Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Top drawer penalty miss by fat boy, lads :o

Bit of a disgrace to see the Chelsea supporters streaming out before the penalties were fiished. But to be fair, they probably had further to travel than the Manchester United supporters. :D

I personally left after the 3rd pen was SAVED, cos it was all over, couldn't get back from that so why hang around???

Mourinho defiant despite defeat

Manager Jose Mourinho looked ahead to the new season with optimism, despite Chelsea losing the Community Shield on penalties to Manchester United.

"I'm very happy with the players," said Mourinho, who was without injured pair John Terry and Didier Drogba.

"We only knew last night we had to play this team and this strategy so I think they did very well.

"We controlled the game against the champions so why should we be afraid of the future?"

Claudio Pizarro, Frank Lampard and Shaun Wright-Phillips all had their spot-kicks saved as United won the shoot-out 3-0.

"I don't think they deserved to lose on penalties - but that's football," said Mourinho.

"The season starts on Saturday and we didn't lose the game itself, we are not at a lower level than the opposition.

"We showed we have a great group of boys fighting and working together."

Terry heads Chelsea injury fears

England captain John Terry heads a lengthy injury list that threatens to hinder the start of Chelsea's season.

Defender Terry, 26, may be out for a month after damaging knee ligaments in training and missing Sunday's Community Shield defeat by Manchester United.

Didier Drogba, Claude Makelele, Salomon Kalou, Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko, Wayne Bridge and Paolo Ferreira were also out of the squad.

"It was not easy to prepare for this game," said Blues boss Jose Mourinho.

Chelsea played Joe Cole as a lone striker against United, with summer signing Tal Ben Haim partnering Ricardo Carvalho at the heart of defence in a match the Blues lost on penalties.

Striker Claudio Pizarro, who arrived on a free transfer from Bayern Munich in June, is struggling with a back problem.

And Mourinho's predicament was not helped by keeper Petr Cech, Glen Johnson, Florent Malouda and Shaun Wright-Phillips all picking up injuries before half-time against United.

They carried on but Chelsea will assess the extent of the damage to a growing number of players this week in the lead up to the opening game of the Premier League season against Birmingham on Sunday.

Terry's injury appears to be the main concern and is believed to have suffered the knee problem in training on Saturday.

He could miss the league games against Birmingham, Reading and Liverpool.

England boss Steve McClaren may also have to manage without his inspirational leader for the friendly with Germany on 22 August as well as the crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia in September.

Mourinho could also soon be without winger Robben and German captain Ballack, who, despite injury concerns, have also both reportedly been the subject of offers from Real Madrid.

"I am very happy with the players who took part," said Mourinho, who refused to be drawn on the issues surrounding his squad.

"When you ask me about John Terry and Didier Drogba or Michael Ballack, Salomon Kalou or Claude Makelele - all of the boys who were not here - I don't want to go in that direction because I want to respect the players I had against Manchester United.

"They played very well for me and I prefer to speak about them instead of the players not involved in the game.

"I now have to analyse the picture for the next two weeks to make my decisions in relation to the three matches we have to play against Birmingham, Reading and Liverpool."

However, Mourinho insisted he was ready for the new campaign and insisted: "When the injured players are back, they are back. But I am ready to go, like I was on Sunday, ready to go to the fight with the boys who played.

"I am happy with them. I work with them, I play with them and I trust them, so no problems."

Ballack committed to Chelsea

Michael Ballack has responded to speculation about his future by stressing his commitment to Chelsea.

The German midfielder, who only joined Chelsea last summer, has been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

According to reports in Spain, Real are hoping to strike a double deal for Ballack and Arjen Robben.

But Ballack has been quick to dispel the rumours by insisting he is happy in London and has had no contact with Real.

In a statement on the club's official website, Ballack said: "I am totally committed to Chelsea.

"I came here to win trophies and be successful in English football, I want to assure the Chelsea fans of that.

"I am very happy in London professionally and for my family. The speculation about me leaving is not true.

"I have no interest in leaving Chelsea and I have had no contact with Real Madrid whatsoever.

"I am frustrated by my injury at the moment but I am working hard to be fit and hope to be back very soon to join my team-mates."

Ballack's agent, however, has told the German press that he is in contact with Real Madrid about a possible move.

Michael Becker is quoted as telling Kicker that there was 'indirect contact' with the Spanish club.

But Becker also said he had advised Real to contact Chelsea to continue negotiations.

Ben Haim: We can cover for Terry

Chelsea new boy Tal Ben Haim thinks they will be able to cope with the loss of captain John Terry.

The Blues skipper looks set to be sidelined for around a month with knee ligament damage.

But unlike last term when Jose Mourinho had to use midfielder Michael Essien in defence for a big portion of the season - Ben Haim feels Chelsea are much better equipped this term.

"Of course John Terry is a fantastic player. He helped me to settle in here," said Ben Haim.

"We had a few missing, and we want to be 100 per cent in every game we play. The manager told me to play, and I do my best in each game.

"The defenders can see everything from the back, so of course we need to speak and communicate with the team.

"But it is not only me speaking, also the whole of the back four have to communicate and it is our job to do that from the back because we see everything."

Lampard: We can cope

Frank Lampard is adamant Chelsea can cope without injured duo John Terry and Didier Drogba.

Terry and Drogba missed Sunday's FA Community Shield at Wembley because of injury.

Terry is understood to have sustained a knee ligament injury which is expected to sideline him for up to four weeks.

Drogba's injury is not as serious and the Ivory Coast ace is set to be back to full fitness in 10 days.

The duo are joined in the Chelsea treatment room by Salomon Kalou, Andrei Shevchenko, Claude Makelele, Michael Ballack and Claudio Pizarro, Glen Johnson and Florent Malouda, leaving Jose Mourinho with an injury headache ahead of this weekend's Premier League opener with Birmingham.

The Blues struggled without some of their injured stars last season, but Lampard believes they have enough strength in depth to cover for any absent players.

"In terms of injuries, we are not in the best of shape," said Lampard. "There are quite a few people in the treatment room, which is not ideal.

"But we are calling on a bit of character early and have got a very strong group.

"We all know our plans and our ambitions. We are all getting ready for it now.

"We have got a strong team with a lot of personalities and have a lot of experience from years gone by. The players we have brought in also have experience, so we can go into the season with confidence."

Lampard believes Tal Ben Haim will be able to deputise for Terry at the back after impressing in the Community Shield.

"We have got more cover for John now than last season. I think Ben Haim did very well," added Lampard.

"Hopefully we will not miss John that much until he can be fit. Hopefully, that will not be too long because it is quite a small injury in terms of his knee.

"The strength John has got in himself, I am sure he will be back out there in a couple of weeks.

"We are all upset if we have got major players who are not playing - but you cannot cry about it, you just have to deal with it."

Lampard is expecting a tough battle for the Premier League title and knows there is little margin for error.

"You cannot afford to sleep," noted Lampard."This year is going to be more competitive than ever. The big four are there ready for a good start. You cannot afford to fall behind, it is as simple as that. "There will be that feeling of trying to get something back that we want.

"We had it fairly easy for a couple of years where we won comfortably. Now it is a great challenge to all of us to try to win it back."

Alves sets sights on Chelsea move

Brazilian right-back Daniel Alves has pleaded with Sevilla to consider an offer from Chelsea.

The £20m-rated 24-year-old says he wants to join a bigger club - and Chelsea is his preferred destination.

"It's a wonderful opportunity and I don't want to let it pass," said Alves, whose agent has spoken to several European clubs.

"Sevilla should look after me. In the four years I have been here I've given my best. I just want them to listen."

He added: "We've been looking at Chelsea's offer for a while and that's the one that interests me."

Alves wants his future resolved by 15 August when Sevilla play AEK Athens in a Champions League qualifier.

"If I play for Sevilla in that match, I won't be able to play in the Champions League for another team so I hope everything can be sorted out as soon as possible," he stated.

Alves has been at Sevilla for four-and-a-half seasons and played a prominent role as the Rojiblancos won back-to-back Uefa Cups.

Right-back was a problematic area for Chelsea last season, with Paulo Ferreira, Geremi and Lassana Diarra filling the slot at various times.

Mourinho issues rotation warning

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says his players must get used to being rotated - and believes his squad is now better equipped to cope with injuries.

He thinks Chelsea were hindered by injuries last season and has since signed Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim, Florent Malouda and Claudio Pizarro.

"We didn't need new blood, we needed to be protected from things that happened last season," Mourinho told Chelsea TV.

"We play 60 matches a season - no-one can play in all of those 60 matches."

Chelsea were beaten to the Premier League title by Manchester United last season, although the Blues did triumph in the Carling Cup and FA Cup.

Mourinho will be eager to regain the top-flight crown but has already been hit by injury problems, with several players - including captain John Terry and top striker Didier Drogba - set to miss the start of the season, which kicks off with a game against Birmingham on Sunday.

But he says Chelsea's summer acquisitions will insure them against the kind of problems they suffered last time around.

Mourinho added: "I would say only Pizarro is here to give us something different. The reality of Sidwell, Ben Haim, Malouda is to protect us.

"Last season we had problems with central defenders, so now we have Ben Haim. We had problems with wingers, so we have Malouda, who is a very good player.

"We have problems in the future with centre midfielders, with the African Cup of Nations in January, so we have a young English boy like Sidwell.

"So I think the point was the team didn't need fresh blood, they needed protection and we got this protection with these boys."

Mourinho insists that every player in the squad will have a chance to stake a claim for a regular first-team place during the campaign.

"If you are not first-choice at the beginning of the season you know that, step by step, you will get matches," said Mourinho.

"Last season every player played more than 20 matches. When they come to Chelsea they know that it is not easy to play but they know Chelsea normally progress in every competition, they reach finals or semis.

"We are playing a lot of matches. We need rotation so the players know it's difficult but at the same time they know that the chances will be here for them."

Terry: Time to win in Europe

John Terry feels it is time that Chelsea won the UEFA Champions League.

The Blues have lost to Liverpool in the semi-finals of the competition in two of the past three seasons.

During the same period, Jose Mourinho's side have won the Premier League on two occasions and were runners-up to Manchester United last term.

Terry admits the domestic title remains his priority, but he is also targeting success on the European stage.

The Chelsea captain believes it would be 'very disappointing' if the current squad failed to become champions of Europe.

"It has been frustrating coming so close," Terry told ESPN.

"The main priority for me is the Premier League. But to go one step further to the Champions League final and lift that trophy, with the players we have, I feel that it's time that we have to do that.

"If we miss out on winning the Champions League with this squad of players, it's going to be really disappointing.

"I think sometimes it can be a mental problem - it's more mental than anything else."

Lampard postpones contract talks

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard will delay talks over a new contract but insists he want to stay at the club.

Lampard, 29, has two years left on his current deal and wants to postpone negotiations until the end of the season to stop him being distracted.

"I've told the club I don't really want to get involved in negotiations which aren't going to end well while I'm playing football," said Lampard.

"That's because this is a big season for me and for the club."

Lampard has been linked with a move to Spanish side Barcelona but added: "My intention is to stay. I've got two years left on my contract.

"I want to stay for the rest of my career. It's as simple as that.

"I hope it gets sorted and that it gets sorted soon, at the end of the season, or the next time we talk - and the club know that.

"The club know my intentions, and it's certainly not a money issue.

"Some figures get bandied about, inflated figures, maybe that's done on purpose - but a lot of that's not true.

"Certainly the issues I've got with the club aren't to do with money.

"This is going to be my last contract, which will finish my career, so I want to get it right."

Lamps: Robben will be missed

Frank Lampard appears resigned to Chelsea team-mate Arjen Robben joining Real Madrid.

Reports in Spain have claimed that Real have already agreed a deal to sign the Holland international, along with Feyenoord youngster Royston Drenthe.

There has yet to be official confirmation of the transfer, but Lampard seems to expect the winger to move on.

Lampard, who has put talks about his own future on hold until the end of the season, concedes Robben's influence will be missed at Stamford Bridge.

But the stand-in Blues captain does not expect his colleague's departure to seriously dent Chelsea's chances of recapturing the Premier League title.

"Arjen is a great player and a good lad," Lampard told the Sun.

"He will be missed, but if he joins Madrid it's just something that happens in football.

"He was a big part of the teams which won the title twice, but no one player leaving can be said to damage us enough that we don't believe we can win another title without him."

Sidwell keen to make Chelsea mark

Chelsea midfielder Steve Sidwell says he is determined to use the side's injury plight to help prove his worth.

Sidwell, 24, came on as a substitute in the Community Shield loss to Manchester United and insists he is ready to step up to the plate if needed.

"Of course," he told BBC Sport. "Not just me but everyone that steps into other players' boots.

"The boss has to have faith in us to do a job and once called upon we've got to take that opportunity with both hands."

He added: "If you do that you never know where that can take you."

Former Arsenal trainee Sidwell joined on a free transfer from Reading during the summer after his fine form helped the Royals to eighth in their first season in the English top-flight.

Sidwell has now moved into a house with his family and says he has now settled in at the Stamford Bridge club and is not worried at taking the step up to Chelsea.

"No, not at all," he said. "That's the challenge that I've come here for.

"If I'm pushing people for their places that's obviously going to make them play better and that's going to make the team play better so we'll have a good chance of winning things this year.

"It'll be disappointing if we don't."

Chelsea had their Premier League crown taken off them by Manchester United last season and will start the new campaign against Birmingham on Sunday.

Manager Jose Mourinho has captain John Terry and striker Didier Drogba out, while several others are extremely doubtful.

Mourinho has brought in Sidwell, central defender Tal Ben Haim, left midfielder Florent Malouda and striker Claudio Pizarro to cope with the injuries which proved so costly last season.

And Sidwell, speaking at the launch of the Premier League Creating Chances community-based project launch, has been impressed by Mourinho in his short time at the club.

"The manager is fantastic," he said. "I can see now why there is a lot of hype about him being one of the best in business.

"From what I've seen of him just in this pre-season and the sessions he puts on is fantastic.

"The camaraderie and team spirit that we have is top drawer."

Jose coy on Drogba

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has refused to confirm whether Didier Drogba will be fit to face Birmingham on Sunday, live on Sky Sports 1.

The Ivory Coast international was a notable absentee for last Sunday's Community Shield clash against rivals Manchester United at Wembley.

While Mourinho has confirmed his injury crisis is easing, the Portuguese tactician refused to comment on Drogba's chances of making an appearance in their season opener.

"It's better to have injuries now than in the middle of the season or at the end of the season when everything is crucial," said Mourinho.

"If everything goes well we'll have a better situation than last week. I hope [saturday] I won't lose three players, like I lost the day before the Community Shield game.

"If everything is normal on Saturday I'll have around 19 to 20 players to make a choice of 16.

"Ballack and Bridge they are out of the picture, because we are speaking about surgeries.

"I can't set a date when they can be back. The only one else out of the game is John Terry.

"Maybe I could say Drogba is out on Sunday and he plays, so I don't want you to say I'm hiding something."

Jose brushes off Lamps worries

Jose Mourinho is not worried by Frank Lampard's decision to put contract talks with Chelsea on hold.

The England international midfielder opted to put negotiations to one side after failing to agree terms on a fresh deal.

With the new Premier League season just around the corner the former West Ham ace wants to focus on his football.

Mourinho has described Lampard as a 'top' player and believes he has the mental attributes required to concentrate on the task at hand.

Lampard has just under two years remaining on his existing contract and the Portuguese tactician is confident a deal will eventually be agreed.

"I'm not worried about the situation, because it's difficult to find a professional like him," Mourinho confirmed.

"I've not seen one single difference between the Lampard I met four years ago with four, five or six years on his contract and the Lampard I have now with 22 months on his contract.

"He works the same. He plays the same. The same motivation, concentration and commitment.

"I want him to stay for more than the two years. I think the natural tendency is one day they will agree a new contract.

"In the football pure point of view, Lampard is top. So for me, no problem."

Meanwhile, Mourinho was unable to shed any new light on Arjen Robben's protracted move to Real Madrid, simply stating anything is possible.

"I cannot speak about it. Until the 31st of August anything is possible in terms of people coming and going," he continued.

"I think his situation has a lot of speculation behind it, but also some true. We have to wait a bit more to see."

Chelsea complete signing of Alex

Brazilian defender Alex has completed his move from PSV Eindhoven to Chelsea.

"Alex Rodrigo Dias da Costa has passed a medical and signed a three-year contract with Chelsea," said a statement on the Chelsea website.

Alex added: "I'm happy for the opportunity Chelsea have given me. I hope to start very soon and to do a good job at this wonderful club."

The 25-year-old Alex, who began his career at Santos, helped PSV win three successive Dutch league titles.

The defender played in the Brazil side that won the Copa America with victory over Argentina in the final in Venezuela on 15 July.

The Blues had to loan Alex to PSV Eindhoven after buying him in 2004 because he had not played enough games for Brazil to qualify for a permit.

Alex is hoping manager Jose Mourinho and defender Ricardo Carvalho, who are both Portuguese, will help him settle at Chelsea.

"I hope to adapt myself very quickly because Carvalho and Mourinho will help me with the language barrier."

Chelsea v Birmingham

Stamford Bridge

Sunday, 12 August

Kick-off: 1330 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day

Chelsea are without captain John Terry (knee), Michael Ballack (ankle) and Wayne Bridge (hip).

But striker Didier Drogba could play a part despite missing the Community Shield defeat to Manchester United.

Birmingham captain Damien Johnson (hamstring) will miss out, while new signing Rafael Schmitz and fellow defender Mat Sadler are also out.

Mikael Forssell could lead the attack against his former club after recovering from a long-term injury.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Johnson, A Cole, Carvalho, Ferreira, Ben Haim, Wright-Phillips, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Sidwell, J Cole, Mikel, Malouda, Robben, Diarra, Sinclair Shevchenko, Drogba, Pizarro, Kalou.

Birmingham (from): Doyle, Maik Taylor, Kelly, Parnaby, Martin Taylor, Ridgewell, Jaidi, Queudrue, Larsson, Muamba, Nafti, McSheffrey, De Ridder, O'Connor, Forssell, Jerome, Danns, Vine, Kapo, Tebily.

Boss Jose Mourinho on Chelsea's injury problems:

"You have to solve the problems you have like we did in the Community Shield - we played the first half without a striker, we played the second half without a full-back.

"I had on the bench two kids and two goalkeepers. We didn't cry, we faced the situation and tried to organise the team the best we can, and we played well.

"The natural tendency is to improve the situation. If step by step players are coming back that is fine. We have a week with three matches which is not easy, we have to try to get the maximum from our nine points."

Birmingham striker Gary McSheffrey on Chelsea's injury worries:

"I am sure the injuries are being hyped up a bit. I am sure come Friday and Saturday some of them will be training and fit.

"But it is as good a time as any to go to one of the top clubs for the first game of the season because surprises do happen.

"They are missing John Terry, maybe Didier Drogba, so they are big losses but they have so much quality.

"We will go there with no pressure at all, on a high from promotion, and will enjoy the day. You never know what might happen."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea are on course to set a new top-flight record. If they avoid defeat, they will stretch their unbeaten home league run to 64 games and smash Liverpool's record set between 25 February 1978 and 27 December 1980.

If Chelsea win this "Battle of the Blues" against last season's Championship runners-up, it will be the sixth season running the Londoners' have got their Premier League account off on a winning note.

Birmingham will be wary of the fact that just under 48% of clubs promoted to the Premier League go down after just one season (21 of 44).

CHELSEA

Last season: 2nd 83 points

1. Seven points short of becoming only the fifth club in history to be crowned champions of England on three consecutive seasons.

2. Two of their three all-time league titles came in the Premier League era (2004-05 and 2005-06). The first was 1954-55.

3. They are in an exclusive band of four clubs to have lifted the Premier League trophy; Manchester United (nine times), Arsenal (three), Chelsea (two) and Blackburn (one).

4. Completed the longest winning sequence of any club in the Premier League last season of nine matches and the longest unbeaten run of 14 games.

5. Kept an unequalled 22 Premier League clean sheets last term. In the three seasons and 114 league games under Mourinho, they have managed to keep the opposition at bay a staggering 67 times (59%).

6. Won seven of the last eight seasonal openers, including victories over Liverpool and Manchester United. They have dropped just two points out of 24. Not lost an inaugural fixture of a Premier League season since a 2-1 defeat away to Coventry on 15 August 1998.

7. Bidding to keep an opening day clean sheet for the fourth season running.

8. Ended the last campaign with five draws, to take their unbeaten run to 14 league matches. Won nine and drawn five (in that order) since losing 2-0, away to Liverpool on 20 January - their only loss in 27 Premier League outings. Ironically they are also on their longest winless League run under the current manager.

9. Not lost a home Premiership game under Mourinho (won 44, drawn 13), nor been defeated in the top division at the Bridge since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 48, drawn 15). Combining Mourinho's record with FC Porto, he is unbeaten in 95 home games in the English and Portuguese leagues (won 80, drawn 15).

10. Won five of their first six league games last term. The only match in that sequence in which they dropped points was the 2-1 defeat, away to Middlesbrough on 23 August 2006.

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Last season: 2nd 86 points (Championship)

1. Missed out on stealing the Championship title from Sunderland on the last day, when losing 1-0 away to Preston while Roy Keane's side were winning 0-5 at Luton.

2. Promoted to the top-flight for the 11th time in their history, and embarking on a second spell in the Premier League after an absence of one season.

3. Their best Premier League finish was 10th in 2003-04.

4. Their all-time Premier League scoring record averages a goal a game (152 goals in 152 matches). Only Sunderland have an inferior such record at 0.94 goals per game.

5. Starting a Premier League campaign away from home for the third time in a row, and the fourth time in the five seasons.

6. Won only one of their four seasonal openers in this league; 1-0, home to Tottenham on 16 August 2003.

7. Drawn their initial fixture in this league on each of the last two occasions; 1-1 at Portsmouth on 14 August 2004 and 0-0 at Fulham on 13 August 2005.

8. Won four matches on the trot in the Championship, immediately prior to the last day disaster at Deepdale.

9. The average points required to guarantee survival in a 20-club Premier League is 38 (the actual average is 37.33).

10. The highest points tally required to stay up in the 12 seasons of a 38-game Premier League campaign was 43, which would have been sufficient for Bolton to stay ahead of West Ham in 2002-03. In the event they accrued 44. The lowest was 34 by Bradford (1999-2000), Everton (2003-04) and West Brom (2004-05).

KEY PLAYER NOTES

CHELSEA

Ins and Outs

Didier DROGBA won the Barclays Golden Boot as the highest scorer in the Premier League last season. The Ivory Coast international netted 20 goals, and 33 in all competitions.

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Ins and Outs

Gary McSHEFFREY was Birmingham's leading scorer last season. He netted 17 goals in all, but one of those was for former club Coventry.

Mikael FORSSELL will face his former club. The Finland international made just over 50 appearances for Chelsea from December 1998, scoring five league goals, before the first of two loan spells to St Andrews and his eventual transfer for £3,000,000 in June 2005.

Rowan VINE needs a double to total 50 career League goals (Portsmouth, Brentford, Luton and Birmingham).

If he plays:-

McSHEFFREY will be participating on the eve of his 25th birthday.

Colin DOYLE will keep goal on his 22nd birthday.

Cameron JEROME will take the field two days before turning 21.

HEAD TO HEAD

Birmingham have not beaten Chelsea since doubling them at second tier level in 1979-80.

The Midlanders' last top flight maximum over the west Londoners was 2-3 on 2 November 1963 at the Bridge.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Chelsea 34 wins, Birmingham 19, Draws 23

Prem: Chelsea 4 wins, Birmingham 0, Draws 4

at Chelsea only

League (inc PL): Chelsea 20 wins, Birmingham 6, Draws 12

Prem: Chelsea 2 wins, Birmingham 0, Draws 2

REFEREE

Steve Bennett (Orpington, Kent)

This is a late change. Steve Bennett and Mike Riley have effectively swapped matches. Riley was originally selected to referee this game, but he is now controlling the Aston Villa v Liverpool clash.

Chelsea 3-2 Birmingham

Chelsea opened their season in record-breaking style by beating Birmingham to set a top-flight record of 64 home games without defeat.

Mikael Forssell converted a Gary McSheffrey cross to put Birmingham ahead but Claudio Pizarro's first-time strike brought Chelsea level.

Salomon Kalou put Florent Malouda through for Chelsea's second goal before Olivier Kapo's brilliant strike.

But Michael Essien scored the winner for Chelsea with a 25-yard strike.

The previous record was held by Liverpool, who went from February 1978 to December 1980 without losing at Anfield.

But Chelsea have been superb at Stamford Bridge since Jose Mourinho took over as manager in June 2004 and they were full value for their win over newly promoted Birmingham.

It was an entertaining match, with Chelsea playing some thrilling football and dominating huge phases of the contest, despite conceding twice in the opening 36 minutes.

Birmingham's opening goal - after 15 minutes - came completely against the run of play.

Forssell did not seem to know that much about it after Liam Ridgwell had flicked McSheffrey's cross into his path but he nonetheless managed to guide the ball past Petr Cech.

Chelsea should have already been ahead by that stage - Malouda shooting over when completely unmarked 14 yards from goal - but Mourinho's team equalised two minutes after falling behind.

The impressive Shaun Wright-Phillips accepted a return pass from Malouda before picking out the unmarked Pizarro for a goal on his league debut for Chelsea.

Doyle, in goal for Birmingham, got two hands to the ball and should have done better.

A deft flick through the tightest of gaps by Kalou and a superbly timed run from Malouda culminated in the summer arrival from Lyon slipping the ball past Doyle for Chelsea's second.

And when the ball was played to Frank Lampard in an inviting position, a third goal seemed certain but the midfielder opted for placement over power and Johan Djourou managed to block his shot.

Chelsea found good attacking positions at will, while Birmingham, with three of the back-four making their league debuts, looked increasingly ragged.

But Kapo, the fourth player in the Birmingham team making his top-flight debut for Steve Bruce's side, superbly equalised.

Previously ineffectual, he picked up the ball on the left-hand flank and beat Glen Johnson with ease before drilling his strike across goal.

Chelsea continued to dominate after the break and Essien's thunderous strike across goal from Wright-Phillips' lay-off put the home team back in front five minutes after the restart.

Once again, though, Birmingham keeper Doyle was partially at fault, with his positioning in question.

Chelsea continued to press after scoring, with Essien shooting over and Didier Drogba coming on for Pizarro, who had a fine debut.

Kalou almost scored a fourth for Chelsea with a shot on the turn but Doyle made a good save.

Birmingham rallied towards the end and Ridgewell had a chance from a corner but the ball skimmed off his head.

And the nearest the game came to another goal was a low Steve Sidwell strike that drifted inches wide of the post.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho:

"I think it was a good game, not just because Chelsea played well but because Birmingham did as well.

"Teams who have come up from the Championship have a champion mentality.

"We had so many chances to kill off the game. It would have been more enjoyable for me to see if we had been winning 4-2 or 5-2."

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce:

"I think we came here and gave them a game.

"I am disappointed because the goals we gave away were a bit soft but we pushed them hard.

"Not many teams come here and score two goals. We were brave and that's the way we'll have to be.

"We showed that we are capable of making a real fist of playing in the Premier League."

chelsea beat birmingham 3-2 at the bridge.

Fantastic!!!! :o

did anyone see the game?

Yeah I saw it, we actually played some very entertaining stuff, looked strong going forward and created lots of chances. Only weakness seemed to be Johnson at right back, maybe it was just nerves, I'd give him a couple more games just to see if he settles down, if not then we have to take Alves of Sevillas hands!

Malouda looks a steal at £13 mil, much more attacking than Robben, stronger and more of a team player! bring on the scousers sunday!!

Seapok, I thought you were excellent yesterday.. and you're carrying a bunch of injuries. Good football, a great game to watch for the (relatively) neutral fan; you could have won by more. Malouda is a wonderful footballer... no question, a great signing.. Just hope we manage to beat you in a few weeks.. :o

Edited by muckypups

Mourinho waits on Essien injury

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is waiting for news on a knee injury suffered by Michael Essien after the midfielder scored the winner against Birmingham.

The Ghana star was substituted with 21 minutes remaining of Sunday's 3-2 win.

"It was something in the knee ligament. He was in pain, I had two midfielders on the bench so I made the change immediately," said Mourinho.

"If you asked me, I would say I do not know if he will be fit for Wednesday's match against Reading."

Essien's winner came as Chelsea set a new English record of 64 unbeaten home matches in the top flight.

Mourinho enjoyed some positive news as Didier Drogba came off the bench after missing the Community Shield match against Manchester United because of injury, while Claude Makelele and Paulo Ferreira are expected to train on Monday.

Seapok, I thought you were excellent yesterday.. and you're carrying a bunch of injuries. Good football, a great game to watch for the (relatively) neutral fan; you could have won by more. Malouda is a wonderful footballer... no question, a great signing.. Just hope we manage to beat you in a few weeks.. :o

Yeah cheers for that MuckyP, it was a good game to watch, wasn't too pleased about conceding the 2 goals on the 1st game already but I reckon we will keep a clean sheet against Reading during the week. I can imagine the game against your boys will be a whole different ball game.

Yeah cheers for that MuckyP, it was a good game to watch, wasn't too pleased about conceding the 2 goals on the 1st game already but I reckon we will keep a clean sheet against Reading during the week. I can imagine the game against your boys will be a whole different ball game.

great game ,but chelsea have to tighten up in defence ,playing a promoted side is always harder than a seasoned side ,lets see how we fare against reading next time out ,cech better wear a strong hat for this one ......

Terry close to comeback

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has hinted that John Terry could make an injury return ahead of schedule.

Terry was expected to be absent for up to a month with the knee injury he sustained in Chelsea's pre-season training at the beginning of August.

However, Mourinho has now revealed that his captain could be back in action for Chelsea's meeting with Liverpool on 19th August.

Mourinho says Terry will not be ready for the Blues' next game with Reading, but the Stamford Bridge boss remains optimistic ahead of the trip to Anfield.

"I don't think Terry will have a chance against Reading," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

"I think he has a little chance against Liverpool.

"If not against Liverpool then against Portsmouth the week after.

"He is working well and the medical department are trying everything and I think he can be back soon."

Mourinho still wants Robben

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has reiterated that Arjen Robben remains in his plans.

Robben has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, but Mourinho has reiterated the Dutch winger still has a role to play at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho says he will continue to select Robben when the 23-year-old returns to action from his recent knee injury.

"Robben is still injured," Mourinho told Sky Sports News.

"He still has a little problem from the previous surgery, but when he is back and training with the group he is a Chelsea player.

"I'm always honest. I always pick the players that are in the best form.

"When Arjen arrives into that level he is a great player and a great choice for me."

Alves left out by Sevilla

Chelsea target Daniel Alves has been left out of Sevilla's squad for the UEFA Champions League tie with AEK Athens.

The full-back admitted he was unsure about whether he wanted to play in Wednesday's game as it would make him ineligible for another club.

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos has now confirmed that the Brazil international will not figure against AEK in the first leg of the third qualifying round tie.

"Alves is not on the list," Ramos told a news conference.

"He says that he is not in the condition to play."

The attack-minded defender's omission from the squad could now accelerate his move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho revealed last week that he is hoping to sign Alves, providing the price is right.

Sevilla have received offers for the player and it would now appear the two clubs need to reach a suitable compromise on the fee.