Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Great to see Sean Wright Phillips playing in his old Man City role of being given the freedom of the park.No doubt he wouldn't have been given this new role if Essien,Mikel and Kalou had been playing,but he took full advantage and looked like he enjoyed himself.His workrate was exceptional and Ballack certainly appreciated his rapid closing down of the Spurs midfielders.Malouda's return from injury has given the team a new dimension.

Dare I say it but Ballack is coming into his own since he has been given the captain's armband and has Lampard actually been missed? Don't get me wrong on his day Lamps runs the show but hasn't been performing of late, maybe the resurgence of Ballack coming back to form will give Lamps a kick up his back side.

I do agree with you Oldgit, SWP has been playing very well, his final ball still needs working on but it has been a big improvement, I can't wait until we have a full squad back again, looking forward to see how Drogba / Sheva plays with Anelka.

Terry delighted by Anelka signing

Chelsea captain John Terry feels the club have made an inspired signing in striker Nicolas Anelka.

Anelka arrived from Bolton on Friday in a £15m deal and Terry feels the club have signed a complete player.

"I feel we're getting everything, he gives us options and he gives us pace and that stretches teams," said Terry.

"He scores great goals for every club he's been at and has all-round quality and will be great for us," added the injured defender.

Chelsea are currently without strike duo Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, who are with the Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup of Nations.

So Anelka, who made his debut for Chelsea in their 2-0 victory over Spurs on Saturday, will be a vital addition to the club.

"He came on and got on well with everyone instantly," said Terry. "He will fit in very well at our place."

The Stamford Bridge stalwart has been out of action since breaking three bones in his foot against Arsenal on 16 December.

He will have a scan on the injury on Monday and will then learn how long it is before he can return to full training.

"My injury is healing up well and I'm looking to step-up the rehabilitation," Terry said.

He still hopes to be fit for England's friendly with Switzerland next month but admits his chances are slim.

Chelsea agree deal for Ivanovic

Chelsea have agreed terms with Lokomotiv Moscow to sign defender Branislav Ivanovic and are set to complete a deal worth almost £9m.

A work permit application for the powerful 23-year-old Serbian, who was also a reported target for Manchester United, has been successful.

Ivanovic will now undergo a medical and the move will go through once personal terms have been agreed.

Boss Avram Grant has also signed Nicolas Anelka in the transfer window.

Ivanovic can play anywhere in defence and won his first senior cap for Serbia and Montenegro in June 2006 in a friendly against Italy which ended 1-1.

Drogba welcomes Anelka

Didier Drogba does not expect to be fighting new signing Nicolas Anelka for a place in Chelsea's attack.

Anelka's £15million arrival from Bolton Wanderers has led to questions as to how Avram Grant will accommodate all his strikers once Drogba and Salomon Kalou return from the African Cup of Nations.

French ace Anelka has already expressed his belief that he will complement Drogba and expects to form a potent partnership with Chelsea's top scorer.

Drogba is of the same view and feels his pairing with the former Arsenal and Manchester City forward could be 'terrifying'.

"Anelka is a good forward, but he will only complement me rather than fighting for the position with me," Drogba told The Sun.

"I want to see a great Chelsea attack and his inclusion only makes us stronger.

"You know I speak French too, so we'll be buddies. Perhaps we can use the language to our advantage during a match.

"I'll love to play alongside Anelka and form a terrifying partnership.

"He's a great player. I know what it is to have him in our team and I am not threatened by his coming in. We will complement each other and all of us have a role to play.

"I don't think it will affect my position in the team when I return. Do people expect me to start fighting Anelka? No, we're friends.

"We all welcome him into the club. I am not bothered at all, I'll keep scoring no matter who joins us."

Great to see Sean Wright Phillips playing in his old Man City role of being given the freedom of the park.No doubt he wouldn't have been given this new role if Essien,Mikel and Kalou had been playing,but he took full advantage and looked like he enjoyed himself.His workrate was exceptional and Ballack certainly appreciated his rapid closing down of the Spurs midfielders.Malouda's return from injury has given the team a new dimension.

Dare I say it but Ballack is coming into his own since he has been given the captain's armband and has Lampard actually been missed? Don't get me wrong on his day Lamps runs the show but hasn't been performing of late, maybe the resurgence of Ballack coming back to form will give Lamps a kick up his back side.

I do agree with you Oldgit, SWP has been playing very well, his final ball still needs working on but it has been a big improvement, I can't wait until we have a full squad back again, looking forward to see how Drogba / Sheva plays with Anelka.

You are spot on about Ballack, Mr.S.The man is sheer class and if he continues playing in the same vein then Lampard will be benched indefinitely.I especially want to see Sean W-P being given an extended run in the central midfield role.Malouda is looking the part and Joe Cole's hitting form.Anelka started off well,didn't he?I hope my fears about him are unfounded.That man Alex worries me because he looks a non trier sometimes.What do you think of him?

You are spot on about Ballack, Mr.S.The man is sheer class and if he continues playing in the same vein then Lampard will be benched indefinitely.I especially want to see Sean W-P being given an extended run in the central midfield role.Malouda is looking the part and Joe Cole's hitting form.Anelka started off well,didn't he?I hope my fears about him are unfounded.That man Alex worries me because he looks a non trier sometimes.What do you think of him?

Reports in the papers this morning are saying SWP and Bridge could be on their way to Newcastle as Keegan the Geordie "Messiah" wants to spend big and get the team up and running again with a bit of flair, I can't see either of them leaving, SWP is in the best form he has ever been in at the Bridge so why go now and we definitely need to keep Bridgey as Ashley gets injured far too much for my liking.

By the look of things Anelka is going to be the B*llocks, I can't wait to see how he gets on tomorrow against the Brummies. When I was at Chelsea last week, Alex was actually pretty good, made some fine blocks, my only concern at the back is Belletti, he comes up now and again with some fine goals but thats not good enough for a defender, he actually needs to be able to defend! haha

Our new boy Ivanovic, sounds like he is out of the same mould as Vidic, which can't be a bad thing and only 23 yrs he will learn a lot from the senior players.

Anelka dismisses 'Le Sulk' label

Chelsea's new £15m signing Nicolas Anelka says his "Le Sulk" reputation is entirely unfounded.

The 28-year-old, who has played for eight clubs in his career, said: "Ask a player I played with in England and they won't say a bad word about me."

Anelka also rejected claims he would have preferred to rejoin Arsenal.

"Arsenal was good, but it's in the past, I'm happy to be here," he said. "We're still in the race to win everything and I'll try to do it."

Anelka, who has now cost £85m in transfer fees, began his career at Paris St Germain before joining the Gunners in 1997.

He also played for Real Madrid, Paris St Germain again, Liverpool, Manchester City and Fenerbahce before joining Bolton.

There were rumours he found it difficult to mix with teammates but he said: "Sometimes you are happy when you play football and sometimes you are not happy.

"Maybe some people saw me when I was not happy but no, I don't think it's fair."

Now at Stamford Bridge, Anelka insists he does not expect to be permanently guaranteed first-team football but will remain fully committed to the Chelsea cause.

"It's a big club with big players and if the manager gives me the chance to play, I'll play and try to do my best," he said.

"If I have to start on the bench, I'll do the same. I knew this before I signed. I'm just happy to be here."

Another mischievous suggestion that Anelka was quick to play down was that he could not form an effective strike partnership with Didier Drogba, who is currently away at the African Nations Cup.

"It's not very difficult to play with him," Anelka said.

"He can do everything and he's clever and can play with his back to the goal. I like this kind of striker. I can turn around him and give him some good balls to score."

Birmingham v Chelsea

St Andrews

Saturday, 19 January

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

BBC coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Score and Final Score.

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish could give a debut to full-back David Murphy against Chelsea, despite a fortnight out of action with a hamstring injury.

Skipper Damien Johnson missed a training session with a stiff back but is expected to be fit to play.

Chelsea are waiting on the fitness of midfielder Frank Lampard, who has had a thigh problem but is back in training.

With players away at the Africa Cup of Nations, Branislav Ivanovic and Nicolas Anelka could make their first starts.

Birmingham (from): Taylor, Doyle, Kelly, Ridgewell, Schmitz, Murphy, Queudrue, Parnaby, Larsson, Muamba, Johnson, Kapo, McSheffrey, De Ridder, Jerome, O'Connor, Forssell.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim, Carvalho, Ivanovic, A Cole, Bridge, J Cole, Sidwell, Wright-Phillips, Malouda, Pizarro, Anelka, Ballack, Sinclair, Makelele.

Birmingham striker Michael Forssell:

"There is certainly no point in sitting back against Chelsea.

"I believe every time we push on and try to score a goal it actually takes the pressure off our defence.

"But we don't want to just hoof the ball up for it to come straight back. I think it will be tight game."

Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho:

"It is important to play and win our match, we are doing well and we are winning.

"But Birmingham are playing at home so it is too early to speak about the title. We aim to win our games and play better.

"Birmingham are very compact at home and it is always difficult."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Four points separate Chelsea from the top two in the Premier League table; goal difference is all that lies between Birmingham and the relegation zone.

Chelsea have won two more Premier League games away from home, than Birmingham have chalked up home and away (seven to five).

Birmingham are chasing a 50th Premier League victory, which would give them 200 points in this league; Chelsea are on the look out for their 300th Premier League win and on no account want to notch a 100th defeat on the road in this league.

Both clubs have different managers from the start of the campaign. Alex McLeish, 49 on Monday, has won two of eight league matches in charge of the second city Blues; the London Blues' have recorded 11 victories in 16 league games under Avram Grant.

Birmingham are making a 10th attempt to claim their first Premier League victory over Chelsea.

CLUB FORM

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 13th

Lowest could realistically fall: 17th

1. Not won in four in all competitions, and won one of the last eight.

2. Gained just two victories in 11 Premier League outings, and one in seven; 3-0, home to Middlesbrough on Boxing Day.

3. Lost 12 times in the Premier League; only rock bottom Derby have been beaten more often (17 times).

4. Middlesbrough is the only club they have prevented from scoring in 15 league outings. Also, failed to score in eight league matches; only Derby (14) and Portsmouth (nine) have missed the target more often.

5. Yet to beat a top half club; drawn two and lost nine of their 11 fixtures to date against clubs currently in the top 10.

6. Conceded six goals in the last five minutes of Premier League games this term; no club has netted more. Also, conceded more penalties than any other club in Premier League matches this season (six).

7. Not beaten one of the so called "big four", since Arsenal were eclipsed 2-1 at St Andrews on 15 May 2005.

8. Gained one victory in five home league matches; against Middlesbrough.

9. Scored only one goal in five home Premier League matches against London clubs (1-1 v Fulham on 29 December), and not beaten a club from the capital at this level on this ground since prevailing 1-0 against Fulham on 10 December 2005.

10. Two fixtures against relegation threatened sides follow this; away to Sunderland and home to Derby. Then there are three more matches against London clubs; away to West Ham, and home to Arsenal and Tottenham.

CHELSEA

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 3rd

Lowest could fall: 3rd

1. Lost one of the last 25 in all competitions, and undefeated in eight; unbeaten in five Premier League matches.

2. Hoping to add the scalp of Birmingham to those of Newcastle (h), Fulham (a) and Tottenham (h) gained in their last three league games. On the joint longest current winning streak in the Premier League of three games, equal with those of Aston Villa and Blackburn.

3. Won 14 Premier League matches; only Manchester United (16) and Arsenal (15) have won more.

4. Beaten three times in this league; only Arsenal (one) and Liverpool (two) have suffered fewer defeats.

5. Conceded 16 Premier League goals; only Manchester United (11) and Liverpool (14) have tighter defences.

6. Kept 12 clean sheets in the highest league; only the Red Devils surpass that with 13.

7. Collected five red cards in Premier League competition; only Blackburn and Fulham match that. Blackburn players have also been shown an equal number of cards in the Premier League (49).

8. Not lost when opened the scoring of a Premier League game this term (won 11 and drawn one of 12), and yet to be beaten by a lower half club (won 10 and drawn one of their 11 fixtures against clubs currently in the bottom 10 places).

9. Already equalled the number of league defeats suffered last season (three); and the number of times their opponents have scored first (eight). Also failed to score in one more game than last term (five this season, four in the whole of 2006-07).

10. After this match they defend a 2-1 lead in the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final away to Everton, then go to Wigan in the fourth round of the FA Cup, before a home league fixture with Reading, a visit to Portsmouth and a massive home Premier League clash with Liverpool.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Olivier KAPO and Cameron JEROME are Birmingham's joint top scorers with five Premier League goals each.

Stephen KELLY has played every minute of every one of Birmingham's Premier League games this season.

Garry O'CONNOR is a double shy of 50 goals in English and Scottish league football (Hibernian and Birmingham).

If selected:-

Mikael FORSSELL will be facing the first club he joined on arrival in England in December 1998. The 26 year old Finland international made 53 appearances (33 in the league) and scored 12 goals (five league) for Chelsea.

If on the field from the outset:-

Matt SADLER will be making his 50th league start in a Birmingham shirt.

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA and Frank LAMPARD are Chelsea's top scorers with nine goals each.

DROGBA, LAMPARD and Salomon KALOU are the clubs' joint leading marksmen in the Premier League, with five goals each.

LAMPARD is one shy of 100 goals for Chelsea.

DROGBA is a hat-trick short of 50 Premier League goals in Chelsea colours.

LAMPARD will be making his 550th club career appearance (West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea).

Petr CECH will be making his 150th appearance in a Chelsea goalkeepers' jersey.

Paulo FERREIRA will be playing the day after his 29th birthday.

Suspended:-

John MIKEL Obi (three matches)

HEAD TO HEAD

Birmingham have not beaten Chelsea in six home league games since a 5-1 triumph in the old Second Division on 11 March 1980. Their last home top flight victory over the Londoners was over 33 years ago, a 2-0 win on 2 November 1974.

Chelsea won the reverse fixture 3-2. It was the first time they had put three goals past the Midlanders since they did it twice in claiming the first and only previous Premier League double against them in 2002-03.

Chelsea set a new record of 64 unbeaten home matches in top-flight football, when they defeated the Brummies on the opening weekend of the season.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Birmingham 19 wins, Chelsea 35, Draws 23

Prem: Birmingham 0 wins, Chelsea 5, Draws 4

at Birmingham only

League (inc PL): Birmingham 13 wins, Chelsea 14, Draws 11

Prem: Birmingham 0 wins, Chelsea 2, Draws 2

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 3-2 Birmingham City

12 August 2007 - Ref: Steve Bennett

Chelsea scorers: Pizarro 17, Malouda 31, Essien 50

Birmingham scorers: Forssell 15, Kapo 36

REFEREE

Rob Styles (Waterlooville, Hampshire)

Another scrap by all accounts, at least we are keeping up with the Gooners and the Mancs! :o

Birmingham 0-1 Chelsea

Chelsea striker Claudio Pizarro grabbed a late winner as the visitors toiled to victory over a tenacious Birmingham.

Birmingham nullified Chelsea for most of the game and saw Cameron Jerome head against the post from a poor clearance by Chelsea keeper Petr Cech.

Birmingham's Sebastian Larsson mistimed a shot from point-blank range, while Nicolas Anelka had a one-on-one effort saved by Maik Taylor at the other end.

Chelsea had dominated possession in the early stages but struggled to prise a way through a disciplined and determined home outfit.

Birmingham energetically snapped at the heels of their opponents and gave them little sniff of finding a way through their organised ranks.

The St Andrews side were playing more like an away team and Garry O'Connor should have done better for them than to head a corner wide when unmarked.

Olivier Kapo also got in a header for Birmingham but his effort lacked power and Cech gathered comfortably.

Chelsea's cause was not helped by Shaun Wright-Phillips failing to run off an injury after having landed awkwardly when going up for a header with Damien Johnson early on.

The winger was eventually forced off with striker Pizarro coming on before defender Alex glanced a header wide for the visitors.

Chelsea's failure to turn their possession into goals was almost punished by Birmingham as the home side finished the first half strongly.

The hard-working Midlands side pressured Cech into a poor clearance which Jerome instinctively diverted towards goal only to see his header hit the post and go wide.

And Chelsea were hanging on when Jerome had two successive shots cleared from their goalmouth by Alex and Juliano Belletti.

Fabrice Muamba sent a shot from the edge of the Chelsea box over as the visitors' defence was stretched and also thankful when the half-time whistle was blown.

Chelsea's backline had been unnerved by the tough-tackling and closing down of Birmingham and a backpass from Alex almost played O'Connor in on goal only for the alert Cech to slide out and clear the danger.

The home side were now on the front foot and Larsson had a glorious chance to reward their play with a goal.

Kapo pulled the ball back from the byline for the Swede, who mistimed his effort at the near post and saw it loop off target after catching him by surprise.

The fear that the quality of the visitors would see Birmingham regret not making more of their attacks was then almost realised.

Anelka had a clear sight of goal from 12 yards but shot straight at Taylor as he was put under pressure by defender Rafael Schmitz.

Birmingham brought on new signing James McFadden and he immediately got involved as he had an angled shot saved by Cech.

But Pizarro stole in to head in a Belletti corner and clinch Chelsea a victory to keep them in touch with Arsenal and Manchester United at the top of the table.

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish:

"We put in a great performance, we defended well in open play and we worked hard.

"We had a brilliant 15 minutes before half-time when we had lots of attempts on their goal but we didn't have and the post saved Chelsea.

"I am very proud of the players and on another day we would have got something out of the game."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"It was very important to win. It was not high quality but we deserved to win.

"We did not create that many chances. There was one but at the end of the day we won and that's what matters.

"We knew it would be a difficult game against Birmingham. They defended very well and had a high spirit."

Birmingham: Maik Taylor, Kelly, Schmitz, Ridgewell, Queudrue, Larsson, Muamba, Johnson, Kapo, O'Connor (Forssell 72), Jerome (McFadden 72).

Subs Not Used: Doyle, McSheffrey, Parnaby.

Booked: Muamba.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Alex, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Wright-Phillips (Pizarro 29), Makelele, Ballack, Joe Cole (Sidwell 85), Anelka, Malouda (Bridge 90).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Pizarro.

Goals: Pizarro 79.

Att: 26,567

Ref: Rob Styles (Hampshire).

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Chelsea's Nicolas Anelka

It wound up as a scrap but for the first half hour it looked like we would piss up.It looked like Brum were the away team but,as so often happens with us,we never took our chances and allowed them back in it.It didn't help when SWP had to go off injured.An inspired substitution meant that we got the winner-from a corner believe or not-from that 'prolific' goalscorer Pizzaro.Actually it was a terrific header.I thought Makelele was the man of the match.

Lampard suffers setback

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has suffered a setback in his bid to recover from a thigh problem.

Lampard has been out of action since picking up the thigh injury in the Boxing Day draw with Aston Villa.

The England international had targeted a return against Everton in the second leg of their Carling Cup semi-final, but he will now miss the trip to Goodison Park after aggravating the injury in training.

Blues boss Avram Grant confirmed Lampard could be sidelined for a further two weeks.

"All I can say about his injury is that he is not available for the moment but we hope he will be soon as possible," said Grant.

"It is a little bit more complicated than we thought. But I think he will be back soon.

"He has torn his thigh muscle for a second time and I think it could be between days or two weeks from now."

Better news on the injury front for Grant is that Shaun Wright-Phillips could be available despite limping off against Birmingham at the weekend.

Wright-Phillips was expected to miss out after suffering an ankle injury at St Andrews, but he is back in light training and could make the clash with Everton.

"The good thing with these players is they like to play and even when they are not fit and 100 per cent, they are doing everything to play.

"Not all the players have been 100 per cent fit for the last few games but the squad is very short. Everybody, including Shaun, is doing everything they can to play, but it is good news he is out there."

Grant has dismissed suggestions that his side will go to Goodison Park and sit back and defend their 2-1 lead from the first leg.

"I don't believe in that. If you go to only defend then you can make a mistake and lose the game because of it," insisted Grant.

"It is not our style of game over the last three months. I don't think you can play totally different for just one game. It is not the nature of the team.

"We will not change our system and our style of play will be the same we play at home. I believe Everton feel more comfortable to play at home but for us it is the same. The atmosphere at Liverpool and Goodison Park is very good. I like it. The supporters get behind their team. It is a great atmosphere.

"The Carling Cup is not my main target but it is a good competition. If you get into the semi-final of any competition then you want to qualify and any game we have played in the Carling Cup we have taken seriously."

Everton v Chelsea

Everton trail Chelsea 2-1 ahead of their Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Goodison Park.

Tottenham await the winners in the final after their 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal at White Hart Lane on Tuesday.

There is nothing to suggest the clash at Everton will be as one-sided after a hard-fought first leg that left Chelsea with only a slender advantage.

Yakubu Aiyegbeni had cancelled out Shaun Wright-Phillips' opener, only for a Joleon Lescott own goal in the last minute to give The Blues a home win.

Everton have returned to form in the Premier League over the last fortnight, edging to narrow victories over Manchester City and Wigan.

David Moyes' squad has been stretched by injuries and the absence of Joseph Yobo, Yakubu and Steven Pienaar, who are away on African Cup of Nations duty.

Full-back Leighton Baines will miss the game with Chelsea due to a hamstring problem, while four more players are doubtful.

Andrew Johnson and Tony Hibbert both featured against Wigan at the weekend but picked up minor leg injuries.

Manual Fernandes is also struggling with a similar problem, and Leon Osman has only recently recovered from a broken foot.

Chelsea have strengthened their squad since the first leg by bringing in striker Nicolas Anelka and defender Branislav Ivanovic.

Ivanovic could make his debut, while Anelka is also available as he did not play for Bolton in this season's competition.

However, Frank Lampard is out after suffering a setback in his bid to recover from a thigh injury.

Chelsea are also without captain John Terry (foot) and Andrei Shevchenko (back) but Wright-Phillips has returned to training after hurting his ankle in the win over Birmingham on Saturday.

QPR vs Chelsea Land Battle?

-

Charles Sale/Daily Mail

"An intriguing billionaire property battle could break out in West London between Roman Abramovich's Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers, bought by Bernie Ecclestone, Flavio Briatore and Lakshmi Mittal, over the BBC Television Centre in Shepherds Bush, which the Corporation have announced they will sell. Advisors for the clubs have recommended that the Beeb site, close to both clubs, is seriously worth considering as a new stadium venue"- Daily Mail

QPR vs Chelsea Land Battle?

-

Charles Sale/Daily Mail

"An intriguing billionaire property battle could break out in West London between Roman Abramovich's Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers, bought by Bernie Ecclestone, Flavio Briatore and Lakshmi Mittal, over the BBC Television Centre in Shepherds Bush, which the Corporation have announced they will sell. Advisors for the clubs have recommended that the Beeb site, close to both clubs, is seriously worth considering as a new stadium venue"- Daily Mail

An interesting concept but one which,I think, will be to Q.P.R.'S advantage rather than Chelsea's.The problem that Roman Abramovitch has is that,if he moves the club to another stadium,he cannot take the name of Chelsea Football Club with him.This is the property of the C.F.C Pitch Owners Assoc.Will he want to lose a brand name that is now known worldwide?I don't think so.As far as Q.P.R. are concerned,this is an ideal opportunity for them to step up to the big league.However,what Bernie Ecclestone etc. must consider is whether Q.P.R have the fan base to fill,say, a new 60,000 capacity stadium at this time.What might appeal to both parties is a ground sharing arrangement but first they will be up against some city high rollers ready to step in and buy such a desirable site plus they would need to sound out the Local Authority regarding planning permission.

I didnt know that about the CFC pitch owners Ass..........personally always enjoyed going to Stamford Bridge....not been since late 80's though !!! The benches were an interesting concept. And that old stand next in the North Stand, on its own. The view from the away end wasnt all that great . Sat at the very top of the East Stand when you played Leeds 1982 ? .....excellent view of the game.........was in the benches for the Sunderland Milk Cup semi final......great atmosphere

Another deserved trip to Wembley, what a great day its going to be! :o

Everton 0-1 Chelsea

Chelsea secured a Carling Cup final meeting with Tottenham thanks to a Joe Cole strike that saw off the challenge of Everton at Goodison Park.

Cole scored the only goal of the game when he controlled Florent Malouda's raking ball and sent his half-volley past goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Chelsea also went close through striker Nicolas Anelka who hit the crossbar.

Everton's best chances came from the boots of Phil Neville and Phil Jagielka whose shots were saved by Petr Cech.

With Everton having not beaten their opposition since November 2000 in any competition, the omens were not good for David Moyes' side.

But ask Moyes what omens mean to him and you would probably get short shrift.

The Toffees played well at Stamford Bridge and were unlucky to be 2-1 down on aggegate going into the second leg.

And in the opening moments of the first half they resumed where they left off two weeks ago, dominating possession and flinging in balls, primarily from the boot of Neville, into the area.

If it was not Neville keeping the cup holders on their toes it was Spanish playmaker Mikel Arteta, who managed to thread balls into the 18-yard box despite being surrounded by two or three defenders.

But Avram's Grant's Chelsea is similar to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea - tight at the back - and the recipients inside the area, Tim Cahill and Andy Johnson, were kept quiet for most of the match.

The second stingiest defence in the league coped brilliantly with what came into the danger zone and the only time Ricardo Carvalho and his backline were found wanting was when Joloen Lescott was allowed a free header from 12 yards, which Cech saved low.

Cech, whose wife gave birth to their first child earlier in the day, had little else to do in the first 45 minutes, but neither did opposite number Howard.

The American was called into action only once during the same period when he crouched down to save an Anelka shot from 14 yards.

The French striker, who ambled with intent, went a lot closer straight after the restart when his curling shot rebounded off the crossbar from 18 yards after a good hold-and-pass from Cole.

The scare served as a reminder to Everton that they could not afford to lose concentration and they also needed to improve their ideas at the other end.

Neville took it upon himself to haul Everton back into the match, but his charge and vicious shot was well saved by Cech.

The Czech keeper had only just dusted himself off before going down again to deflect away a Jagielka flick.

Had they scored, the game would have taken on a different tone, but instead Chelsea went up the other end and all but secured their place at Wembley thanks to a sublime finish from Cole.

The England midfielder's one touch and half-volley from Malouda's searching ball gave Howard no chance.

Everton: Howard, Neville, Jagielka, Lescott, Nuno Valente, Osman, Cahill, Carsley (Anichebe 70), Arteta, Fernandes (Vaughan 78), Johnson.

Subs Not Used: Wessels, Hibbert, Stubbs.

Booked: Carsley, Fernandes, Nuno Valente, Neville.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Alex, Bridge, Makelele, Malouda (Ashley Cole 90), Sidwell, Joe Cole (Pizarro 82), Wright-Phillips, Anelka (Ben-Haim 90).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ferreira.

Booked: Makelele, Belletti.

Goals: Joe Cole 69.

Agg (1-3)

Att: 37,086

Ref: Steve Bennett (Kent).

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Chelsea's Petr Cech 7.84 (on 90 minutes).

Chelsea snap up Argentine starlet

Chelsea have signed Argentina Under-20 international striker Franco Di Santo on a four-and-a-half year contract.

The 18-year-old arrives at Stamford Bridge from Chilean side Audax Italiano for an undisclosed fee.

Despite standing 6ft 4in tall Di Santo, who holds an Italian passport, has been compared to diminutive Argentina legend Diego Maradona.

Chelsea have reportedly paid more than £3m for Di Santo, who was also linked with Manchester United and Liverpool.

Wigan v Chelsea

JJB Stadium

Saturday 26 January

Fourth Round

Kick-off: 1715 GMT

Referee: Uriah Rennie (South Yorkshire)

Replay: Wed, 13 February, 1945 GMT

BBC coverage: Live, BBC ONE, BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

Emile Heskey has overcome a back injury to face Chelsea while defenders Erik Edman and Maynor Figueroa both received international clearance this week.

With only Ryan Taylor (knee) out, Steve Bruce has a virtually fully-fit squad.

Chelsea are waiting on the fitness of Michael Ballack (calf), while John Terry (foot), Andriy Shevchenko (back) and Frank Lampard (thigh) all miss out.

Salomon Kalou, Mikel John Obi, Michael Essien and Didier Drogba are all on international duty.

Wigan (from): Kirkland, Granqvist, Palacios, Sibierski, Kilbane, Heskey, Koumas, Brown, Aghahowa, Valencia, Boyce, Scharner, Bramble, Olembe, Cotterill, Skoko, Melchiot, Bent, Edman, Figueroa, Pollitt.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, A Cole, Bridge, Carvalho, Ben-Haim, Alex, Sidwell, J Cole, Malouda, Pizarro, Anelka, Wright-Phillips, Makelele, Ballack.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Holders Chelsea continue their quest for silverware on all four fronts.

Three days after booking a place at Wembley for the Carling Cup final with Tottenham, by defeating Everton, the Blues face another north-west Premier League club in Wigan.

The Latics disposed of fellow Premier League strugglers Sunderland 0-1 at the Stadium of Light in the last round, and now face tougher opposite on their own territory.

There were a record number of nine Premier League casualties in the third round. This is one of three all-Premier League ties in round four that will ensure at least three more top division teams fall by the wayside.

Chelsea are 14 places higher than Wigan in the Premier League table.

FA CUP RECORDS AND BEST PERFORMANCES

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Current form

Won two of the last five; lost the last two at home.

Recent FA Cup performance

Only their second appearance in the fourth round in 21 attempts, since gracing the quarter-finals in 1987; two years ago they lost away to Manchester City at this last 32 stage.

The Manager

Steve Bruce has two FA Cup winners' medals; winning with Manchester United in 1990 and 1994.

FA Cup fact

Wigan were a third level club when they went on their club record run in 1987, eventually meeting their match in Leeds (second tier), in the last eight and succumbing to goals from John Stiles and Micky Adams at Springfield Park.

CHELSEA

Current form

Won the last seven and undefeated in 10; won nine and drawn one (all comps) since losing 1-0 away to Arsenal in the Premier League on 16 December - their only loss in 27.

Recent FA Cup performance

Not been eliminated before the fifth round since their third round exit to Manchester United in 1998.

The Manager

Avram Grant has won one domestic cup as a coach; he guided Maccabi Tel Aviv to the Israeli Cup in 1994.

FA Cup fact

Holland's Ruud Gullit was the first man from outside the British Isles to manage an FA Cup winning side, when he guided Chelsea to victory over Middlesbrough in 1997.

HEAD to HEAD

All competitions

Chelsea have won all five league meetings against Wigan, including this season's at the JJB Stadium, 0-2 on 3 November last year when Frank Lampard and Juliano Belletti were on target.

FA Cup

Wigan won their first ever meeting, when as a fourth division side they dismissed the second division Londoners 1-0 in the third round on 14 January 1980 with a goal from Tommy Gore. Chelsea turned the tables in a third round replay five years later at Springfield Park, winning 0-5, with four from Kerry Dixon, including one from the penalty spot. David Speedie got the other. Paul Jewell and Mike Newell earned that replay, scoring both goals for Wigan in the 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Wigan 1-2 Chelsea

Nicolas Anelka scored his first goal for Chelsea to help them beat Wigan in their FA Cup fourth-round tie.

The opening half was highly forgettable with Joe Cole's first-minute shot the only real effort of note.

But eight minutes after the interval Anelka put Chelsea ahead with a sublime volley from Juliano Belletti's pass.

Anelka set up Shaun Wright-Phillips to make it 2-0 before Antoine Sibierski pulled a goal back with a super volley, while Marcus Bent hit the bar late on.

The Wigan pitch looked in a poor state and unfortunately the quality of the football in the first half was no better.

With a wide, boggy stripe running right down the centre of the field, it was perhaps unsurprising that neither side opted to pass their way through it.

But that made for a scrappy, fragmented match as the ball spent a fair amount of time pinging about in the air.

It might have played to Wigan's advantage but striker Emile Heskey struggled to impose himself on the game and

And the one time the striker did make a telling contribution, Marcus Bent allowed the pass to run across his body and Wayne Bridge nipped in to clear.

At the other end, Anelka was largely anonymous, but Cole showed glimpses of attacking verve without making a breakthrough.

Aside from Cole's early strike, there was nothing that resembled a chance in the opening period.

Chelsea, though, were the team who had showed a little more control and creativity and they deservedly took the lead on 53 minutes.

Belletti chipped a teasing pass into the box and Anelka, with one eye fixed on the onrushing Chris Kirkland, steered a sublime volley into the net.

Shortly after, Wright-Phillips showed purpose with a direct run but his shot lacked precision and did not trouble Kirkland.

Cech, though, was called into action to prevent Heskey's shot sneaking in at the near post.

But as Wigan pressed for an equaliser they were undone by some route one football.

Anelka raced clear after beating Kevin Kilbane to Cech's long goal-kick and the Frenchman squared the ball to provide Wright-Phillips with the simplest finish.

Wigan appeared to be out of the game by then, but Sibierski produced a moment of sheer brilliance to give them a lifeline when he controlled the ball on his chest, swivelled and smashed an edge-of-the-box volley into the top corner.

An unlikely comeback was almost completed when Bent lashed a shot against the bar, but Chelsea held on to progress to the fifth round.

Wigan manager Steve Bruce:

"I thought we had a real good chance but the one thing you cannot do is make individual errors. We made a couple that have cost us the game.

"We looked as though we were trying to play offside but that is a big risk against someone like Nicolas Anelka.

"It is a real shame because we had a chance to nick this one."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"We did a very good job. It was not easy to play on that pitch but we did try to play good football.

"We scored two nice goals, we controlled the game and the defenders did a really good job.

"When were 2-0 we almost let it slip when they scored but I think we deserved the win."

Wigan: Kirkland, Melchiot, Bramble, Scharner, Kilbane, Valencia, Brown, Palacios (Sibierski 77), Taylor (Koumas 58), Bent, Heskey (Aghahowa 85).

Subs Not Used: Pollitt, Boyce.

Booked: Bramble, Scharner, Palacios, Aghahowa.

Goals: Sibierski 87.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Alex, Bridge, Malouda (Ferreira 80), Makelele, Sidwell, Wright-Phillips, Joe Cole, Anelka (Pizarro 90).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Sinclair, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Alex, Carvalho.

Goals: Anelka 53, Wright-Phillips 82.

Att: 14,166

Ref: Uriah Rennie (S Yorkshire).

Anelka quality shines through

Nicolas Anelka opened his Chelsea account as the FA Cup holders booked their place in the fifth round at the expense of Wigan.

A deft flick with the outside of Anelka's right boot guided the ball beyond Chris Kirkland from Juliano Belletti's superb through ball in the first moment of real quality to light up an otherwise poor game at the JJB Stadium.

The £15million signing from Bolton then turned provider as he shrugged off Kevin Kilbane's weak challenge before squaring for Shaun Wright-Phillips to slot home through Kirkland's legs eight minutes from time.

Substitute Antoine Sibierski smashed home a superb effort from the edge of the area five minutes later to give Wigan hope of a comeback, but they could not fashion an equaliser, despite Marcus Bent rattling the top of the bar in added time.

Michael Brown could also find himself in hot water after felling Claude Makelele with a stray elbow, which incensed the entire Chelsea bench, but was missed by referee Uriah Rennie and his assistants.

The visitors started brightly and after just 50 seconds Chelsea swiftly ripped through the Latics, culminating in Steve Sidwell sliding the ball on for Joe Cole, making his 200th appearance for the club.

But the man who despatched a clinical shot to see off Everton in midweek was this time wide with a curled right-foot shot from the edge of the area.

After that, Wigan tightened up considerably in defence, with their only other moment of consternation in the opening period arriving in the 11th minute.

When Kilbane collided with Anelka in the area there were Chelsea appeals for a penalty, but referee Rennie chose to dismiss the protests.

A scrappy affair followed, not helped by the rutted JJB Stadium pitch which has given Wigan manager Steve Bruce recent cause for concern.

There was one pass from Emile Heskey played into the path of Bent, but with only Cech to beat, Wayne Bridge produced a perfectly-timed tackle to thwart the danger.

That was it as far as the first half went, so mercifully for all concerned the second half did not follow a similar pattern, with the goal the game needed arriving six minutes after the restart.

After Ryan Taylor had been robbed of the ball inside the centre circle, Chelsea broke to devastating effect, culminating in Belletti's weighted pass into the heart of the area.

With Titus Bramble just playing Anelka onside, the Frenchman beat the advancing Kirkland to the ball to stab home from 12 yards for his 12th goal of the season overall.

Wigan, though, could have drawn level three minutes later, only for the legs of Cech to deny Heskey's effort from the corner of the six-yard box.

Following that came a moment of controversy that had the entire Chelsea bench jumping off their feet and into the technical area in protest as, off the ball, Brown caught Chelsea captain Makelele in the throat with an elbow, yet neither Rennie nor his assistant saw the incident.

Chelsea then clinched their place in the fifth round in the 82nd minute, initially after left-back Kilbane lost a 50-50 challenge with Anelka in the right-back position.

Anelka ran on towards the area and slipped a ball across the 18-yard box for Wright-Phillips to sidefoot home through the legs of Kirkland for his sixth goal of the season.

Chelsea should then have seen the game out, but first came Sibierski's immaculate strike from the edge of the area, prior to Blues' hearts pounding with Bent's effort. But Grant's side, though, continue to march on in all four competitions.

Another scrap brought about by the state of the pitch.For a premiership club,it was a disgrace.My cynical mind tells me that Wigan did nothing to improve the surface before the game because they knew that Chelsea's slick passing game would wash them away.What they now know is that we can battle as well as play.I'm concerned about playing Malouda with an injury,as Avram Grant admitted a few days ago.He's not showing that explosive pace over the first ten yards which gets him away from players.Whats wrong with playing Scott Sinclair,in the meantime?What I am seeing now from the team is an utter belief and confidence that we can win every game.

Another scrap brought about by the state of the pitch.For a premiership club,it was a disgrace.My cynical mind tells me that Wigan did nothing to improve the surface before the game because they knew that Chelsea's slick passing game would wash them away.What they now know is that we can battle as well as play.I'm concerned about playing Malouda with an injury,as Avram Grant admitted a few days ago.He's not showing that explosive pace over the first ten yards which gets him away from players.Whats wrong with playing Scott Sinclair,in the meantime?What I am seeing now from the team is an utter belief and confidence that we can win every game.

The pitch wasn't great and the 1st half in particular wasn't very pleasing on the eye, very scrappy but our quality shone through in the end. I'm really glad Anelka got off the mark, hopefully he will bang in sh*t loads for us now. I was thinking something must be up with Malouda because he wasn't going in for the 50/50's and his pass didn't seem to be there.

I have noticed though, most of the tv pundits have been heaping praise on us cos we have been just going along and doing the business which makes a change of late. I can't wait to see what we can achieve when all the squad is back together, could this be our year for the quadruple? :o

The pitch wasn't great and the 1st half in particular wasn't very pleasing on the eye, very scrappy but our quality shone through in the end. I'm really glad Anelka got off the mark, hopefully he will bang in sh*t loads for us now. I was thinking something must be up with Malouda because he wasn't going in for the 50/50's and his pass didn't seem to be there.

I have noticed though, most of the tv pundits have been heaping praise on us cos we have been just going along and doing the business which makes a change of late. I can't wait to see what we can achieve when all the squad is back together, could this be our year for the quadruple? :o

Well now,a win fourfold would be very handy! :D Mr.S,me and the missus have tried spotting you two in the crowd but no success.

Well now,a win fourfold would be very handy! :D Mr.S,me and the missus have tried spotting you two in the crowd but no success.

Haha thanks for looking mate, its strange we get good seats at times near the front and you would of thought we would of been seen on tv already but when I watch the highlights I lookout for us also to no avail, obviously I know exactly where I was sitting so I have a better idea but the cameras don't pick us up.

We won't be at another game until the FA Cup tie against Huddersfield, so don't strain your eyes too much mate. :D

Chelsea v Reading

Chelsea are waiting on the fitness of Germany midfielder Michael Ballack (calf strain) for the visit of Reading.

John Terry, Andriy Shevchenko and Frank Lampard are injured and four others are at the Africa Cup of Nations.

Reading are without striker Shane Long (ban), midfielder Brynjar Gunnarsson (groin), defender Michael Duberry (knee) and wing Jimmy Kebe (hamstring).

John Oster has recovered from an ankle injury but Ibrahima Sonko, Andre Bikey and Emerse Fae are also in Africa.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, A Cole, Bridge, Carvalho, Ben-Haim, Alex, Sidwell, J Cole, Malouda, Pizarro, Anelka, Wright-Phillips, Makelele, Ballack.

Reading (from): Hahnemann, Federici, Murty, Rosenior, de la Cruz, Ingimarsson, Cisse, Shorey, Oster, Matejovsky, Harper, Hunt, Convey, Doyle, Kitson, Lita, Pearce, Henry, Bennett, Cox.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea, chasing quadruple honours, resume the battle to break into the Premier League's top two automatic Champions League qualifying spots.

The Blues are the "form" team in the highest league, on the longest current winning run of four; Reading are out of form, on a run of four straight league defeats.

Chelsea are unbeaten in six league games; Reading are pressing for a first win in six.

Avram Grant's club are unbeaten at home in the Premier League; Steve Coppell's are yet to claim a first league victory away from home.

The Stamford Bridge club are looking to extend their unbeaten home league run to 75 matches; Reading are without a maximum on the road in 12.

Chelsea have not beaten Reading in a home league match since 1929.

CLUB FORM

CHELSEA

(all statistics are ahead of the current round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Won the last eight in all competitions, and undefeated in 11.

2. Lost one of the last 28 in all competitions.

3. Not dropped a point in four matches, since that epic 4-4 home draw against Aston Villa on Boxing Day. Not won five league games on the spin since their run of nine on the bounce between 31 January and 18 April last season.

4. Hoping to add the scalp of Reading to those of Newcastle (h), Fulham (a), Tottenham (h) and Birmingham (a). Won 15 Premier League matches; only Manchester United (17) and Arsenal (16) have won more. Also, dropped 19 Premier League points; only Manchester United and Arsenal have dropped fewer (15 each).

5. Conceded 16 Premier League goals, at one every 129 minutes (two hours nine minutes) on average; only Manchester United (11) have a tighter defence.

6. Kept 13 clean sheets in the highest league; only the Red Devils surpass that with 14.

7. Won three Premier League games in which they were losing; only Arsenal and Blackburn have won more matches in which they were trailing (four each).

8. Collected 50 cards, of which five were red in Premier League competition; only Blackburn and Fulham have also had five players sent off. Only Blackburn players have been shown a higher total number of cards in the Premier League (52).

9. Won 40 and drawn 15 of 55 at home in all competitions since the 1-2 defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League on 22 February 2006. Not lost a league game at the Bridge since the 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 55, drawn 19). Not lost in 93 domestic matches in front of the home faithful if penalty shoot-outs are excluded, since the defeat to Arsenal 23 months ago.

10. After this is a visit to Portsmouth, a heavyweight home clash with Liverpool, the FA Cup fifth round tie, home to Huddersfield, the resumption of the Champions League, away to Olympiakos, and the Carling Cup final, against Tottenham at Wembley.

READING

(all statistics are ahead of the current round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Lost their last four league games against Tottenham (a), Portsmouth (h), Aston Villa (a) and Manchester United (h), and in danger of losing five successive games for the first time in the Premier League.

2. No wins in seven; drawn two and lost five league and cup games.

3. Without a win in five league matches; drawn one and lost four since beating Sunderland 2-1 at home on 22 December - their only victory in seven league outings.

4. The second poorest defence in the highest league having leaked 49 goals in 23 matches; only rock bottom Derby have shipped more (50).

5. On the longest sequence in the Premier League without a clean sheet of 14 matches, since the 1-0 home win over Derby on 7 October.

6. This is their 14th Premier League match against a "big four" club. Won only one of the previous 13; 3-1, home to Liverpool on 8 December.

7. Gained one point out of a last possible 21 against London clubs, and achieved one win in the last 11 against clubs from the capital; that being 1-0 home to Fulham on 14 April last season.

8. Gained 16 more points at home than away; only Manchester City have a wider disparity of 20 points.

9. One of five clubs without an away win in the current Premier League campaign; and without an away league maximum in 12 matches; drawn four and lost eight on their travels since winning 1-3 at Bolton on 21 April.

10. This match is followed by a home clash with Bolton, a visit to Everton and a game against Aston Villa at the Madejski.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA and Frank LAMPARD are Chelsea's top scorers with nine goals each.

DROGBA, LAMPARD and Salomon KALOU are the clubs' joint leading marksmen in the Premier League, with five goals each.

LAMPARD is one shy of 100 goals for Chelsea.

DROGBA is a hat-trick short of 50 Premier League goals in Chelsea colours.

(When fit), LAMPARD will be making his 550th club career appearance (West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea).

JOE COLE will be making his 350th club career appearance (West Ham and Chelsea).

Steven SIDWELL will be facing a former club. The 24 year old midfielder made 187 appearances (168 in the league) and scored 30 goals (29 league) for Reading between January 2003 and his move to Stamford Bridge in May 2007.

READING

Dave KITSON is Reading's top scorer with eight Premier League goals. He is joint 10th in the Premier League top scorers list, and the highest Englishman.

Leroy LITA needs to score one to total 50 career league goals (Bristol City and Reading).

Marcus HAHNEMANN is the only remaining player to have been involved in every minute of every one of Reading's Premier League matches this term.

Ibrahima SONKO received the fastest red card in Premier League history, when sent off in the fourth minute against Portsmouth on New Years Day.

Kevin DOYLE will be making his 100th career league appearance - all in Reading colours.

Shane LONG will be making his 50th career league appearance - all for Reading.

Adam FEDERICI will be keeping goal on the eve of his 23rd birthday.

Michael DUBERRY will be facing the club where he was a trainee. The 32 year old defender made 115 appearances (86 in the league) and scored three goals (one league) before signing for Leeds in July 1999.

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea will record their first ever league double against Reading, if they secure a first home league victory over them since the 1-0 triumph in the old League - Division Two on 26 October 1929.

The Royals are chasing their first Premier League maximum over the west Londoners, at the fourth attempt.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Chelsea 5 wins, Reading 2, Draws 4

Prem: Chelsea 2 wins, Reading 0, Draws 1

at Chelsea only

League (inc PL): Chelsea 2 wins, Reading 0, Draws 3

Prem: Chelsea 0 wins, Reading 0, Draws 1

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Reading 0-1 Chelsea

14 October 2006 - Ref:

Chelsea scorer: Ingimarsson 45 og

Sent Off: Bikey (Reading) 83, Obi (Chelsea) 62

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Reading 1-2 Chelsea

15 August 2007 - Ref: Mike Dean

Reading scorer: Bikey 30

Chelsea scorers: Lampard 47, Drogba 50

Sent Off: Cisse (Reading) 72

REFEREE

Chris Foy (St Helens, Merseyside)

Ballack: 'Fortress Bridge' key

Michael Ballack insists the title race could be decided at Stamford Bridge.

The German says that Chelsea's home form will be the key to the title with both Arsenal and Manchester United yet to visit 'Fortress Bridge'.

Chelsea entertain Arsenal in March and play their showdown clash with Sir Alex Ferguson's side on 26th April and Ballack believes the games will be crucial towards deciding the destination of the title.

"The top teams cannot afford to relax and there is no room for error," said Ballack. "It is a good season for the fans because it is very close and open.

"We hope to take our chance if they slip up but we have to wait and maybe this season the big games will decide it.

"The title could be decided at Stamford Bridge and when these games come we hope to have one or two important players back. I think we have what it takes.

"The games we lost against United and Arsenal this season were very close and were away. In these big games you always have a little advantage if you play at home. You should use this advantage and we want to do that.

"Everybody believes in their stadium and we do to, especially with our record. Nobody else has this. It has an effect of other teams. We are very strong at home and everybody knows this.

"We do not want to give away our record and will fight for it, especially in those games. We have some very experienced players who have been showing that on the pitch and in the dressing room.

"Everybody looks to these players and to Claude Makelele especially. He is always very positive. In this period he has shown a lot of strength and that is very important for everybody.

"We have had problems all season so we cannot get our heads down and complain about injuries. We have to deal with it and have shown we can. Winning the last nine games shows the strength of the team and the mentality."

England midfielder Frank Lampard, recovering from a thigh problem, could be back for their trip to Portsmouth at the weekend sparking fresh speculation that Ballack will be the man to step down.

But the Germany international insists they can both play in the same Chelsea side.

"Frank is a very good player and we need him," said Ballack. "We will have one more option when he is back and we hope that is soon. He has scored a lot of goals and it is not about him, or me or anyone else in midfield. It is always good to have good players in your team.

"I have no problems playing with anybody. It is better to have a good player by your side than a bad one. I think we can put all the doubts to bed. We have played a lot of games together and it is not a problem."

I thought that, in the game against Reading where we completely bossed the first half,a couple of the players got tired in the second half which allowed them to get back in it.It might be that the problems with injuries and losing players to the African Cup is starting to take its toll on the set of midfield players that have been playing week in,week out.In that respect,its good news that Lampard could be available against Portsmouth.I hope that Grant doesn't start him but brings him on at the start of the second half for say,Malouda or SeanWP who have run themselves to a standstill in some games.They are still alright for 45 mins.though.Joe Cole could play for a fortnight the form he's in!Ballack played like he'd never been away-superb!Sidwell needs to step his game up a bit.I'm pleasantly surprised how Pizarro is playing when he comes on.He started playing better after he scored that header.Now he's more confident in himself.It could be that Grant might start him and Anelka up front as Portsmouth have got a big back four and it could wind up a very physical game.