are believed to be close to agreeing a deal with Lyon for Malouda in what will be their first big financial outlay this summer.

Kenyon rules out Robben exit

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has dismissed renewed speculation linking Dutch winger Arjen Robben with Real Madrid.

Reports in Friday's newspapers claimed that the Spanish champions were closing in on the player that president Ramon Calderon has always coveted.

Calderon made signing Robben one of his election pledges in 2006 and, whilst the Holland international remains at Stamford Bridge, the Real supremo is known to still be a fan.

At the start of June, Los Merengues made clear their desire to bring Robben to the Bernabeu, but Kenyon has now moved to quell talk that the former PSV Eindhoven star could be leaving London.

"Arjen is very happy, he's just got married and he wants to demonstrate and prove what a great player he is and still believes the Premier League is the best opportunity," Kenyon said.

"I'm confident he'll be there next season."

Rumours of Robben's impending exit have been partly fuelled by suggestions that Chelsea are closing in on a deal for Lyon winger Florent Malouda.

However, when questioned during a marketing drive in Hong Kong, Kenyon underlined that prudence was the prevailing philosophy at Stamford Bridge this summer, and that no big-money arrivals are anticipated.

"By Chelsea standards it's been very quiet. That's probably the headline...both in terms of names and in terms of big spending," Kenyon added.

"We've had three or four so-called free transfers."

Drogba rejects Milan talk

Didier Drogba has rejected rumours that he could leave Chelsea this summer.

The striker's future has been the subject of conjecture this summer with Milan reported to be lining up a move for his signature.

Drogba has also cast doubt over his long-term future at Stamford Bridge by suggesting he would like to play in another league before he finishes his career.

However, last season's top goalscorer insists he is committed to Chelsea and is focused on helping them regain the Premier League title from Manchester United this year.

"Each summer there is speculation about my exit to other big clubs but I tell you this is not true," Drogba told the News of the World.

"Chelsea is my destiny today and I do not want the adventure to change.

"Milan? What a good club, they are champions of Europe. But I have spoken to nobody.

"I only know what I read in the press but there is no problem with my contract with Chelsea.

"My deal is clear and no bother to me."

Drogba also welcomed Thierry Henry's departure from Arsenal as he says it leaves Chelsea with one less rival to contend with for the title.

"The exit of Henry to Barcelona is good news for us - it means that there is one less rival in Chelsea's way," continued Drogba.

"And Arsenal have a serious problem because Henry's absence is a very complicated issue to resolve.

"For us this one rare change means it will be Chelsea and United fighting for the Premiership again."

Alex ready for Chelsea test

Alex is ready for the 'biggest challenge' of his life as he prepares for a move to Chelsea.

The Brazilian defender has spent the past three seasons at PSV Eindhoven waiting to qualify for a work permit to play in England.

He is now expected to link up with Chelsea after the Copa America and is relishing the chance to play in the Premier League.

The centre-half accepts he has a fight on his hands to claim a place in the team, but he feels he will bolster Jose Mourinho's defensive options.

"Chelsea suffered a lot last season, especially in central defence," said Alex in the News of the World.

"Hopefully, my arrival will strengthen them. Playing in England is now a reality for me and I am delighted.

"I have learnt a lot in Holland, but now is the time for me to go to a bigger club.

"With the likes of Terry and Carvalho it won't be easy, but I am ready for the biggest challenge of my life."

Lamps' agent denies blues snub

Frank Lampard's agent insists his client remains committed to Chelsea for the rest of his career, and has denied reports that the England star has turned down the offer of a new deal at Stamford Bridge.

Reports on Sunday claimed that Lampard had spurned an offer that would have made him Chelsea's highest-paid player, with both Barcelona and Juventus linked with the prolific midfielder after talks regarding a contract extension stalled.

However, Steve Kutner insists Lampard has not had the chance to turn down a contract as he has not yet sat down with chief executive Peter Kenyon to resume discussions.

With talk of a move abroad refusing to subside, Kutner has also underlined that Lampard is keen to remain at Chelsea for the remainder of his playing career.

"The three of us haven't had a chance to have talks," said Kutner.

"There has never been a time when the three of us have been free as Frank has been on holiday and Peter has been away. But nothing has changed.

"Frank has always said he wants to stay at Chelsea for the rest of his career.

"He will join up with Chelsea's tour next week and will be as committed as ever. Nothing can get sorted out until he gets back, but there is no rush."

Not that I believe Kenyon says!

Kenyon: Lampard is not for sale

Peter Kenyon says Chelsea will not sell Frank Lampard and insists there is 'no crisis' regarding talks over a new contract.

Lampard has been in protracted negotiations with the Blues in an attempt to extend his present deal, which has two years left to run.

Reports have claimed that the England midfielder has rejected a record offer from the club and is chasing a move to Barcelona.

But Chelsea chief executive Kenyon has moved to play down any signs of panic about Lampard's future and is adamant any bids would not be welcome.

"All those players have still got two years to go on their contracts, which is important," Kenyon told Sky Sports News, with John Terry and Arjen Robben also discussing new deals.

"That's why we, and them and their advisors, take this opportunity to sit down at this moment in time.

"There is no crisis about it, it is a process in place and there has been a well-earned break.

"I will confirm we have had no offers and if we had offers we wouldn't accept them because they are a core part of our team."

On the incoming front, Tal Ben Haim, Steve Sidwell and Claudio Pizarro have all arrived at Stamford Bridge on free transfers.

Kenyon, though, is at pains to stress the Bosman signings are not an indication of the purse strings being tightened at the behest of owner Roman Abramovich.

He added: "It's not because there's no money, it's not because we chose to put a freeze on transfer money.

"It's about saying what have we got, what do we need and I think we've got three absolutely top quality players, who are going to be joining us.

"They will certainly make us stronger for next season."

Chelsea bid for Pato confirmed

Alexandre Pato's agent has confirmed that Chelsea have made a bid for the Brazilian starlet, but Real Madrid, Milan and Internazionale are also in the reckoning.

The English giants have emerged as favourites to land the 17-year-old - known as The Duck in recent days.

However, Chelsea have stern competition to land the young forward - with three other colossuses of the world game also looking to tie up Pato's future.

All the interested parties have representatives in Canada for the World Under 20 Championship - where Pato is currently starring.

The Internacional ace fired two goals in Brazil's opening 3-2 win over South Korea and is being tipped as one of the tournament's stars.

His excellent form has only confirmed his prodigious talent to his suitors, and according to his agent, bids have already been made.

"Real Madrid, Inter, Milan and Chelsea have already made official offers for Pato," his agent Gilmar Veloz confirmed.

"We are analysing the deals and will sit down with Internacional. Then at the end of the year his future will be defined."

Chelsea are understood to have made the best offer, with a bid in the region of €20million (£9.9million).

Indeed some sources are suggesting that Veloz is, or soon will be, travelling to England with the player's father to finalise a deal with Chelsea.

Veloz hinted that Chelsea are leading the chase, by admitting Pato may find it difficult to land a work-permit in England.

"With Anderson, he obtained his permit to Manchester United with the condition that he was a talent of outstanding quality - and I don't know if Pato would be treated like this.

"Although, we have not decided whether he would go to Chelsea, Milan, Inter or Real Madrid."

No matter which club sign Pato, he will not be moving until the end of the year as he does not turn 18 until later this year.

"Pato is not yet 18-years-old. To move, he needs to be of legal age, and he is not until September," explained Internacional president Vitorio Piffero

"There is no reason for him to go now. What would he do in Europe until September? As he could not play."

Chelsea close in on Malouda deal

Chelsea have agreed a fee with Lyon for midfielder Florent Malouda, who will have a medical in London on Monday.

Lyon were thought to want £13.5m for the 27-year-old France international.

"Chelsea are completely in agreement with the amount we're looking for," Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas told the club's TV channel.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon said this week the Blues wanted to seal the deal before they fly to Los Angeles for a pre-season tour on Tuesday.

"I've just phoned him and he's going to be able to undergo a medical in London on Monday."

The Stamford Bridge outfit will face David Beckham's new club LA Galaxy during their tour of the United States.

Malouda has won four French titles with Lyon and was voted best Ligue 1 player last season.

He was a member of the France squad who reached last year's World Cup final, a match they lost to Italy.

Malouda is now set to again link up again with Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, with whom he enjoyed success at Guingamp in 2002-03, and Michael Essien, who joined the Blues from Lyon in 2005.

The transfer is Chelsea's most prominent signing in the summer market, with Claudio Pizarro, Steve Sidwell and Tal Ben Haim arriving on free transfers.

Chelsea complete Malouda signing

Chelsea have completed the signing of France international Florent Malouda from Lyon on a four-year contract.

The 27-year-old winger has moved to Stamford Bridge for an undisclosed fee.

Lyon valued Malouda at £13.5m and president Jean-Michel Aulas told Lyon's TV channel on Monday that Chelsea were "in agreement" with them over the fee.

Malouda will join Chelsea in the United States for their pre-season tour, which includes a match against David Beckham's new club LA Galaxy.

Left-sided player Malouda may feature in Chelsea's first game on tour against Mexican side Club America on Saturday at Stanford University.

The Frenchman is now set to again link up again with Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, with whom he enjoyed success at Guingamp in 2002-03, and Michael Essien, who joined the Blues from Lyon in 2005.

And Malouda says Drogba played a part in his decision to join Chelsea, despite Liverpool also being linked with a move for him.

"Didier pushed a bit, a lot even," Malouda told French newspaper L'Equipe. "But then, at Chelsea, that's not enough to recruit a player.

"They were my number one choice for many reasons.

"I saw several matches there as a spectator and I always enjoyed it very much.

"There was also the coach, who really wanted to have me, and life in London because I want my family to feel at ease.

"The most important thing was I felt they really wanted me. I also feel the kind of football they play suits me quite well."

Malouda will give Chelsea additional experience, having won four French titles with Lyon and being voted best Ligue 1 player last season.

He was a member of the France squad that reached last year's World Cup final, a match they lost to Italy.

Malouda's deal is Chelsea's most prominent signing in the summer market, with Claudio Pizarro, Steve Sidwell and Tal Ben Haim arriving on free transfers.

Robben happy to stay

Arjen Robben would have no problem seeing out the remainder of his Chelsea contract, should a move to Real Madrid fail to materialise.

The Dutch flyer has been long-linked with a move to El Santiago Bernabeu, but despite numerous rumours the 23-year-old remains at Stamford Bridge.

Robben has conceded he has been aware of Real's interest for some time and that given a choice he would like to try his hand with the European giants.

However, the former PSV Eindhoven star, who has two years left on his Chelsea contract, would have no problem seeing out his Blues deal.

"I've known that Real Madrid have wanted me for some time, but at the moment I'm a Chelsea player," Robben is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"We are dealing with two European institutions of the highest level that are always a force in the Champions League and for whom any player would like to sign.

"I don't know if there has been any contact between the two clubs, and, if not, then I will be a Chelsea player for the next two seasons."