The Euro 2016 Thread

Chicog

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France - Portugal doesn't sound like a lot of fun to be honest , but I hope I am wrong.

I think we'll see a boring game with no goals and extra time .

Reckon it'll be real close, all defensive and boring (most finals are) -- 1-1, extra time, anybody's game. I guess the Froggies could do with winning being's as their country is in such a mess... all this Brexit and UK-going-down tripe talk has clouded the fact that France as a country is an utter shambles. smile.png

To have any chance of winning anything UK will need to field an additional team along the lines of Rugby's Lions.

The name should be kept short to avoid that PC nonsence.

'Great Britain' or 'the British Isles' does it for me, but if they manage to win this can be shortened to 'England' smile.png

Indeed, but you don't need to do any of the above for some England success. The talent is there. Simply stop moddy-coddling the 'entitled' players and bring in a younger manager (you know, someone that has played competitively within the last half century) with plenty of drive -- Alan Shearer for me.

Hello!!!

My wife bought 600 post-cards to bet on the game with the Thai-Lotto.

One great example why I dont like to give her pocket money lol and 555.

She sat writing her picks (50%FRANCE/50%The winners) for an hour.

Go Portugal!!

Well, I must say that I didn't see this coming. Nice to see something good happening to my home country, it's been a while and it's badly needed.

We've been overwhelmed by the Germans but stood firm, and realism made the rest. 58 years since we've last beaten them in official match, that's something to celebrate.

Portugal won't be a piece of cake, these guys have elevated realism to an art and Ronaldo is on a rising curve.

With so many Portuguese in France (even in my own condo) that's going to be a real battle of supporters too.

To have any chance of winning anything UK will need to field an additional team along the lines of Rugby's Lions.

The name should be kept short to avoid that PC nonsence.

'Great Britain' or 'the British Isles' does it for me, but if they manage to win this can be shortened to 'England' smile.png

Indeed, but you don't need to do any of the above for some England success. The talent is there. Simply stop moddy-coddling the 'entitled' players and bring in a younger manager (you know, someone that has played competitively within the last half century) with plenty of drive -- Alan Shearer for me.

I was with you...until you mentioned Alan Shearer.

Full marks to you guys who went for a Portugese win. They seemed to play better after Ronaldo went off injured. A poor game but unlikely to worry anyone in Lisbon. After the disappointment of 2004 they will relish the victory.

I have long held the view that host nations should be prevented from competing or only allowed to enter in an honorary capacity with no chance of running away with it, not least because of the number of times they end up in a final or winning.

I'm talking all team sports where home advantage plays it's part.

En-ger-lund would never have won the world cup had it not been at home and so close in time to something Basil Fawlty daren't mention :)

(Everyone in the terraces that day had lost family members or had been bombed out of their homes. It can't have been easy for the losing side either who I hope will see where i'm coming from!)

First Portugal did an Iceland, with digging in, like a small team.

Right Ronaldo?

Then Portugal did a Greece, by being the crappiest of all teams, and go on to win it.

The best team of the day was actually the Referee Team.

Final curtain for the histrionically worst Euro ever.

Since i was over in Europe since late May i got see most games. Portugal really didn't look that great. Missed the Wales game where i believe Portugal were better. But a bit of luck can help in these tournies. It looks like the Portugese had that.But no one really shone this year. Now back in Sydney and missed the final. Jet lag has <deleted> me up. No stand out team. IMHO.

Tottenham players racked up more minutes at Euro 2016 than any other Premier League club.

And a survey found that Mauricio Pochettinos Spurs bore the brunt of that. Tottenham players clocked up a total of 3,544 minutes, over 900 more than the side with the second-most minutes played north London rivals Arsenal.

Eleven Tottenham players saw action at Euro 2016 with nine named in at least three starting line-ups in a total of 38 starts overall, meaning Pochettino may need to rotate carefully with a Champions League campaign to negotiate as well as domestic competition.Six Arsenal players racked up a combined 28 starts and 2,625 minutes of playing time. Manchester City had the same number of starters as Arsenal but accumulated a slightly lower 2,499 minutes on the pitch.Liverpool were the only club to match Tottenham in having 11 different players feature at the tournament but the Reds representatives clocked up a much lower 1,774 minutes between them and only had two players Joe Allen and Martin Skrtel who started more than three matches.

Archived